• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Down Throw

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
Edit:
After more testing, I've found a bunch of additional data regarding how what percent your opponent is at affects the frame window to jump out. This can be viewed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MWWi3ncYgwJf4q0OfqHj1wG3E/edit#gid=1997227629

Currently working on testing frame advantage and possible followups on characters who have the option to jump out.

~~~~~

So for those of you who don't know, it is possible to jump out of Kirby's down throw before hitting the ground. Even those who do know that will probably be surprised by just how many characters can do this. The best way to do this is to DI up and in towards Kirby as he throws you (for some characters this isn't necessary, for some it is). I've done some testing for each character to determine the number of frames they have to jump out. All throws were tested at 0% with unstaled down throw. I'm not perfect so if you see any incorrect information please let me know and I'll fix it.

1 Frame
  • Dedede
  • Donkey Kong
  • Diddy
  • Link
  • Sheik
  • Ice Climbers
  • Pikachu
  • Roy
  • Snake
  • Sonic

2 Frames
  • Mario
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • R.O.B.

3 Frames
  • Mewtwo*
  • Pit
  • Ness**
  • Ike

4 Frames
  • Ivysaur
  • Marth
  • Olimar

5 Frames
  • Peach*

6 Frames
  • Luigi

7 Frames
  • Zelda**
  • Jigglypuff

8 Frames
  • Samus
Can't Jump Out
  • Wario
  • Bowser
  • Falcon
  • Ganondorf
  • Toon Link
  • Falco
  • Fox
  • Wolf
  • Lucario
  • Squirtle
  • Charizard
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Lucas
  • Game & Watch
  • Metaknight
Notes:

* Mewtwo and Peach can simply hold jump to automatically float/hover out
** If Ness and Zelda jump on the last possible frame before landing, they will instantly land. I think it's a no impact landing because they can instantly act but I'm not sure, someone please correct me on this

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
What %s are these at? What sort of frame advantage does kirby have, can you tilt/jab them or are you still in the animation?

I'll do some labbing for it too late tonight, getting shined out of your throws is the worst

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
What %s are these at? What sort of frame advantage does kirby have, can you tilt/jab them or are you still in the animation?

I'll do some labbing for it too late tonight, getting shined out of your throws is the worst
These were tested at 0% with fresh down throw, I'll edit that in. It also appears that at some point some characters stop being able to jump out (Dedede stops being able to at 96%). When I have time tomorrow I'll do a lot more testing.

I did some quick testing and it looks like Kirby has enough frame advantage to hit the opponent if they choose to jump out (I only tested on Dedede due to lack of time but I could get up tilt, f tilt, or nair before he could nair out).

Last edited:

OstrichGlue

Smash Rookie
Pretty useful list, I'll have to study up on this. I learned pretty quickly about the ridiculous amount of time Samus has to jump out when I played against one, but I discovered dthrow -> ftilt seems to be guaranteed. I might go and test to see if Samus can beat it or escape before the ftilt.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
After more testing, I've found a bunch of additional data regarding how what percent your opponent is at affects the frame window to jump out. This can be viewed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MWWi3ncYgwJf4q0OfqHj1wG3E/edit#gid=1997227629

Currently working on testing frame advantage and possible followups on characters who have the option to jump out. Will probably have that done sometime next week (engineering classes have a lot of homework).

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've been super lazy and only unpacked my setup once this week to practice/lab out samus footstool tech for a friend, this completely slipped my mind lol. As long as jab can still connect at higher %s, then I dont think its a big deal because you can just jab anyway, and be able to cover almost all options on reaction afterwards (jab>grab if they miss the tech or jump, delayed grab on tech in place, chase after tech in, dash attack/cutter some character's tech away, depending) pretty sure new cutter can't actually reach a lot of tech rolls, but I'm pretty sure dash attack can cover all that aren't like, shiek's tech away

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
I've been super lazy and only unpacked my setup once this week to practice/lab out samus footstool tech for a friend, this completely slipped my mind lol. As long as jab can still connect at higher %s, then I dont think its a big deal because you can just jab anyway, and be able to cover almost all options on reaction afterwards (jab>grab if they miss the tech or jump, delayed grab on tech in place, chase after tech in, dash attack/cutter some character's tech away, depending) pretty sure new cutter can't actually reach a lot of tech rolls, but I'm pretty sure dash attack can cover all that aren't like, shiek's tech away
Jab is good at lower percents, but sometimes at higher percents it won't connect. Forward tilt will always hit though, and sets up into an edgeguard at the percents where jab won't connect. Also I'm finding that on the floatier characters if they DI to jump out at medium to higher percents you can just chain grab them to death percent. I'll have a list of characters / percents / DI for that in a couple of days.

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Pretty useful list, I'll have to study up on this. I learned pretty quickly about the ridiculous amount of time Samus has to jump out when I played against one, but I discovered dthrow -> ftilt seems to be guaranteed. I might go and test to see if Samus can beat it or escape before the ftilt.
Samus can also UpB straight out of DThrow. You can do what you want to her if you read it and shield it (unless she can catch a high platform like in BF). At the very least it beats out jab. Not sure about other tilts.

Top Bottom