• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
too many aerial approaches in game 1, they were way too obvious I guess. Don't approach with Dair, only use it as a punish tool if they use a laggy move, or you predict they'll roll into you. Too much airdodging as well. Game 2 was a lot better, it looked like you shoulda won. I don't think that Fsmash at the end should have killed you, but I could be wrong. If you held the control stick toward the stage you probably would've lived... unless you did, in which case never mind.
Do you know the Pikachu matchup? It's hard if you don't know it, and even if you do, it's not easy. Kirby does more damage per hit than Pikachu, so that helps even it up, but Pikachu is faster in pretty much every regard so it's hard to get hits in, and his moves tend to outprioritize ours. The disjoint on his F-air screws us, for example.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey all, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. We have a video series detailing a breakdown on the latest patch and we recently released a video for various characters including Kirby. Hope you enjoy!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
There's really nothing wrong with posting any Kirby related videos in here. Preferably of smash 4 matches, but hey we could use some excitement if it's something a little different maybe kinda.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882

Just recently started watching this youtuber. She mains Kirby and Sonic I believe.
She's got a pretty solid Kirby and played 2 matches against the megaman player using him.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Sup fellow pink, squishy star warriors! Got a match of my Kirby vs. @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd 's Dr. Mario online. Feel free to critique where I had the most trouble in, because I'm pretty sure I missed a few free punishes (and a few reckless mistakes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_tm-iRFN84

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Be wary, the lag caused that first SD LOL. It affected both of us so the match may not be the BEST, but it's recent!

Accursed internet, being fickle at a time like this....

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Hey, is there anyone willing to process a replay I have of a Kirby ditto between me and @SapphSabre777? The video is too long for me to process, so I'd like to see if anyone would like to have me send it to them and process it on Youtube for me if that's alright.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Unfortunately, the framerate is the worst thing in history, at least for grand finals. ;_;7:031:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Aw, that's a shame. There were fun combos to be seen involving Pivot Up-Tilts and zero-to-deaths. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for another chance to get on stream.

smesty

Smash Cadet
Matches were being captured at the tournament I went to last weekend and while there was no internet available at the venue for streaming the host has uploaded the captured videos to his YouTube channel. (all thanks can be directed @Jaxas for the awesome TOing and video capture).

I went all Kirby/Meta Knight at this tournament.
Here are the Kirby videos that got recorded:

:4kirby: vs :4tlink:/:4jigglypuff:
Bombchu Link (Toon Link, Jigglypuff) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIulOJMR9JM

:4kirby: vs :rosalina:
9Tales (Rosalina & Luma) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT4Jh-aznY

:4kirby: vs :4zss:
t1mmy (Kirby) vs Jaxas (Sheik, Zero Suit Samus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AV35mBugA

I learnt quickly that I don't Grab, Pummel or Back Air enough.

Back air is such a good kill option, ive always gone for dair into dsmash but it can be shielded so no wonder i've been having kill issues... :s

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I learnt quickly that I don't Grab, Pummel or Back Air enough.

Back air is such a good kill option, ive always gone for dair into dsmash but it can be shielded so no wonder i've been having kill issues... :s
Only dair>downsmash if your opponent is a floaty. Fast-fallers can DI down and shield before you get the down smash in. If you can read it though, try and go for a grab after the dair on them.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Only dair>downsmash if your opponent is a floaty. Fast-fallers can DI down and shield before you get the down smash in. If you can read it though, try and go for a grab after the dair on them.
Fast-falling the D-air can reduce the number of hits which gives the opponent fewer chances to DI. Hitting with one or two D-air hits will still give you a chance to combo into the landing hit -> D-smash more often than not. If they're already mashing Down for Spot Dodges or D-smashes, then maybe they'll accidentally DI correctly on the first hit of D-air, but then, like you said, just Grab (I tend to F-tilt fast-fallers just to get them off-stage at a lower angle, or D-tilt and go for a Trip).

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Fast-falling the D-air can reduce the number of hits which gives the opponent fewer chances to DI. Hitting with one or two D-air hits will still give you a chance to combo into the landing hit -> D-smash more often than not. If they're already mashing Down for Spot Dodges or D-smashes, then maybe they'll accidentally DI correctly on the first hit of D-air, but then, like you said, just Grab (I tend to F-tilt fast-fallers just to get them off-stage at a lower angle, or D-tilt and go for a Trip).
Sweet! I'll have to try that then!

BTW, off-topic, but I have some videos I'd like to share for critique, but those videos are too long for YT to process, would it be alright if I sent them to you?

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Although I screwed up later (trying too hard to style with Final Cutter), that would quite the 2-Stock. Also, 0-to-death at the beginning!
Edit: this video is now on Omni's Top 5

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Isn't he a beautiful character? (against fast fallers, and especially with customs)
Even though he's not-great, no other character feels as satisfying to me when things just work.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isn't he a beautiful character? (against fast fallers, and especially with customs)
Even though he's not-great, no other character feels as satisfying to me when things just work.
He is really is. I tried to capture that beauty with the music selection and by fading out the game sound. I zone out and feel at peace when I've got a good string going. : )

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
stealing Mikekirby's chance to post his own videos here because I happened to see this linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHN5em6KcCQ&list=PLz7rkkbQbM0mos_dUZFT694b2RTe1PXwP&index=2 Mike vs Johnnumber's Luigi
It shows how SUPER SCARED Kirby is forced to play against Luigi, since he's like a mini Ice Climbers that you're not able to separate >_<
Question MikeKirby MikeKirby , I'm on game 3 and I haven't seen you use Dair to edgeguard Luigi when he recovers from directly below the stage with double jump+UpB? You've done some Bair edgeguards, but I find Dair to be the easiest because its lingering hitboxes should catch Luigi every time and gimp him for free, if you time it right. Am I missing something?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
stealing Mikekirby's chance to post his own videos here because I happened to see this linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHN5em6KcCQ&list=PLz7rkkbQbM0mos_dUZFT694b2RTe1PXwP&index=2 Mike vs Johnnumber's Luigi
It shows how SUPER SCARED Kirby is forced to play against Luigi, since he's like a mini Ice Climbers that you're not able to separate >_<
Question MikeKirby MikeKirby , I'm on game 3 and I haven't seen you use Dair to edgeguard Luigi when he recovers from directly below the stage with double jump+UpB? You've done some Bair edgeguards, but I find Dair to be the easiest because its lingering hitboxes should catch Luigi every time and gimp him for free, if you time it right. Am I missing something?
That must be the best Kirby I've seen, he even did the HUP cancel!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I feel like I need to get better at gimping Luigi but his Up-B has a disjointed hitbox and is invincible during like maybe the first half of the move. It's so dumb.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Ugh...that Luigi matchup. Looks like John Numbers is sick of the Kirby vs. Wii Fit Trainer matchup so he's decided to work on a counter. If only Final Cutter had more range. Maybe we could afford to take Luigi to a flat stage. Hmm, I noticed you got a lot of Up B spikes which is nice (guess it's not such a useless trick huh?) but didn't go for Down B offstage. Did you think it was too risky? It would have beaten Up B as long as you didn't land on the sweetspot.

Also, I saw you go Meta Knight in one game. Since you aren't above using secondaries (which I feel is a great thing), have you considered co-maining characters like :4megaman:,:4rob:, or :4pacman:? I personally use R.O.B and Pac-Man as secondaries and they do wonders slaughtering Luigi.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I need to get better at gimping Luigi but his Up-B has a disjointed hitbox and is invincible during like maybe the first half of the move. It's so dumb.
I feel your pain. I've tried countless time to dair a Luigi recovering and I've finally come to terms with not challenging Luigi Cyclone off stage unless I know I could get a stone punish. Even still, stone is not a gimp tool since it pops him up. At most you could hope for is a stage spike from stone. Also watching out for grabs at around 90% so you don't die to dthrow -> Luigi Cyclone is a chore. Having such a solid kill confirm from a grab on floaty characters like that regardless of where they are on the stage makes me quite upset.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I... didn't know Luigi's UpB has invincibility. At least, not the aerial version.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I... didn't know Luigi's UpB has invincibility. At least, not the aerial version.
So many characters have somewhat invincible recovery specials while we get Final Cutter that isn't invincible nor does it snap to the ledge.......

Donnasoph

Smash Rookie
NNID
Donnasoph
Some a lot more I put up best online MM and bowser jr I thought :p

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Don't necessarily quote me on the invincibility on the up-B but I just feel like my d-airs never touch him because of how possibly disjointed it is. I can try to stone but it takes heavy commitment and I'm giving up stage control of I miss.

I trying to pick up Meta Knight because he is one of the characters I used for fun. :)
Fun factor is the sole reason I play this game and Kirby. It's surprising I know! :o
It seems he has a 50/50 match-up vs Luigi and it definitely feels better than Kirby. But now I have to work on learning a wide variety of match-ups with him because counter picking is a tricky thing.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Don't necessarily quote me on the invincibility on the up-B but I just feel like my d-airs never touch him because of how possibly disjointed it is. I can try to stone but it takes heavy commitment and I'm giving up stage control of I miss.

I trying to pick up Meta Knight because he is one of the characters I used for fun. :)
Fun factor is the sole reason I play this game and Kirby. It's surprising I know! :o
It seems he has a 50/50 match-up vs Luigi and it definitely feels better than Kirby. But now I have to work on learning a wide variety of match-ups with him because counter picking is a tricky thing.
I feel like it's a really good mindset to have actually, and sometimes, I really need to just unwind alot more even in serious matches so I can avoid stressful over-thinking. That being said, do you ever feel you get more mileage out of the game perfecting a single character or trying out different ones to work out counterpicks?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Just a bunch of Kirby videos of me. For Glory mostly, although a few friendlies from a recent tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8qLr1t0exRPBt8y2ciOcSlhSxvGimJ4s
So out of curiosity, and I don't mean any offense, but why is your tag WinterKirby when you play a red Kirby? Sounds more like a SummerKirby to me. lol

But anyway, I'd recommend using fair a bit more to cover your approaches, it's a pretty okay way of spacing yourself out from an opponent to create breathing space, just don't do it too much, especially in midrange, as it has a little bit of landing lag. Mostly, I feel like you need to work on your spacing, I noticed times you went for dtilt or nairs when a bair/fair or utilt would've been more applicable (I'd only toss a nair if I need to intercept another move). Look more into potential combos out of fthrow as well to better your punish game. Anyhoo, keep at it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom