• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I agree with the stuff Eevee said, learn the timing to tech warlock choke or whatever it's called. I don't think teching it actually guarantees your safety, but the option is necessary if you want to not die. Kirby dies so easily in this matchup. And the tech timing for this move always seemed strange to me.

RIP Kirby when using Final Cutter, Upper Cutter is so necessary ;_;

Playing against Ganon shows what the core of the game (and any fighting game) is truly about: don't do anything dumb and get hit. Ganondorf has a few terrifyingly fast and strong disjointed moves, like Dtilt and Upair, but overall he's slow and you should be able to react to just about anything he does. When you were at high % first game, and had taken the first stock, you should have camped your butt off. This is probably true in most matchups, but especially someone as slow as Ganondorf: if you have the stock lead, try not to approach, and rack up as much damage as you can before you lose your stock. If you're like me, you like going aggressive, but it's a bad idea when Ganondorf can make one read and kill you with an Upair that easily beats ALL of your aerials.

Good job respecting the Ganoncide when he was offstage, that's a sad way to lose. You shouldn't have given up though, it was still very winnable. Take his stock and get some uptilt combos, force him offstage and gimp him, it's possible.
Thanks guys for the tips. I was making a bet with someone on the skype group about warlock punch and I didn't think I had a chance, a side-b would've taken it since I couldn't get the tech timing. I'll definitely try the things you and @Eevee!! said. :)

pnoid

Smash Cadet
I'm going to try and got on this feedback train if I can help it!

I've been reviewing my own footage, and of course looking at Mikekirbies videos, for the past month or so.

There are a couple recently I cannot tell what's going wrong. Am I being read? Or do I just not know this matchup? Is my spacing incorrect? What is separates me from kicking ass like @MikeKirby?

Here I have 4 parts of my "losing compilation" linked from the highest priority games i'd like critiqued to the lowest:

Highest priority -> Lowest
vs Samus:
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=192
vs Pit
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=603
vs Greninja:
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=11
vs Captain falcon (oh god the horror, I dun goofed a lot in here):
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=457

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I'm going to try and got on this feedback train if I can help it!

I've been reviewing my own footage, and of course looking at Mikekirbies videos, for the past month or so.

There are a couple recently I cannot tell what's going wrong. Am I being read? Or do I just not know this matchup? Is my spacing incorrect? What is separates me from kicking *** like @MikeKirby?

Here I have 4 parts of my "losing compilation" linked from the highest priority games i'd like critiqued to the lowest:

Highest priority -> Lowest
vs Samus:
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=192
vs Pit
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=603
vs Greninja:
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=11
vs Captain falcon (oh god the horror, I dun goofed a lot in here):
https://youtu.be/PBMGL4vfU90?t=457

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
I watched about a minute of the first one, and while it isn't much, here is a couple things.

• You're being too aggro, Kirby doesn't have many approaach options so you're getting punished.
  • You're not u-tilting, which is arguably one of his best moves.
  • You're d-airs can be seen from a mile away.
  • You dash attack too much.
  • You approach by short hop aerials, and you aren't being safe doing it. That Samus hit you with so many z-airs because of it.

pnoid

Smash Cadet
I watched about a minute of the first one, and while it isn't much, here is a couple things.

• You're being too aggro, Kirby doesn't have many approaach options so you're getting punished.
  • You're not u-tilting, which is arguably one of his best moves.
  • You're d-airs can be seen from a mile away.
  • You dash attack too much.
  • You approach by short hop aerials, and you aren't being safe doing it. That Samus hit you with so many z-airs because of it.
More questions for you:
--Don't I have to try and be aggro against a defensive Samus? With all those projectiles and all. If not, what's the better strategy?
--How you do you integrate utilt into a game where your opponent is being defensive? I usually use it as a way to punish air aggression or followup to dair (unfortunately doesn't appear to combo with samus)

Reflecting:
-- yeah rewatching the vid there are quite a few bad dash attacks and bad dairs, my goto use for dash attack is to punish rolls, but I should only use it to punish rollaways... looks like i'm trying to read the opponent rolling toward me, he didn't do that... ever. I'll have to watch that!
-- i think my most predictable dairs are near the ledge, or just missed punishes. I think I need to mix up what to do when I have stage control perhaps?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
More questions for you:
--Don't I have to try and be aggro against a defensive Samus? With all those projectiles and all. If not, what's the better strategy?
--How you do you integrate utilt into a game where your opponent is being defensive? I usually use it as a way to punish air aggression or followup to dair (unfortunately doesn't appear to combo with samus)

Reflecting:
-- yeah rewatching the vid there are quite a few bad dash attacks and bad dairs, my goto use for dash attack is to punish rolls, but I should only use it to punish rollaways... looks like i'm trying to read the opponent rolling toward me, he didn't do that... ever. I'll have to watch that!
-- i think my most predictable dairs are near the ledge, or just missed punishes. I think I need to mix up what to do when I have stage control perhaps?
I would suggest getting an inhale vs a Samus, but even without it you were sprinting in and throwing out attacks. You can bait projectiles, rolls, etc.

Get close, spot dodge projectiles and get them into a bad spot. Every time you went for a d-air, you probably would have been better with a fastfall then u-tilt, since u-tilt is safe and fast.

ALSO, when you d-air, you fastfall the d-air to try and finish it early just in case you miss, which means you won't get as much damage off of a d-air if it hits. Try to see if the d-air hits before you fastfall it into the ground, a full d-air is 9%. Don't waste percent, especially as Kirby.

Last edited:

pnoid

Smash Cadet
I would suggest getting an inhale vs a Samus, but even without it you were sprinting in and throwing out attacks. You can bait projectiles, rolls, etc.

Get close, spot dodge projectiles and get them into a bad spot. Every time you went for a d-air, you probably would have been better with a fastfall then u-tilt, since u-tilt is safe and fast.

ALSO, when you d-air, you fastfall the d-air to try and finish it early just in case you miss, which means you won't get as much damage off of a d-air if it hits. Try to see if the d-air hits before you fastfall it into the ground, a full d-air is 9%. Don't waste percent, especially as Kirby.
Thanks for the advice!

Progress is gradual they say right? XD

I'll probably post again in another 6-8 weeks :)

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Charge Shot Combos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXeVnt-0G34
DK Punch Combos: https://youtu.be/MTnwk79Z6Gc

I always feel strange posting these videos here, its not a match or anything... but I feel even weirder trying to post it somewhere else. Its nothing really, just a brief video about 4 (lol) true combos into DK punch. Ill just edit these kinds of videos here, hopefully people will see them lol. OP should make it so tutorial videos have like their own special section.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
@ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D
Nice Kirby :D I appreciate the use of Cstick set to Attack, nice pivot uptilts and upairs! Today I found out how satisfying Cstick Attack Upair spam is, so I think I'm gonna stick to that control scheme from now on... I was stubbornly sticking with default controls, because it was nice not having to make a tag every time I went to a new setup...
I don't know much about you besides the fact that you're that oldschool dude with the Luigi avatar, what do you think about Smash 4 Kirby?

Last edited:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
@ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D
Nice Kirby :D I appreciate the use of Cstick set to Attack, nice pivot uptilts and upairs! Today I found out how satisfying Cstick Attack Upair spam is, so I think I'm gonna stick to that control scheme from now on... I was stubbornly sticking with default controls, because it was nice not having to make a tag every time I went to a new setup...
I don't know much about you besides the fact that you're that oldschool dude with the Luigi avatar, what do you think about Smash 4 Kirby?
Hey, thanks!

I like Kirby in Smash 4. I think he is a decent sort-of counter to some of the fast characters in this game like Sheik, ZSS, and Fox. Neo and I were talking about sleeper-tier characters in this game a few weeks ago, and agreed that Kirby and Peach are two of the most underrated characters. With Kirby's crouch and amazing tilts (all three are very, very good), plus a reliable way to come down on opponents (that way being Dair, which combos into Usmash, Dsmash, Utilt, and grabs, AND can be used to cross up shields), you have a strong character.

One of the keys to success with Kirby is the appropriate usage of pivoting. I've been trying to convince people for months to perfect pivoting. If your opponent DIs Kirby Utilt in front of Kirby, you can continue the combo with a pivot towards them into Utilt. Pivots are also good for extending the reach of Ftilt, as well as offering a solid retreat option in the form of pivot away Ftilt/Dtilt.

So yeah, I think Kirby is pretty decent in this game!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Really like how you use rock to catch air dodges @ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D Ive always thought that to be a great option even in Brawl. And overall really nice work, once you start experimenting with him you will be a monster. Just from watching those videos, you're probably my favorite Kirby to watch.

Last edited:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Really like how you use rock to catch air dodges @ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D Ive always thought that to be a great option even in Brawl. And overall really nice work, once you start experimenting with him you will be a monster. Just from watching those videos, you're probably my favorite Kirby to watch.
One time I caught someone's airdodge with the rock by accident, and I realized how g0dlike it actually is if I make the read. Continuously threatening your opponent with Utilts and Uairs causes them to start jumping out or airdodging out. If you can make the read on the airdodge, the rock is sooooo good. I'm actually trying to catch landings with the Hammer now, too, but that is still a work in progress.

And thanks a lot man. I only recently decided to start putting more time into this game, and Kirby is one of my two mains. Hopefully you'll get to see me on stream at EVO!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

ok I went and watched replays earlier today, and recorded two sets from a month ago because I realized how incredibly sexy my Kirby is

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
So, on the matchup thread I was saying I was making a video that dealt with specific matchups, and I did! Made more sense to post it here though. Check it out, it's mostly on the new forward throw combined with different inhaled special moves. I took the time to check different DI directions as well, so I hope it proves helpful to someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqJZ1k2qSo

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
I got one more video, mostly leftover footage from the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kR5rypLJuM

Still all about inhale, more speculation on fun neutral B things, instead of kill setups.

I'll probably not make anything else immediately, but I wanna get active making videos again, and I might ask folks for ideas/help in the future (especially with Monado Kirby, if anyone has extensive experience using it). Enjoy!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yerrrrrpppp

Thanks for letter me know that the vids are up lol.

I hadnt played the patch before this tournament so my f throw stuff was pretty rough and basic. But i think i played well aside from dying at fkng 50 to down throw fair. Im going to have a lot of kirby videos up after this weekend too so watch out for that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
at 1:16 in the Yoshi game you counter his sourspot Uptilt with Yoshi Bomb... ._. was that like, double jump armor? Man that's annoying!
Even Chudat got 2 stocked by Yoshi! ... although it was on wifi, and it looks like he gave up (that roll spam) because wifi is that annoying.

Did you... did you really get 2 Final Cutter spikes in one game. Oh god lol

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx

Took kirbs into my philly local tourney over the weekend, played decently against this sheik/yoshi! I'm convinced this little puffball is sheiks worst nightmare (by which I mean, it's maybe a 50/50 match up)

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Video was goofed and I had to take it down. Ignore this.

Last edited:

pnoid

Smash Cadet
Looking for more advice again, this time from a real tournament match! woo!!

If you only got time for one battle, I prefer a critique on the second match (at least i put up a fight):
https://youtu.be/Jo9FI9wmEHE?t=194
otherwise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9FI9wmEHE

Disclaimer:
I swear i've been using uptilt more in general (a critique i had last time was i needed to use it more)... but obviously was underutilized in the match :( I swear i'm taking your advice(even if not apparent in video)!

Top Bottom