• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby vs Bowser Matchup?

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
I know this is probably a highly unlikely matchup to be played, but I was wondering what you guys think of this matchup? Bowser's slow movement and big size comparative to Kirby could perhaps offer some interesting ways to play.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've played this match before, it's not spectacularly difficult.
  • You can basically toss out dtilts all day and he can't do anything about it.
  • His recovery is so bad that dair will actually kill him.
  • Bowser has a very small range of viable sweetspotting angles, so you can basically just dsmash his recovery half the time.
  • Bowser is so big and his techroll is so bad that you can techchase off of dthrow on reaction pretty easily.
  • Bowser's jumps are bad and his recovery range is very limited, he can't chase you off the stage or punish a high recovery easily.
  • Up-B out of shield is the only real problem you will have most of the time, and that's pretty easy to deal with (bait with an empty jump then utilt > punish).
  • If Bowser is at less than 100%, stay away from him on the ledge.
  • Bowser's main antics all require yoshi's story. Avoid it if you can.
  • Surviving swallow kirbicide is SUPER easy because bowser is so big (hold up and mash x/y while you're falling).

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
If you manage to find a Bowser player that is impressive already, but that isn't a MU many people know about. Pretty much everything Massive said is right, Bowser can be shut down pretty easily if you just space out moves like dtilt. Bowser can kill Kirby pretty early though, so I would watch out for that. If they can make a hard read with fsmash you might be dead, especially on smaller stages.
I see that you main G&W. From my experience, that MU is actually pretty good for G&W so it might be best to just use him.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Kirby ' s suck is really good and You can flame cancel unlike post 1.0 bowser

Bowser's throws are pretty good both b throw and f t brow kind of set up for a fair but it isn't a Combo so he can jump react and then decide to land or fair if You attacked or jumped away. But those extra kirby jumps are a pain

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
@ Karmatrix Karmatrix

Watch out for Bowser's big hitboxes (Fair and such) and don't fall for the easy stuff like hard reads. Space him out (isn't difficult) and make him invest on his approaches. Bowser's terrible DD and high jumping/landing lag means that if he wants to put out his big aerial hitboxes he really has to invest a lot on them. Simple math below:

Bowser's jump lag is 9 frames + Fair hitbox starts on frame 8 (meaty section is 9-10) = 17 frames for the move to even start! That's extremely slow when you realize most character's nair out of shields start on frame 7. Plus its a super obscure MU. I honestly wouldn't worry about this at all.

If you don't mind could I know your impetus for this thread?

Last edited:
Top Bottom