• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby VS Luigi Matchup?

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
Hello Fellow Smashers! I would love to hear your opnions about this matchup, it would help me as a new Kirby main.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Nair has screwed up so many combo opportunities it makes me want to cry. So, take what you can get.
He can be killed by Dthrow Upsmash if you read their DI.
Luigi is pretty easy to edgeguard. His options for recovery: 1 jump, infinite forwardB (rockets himself), 1 downB (tornado), and 1 UpB. Bair will be you greatest tool to stop his recover because it has superior range to Luigi's forward B and DownB. As long and you keep luigi from being close to directly under the edge he will probably die.

Right now this is all i can think of from my experience playing luigi friend.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Watchout for his kill moves, try not to get grabbed. Get him offstage with like b-throw cuz they'll almost always side-b onto the stage which can be daired. Grab him and cg him with dthrow. Inhale will stop down-b if they're dumb enough to approach with it. Fireball will help stop a lot of his wavedash movement, thats a reason i think it can be really good if you use it right but its up to you. Utilt and Ftilt also messes with his wavedash movement, and when they wavedash toward you they'll probably throw out a move or grab, bait it out and punish. Luigi is so jank, I believe hes one of the best hes just underrated, i hope my limited knowledge on this matchup helps lol.

Last edited:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Been struggling with this match-up lately. With 3.5, D-throw to any Smash attack is gone (Kirby MAY still have a d-throw cg on him though). Luigi seems to juggle Kirby really easily while Kirby can barely get anything started on him without eating a N-air. A patient Luigi is nightmarish to play against if you don't get the fireball.

Is there anything else Kirby can do? Like what way should you DI against juggles?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I am not a familiar with the 3.5 match up, but I can tell you that combos are hard to come by on Luigi because he is a very slow faller and his Nair stops/trades with a lot of kirbys attacks. You are going to have to win neutral game big time and know to reset neutral before taking a Nair to the face and take advantage of edgeguarding. I believe the fireballs can be jabbed. Look for jab after dthrow to either reset him from ground or before he touch's ground for regrab. If you do happen to jab reset (forcing them to stand up from ground) him follow up with hammer or smash.

Any typos due to typing this on auto correcting phone.

Last edited:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yeah. Pretty much any move except dash attack will eat the fireballs. They aren't really a problem (though when you have them, they help out massively in neutral by limiting his wavedash movement).

Also when edgeguarding Luigi, does misfire have more priority than regular green missile? The Luigi I go against is really good at stocking them up and I'm afraid attempting to edgeguard him will lead to a trade that will cost me a stock while Luigi gets to Down-B back to stage afterwards.

Neecko Senpai

Smash Rookie
Don't be afraid to edge guard Luigi. The chances of a misfire are more likely in PM, but even if you get hit with a weak one it'll stop his momentum back on stage. The recover time after Luigi after he hits his Side-B takes awhile. So even if you get hit it'll be harder for him to come back on stage with his (Up-B) upward cyclone. The worst case scenario would be getting hit by a misfire; if that happens TECH/DI or have a good reaction time, so you don't lose a stock. And that's just worst case scenario, Kirby has a lot of options for edge guarding Luigi due to horizontal and sometimes low recovery.

All of Kirby's aerials excepting Up-air are great for edge guarding Luigi.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I wish there was some way to easily get late U-airs.

Also, what should be done at neutral with Luigi when you don't have fireballs. He's annoying slippery with those wavedashes

B00nes

Smash Rookie
Luigi is a difficult match up, his nair and bair beating almost all of kirby's attacks. You have to do a lot of baiting out nairs and punishing when he's open. Kirby can also duck under his grab, so use that to your advantage when he wave dash dances. If he likes to down smash after wave dash dancing, shorthop>dair to behind him can mix things up. Don't try to crouch cancel battle him, you will lose every time with his cc down smash. Dair his recovery hard, unless he sweet spots the ledge he'll get spiked of you sh>dair on the edge.

Neecko Senpai

Smash Rookie
Kirby's d-tilts stop any of his approaching options when he wavedashes or a well placed f-tilt in neutral, since luigi has low airspeed when he jumps just be prepared to shield his aerials

Top Bottom