• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby & The Amazing Guide

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

----------------------------------------
Introduction

Welcome to Version 2.0 of Kirby & The Amazing Guide. The bold new change comes from over half a year of in-depth analysis of Super Smash Bros Brawl, focused specifically around our stout-hearted, happy hero: Kirby.
The changes in this version include updated information and new data, but also feature a new format of interlinked sections dedicated to the most popular topics. You'll be able to quickly find the information you're looking for by jumping to the related section. To get started, simply check out the Table of Contents and click on whatever topic interests you.

Table of Contents

I. Character Analysis - Kirby
1. Overview
2. Pros & Cons
3. Colors & Taunts

II. Moveset Data - attacks analyzed
1. Understanding the Data
2. Normal Attacks
3. Special Attacks
4. Hats, Stars & More
5. Copy Abilities!

III. Fighting Theory - Strats, Combos & Techniques
1. Fighting Fundamentals
2. Approaches, Leads & Follow-ups
3. Advanced Techniques

IV. Character Match-ups
(work in progress)

------------------------------------------------
About the Author
------------------------------------------------

Hi.

Most of you recognize me by my various handles: 't!mmy' or 't1mmy'. The exclamation point (also known as "Bang!") simply came from flipping the 'i' upside down. I use a '1' instead of a '!' to compliment the '0' in my twin brother's handle: "t0mmy". The '1' and '0' in our names playfully reference the Binary Language.

As much as I love the classic video games (Mario, Zelda, et al), something about Kirby won me over. I've been playing his games since the original Kirby's Dreamland on the old Game Boy, followed him into his NES adventures, and became a dedicated fan the moment I played Kirby Super Star on the SNES. Once Super Smash Bros. came out for the N64, I picked Kirby up as a main and followed him through the subsequent versions in Melee and again in Brawl.

Being a Kirby main in Melee was a daunting task, especially when I finally got caught up in competitive play. Other players who noticed my smart gameplay would advise me to pick up a Top Tier. As much as I enjoyed playing a variety of characters like everyone else, I mainly stuck with Kirby and accepted the drawbacks of my character. Although winning a tournament was rare for me and Kirby, I came to enjoy the challenge of each game I played - I especially enjoyed being able to go toe-to-toe with people using Top Tiers.

After plunging into the competitive world of Smash Brothers, I started analyzing the game on an advanced level as many players do on the road to improvement. For me, however, it was a bit different since Kirby was a much neglected character - the resources were slim at best. In light of this, I took it upon myself to find out everything I could about Kirby and ended up with enough information to publish The Competitive Kirby.

Years of attending tournaments - big and small, great and disappointing - allowed me to tweak and adjust the information in my guide. Along the way I created a series of fun videos known as Warpstar Warrior. There were three made in all, with a fourth one planned to debut in the final weeks before Brawl's release. Tragically my hard drive died just days before its completion and all the work was lost.

The grief lasted only a short time as I soon got an imported copy of Brawl and was soon immersed in a new style of Kirby fighting. Keeping other Kirby enthusiasts in mind, I made sure to put aside simple fun to do some serious research and get the information out to everyone who was unable to get an imported copy of Brawl. With the game still weeks away from the American launch, the first version of Kirby & The Amazing Guide was released. And there was much rejoicing.

Although Smash Bros. Brawl is still relatively new, plenty of new information is being discovered. This new version is both the next step in information and the next step in improving the standards for guides for everyone.

Happy Smashing,
t1mmy

1. Overview

It is important for you to recognize the advantages and limitations that Kirby has as a character. By working with Kirby's advantages and mitigating his limitations you'll develop your playstyle to its fullest.

The largest hurdle that Kirby players must overcome is the lack of priority Kirby has in his attacks. By this I mean that when you launch an attack at the same time the opponent attacks it is Kirby who will take the hit most of the time. This is because a lot of his attacks are somewhat slow to come out and almost all of them are short ranged. This drastically affects Kirby's offensive options and make approaching with Kirby difficult. There are also a couple other qualities that add to the problem of Kirby's lack of offensive pressure: the lack of a decent projectile and Kirby's slow mobility both on the ground and in the air.

While Kirby technically has three projectiles, not counting Copied Hats, they're hardly safe, spammable, or easy to use. The first, and most commonly seen, is the Final Cutter. While it can be used as a projectile in some instances the initial start-up gives the opponent plenty of time to react and the laggy downtime gives them a large opportunity to retaliate. Kirby's lesser-seen projectiles include the horizontal Star Shot and the vertical Star Shot.

The horizontal Star Shot is the star Kirby spits out after Inhaling someone and it is a fairly decent projectile except that it requires you Inhale someone. This is difficult enough to land on someone, but when there's only one opponent in the game the projectile is moot. The vertical Star Shot is also used after Inhaling someone, but produced when you Copy the opponent and they get launched into the air as a star. It has the same problems as the normal horizontal Star Shot, but you're even less likely to hit someone with it.

Adding to the weakness of projectile abilities is the fact that Kirby's speed and mobility are sub-par, both in the air and on the ground. This severely hampers his ability to feint offense, move in to punish missed attacks, and to follow up, combo or keep pressure on the opponent. When a character has no reliable projectiles it is important to be able to move in to close quarters quickly and fluidly, especially when the character's priority is lacking. Since Kirby falls short in all three of these categories players soon realize that his approaches are lacking and keeping pressure on the opponent is very difficult.

Additionally, Kirby is one of the lightest characters in the game making it difficult to survive even moderately strong attacks. When hit with strong attacks, Kirby can be KO'd at depressingly low percents. Kirby is especially susceptible to Meteor Smashes due to his light weight which will usually KO him off the bottom of the screen before he ever has a chance to Meteor Cancel, and if he Meteor Cancels with his Final Cutter he will usually fall short of the ledge. Since Kirby is floaty, he is also easy to get KO'd by vertical attacks.

While these limitations make a difference in various match-ups, Kirby has some positive qualities to help compensate and to utilize in a fight. The fist is that Kirby is an excellent close-quarters fighter. He also has some powerful KO moves, good off-stage recovery options, and some excellent combo abilities.

Kirby is at his prime when up close with his opponents. His Tilts come out very quickly and often lead into easy follow-up attacks. His Up Tilt launches opponents into juggles or aerial combos, his Down Tilt has a high probability of tripping the opponent, and his F-tilt has excellent reach and speed to knock opponents off the stage. On top of that, Kirby's grab is unexpectantly large and he can combo out of his Forward Throw at low percentages, rack up damage with his Down Throw, or can go for a KO with his Up Throw at higher percents.

When it comes to KO moves, Kirby has some powerful choices. Of these his best choice is usually the Forward Smash; it's powerful and has excellent reach and decent priority. Kirby's other Smash Attacks shouldn't be overlooked either because the Up Smash can be a powerful vertical hit, and the Down Smash can be used for both horizontal and vertical knockback. Kirby's Down Special, while difficult to land, is excellent to take offensive players by surprise and packs a strong vertical KO. Kirby's strongest attack is his Forward Special - on the ground it deals as much damage as a full-charged Forward Smash. When used in the air the Hammer becomes the Giant Swing - Kirby's most powerful aerial attack, capable of killing an opponent who is off-stage at ridiculously low percents.

Kirby's aerial game is difficult to rate because of the variety of attacks and their various abilities and drawbacks. Of all his Aerial Attacks, Kirby's Back Air is easily his most versatile, it is quick and has good priority so it can be used for spacing, punishing, approaching, off-stage combat, etc. All of Kirby's other Aerial Attacks are noticeably slower and/or have less priority making them much less safe to use in general. Kirby's Up Air is perhaps the next most-used Aerial due to it's good reach, moderate damage, and it's ability to juggle or set up combos. It also finishes quickly allowing Kirby to get back to the ground safely or to prepare for the next strike.

The Forward Air, Down Air, and Neutral Air are all much less reliable since they have obvious drawbacks. The Forward Air starts up slower than the B-air, has poor priority and its landing lag is easily punished. It's best used either off-stage or auto-canceled and pulling away from the opponent (especially against a shield). The Down Air's main drawback is it's incredibly long start-up time which gives the opponent plenty of time to land a hit on Kirby or to put up a Shield and punish. Again, this attack is much stronger off-stage especially due to its Meteor Smash properties. The Neutral Air has very little reach and knockback and is impractical to use off-stage due to its long duration. The best use of the Neutral Air is on-stage and to land quickly to take advantage of its short lag.

As I mentioned earlier, Kirby has some good recovery options. The obvious advantage is that Kirby has multiple mid-air jumps. While these jumps are small and might not add up to much more than some other character's distance, they allow him to change directions, stall, and perform multiple Aerial Attacks. This allows you to confuse edge guarders and more easily avoid being gimped. The Forward Special can also be used in conjunction with jumps since the Giant Swing has a horizontal pull with it allowing Kirby to extend the distance of his recover or to quickly change directions, and having a strong aerial hitbox out while doing this is always helpful. To top everything off, Kirby also has the Final Cutter which provides vertical recovery distance along with a disjointed hitbox. The Final Cutter can land Kirby safely on the ledge and its downward arc can Meteor Smash anyone foolish enough to get caught by it.

Kirby also has some good combo abilities to take advantage of. This is seen especially on 'heavies' or 'fast fallers' that get caught up easily in juggles and strings of attacks. Kirby's combos work best on characters with very little damage allowing Kirby to get multiple hits in and rack up damage quickly early. From there Kirby has to rely on getting the opponent off-stage where he can build up additional damage or intercept his recovery.

The final, and most unique aspect of Kirby's fighting technique is that at any given time your opponent could set himself up for a sudden "Kirbycide" - that is, an attack that results in both Kirby and his opponent Self-Destructing. The most famous of these is the "Swallowcide". Kirby can pull opponents into his mouth and fall off the screen with his foe trapped inside. A lesser used Kirbycide is plunging off the stage with a Final Cutter to spike the opponent at the cost of Kirby's stock.

2. Pros & Cons
+ Excellent close-quarters fighter
+ Strong KO attacks
+ Good recovery options
+ Damage-building combos
+ Kirbycide!

- Poor priority
- Lack of decent projectile
- Poor ground speed
- Poor air speed
- Laggy KO attacks
- Light Weight

2. Colors & Taunts

See the Video:
Kirby's Colors & Taunts

Colors:

Natural (Pink)
Gameboy (Grayscale)
Emerald (Green with Ocher shoes)
Cherry (Bright Red)
Aqua (Light Blue with Dark Blue shoes)
Citrus (Yellow with Orange shoes)

Taunts:

Up Taunt - "Victory Dance"
Kirby spins around once, shuffles forward, spins around the other direction once, and then raises a hand in victory launching a star overhead.

Side Taunt - "Happy Spin"
Kirby pirouettes on both toes while raising his hands over his head, then leans forward on the toes of one foot with the other behind him striking a pose and makes a happy sound. Notice the similarity between this Taunt and the animation Kirby does in the original Super Smash Bros. during character select.

Down Taunt - "Hiiiii"
Kirby faces the players, stands on both toes and says "Hi!" while waving his hands. The duration of the "Hi" is much less than in Melee where it was more like "Hiiii-aiiiii-aiii!" and less high-pitched. It's more like "Hai' ii" now. You can still hear the original version when selecting Kirby as a character using the Wii Remote's speaker.

1. Understanding the Data

Name
This is the common name for the attack, such as F-tilt. The name in parentheses is a flavorful name that isn't used as often.

Pictures / Hitboxes
Each attack has one or more pictures. The first line of pictures show the attack in an example position. The second line of pictures show where the boundaries of the attack reach, called "HitBoxes". Click on the Hitbox Picture for a larger view.

Arrows shown in the picture show the trajectory of the attack's knockback. In pictures where the HitBox makes it difficult to determine the direction Kirby is facing, Thicker arrows show Kirby's initial position along with a "Kirby Face" icon for clarity.

Damage
* If an attack hits multiple times, each additional hitbox is represented by a "+". Thus: 3% +3% +5% means the attack hits three times for a total of 12%.
* If the attack hits repeatedly and continuously, the repeated hitbox are represented with an eclipse (...). Thus '1%...' is a hitbox that repeatedly deals 1% damage.
* Damage in parentheses are notes on the Sweetspot (stronger or weaker damage). Thus '6% toes (5% close)' means the attack is stronger from far away.

Frame Data
This is the frame-by-frame analysis of the move's animation. There are 60 frames per second.

Start-up: The amount of time it takes to prepare the attack.
Hits: The frames in which there is a hitbox.
Cool-down: The frames of animation after the final hitbox in which you cannot do anything.
IASA: "Interruptable As Soon As" the frame you can interrupt the attack before it ends, if possible.
HitLag: the number of extra frames added to the attack when it hits.
Aerial Lag: The number of frames after landing from an Aerial Attack in which you cannot do anything.
Auto-Cancel: The frames in which you can cancel an attack by touching the ground and receive normal, non-attack landing lag.

Hitboxes are written in brackets to show on which frames they are in effect. If a hitbox has different properties throughout its duration, those properties will be separated within the brackets by parentheses. The "sweetspot" of an attack will be in bold where applicable.

Example:

Start-up: 1-9
Hits: [(10-11)(12-14)(15-19)(20-33)]
IASA: 73
Hitlag: +7
Aerial Lag: 9
Auto Cancels on [1-8], [56...]

The attack in the example (N-air) takes 9 frames to start up, hits on frames 10-33 (with the strongest hit on frames 10-11), can be interrupted as early as frame 73, has 9 frames of lag when landing, and can cancel when landing on frame 56 onward.

Description
A quick overview of the attack's properties with important notes.

2. Normal Attacks

--------------------------------------
Basic Attacks
--------------------------------------

Standard Attack (Jab)

2%
Start-up: 1-2
Hits on: 3
IASA: 15
Duration: 17
HitLag: 5
Description:
Hold down the Attack Button to automatically move into a 'Jab Combo' as early as frame 6.
Release the Attack Button after the 2nd hit (frame 12-16) to cancel the Jab Combo.

Standard Attack #2 (Straight)

2%
Start-up: 1-2
Hits on: 3
IASA: 15
Duration: 21
HitLag: 5
Description:
This is the second hit of the Standard Combo. It hits a little harder than the Jab.

Standard Attack #3 (Vulcan Jab)

1%
Start-up:
Hits on: 5, 9, 13, 17...
Description:
This is a rapid flurry of Jabs, the opponent cannot SDI upward to get out of the hits, only left/right.

Dash Attack (Break Spin)

2% +2% +2% +2% +2% +4% (up to 14%)
Start-up: 1-11
Hits: [12], [15], [19], [24], [30], [35-37]
IASA: 48
Duration: 55
Hitlag: +3, +3, +3, +3, +3, +3
Description:
This attack moves forward a short distance and hits multiple times with weak hits knocking the opponent back. The final hitbox is strong enough to knock the opponent away a safe distance and is larger than the previous hitboxes. Opponents can DI out of the weak hits to avoid the final hitbox. The final HitBox is much larger than the others and slightly stronger.

---------------------------------
Tilt Attacks
---------------------------------

F-tilt (Spin kick)

8% close (7% at toes)
Start-up: 1-4
Hits: 5-8
IASA: 28
Duration: 33
Description:
The Spin Kick comes out quickly and has decent distance, which makes it useful to knock opponents away. This attack can be angled.

U-Tilt (Scoop Kick)

7% close (5% overhead at toes)
Start-up: 1-3
Hits: [(4-5)(4-9)]
Duration: 24
IASA: 21
Hitlag: +6
Description:
A quick scooping kick from behind that reaches all the way in front of Kirby. It will launch an opponent overhead which is great for setting up combos!

D-Tilt (Sweep Kick)

6% at toes (5% close)
Start-up: 1-3
Hits: 4-6
IASA: 21
Duration: 30
Hitlag: +5
Description:
From a crouch you can sweep out your foot and catch your opponent from a far distance. Good as a "defensive" offense since Kirby remains relatively flat and can knock an opponent away to give you some breathing room.

Check out Krii's "Crouch Avoid List" for information on which attacks Kirby can avoid by crouching.

-----------------------------------------
Smash Attacks
-----------------------------------------

F-Smash (Jump Kick)

15% soon (13% later)
Start-up: 1-11*
Hits: [(12-15)(16-20)]
Duration: 50
Hitlag: +9

* 7 frame release out of a charged F-smash

Description:
Kirby leaps forward with a mighty kick! This is a great move when looking to finish off a damaged opponent. The power is good, the range is good, the speed is good. You'll still be fairly vulnerable after using this attack if you miss, but it's moderately safe as far as Smash attacks go.

U-Smash (Flip Kick)

15% (body), 12% (toes), 11% (ending)
Start-up: 1-13*
Hits on: [(14)(15-16)(17-25)]
IASA: --
Hitlag: +10

* 5 frame release from a charged U-smash

Description:
An overhead kick with a good vertical reach. Even if this move doesn't sweetspot it can still catch the opponent from a safe distance and knock him away. When you sweetspot with this, it's a viable KOing attack.

D-Smash (Propeller Kick)

14% at body (10% toes)
Hits: [10-21]
Duration: 56
Hitlag: +10

* 5 frame release from a charged D-smash

Description:
A low-spinning that sends opponents at either a vertical (sweetspot) or horizontal (toes) angle.

---------------------------------------
Aerial Attacks
---------------------------------------

N-air (Twinkle Star)

12% soon (6% later)
Hits: [(10-11)(12-14)(15-19)(20-33)]
Duration: 80
IASA: 73
Auto Cancels on [1-8], [56...]
Description:
Imitating a star of the twinkling variety, Kirby spins around hitting with both fists and feet. The hitbox is slightly greater than his body during the start-up sweetspot, and then becomes significantly smaller.

F-air (Triple Kick)

4% +3% +5%
Hits: [10-11], [17-18], [27-28]
IASA: 44
Hitlag: +5, +5, +5
Aerial Lag: 15
Auto-cancels on frame 1-9, 40...
Description:
Kirby kicks in front of him three times. The first two hits are weak and combo into the third hit which is the strongest of the three hits. This attack is useful to move opponents away and off the stage as an approach and has some minor combo potential.

B-air (Drop Kick)

12% soon (9% later)
Start-up: 1-5
Hits: [(6-8)(9-13)]
Duration: 44
IASA: 41
Hitlag: +8
Auto-Cancels on 1-4, 28...
Description:
With quick speed, Kirby kicks out with both feet behind him. This attack has some great range, decent power, and little lag. Because of these qualities it's one of Kirby's most useful moves. It can be used to knock away an opponent from a safe distance without leaving yourself too vulnerable.

U-air (Sommersault Kick)

10%
Hits: [10-15]
IASA: 40
Duration: 48
Hitlag: +9
Auto-Cancel: 1-8, 22...
Description:
Flipping in a circle, Kirby kicks one foot upward in an arc. The reach above Kirby is exceptionally good and its range is deceptively long. If you have good accuracy you can catch an opponent with this attack before they can strike due to its reach and speed. The knockback is a weak, vertical hit with very little Aerial Lag making it great for starting a combo or for juggling.

D-air (Screw Driver Kick)

Up to 10% (2% +2% +2% +2% +2% +2%)
Start-up: 1-17
Hits: [18-19], [21-22], [24-25], [27-28], [30-31], [32-33]
Duration: 60
IASA: 55
HitLag: +3 per hit
Aerial Lag: 16
Auto cancel: 1-17, 48...
Description:
Kirby spins around in the air, drilling foes downward. This is a multiple-hit Meteor Smash.

D-air, Ground (Screw Driver Kick, Landing)

2%
Start-up: 0
Hits: [1-3]
Duration: 31
HitLag: +3
Description:
If Kirby lands on the ground during the attack, there is a secondary "ground" attack that sends an opponent to the side.

3. Special Attacks

N-Special (Inhale)

0%
Start-up: 1-16
Hits: 17~
IASA: 78
HitLag: +0
Description:
Kirby vacuums up nearby characters or items. This is treated as a "Grab" HitBox and thus cannot be Shielded.

F-Special, Ground (Hammer)

23%
Start-up: 1-23
Hits: 24-25
Duration: 60
HitLag: +11
Description:
A powerful, close-ranged, hammer swing with notable start-up. Carries "Phantom Lag".

F-Special, Air (Giant Swing)

17%, 15%
Start-up: 1-16
Hits: [17-18], [34-35]
HitLag: +10, +8
Aerial Lag: 27
Description:
When Kirby uses his Hammer in the air, he performs the mighty Giant Swing attack. The Giant Swing hits twice unless you touch the ground between the two hits to cancel. Carries "Phantom Lag".

U-Special (Final Cutter)

8%, 2%, 5%
Start-up: 1-22
Hit #1: [23-25], [41...], [48*]
Duration: 87
HitLag: +7, +3, +0*
Description:
A vertical-moving attack that can be used during recovery to get back onto the stage. Can be ledge-canceled (catch onto a ledge on descent). Unlike most U-special recoveries, this cannot grab ledges backward. The second hitbox (downward arc) is a Meteor Smash and continues indefinitely while Kirby is in the air.

* The third hitbox comes out only after Kirby lands on the ground and is a projectile attack.

D-Special (Stone)

There are two ways to use this attack. One is while in the air, and the other is while standing on the ground.

Aerial Stone

18%
Start-up: 1-29
Hits: [30...]
Cancels as early as frame 58
Max Stone Time: 162
IASA: 190
HitLag: +7
Description:
Kirby's Stone attack, when used in the air, plummets to the ground with tremendous force. Can be canceled as early as Frame 49 (input "Special" button to cancel).
Carries "Phantom Lag".

D-Special, Ground (Stone)

14%
Start-up: 1-13
Hits: 14-15
Cancels as early as frame 54
Description:
When the Stone hits the ground, it creates a tremor effect that knocks surrounding players away at a sharp horizontal angle. This takes affect when the Stone drops from the air and hits the ground, or when Kirby uses the Stone attack while standing on the ground. Carries "Phantom Lag".

4. Miscellaneous
-----------------
Jumps
-----------------
Short Hop (Fast Fall)
1-4: Start up
5: Airborne
(26: Apex)
27-32: Fast Fall
33-36: Landin(g Lag
37: IASA

Short Hop (Slow Fall)
5-45: Airborne
46-47: Landing Lag
48 IASA

Full Jump (Slow Fall)
5-64: Airborne
65-68: Landing Lag
69: IASA

Full Jump (Fast Fall)
5: Airborne
35: Apex
36-48: Fast-Fall
49-52: Landing Lag
53: IASA

-----------------------------------------------------
Get-up (from lying down)

Getup, in-place (Supine)
Intangible on: 1-21

Getup Attack (Supine)
Startup: 18
Hits on: [19-20], [24-25]
Intangible on: 1-25

Getup Roll, Forward (Supine)
Intangible on: 1-17

Getup Roll, Back (Supine)
Intangible on: 1-19

Getup, in place (Prone)
Intangible on: 1-21

Getup Attack (Prone)
Startup: 19
Hits on: 20-21, 25-26
Intangible on: 1-27

Getup Roll, Forward (Prone)
Intangible on: 1-22

Getup Roll, Back (Prone)
Intangible on: 1-27

Tech, in place

Tech Roll, Forward

Tech Roll, Back

Tech, Wall

Tech, Ceiling

---------------
Ledge
----------------
Ledge Attack, healthy (<100%)
Startup: 19
Hits on: 20-23
Damage: 6%
Intangible on: 1-17

Ledge Stand, healthy (<100%)
Intangbile on: 1-30

Ledge Roll, healthy (<100%)
Intangible on: 1-31

Ledge Attack, injured (>99%)
Startup: 42
Hits on: [43-51]
Intangible on: 1-48

Ledge Stand, injured (>99%)
Intangible on: 1-55

Ledge Roll, injured (>99%)
Intangible on: 1-49

-------------------
Trips
-------------------
Trip (Down)
Intangible on: 1-5

Trip
Intangible on: 1-5

Trip (Turning)
Intangible on: 1-6

Trip (Dashing)
Intangible on: 1-7

Trip (Standing)
Intangible on: 1-16

Trip Attack
Startup: 18
Hits on: [19-20], [27, 28]
Damage: 5%
Intangible on: 1-7

Trip Roll, Forward
Intangible on: 1-9

Trip Roll, Backward
Intangible on: 1-9

----------------------
Taunts
----------------------

U-Taunt
IASA: 115

S-Taunt
IASA: 115

D-Taunt

5. Hats, Stars, & More!

Star Shot
Kirby's Standard Special (Star Shot) now works slightly differently than in Melee. It has lost its invincible priority and can now be affected by things such as Reflectors, Franklin Badges, etc. It is treated as a "solid" projectile and not an "energy" projectile, so PK Magnet cannot absorb it, etc. "Grab" type attacks cannot affect it, such as Inhale and Wario's Bite.

The damage done as a projectile is based on the weight of the character being Shot. Below is a list with each
character listed alphabetically and the damage done in parenthesis to the left.

(18%) Bowser (Koopa)
(17%) Charizard
(18%) Dedede, King
(14%) Diddy Kong
(18%) Donkey Kong
(12%) Falco
(16%) Falcon, Captain
(12%) Fox
(11%) Game & Watch, Mr.
(17%) Ganondorf
(16%) Ike
(14%) Ice Climber
(15%) Ivysaur
( 9% ) Jigglypuff (Purin)
(12%) Kirby
(16%) Link
(14%) Lucas
(15%) Lucario
(15%) Luigi
(15%) Mario
(13%) Marth
(12%) Meta Knight
(14%) Ness
(13%) Olimar, Captain
(12%) Pikachu
(14%) Peach
(14%) Pit
(16%) R.O.B.
(17%) Samus
(13%) Sheik
(17%) Snake, Solid
(12%) Squirtle
(15%) Sonic
(14%) Toon Link
(16%) Wario
(16%) Wolf
(16%) Yoshi
(13%) Zelda
(12%) Zero Suit Samus

Listed by Weight Classes are as follows:

Very Heavy (18%)
Bowser (Koopa)
Donkey Kong
Dedede

Heavy (17%)
Samus
Charizard
Ganondorf
Snake

Medium-Heavy (16%)
Yoshi
Wario
Ike
Link
R.O.B.
Captain Falcon
Wolf

Medium (15%)
Mario
Lucario
Luigi
Ivysaur
Sonic

Medium-Light (14%)
Ice Climber
Pit
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Peach
Toon Link
Ness

Light-Weight (13%)
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Marth

Very Light-Weight (12%)
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Squirtle

Feather-Weight (11% or less)
(11%) Mr. Game & Watch
( 9% ) Jigglypuff (Purin)

6. Copy Abilities!

This section briefly explains each Hat that Kirby can copy from his opponents.

Bowser
Ability: Fire Breath
Damage: 2% per hit.
Angle the fire up or down with the control stick!

- - - - - - - - - -

King Dedede
Ability: Inhale
Damage: 10% (9% to 18% as a projectile)

Very similar to Kirby's Inhale, but with slightly more reach.

- - - - - - - - - -

Diddy Kong
Ability: Peanut Popgun
Damage: 5% to 13%

Fires peanuts in a arc. Charge it by holding the Special Attack to increase the damage and make the peanut travel in a straighter line. Cancel the charge with the Shield Button while on the ground. If you charge this in the air and fire it before touching the ground, it will have a kick-back that pushes you in the opposite direction you fired the gun. This can be used as a form of recovery, and it can send you off the side of the boundaries if you're not careful!

- - - - - - - - - -

Donkey Kong
Ability: Giant Punch
Damage: 10% to 29%
This attack has less reach than Donkey Kong's real version, but Kirby has Heavy Frames the same way.

- - - - - - - - - -

Falco Lombardi
Ability: Laser
Damage: 3%
Kirby can pull all the same tricks as Falco can, shooting while jumping, reverse lasers, and land-canceled lasers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Captain Falcon
Ability: Falcon Punch
Damage: 28% (29% reversed)
Use the "Turn Around" Falcon Punch by pushing the control stick in the opposite direction right after starting the attack.

- - - - - - - - - -

Fox McCloud
Ability: Laser
Kirby can pull all the same tricks as Fox can, shooting while jumping, reverse lasers, and land-canceled lasers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ganondorf
Ability: Warlock Punch
Damage: 32% (35% reversed)
Use the "Turn Around" Warlock Punch by pushing the control stick in the opposite direction right after starting the attack.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ice Climber
Ability: Ice Shot
As the ice block melts, the damage decreases. At a distance it does only 2%, and from far away it will only do 1%.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ike
Ability: Eruption
Damage: 10% to 37%
Kirby gets Heavy Frames when slamming his sword into the ground just as Ike does.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jigglypuff
Ability: Rollout
Damage: 8% to 18%

When you don't charge the Rollout attack, it's difficult to use it as
an attack since it doesn't have a hitbox unless you turn around, spin
for a while, and then start to move the other direction (8%
damage). Lightly charged it does 13% damage, and it quickly
charges for the full amount doing 18%, which is useful for a KO move.

- - - - - - - - - -

Link
Ability: Hero's Bow
Damage: 4% to 12%
Hold the Special Attack to charge the arrows.

- - - - - - - - - -

Lucario
Ability: Aura Sphere
Damage: 7% to 18%
The sphere will do damage as it charges behind Kirby, about 1% per hit. Kirby does not get an 'Aura' bonus.

- - - - - - - - - -

Lucas
Ability: PK Freeze
Damage: 10% to 19%
This attack can freeze the victim in a block of ice. Characters trapped in the ice take half the normal damage from attacks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Luigi
Ability: Fireball, Green
These fireballs travel in a straight line and do 1% more damage than Mario's.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mario
Ability: Fireball, Red
Damage: 5%

Since Kirby is shorter than Mario, when he shoots his fireballs they hit the ground quickly and "roll", resulting in them extinguishing quickly. To get more duration and a farther reach with Kirby's fireballs, you'll have to use them in the air so that they'll bounce off the ground.

- - - - - - - - - -

Marth
Ability: Shield Breaker
Damage: 8% to 18% (8% to 24% tipped)
Kirby's sword is smaller and has less range than Marth's.

- - - - - - - - - -

Meta Knight
Ability: Mach Tornado
Damage: 1% x19, +3%

Kirby's Tornado ability is a bit smaller than Meta Knight's, but it does as much damage and has the same effects.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mr. Game & Watch
Ability: Frying Pan
Damage: 5% pan, 4% food
The pan sends the opponent in a downward angle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ness
Ability: PK Flash
Damage: 9% to 37%\

Hold the Special Button to charge the PK Flash. Use the control stick to guide it left/right. Release the Special Attack before the PK Flash lands on the ground to unleash your attack!

- - - - - - - - - -

Olimar
Ability: Pikmin Pull
Damage: 1% to 5%

Kirby automatically throws his Pikmin after pulling them out of the ground.
Red (1%)
Yellow (2%)
Blue (3%)
White (4%)
Purple (5%)

- - - - - - - - - -

Princess Peach
Ability: Toad
Damage: 3% x6

When Toad is hit, he releases spores in front of Kirby. Each spore hits for 3% damage, up to 6 times. Toad can also be used in to stall in the air while recovering.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pikachu
Ability: Thunder Jolt
Damage: 6% arc (9% spark)

The spark will travel in a downward angle away from Kirby and when it hits the ground it will follow that surface as it arcs forward.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pit
Ability: Palutena's Bow
Damage: 5% to 11%

Charge the arrows while holding the Special Attack. Use the control stick to turn left, right, or up while charging. The arrows can be controlled with the joystick after being shot. The arrows can be controlled with the joystick after being shot.

- - - - - - - - - -
Pokemon Trainer
Kirby can Copy each of the Trainer's pokemon as follows.

Squirtle
Ability: Water Gun
Damage: 2% x7
When uncharged, Watergun is a 2% attack with up to seven hitboxes.

Ivysaur
Ability: Bullet Seed
Damage: 4% launcher, 2% each bullet seed (x35)
At the start of this attack, there is a 4% hitbox that launches the opponent upward into bullet seed range. Each bullet seed that hits does 2%. There are six bullet seeds by default, but the button can be held down to do up to 35 bullets! That's 70% damage! Without any DI, the opponent usually gets knocked away around half that amount, and with DI it can be much less.

Charizard
Ability: Flamethrower
Damage: 2% per hit
Use the control stick to angle the flames up/down. The flame grows smaller as the attack is held.

- - - - - - - - - -

R.O.B.
Ability: Eye Laser
Damage: 5% to 9% (7% close up)

There's a hitbox right at the visor when this attack starts up that does 7% damage, plus any additional damage the beam itself does. The beam charges up over time and you can see it's power by reading the LED on Kirby's head. When it is off, there is no beam. When it is red (slight pulse), it is charging up. When it has a flash of white light with the red, the beam is fully charged.

- - - - - - - - - -

Samus Aran
Ability: Charge Beam
Damage: 3% to 25%

Hold the Special Attack to charge the Beam. Use the Shield Button to cancel the beam and hold the charge, or use the control stick left/right to hold the charge and make a dodging roll to the side.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sheik
Ability: Needle Storm
Damage: 3% each needle (x6)

The needles automatically start charging when you start this attack - store them with the Shield button or throw them immediately with the Special Attack. Kirby can throw up to six needles. The needles will travel in a diagonal direction downward when thrown in the air.

- - - - - - - - - -

Solid Snake
Ability: Grenade
Damage: 12%

The grenade itself does 1% to 4% depending on how fast it's traveling
when it hits. It explodes almost three seconds later for 12%.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ability: Spinning blue thing
Damage: 8%

Kirby rolls up into a blue ball, then launches himself at the opponent. It can be used as a form of recovery.

- - - - - - - - - -

Toon Link
Ability: Hero's Bow
Damage: 4% to 12%
Hold the Special Attack to charge the bow.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wario
Ability: Bite
Damage: 2% x7 bites, +5% spit

Each bite does 2% damage and you can increase the number by pushing the attack button. Your opponent can attempt to Break Free, the same as when escaping pummels during a Grab, which will decrease the number of bites you get. This move can gobble up items just like Kirby's inhale, but it eats them with less lag.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wolf O'Donnel
Ability: Blaster
Damage: 6% shot (4% gun)

The gun has a talon which does 4% as a melee attack. When close to your opponent, it can combo into a blaster blast for 9% total. If you can get both hits to land separately, it will do the full 10%.

- - - - - - - - - -

Yoshi
Ability: Egg Lay
Damage: 7%

Traps the opponent in an egg. You can hit the egg while they're trapped to deal more damage, but they can Break Free and you usually won't have time to do much to them.

- - - - - - - - - -

Zelda
Ability: Nayru's Love
Damage: about 1% per hit, up to 15%
This move can reflect projectiles back at the opponent.

- - - - - - - - - -

Zero Suit Samus
Ability: Stunner
Damage: 4% to 7%
The longer you hold the button the stronger the stunner will be.

1. Fighting Fundamentals

The following will briefly examine each of Kirby's attacks and some general usage for them. Details to combos and specific techniques will be outlined in upcoming additions.

Jab
This is a quick, short-ranged attack. It has very little HitStun so it's only safe to combo into a Straight. If you take your opponent by surprise you can attempt to follow-up with a Grab or a Tilt.

Straight
The 2nd hit in the Jab Combo has more HitStun making it easier to follow-up with another attack. To do this, crouch quickly to interrupt the Jab Combo and follow up with a Grab, F-tilt, D-tilt, or Reversed U-Tilt. You can also follow up a Jab-cancel into another Jab.

Vulcan Jab
Combo a Straight into a Vulcan Jab when you want to guarentee to hit your opponent. This is an excellent choice to counter players who Side Step or Shield a lot. The Vulcan Jab will push the opponent away, you can keep the Vulcan Jab going since a lot of people will run back into the attack in an attempt to punish you, but the priority on it is better than they expect. When you stop the Vulcan Jab, you can try to go for an F-smash to catch the opponent by surprise if they're coming back in for a hit, or you might want to go for a f-tilt, d-tilt or roll behind them.

Dash Attack
The start-up isn't quick, so utilize the Dash Attack's multi-hit and long duration to trump Side Steps. When you know the opponent is wary of Dash Grabs, mix it up with a Dash Attack instead. If the opponent rolls away, keep your Dash going to follow himn before launching a Dash Attack. Hitting a Shield isn't the best thing to do with this attack, but you might get lucky and hit the opponent if they drop it too soon (many people don't know the number of hits this attack has). Also, hitting a shielding opponenty while he is standing close to an edge can push him over and hit him as his shield drops.

F-tilt
This is your ground-based spacing move. It's a bit lacking in power but use its quick start-up to take advancing opponents by surprise. This attack might not be enough to outrange your foe, but it can be used defnsively to Clash with an attack, so make sure to launch a follow-up quickly. This move will even Clash with Marth's F-smash! Since the F-tilt can be angled, take advantage of it's reach by angling it up to catch an opponent that's about to jump in for an Aerial Attack. The f-tilt is an excellent move to fall back on to push the opponent away and over the side of the stage.

D-tilt
The reach on this is about as long as Kirby's F-tilt, but it comes out faster and has less cool-down! Not only that, but it has about a 50% cahnce of Tripping the opponent allowing you to combo into practically any attack. As an added bonus, Kirby squishes low to the ground... even smaller than his normal Crouch! This allows him to poke out and catch opponents with a sweeping kick making attacks go right over his head. Follow up the D-tilt with a variety of attacks. Grabs, F-tilt, and D-tilt are all good when the opponent doesn't Trip, and Grab, F-smash, reversed U-tilt and D-tilt are good for when they do Trip.

U-tilt
Another staple attack for Kirby's fighting. The U-tilt comes out quickly hitting first from behind and then overhead/slightly in front of Kirby. Utilize the speed of this attack to catch an opponent who has moved behind you, such as with a roll or an Air Dodge. You can also use this after rolling behind your opponent, deftly evading his attack and catching him with the U-tilt. If your timing is good, you can catch advancing opponents with this, even as they strike from the air.

This attack always launches the foe vertically allowing you to juggle or combo easily. Try: U-tilt into U-tilt/U-air/B-air/F-Air/N-air/U-smash. Or ignore the juggle and let them fall back to the ground as you Grab/Inhale/Smash them when they land. The U-tilt is so fast and combo friendly, you should use it at any given opportuunity.

N-air
Kirby's Neutral Air has a steeper learning curve than his other aerials. This is because the other aerials have obvious uses and effects, while the N-air seems shoddy. It doesn't have good knockback, it doesn't start up especially quickly, and it seems short ranged and easy to punish easpecailly after hitting a Shield.

You can, however take these disadvantages and use them to your advantage. For instance, use the weak knockback to set-up a quick follow up. Use it's short range to cover all of Kirby's body at once, hitting while up close or while advancing. Use its long duration to punish Side Steps or Aerial Dodges. Immediately Fast Fall and Land Cancel the N-air to catch your opponent with a Follow-Up: Jab for speed, F-tilt/D-tilt for range, or Grab if they Shield. Be wary of using this off-stage since the Duration cannot be Land Canceled - if you're giong to use it off stage, use it with a Jump.

F-air
There is some good and some bad to say about this attack. The good thing is that when used quickly after a Short Hop, this attack will end before you land preventing Aerial Lag. You can also press forward with your attack as you strike three times to advance, or you can pull away from your opponent if he gets his Shield up.

The bad part of this attack is the poor reach and priority; a lot of attacks can cut right through and hit Kirby's feet. It also has some noticeable Aerial Lag if you Land Cance. it. However it is possible to Fast Fall this attack to hit with just the 1st and/or 2nd kick, Land Cancel, and then follow-up with a Grab, F-tilt, D-tilt, Reversed U-tilt, Jab or possibly a Smash.

This attack works well when Full Jumping. Use a Full-Jumped F-air to preemptive strike an opponent about to advance with an Aerial Attack - you can pull back with this FJ'd F-air easily, or Fast-Fall into an Auto Cancel, or not FF and hit with a B-air before landing.

When used off-stage, utilize the Duration of this attack to cover a larger area than the B-air would. Remember you only need a single hit to nullify a mid-air Jump and gimp many character's recoveries. If you're far enough off-stage, the 3rd Kick can have enough oomph to KO your opponent off the side.

D-air
Let's get this out ther right away: the start-up on Kirby's D-air is terrible. Because of this, you can get hit before ever landing it, making it very difficult to use as an approach. It's best used for its Duration, catching an opponent who Side Steps in a long lasting multi-hit. You can often times save yoruself when hittnig a Shield by pulling away or sneaking behind the opponent as they have to hold their shield against the multi-hit drill.

Use a Full Jump to drill overhead, keeping your opponent on the ground and at a safe distance from any Shield. You can also catch tall characters with the tips of your toes while using a Full Jump. When FJing it allows you to strike with a B-air before landing, Jump before landing, or Fast Fall into an Auto Cancel.

Using the D-air off-stage can be tricky due to its start-up, but if you can get a drill on someone it will drag them down for a gimp. Additionally, you an folow up the D-air spike into a Footstool, or you can move to the side and catch the opponent with a B-air as they Meteor Cancel.

B-air
This is Kirby's fastest Aerial with little cool-down and a short Landing Lag. It also has some decent reach and knockback. Because of all this, its a good attack to use for approaching, spacing, knockback, off-stage fights, damage building, and KOing.

When Short Hopping, you can B-air quickly out of a Jump and then either Fast-Fall into an Auto Cancel or 2nd Jump into another B-air/Aerial/Special. This technique allows you to appraoch with a B-air and then pull away with another B-air to cover you, or to Jump forward with B-air and then Giant Swing/Final Cutter/Inhale.

Spamming B-air is fine since it's one of the easier attacks to use in any given situation, but emphasis on timing and spacing must be even more important. Varying when and where you B-air will keep the opponent off guard. For instance, you approach like you're going to B-air and his Shield goes up; don't hit so soon. He is waiting for the B-air to hit his Shield and then to punish it. Instead, pull back and hit him with the tips of your toes for maximum distance and aim at the very bottom of his shield. At the least, your distancing makes it hard to be punished, and at the best you might catch him as he drops his Shield or you may Shield Stab him.

Though the B-air isn't especially powerful, it can still KO when the opponent is on the far side of the Stage or Off-Stage. The trick is to land the B-air at fairly high percents (120% to 150%), while it is fresh. To refresh your b-air, try getting a Grab, then Pummel as much as you can get in, and then Throw. Jabs, F-tilt, U-tilt, and D-tilt also work well, sending your opponent farther to the side while removing Stale Moves on the B-air. once your B-air is unspammed and the opponent is off-stage, or near the ledge, let them have it. Just make sure to sweet spot for the full knockback.

U-air
The U-air is like an Aerial U-tilt. It's trajectory is vertical and sets up for juggles and combos well. The entire attack is always sweet spotted, so you can land it at any point in its overhead arc on any point on Kirby's feet. Technically the best time to hit with the U-air is on the last frame of its hitbox as this will allow you to follow-up more quicly in the Air or Fast Fall into an Auto Cancel sooner (as opposed to hitting with the 1st frame hitbox and then waiting for all the remaining frames to finish).

If you're on-stage the timing is much easier as you can Fast Fall at any point after HitStun and Land Cancel the U-air into a Follow-Up. Good Follow-ups for the U-air include: U-tilt, U-Smash, Grab, F-tilt, B-air, or F-air. It's possible to finish he U-air completely from a Short Hop before touching the ground allowing you to Mid-air Jump, similar as can be done with the B-air. Approaching with the U-air is either done with a Reverse U-air (hitting with the tail end of the attack) and Fast Falling into a Landing Cancel/Auto Cancel, or simply running underneathe the opponent and U-airing quickly into an Auto Cancel

Using the U-air off-stage is best used for knocking edge guarders away. As you jump up, if the opponent is anywhere near you or coming down after you, take advantage of the U-air's overhead reach and knock the attacker away from you. If they're waiting at the ledge, take a swipe at their feet instead of going straight for the ledge.

While the KO potential for U-air is unliekly at best, do be aware that if the opponent is near the top of the screen, it is possible for the U-air to get a vertical KO. This usually occurs at high percents (140% +), and at least half way up the screen. For the most part, the U-air's job is building damage and setting up combos.

F-Smash
This is the epitome of Kirby's Finishers. The priority on this attack is enough to cut through almost anything and net you a KO in the process. Land this at 90% to 110% to KO almost anyone. It can KO at even lower percents depending on how close the opponent is to the horizontal boundaries, how poorly they DI, and how light the character is.

The beauty of this attack is that at higher percents, it will KO vertically as well as horizontally nullifying vertical DI, so hitting someone the long way on Final Destination at 125% will still KO them regardless of DI. If you angle the F-smash up, it will deal an extra 1% and send the opponent a steeper vertical angle making vertical DI even less effective.

Hitting a Shield or having this attack Dodged is bad news since it is very easy to punish the lag. Because of this, you do not want to wantonly throw this mash otu, even if the opponent is well within KO percent. Stay patient by using safer attacks, but when you see the opening, take it.

D-smash
The main reason to use this Smash isntead of F-smash is due to its speed. It comes out a few frames more quickly and is Kirby's fastest Smash Attack. When you sweetspot it (in towards Kirby's body) it has significant vertical knockback making it a viable KO option against light, floaty characters. It KOs them around 110% to 130%.

When you hit someone with Kirby's toes, it has weaker Knockback, but the trajectory changes to a sharp horizontal angle. This is good to use on characters who are easily edge guarded or to send a foe off-stage for a gimp. Due to the lack of power behind the horizontal knockback it is unlikely to KO outright.

An interesting property of the D-smash is that at a specific point in the attack, the hitbox actually extends over Kirby's head as he squishes and spins. This can be used to hit people overhead, though the timing might be a bit tricky.

If you've sidestepped an attack, the D-smash is often a good powerful punisher due to its speed, especially if a F-smash won't KO and would go stale by doing so. In general, it's a good, fast damage builder that may happen to KO but leaves your other KO options free of Stale Moves.

U-smash
The U-smash, when Sweet Spotted, is a powerful vertical finisher. It's great to use on floaties and KOs around the 90% to 110% range. It can also be used to end a combo for taht extra little damage and crowd pleaser. For instance, U-air > U-tilt > U-smash can catch the opponent for about 32% damage, or a quick U-air > U-smash for 26%.

Two techniques useful for the U-smash include Dashign U-smash & Jump Canceled Shield into U-smash. The Dashing U-smash is a great technique to use to get under the airborne foe while starting up or charging the Smash. This is good to use when you know your opponent is coming in for an aerial attack, or for specific situations like Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop to hit him safely from underneath before he can Glide Attack.

U-smash out of Shield, or "Jump Canceled U-smash", is a quick counter attack after someone has lagged themselves on your Shield. Quickly cancel your Shield by Jumping and then cancel the Jump with an immediate U-smash. If you have Tap Jump set to ON you can tap Up on the Control Stick while holding your Shield and hit up on the Smash Stick (C-stick set to Smash) to execute a Jump Canceld U-smash. If your Tap Jump is OFF, you'll hve to Flick Jump into a U-Smash. This techniqu is good against laggy attacks, especially if you Perfect Shield into a U-smash out of Shield, or agasint attacks like Jigglypuff's Rollout.

F-Throw
Kirby's F-throw is easily his most used Throw because of its facility in comboing into U-air, F-air, or Grab at low percents. It can also be used as a lead on floaties into Giant Swing if the victim is caught unawares and fails to Air Dodge. F-throw > U-air is usually a guarenteed 18% combo when the opponent is at 0% to 20% (depending on weight), and it is possible to combo into U-tilt, Reversed U-tilt, F-tilt, Grab, F-air, or Inhale depending on the character and how your opponent reacts.

It's possible for the victim to Smash DI away/up from the U-air and break Kirby's combos. In this case, you'll want to follow their DI and respond with something that catches them off-guard such as Dash Attack, F-air, or U-air. Often times their Smash DI will break the combo outright, but it still puts the opponent into a disadvantaged position allowing you to keep the pressure on them from underneath with U-air, U-tilt, and Grab.

Some characters have effective means of breaking this combo such as Snake pulling out a grenade or Marth and Mr. Game & Watch using U-Special. In such cases, just go with what works. If you can only get 18%, take it and stay on track; don't let it break your focus. If you can abuse their counter tactic, do it: such as F-throw and then Air Doding Marth's U-special, which leaves himself open for a Hammer.

On other characters, the F-throw can be devastating. Fox, Falco, Falcon and heavy characters in general, can be caught in an F-throw > U-air > F-throw > U-air combo or are easily comboed with F-throw > U-air > U-Tilt (Reversed U-tilt), sometimes followed up with B-airs or F-smash, racking up 50% damage or more. If your opponent does not DI properly, abuse this combo for all you can get.

Using the F-throw to get an opponent off-stage is difficult because if DI'd upward, and it usually is, it won't have much horizontal knockback. This means the opponent will be launched vertically most of the time, but you can take advantage of that and try for an aerial Follow-up.

At higher percents, F-throw becomes less useful since you cannot combo out of it and it does little damage. It generally will not KO until well over 200% depending on DI and where you are on-stage. Because of this, the F-throw is best used to set up for combos at low percents.

D-throw
This is Kirby's most versatile throws. It can be used at low percents to combo into U-tilt, F-tilt, or another Grab. It can also be used at mid to high percents as a damage builder since it does the most damage of all his Throws.

You can also use the D-throw and follow the opponent from below into another D-throw. Feel free to throw in U-tilt, U-air, N-air or Smash attacks to mix things up and keep the opponent guessing. This works best on characters who have poor overhead options li9ke ROB, Snake, and Marth, or on characters who like to abuse D-air such as Lucario, G&W etc.

This Throw is far from a KO move, so stick to using it to build damage.

B-throw
A very little used Throw. It deals little damage, doesn't really KO, is hard to combo out of, and is easily DI'd. The only real use for it is to mix things up when your opponent is expecting a F-throw in hopes to follow up with a B-air or perhaps that their DI is poor and the throw sends them off-stage.

U-throw
While this Throw looks cool, its main use is as a potential KO attack. Kirby will launch himself into the air, invincible, and then come back down on the highest platform. Landing on an overhead platform is a crucial tactic as it will reduce the required percent to KO your opponent from the usual 150% - 200% range to 120% - 150% range. For instance, grabbing Game & Watch at 120% can usually net you a KO after pummeling and landing your U-throw on the top-most platform on Battlefield. Stages with good platforms include Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (tilted up), Halberd, and Rainbow Cruise.

The U-throw can also be used as a 'safe' throw. That is, a Throw you can use when there is something or someone who poses a threat nearby. Example would be Grenades, Mortars, and Rockets from Snake; another character in Team Battle or Free For All; or Nana (Popo) when grabbing the Ice Climbers. Since Kirby moves quickly, and is invincible upon launch, he can break through mortars, evade enemies, and escape the evil cluches of Nana, all while performing his U-throw.

It's possible to use this Throw as a Kirbycide. The requirement is that you are at the very edge of the stage (as far as Teeter position), and that you hit a ceiling before coming back down. Stages such as Hyrule Temple, Skyworld, and New Pork City are examples of stages that meet these requirements.

N-Special (Inhale)

The N-special is considered a Grab and has the same Heavy Frames all Grabs have as they hit. Since it's a Grab, the Inhale is not affected by Shields and Kirby cannot be Grabbed when he has someone in his mouth. The range of the N-Special is fairly short - just a little more than a standing Grab - but it also has wind properties that pull people and things toward Kirby if they are immediately outside the hitbox. This wind effect is not very strong, nor very fast, so it's best to use the N-special with its actual hitbox.

Since the N-special ignores Shields, it's the perfect attack to use when your opponent is on the defensive and stands in one place with his Shield up. Usually a regular Grab is the better option, but the N-special can be used in mid-air as well as on the ground. Additionally, it prevents the victim from sidestepping and punishing because Kirby's Inhale can be held indefinitely thus catching Sidesteppers after their invincibility expires. If the victim rolls away, then it's best to stop Inhale immediately before they have a chance to strike back. However, if the opponent is not experienced with how to counter an Inhaling Kirby, they might perform something rash and end up getting swallowed anyway.

Once you've gobbled someone up, you have three choices:

• Star Shot

[*]Copy
    [*]Let them break free
In addition to the above actions, you can also move and jump off the ground, albeit slowly.

Using the Star Shot is often a good choice in certain situations. You may, for instance, want to strategically place your opponent to one side or the other such as spitting them off-stage, or forcing them into a stage hazard (like the Halberd's laser).

The Star Shot will deal 10% damage, and sometimes you can follow-up with an Aerial Attack like B-air or U-air, especially after spitting someone off-stage because they will try to move back toward you to get their feet back on the ground.

Using the Star Shot can also be as a projectile allowing you to hit opponents or items to the side of you. This is seen mostly in Team Battle or Free For All when there is more than one opposing character, but it can also be used against Ice Climbers or to hit some character's items (like Claymore, Grenades, Gyro, etc).

The Star Shot can be used in conjunction to a Kirbycide (see below).

Note that Kirby is completely invincible for a very short time as he uses a Star Shot (as seen by a slight flash).

Note that Kirby is completely invincible as he uses Copy (he will flash a lighter color while invincible).

If you push the Special Attack after Inhaling someone, or Down on the control stick, Kirby will swallow the victim using Copy, and will get a Hat. This does 6% damage and sends the victim overhead as a star. Note that the star is an actual Star Shot - it may not hit things very often, but it does have a hitbox and the damage is the same as spitting someone out with Star Shot.

Copying the opponent is only as beneficial as the ability Kirby gains from the victim, otherwise Star Shot deals more damage and often puts the opponent in a better position strategically speaking.

You should know that some characters are able to hit Kirby after he uses Copy by striking with an attack that is quick/long or that stops their momentum in the air, such as many character's D-air (Meta Knight, ROB, Shiek, Lucario, etc). You should factor in the chances of getting hit when Copying an opponent.

Hats and Copy Abilities will be given more detail below.

Break Free
There's little reason to allow your victim to break free of your Inhale. They take no damage after a Break Free and will reemerge next to Kirby. It's unlikely that you'll be able to combo out of a Break Free - you'd be playing rock-paper-scissors at best guessing if they're going to attack, shield, or move away. Because of this, you're better off using Star Shot or Copy as you see fit and at least dealing some damage to the opponent.

The effects of a victim Breaking Free off-stage are covered with Kirbycides, below.

Kirbycides
Perhaps the most feared and powerful use of the Inhale is the renown "Kirbycide" - made famous by yours truly. -^_^-

When a victim is swallowed and caught in Kirby's belly, the only option he has is to Break Free. While they're attempting to Break Free, Kirby can throw himself over a Death Zone (going past the stage's boundaries) automatically KOing his victim along with himself. This is usually done by Inhaling someone while Kirby is near a ledge or already off-stage, and then dropping off the bottom of the screen. Other ways include walking off the side of the screen (Delfino, Castle Siege, Bridge of Eldin, etc), getting lifted off the top (Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, etc), or some other odd self-destructive incident (New Pork City's Chimera, etc).

Ledge-hopped N-Special seems to work best in a tournament, especially when the opponent is expecting a ledge-hopped attack and puts up a Shield. Using Inhale while recovering is also effective when you expect the opponent to jump out to edge guard and instead they jump into Kirby's mouth far from the stage. And finally, Inhale can be used as part of aggressive Air Guarding allowing you to jump out and catch someone in Kirby's mouth during their recovery.

SD-Cancel (Self-Destruct Canceling)
Since Kirby SD's on the same frame as the victim in his mouth, there's little to be done about saving yourself after the fact. Because of this, Kirbycides are best used when you are ahead in Stock or if you are at high damage and KOing your opponent at the cost of your life is better than you could expect from fighting it out. However, there are some techniques you can use when losing a stock is to be avoided.

The Star Shot is an excellent option to use when trying to avoid an SD. This works best when the victim has a hard time recovering, such as Falco. Characters with good recovery will have an easier time avoiding the Star Shot Kirbycide since they will keep their unused mid-air jumps and have a U-Special. In such a case, it's best to Inhale these characters after they have used their Mid-Air Jump.

Some characters have good recoveries, but only in one direction (vertically or horizontally). When attempting a Star Shot Kirbycide on these character, abuse their recovery options. For instance, Dedede without any Jumps spit underneath Smashville is unlikely to recover. Donkey Kong, Sonic, Marth, Ike, etc are all in very bad positions to recover when dragged far from the stage and spit out or when shot underneath a stage.

For characters with better recoveries, like ROB, Meta Knight, Jigglypuff, etc, you're going to have a lot more work ahead of you. After you use a Star Shot, you will have to engage in an aerial battle. Try to send these characters under a stage and then use B-air, F-air, U-air, and Final Cutter to knock them into the stage and getting a stage spike. N-air and D-air are not as reliable in these situations since they have detrimental start-up or duration, and you will often not be able to position yourself adequately for a good D-air spike. Instead, focus more on getting a solid hit on the opponent which will usually secure a KO for you, but keep an eye out in case you need to follow-up with additional aerial attacks.

Another tip with the Star Shot Kirbycide is that on some stages you can spit your opponent out as a star into the stage where there is an angle. If the opponent doesn't break free, the trajectory of the Star Shot will rebound at a downward angle. This can be done on Battlefield, Final Destination, and others. This is an advanced mind game when you know your opponent has learned to purposefully not Break Free and is attempting to use the momentum of the Star Shot to carry him under the stage to the other side. Surprise him by sending him downward, and then follow up with a D-air or B-air.

Sometimes the opponent will be adept at Breaking Free. You must take into account how quickly you think your opponent will Break Free of the Inhale in order to react accordingly. For instance, if you expect them to Break Free while you are still on-stage, then you might want to use the time to face the ledge and use a Star Shot sending them off-stage. There's a good chance that someone struggling to Break Free will break out of the Star Shot instead and kill themself with a Special Attack or at the least use a Jump and set themselves up in a poor strategic position.

If you are already off-stage and the opponent is Breaking Free, you must decide how to react accordingly. Larger characters, for instance, can be Footstooled immediately after they Break Free, but smaller characters might be in the position to Footstool Kirby immediately after Breaking Free. If the latter is the case, you'll want to move away from the opponent and either try to get into position for an Edge Hog or attempt to hit him with an Aerial.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U-special (Final Cutter)
The Final Cutter is a recovery first and an attack second. The reason for this is because of the start-up time, duration, and lag of using the Final Cutter. It is very easy to punish, especially when the opponent knows the timing and effects of the Cutter.

There are actually two parts to the Final Cutter. The first is the Blade - the part that Kirby holds and swings around - and the other is the Cutter, which is the shockwave type of projectile after Kirby lands. The Blade has two main hitboxes, the first when Kirby leaps into the air (7%) and the second as Kirby comes back down (2%) - this second hitbox is a Meteor Smash.

The Blade is highly disjointed and has amazing priority, it can beat out Game & Watch's B-air and Marth's F-smash. The first hitbox of the Blade can knock projectiles away (such as Toon Link's arrows) and the Cutter is nearly indestructible, similar to ROB and Falco's lasers. The Cutter will only be destroyed by a Shield, but it won't Clash with other projectiles - it will either cut through solid projectiles, or pass through without interaction such as against Fox/Falco/ROB lasers. Keep in mind that the Cutter is an energy projectile so it can be absorbed by PK Magnet, caught in a Bucket, etc.

The Final Cutter is at it's best on the ledge. This is because the long start-up can be performed while the opponent cannot reach you and the lag can be Ledge Canceled. To Ledge Cancel, all you have to do is aim for the ledge on the way back down with a Final Cutter. The Blade will retain a full hitbox up until the point where Kirby grabs the ledge and gains invincibility. This allots Kirby a high-priority attack in front of him up until he safely reaches the ledge.

The Final Cutter is very useful with ledge games. You can drop from the ledge and Final Cutter upward hitting someone at their feet and then drop back down to the ledge again. If you repeat this, you put the opponent under Shield Pressure forcing him to either retreat, attempt to intercept a high-priority attack, or to get hit by the Blade. Alternately, you can drop onto the ledge and if your opponent is holding his Shield against an inevitable Final Cutter or ledge attack, this sets him up for a Kirbycide.

Please note that it is highly unlikely that landing on the stage and sending a Cutter out is better than a Ledge Canceled Final Cutter. Everyone's first reaction to the Final Cutter is to put up a Shield, which means you do not want to be next to them in lag if you can help it.

The Final Cutter can also be used when you are very high over the ledge. The opponent rarely expects Kirby to use Final Cutter while up very high, but with the horizontal movement alloted by the Final Cutter, and good aim, you can plummet from high up and Ledge Cancel as you come down. Since this is a rather unorthodox move, your opponent might get hit by the Blade instead of retreating or holding a Shield. This also gives you enough time that should your opponent Edge Hog your descent, that you'll be able to shift aim onto the stage (where you will be stuck in lag, unfortunately).

Also, the Final Cutter has a Kirbycide-like ability. When the opponent is off-stage, you can Final Cutter overhead and drop down with the Meteor Smash part of the blade. If you catch him, you can drag him down with you. The drawback to this is that Kirby is practically guaranteed to lost a stock whether hit hits or misses, and he usually is KO'd before the victim. Also, the Meteor Smash is fairly weak, so it's best used when the victim is very close to the bottom of the stage, otherwise you have to hope that he is completely surprised and does not Meteor Cancel in time.

It is difficult to SD-Cancel the Final Cutter Kirbycide because the most obvious way of doing that is by landing on solid ground, but this results in a Cutter being shot out and knocking your victim out of the Meteor Smash. The technique can still be accomplished if you pull away from your victim as you Meteor Smash them, and if the timing and everything is correct the Cutter shot will miss as Kirby lands on the ground and the victim gets Meteor Smashed. Another way of pulling this off is if the opponent is on the ledge and his invincibility has run out, the Final Cutter will hit with only the Blade as they hang on the ledge resulting in a Meteor Smash.

Another technique to SD-Cancel the Final Cutter is to simply get hit out of the Final Cutter after performing a Meteor Smash. While this may seem out of your control, such as a third player hitting you with a projectile, it can still be done with a little foresight. For instance, if you can predict an attack from the opponent that would hit you out of the Final Cutter you can SD-Cancel with it. It's not as hard as it sounds since you'll need to do this off-stage which is when the opponent is in a forced position. Recoveries like Fox, Falco, Marth, and Mario can be used to exchage hits with the Final Cutter resulting in the victim getting spiked and Kirby getting hit upward. Just make sure you don't miss!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-special, Ground (Hammer)
This is a slow, laggy... but powerful attack! It may seem difficult to hit someone with, but that's the point. If it were easy to hit people with, it would be broken. The Ground Hammer can KO around 70% to 90% on average, which makes it Kirby's strongest KO move. The trick is to find a way to land it on your opponent. And here are some good tips:

* Use the slow start-up to your advantage!
If you start up your Hammer right when the opponent Dodges in place, his Side Step invincibility will expire right when the Hammer lands. Ka-Pow! This is a great mix-up when your opponent thinks you're going for a Grab - if you dash in and Grab only to get Side Stepped and punished, surprise them with a Hammer!

* Did you know that the Hammer can also be used against an Air Dodge?
hat's right! If your opponent Air Dodges because he thinks you're going to jump up and hit him, aim for where he's landing with a Hammer! If your timing is excellent you'll be able to hit right when he touches the ground in Landing Lag, unable to Shield. Try this out when you're juggling an opponent with U-air, U-tilt, or D-throw. If you notice they're Air Dodging to avoid your Aerials or U-tilt, let them have it!

* Predict & Punish!
If you know your opponent is going to move in for an attack, and you're good enough to see where they're going to be at a certain time, punish them with the Hammer. This works best with the mighty Retreating Hammer Tactic. Simply Dash back as your opponent approaches, leaving a big gap between you and your opponent, and use a Reverse Hammer. When your opponent's approach falls short, they'll stumble right into an on-coming Hammer swing.

* Shield Pressure
When your opponent foresees an attack and puts up a Shield now would be a good time to Grab, right? Well of course, and your opponent knows it! Use your Hammer to take an extra chunk out of their Shield and push them back making it harder for them to punish. As an added bonus, if they Dodge they're likely to take a Hammer, as mentioned above.

F-special, Aerial (Giant Swing)

The Giant Swing is an excellent choice for a KO attack. What makes this so good is that it KOs around the 90% to 120% range, and is twice as fast as the regular ground Hammer. It also has excellent aerial mobility allowing Kirby to move forward and backward as he attacks. Since it is an aerial attack, it can be used to jump out and Air Guard and if you hit it will KO at even lower percents since the Blast Zone is so close.

Use the Giant Swing as you would a regular Aerial Attack; the start-up is slow but only compared to B-air and the Giant Swing is about as fast as a D-air. The added power, mobility and disjointed hitbox will make up for the slow start up. You'll want to use this at higher percents because it makes for a poor lead and at lower percents you're better off building damage. And it goes without saying but if you need a faster attack, B-air will often times be a better choice.

One of the best things about the Giant Swing is that Kirby swings twice with it. The first hit is a strong hit with an upward diagonal trajectory, the second hit is only slightly weaker but has a pronounced horizontal trajectory which makes it very deadly as an Air Guard. When the opponent is off-stage be aggressive with this attack and swing early - this isn't just to catch them off-guard, but to force them into an Air Dodge. If the first swing misses, the second swing will come around and hit them after their Air Dodge and nine times out of ten KOs them.

A similar technique can be used while the opponent is on the ground. Use a Full Jump and start up the Giant Swing to look intimidating. This first swing can catch opponents as they jump into the air for an aerial approach, but most importantly it can cause grounded opponents to hesitate and go defensive. If they Side Step aim the second swing for them as they lose their vulnerability. If they hold their Shield, strike at the Shield with the fist hit and pull back using the second swing to cover your retreat. The mobility of the Giant Swing combined with the knockback of the shield hit will give you a safe amount of distance for your landing.

D-special (Stone)

The Stone is a tricky attack, both in how it tricks the opponent and in how difficult it is to use. While it does a decent amount of damage and has a fairly strong hit, the attack itself is Kirby's slowest attacks and leaves him very vulnerable after use. While these drawbacks are significant, the Stone still has its uses.

The most obvious use of the Stone is to simply drop on someone while overhead. This is especially useful when the opponent is on the offense and realizes too late that he has overstepped his attack. Such instances are when someone is pursuing with u-airs or is charging a U-smash as you descend - characters that do this often include Marth (U-air), Zelda (U-smash), etc.

When you miss with the Stone, you're in a bad position to say the least. If you're up high enough and see the opponent has evaded the Stone's descent you might be able to cancel while in the air. Not many players will jump up and knock you out of the air after you cancel the Stone since they're expecting you to drop to the ground - some players however are very adept at seeing when you're canceling and will jump up and hit you the moment you are vulnerable. Since this is the first step there's not much you can do - either take the hit or escape unscathed.

If you are unable to cancel the Stone in the air you can either cancel ASAP or hide in the Stone. Cancel ASAP if the opponent is far enough away for you to get out fast enough - hide in the Stone if the opponent is next to you and you expect them to go for an attack. Many people will - for no logical reason - try to hit Kirby's Stone even though he is pretty much immune to whatever they throw at him. Since this is the case, stay in Stone form and then cancel as soon as their HitBox is gone and counter attack with a B-air, N-air, or U-air.

A few people are smart and will actually Grab, which bypasses the Stone's protection - luckily not many characters have effective grabs or grab combos. The characters that DO have scary grabs, you will not want to be using the Stone against for the most part (Ness' b-throw, Pikachu's F-throw/D-throw, Falco's D-throw, Ice Climber's infinites). Other players might be knowledgeable enough to use an attack that 'breaks' the Stone, such as Dedede's full-charged F-smash, two D-airs from Ganondorf, PK Flash, etc. While this will inflict Knockback on Kirby equal to the attack, it will not inflict actual damage on him - however, this is little consolation considering how powerful these attacks can be.

The smartest and most wily of players will do the exact perfect thing to counter the Stone, and these are the players you really have to keep your eye on. For instance, they will rarely be hit by the Stone and they will hit you with an aerial after you cancel the Stone in mid-air or they will walk up and smash you if you cancel on the ground. Worst of all, if you hide in your Stone they will not attack it nor will they Grab you out of it. Instead, they will stand next to you patiently. If you cancel you get Smashed, but if you don't cancel they will wait a moment and then start charging a F-smash/U-smash so that when your Stone expires you will be hit with a full-charged smash attack. The best thing to do in this instance is to cancel the Stone immediately and b-air/Dodge or take the uncharged Smash Attack (unless you can cancel in the air and just take an Aerial Attack).

When used off-stage, the Stone can be an unstoppable Air Guard. Since it's practically invincible it can intercept jumps and other recovery options. It's also easier to predict where the opponent will be since people are always trying to move toward the stage and stay high. Drop onto Jumps, Glides, and U-Specials for a surprise hit. The drawback is that the Stone has a vertical knockback which places the opponent into a better position to recover, unless it outright KOs them.

The Stone slides along slanted ground, so it's a good idea to aim for uneven ground when landing. If you miss, it can move you away making it at least slightly harder for your opponent to punish you. Additionally, if the slant goes off-stage you can escape punishment all together. You can also use this as an effective surprise attack: if your opponent is next to you as you drop off the platform, the "Aerial Stone" hitbox will reappear and can hit your opponent the instant you drop off-stage. This can be used to stall your edge guard as your opponent comes up, grabs the ledge, you slide past him, and then hit him as he climbs back on the stage.

Finally the Stone can be a good option against a Shield in some instances. This is because the Stone will hit a Shield on its way down and forces the opponent to keep their Shield up for the secondary hit when the Stone lands. If they drop their Shield, the second hitbox will knock them away. If they keep their Shield up, the second hitbox will add to the first hitbox's knockback giving you more of a safe distance to revert out of the Stone. When used on a Shield that is already weakened it's possible to break the Shield completely, or at the least, the second hitbox will 'Shield Stab' the opponent and hit them even though they keep their Shield up. Good times to do this are after using a Full Jumped B-air, going overhead, and the opponent expects a second B-air (but surprise them with a Stone).

2. Approaches, Leads, and Follow-ups

Approach: any movement or attack you make toward your opponent as an offensive advance.
Lead: an attack that leads into another attack or puts your opponent into position that is vulnerable to immediate attack.
Follow-Up: additional attacks used after a previous attack, mostly seen after a Lead. These can be strings, combos, or consecutive hits.

Combo: Multiple attacks executed in succession when the opponent is unable to retaliate or escape.
String: A series of attacks that are landed on an opponent even though the opponent is able to retaliate or escape.
Consecutive Hits: "True" combos made up of multiple attacks that land while the opponent is still in HitStun making it impossible for the opponent to retaliate or escape.

Approaching with Kirby
(to be updated later)

Leads & Follow-ups

The following list all common Leads & Follow-ups, and a few uncommon ones as well. Anything in Parentheses is optional or a courtesy reminder (such as turning to attack in the correct direction).

"R." is short for "Reverse" which would mean you need to face the opposite direction, or hit with the opposite side of the attack.

Jab > Straight
Jab > Straight > Vulcan Punch
Jab > Straight > Jab
Jab > (Straight) > Grab
Jab > (Straight) > D-tilt
Jab > (Straight) > F-tilt
Jab > (Straight) > (R.) U-tilt

F-throw > U-air
D-throw > U-tilt

U-tilt > Jab
U-tilt > Grab
U-tilt > U-tilt
U-tilt > F-tilt
U-tilt > D-tilt
U-tilt > B-air
U-tilt > U-air
U-tilt > N-air
U-tilt > U-smash
U-tilt > F-smash
U-tilt > D-smash

D-tilt > Grab
D-tilt > D-tilt
D-tilt > F-tilt
D-tilt > R. U-tilt
D-tilt > F-air
D-tilt > D-air
D-tilt > F-smash
D-tilt > Dashing U-smash
D-tilt > Dash Attack

D-air > Landing Hit > Grab
D-air > Landing Hit > Dash Attack
D-air > Landing Hit > F-tilt
D-air > Landing Hit > D-tilt
D-air > Landing Hit > (R.) (Sliding) U-tilt
D-air > Landing Hit > F-smash
D-air > Landing Hit > Dashing U-smash
D-air > B-air
D-air > Giant Swing
D-air > Final Cutter
D-air > Inhale
D-air > Stone
D-air > Footstool

U-air, land cancel > Jab
U-air, land cancel > Grab
U-air, land cancel > U-tilt
U-air, land cancel > F-tilt
U-air, land cancel > D-tilt
U-air, land cancel > F-air
U-air, land cancel > N-air
U-air, land cancel > U-air
U-air, land cancel > U-smash
U-air, land cancel > F-smash
U-air, land cancel > D-smash
(R.) U-air, land cancel > B-air
R. U-air > footstool > N-air > Jab Lock > Hammer

F-air x3, auto cancel > Jab
F-air x3, auto cancel > Grab
F-air x3, auto cancel > F-tilt
F-air x3, auto cancel > D-tilt
F-air x3, auto cancel > (R.) U-tilt
F-air x3, auto cancel > F-smash
F-air x3, auto cancel > D-smash
F-air x3, auto cancel > (dashing) U-smash

F-air x2, land cancel > Jab
F-air x2, land cancel > Grab
F-air x2, land cancel > (R.) U-tilt

F-air x1, land cancel > Jab
F-air x1, land cancel > Grab
F-air x1, land cancel > (R.) U-tilt

N-air, land cancel > Jab
N-air, land cancel > Grab
N-air, land cancel > D-tilt
N-air, weak land cancel > F-tilt {higher percent}
N-air, weak land cancel > U-tilt
N-air, land cancel > F-smash
N-air, land cancel > D-smash
N-air, land cancel > (dashing) U-smash

B-air (land cancel) > (Turn) Jab
B-air (land cancel) > (Turn) Grab
B-air (land cancel) > U-tilt
B-air (land cancel) > (Turn) F-tilt
B-air (land cancel) > (Turn) D-tilt
B-air (land cancel) > B-air
B-air > B-air

3. Advanced Techniques

Hammer Pivot
During a full-out Run you will normally be unable to use a Hammer backward, only forward. However, there is a technique that will allow you to turn around and swing the Hammer behind you, and that is the Hammer Pivot. During your Run perform a forward-facing Hammer as normal, but immediately input backward on the Control Stick. This may be difficult to use effectively in a fight, but can still have its uses.

Hammer Slide
Execute a Hammer after initiating a Dash or Run, the momentum from the
Dash/Run will transfer over to the Hammer making Kirby slide a short
distance as he winds up for his Hammer Swing.

Ledge Canceled Hammer
Start a Hammer Slide (see above) but as you move toward a ledge.
If the momentum from the Hammer Slide takes you over the ledge, the
Hammer will cancel out and Kirby will be able to perform any other
action immediately afterward. (Note: carries Phantom Lag).

Giant Swing Reversal
The Giant Swing can also be reversed, either by using a "Backward Special Attack" or by a "Reverse" technique. The B-Special is done simply by pushing backward and the Special Attack in the air. The Reverse Giant Swing is done in the same manner as the "Pivot Hammer" but in the air: start up the Giant Swing to the front as normal, but immediately push backward on the Control Stick to flip the attack around and strike behind you.

Both the Backward Special Attack and the Reverse Giant Swing can be used when jumping away or distancing yourself from the opponent. As you move away, if the opponent closes in change your momentum with the Giant Swing and send a strong hammer back at them. Often times the opponent will be wary and can get a Shield up in time, in which case you'll want to retreat or 'fade' your Giant Swing away from them; other times you can get lucky and land a Giant Swing this way. One tip while fading your Giant Swing is that if you are near the ledge, you can retreat over the side and edge hog right as the Giant Swing finishes affording you a safe landing and invincibility frames.

”Short” Final Cutter
You can eliminate the vertical movement of the Final Cutter by hitting a ceiling during the upward movement of the attack. If you do this under a solid stage, immediately maneuver over to the ledge after the vertical momentum is finished to sweet spot the ledge. This can be useful to fake out an edge guarding opponent who expects you to rise over the top of the ledge.

Final Cutter "Teleport"
This technique is similar to the Short Final Cutter, except instead of obstructing the vertical movement you can eliminate the rising animation entirely, move from under a ledge to the top of the stage instantly and shoot a Final Cutter shot. It is currently unknown how this happens, but it is theorized that Kirby gets "stuck" in the stage and "resets" his position above the stage instead of staying underneath it. The discussion thread for this technique is here:
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=86152

Reversed Inhale
Tap backward on the control stick and immediately start an Inhale (return the control stick to neutral position of course). The backward tap will reverse the Inhale which is useful for catching people as they move behind you or as you move behind the opponent, especially if they try to Shield or Sidestep.

Reverse-Momentum Inhale
Start an Inhale as normal but immediately input "Backward" with the control stick. Kirby's Inhale will be reversed and any momentum he has will also be reversed. The effects and uses of this technique are best seen when jumping away and immediately Reverse-Momentum Inhaling to transfer your jump momentum into the other direction. It can also be used while running; cancel your run with an Inhale and then immediately reverse momentum to flip Kirby into the opposite direction and "slide" him across the ground with the remainder of his running momentum.

The "Ninja Spike"
Under certain conditions (stage and character dependant), Kirby can stage-spike an opponent with a U-throw at the far edge of a stage. More information can be found in the "Ninja Spike" Thread.

The "Pirate Spike"
Forcing a break-free out of a Swallow in the water followed by a spike from the ship in the Pirate Ship stage. More information can be found in the "Pirate Spike" Thread.

Fast-Falling Lasers
Kirby can fast fall out of an Aerial Attack and buffer into a Laser (Fox or Falco, not ROB) resulting in a quicker descent combined with a laser shot. More information can be found in the Fast Falling Lasers Thread.

=========================================

This is a work in progress, and so I feel it’s best to simply include a link to the page where the analysis is being archieved.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=83466

--------------------------------------------------------------------
V. Appendices
--------------------------------------------------------------------
i. URL Links

HitBox Video, Kirby
SmileyStation's VIDEO adaptation of this Guide
Kirby & The Amazing Guide (All is Brawl)
Krii's Crouch Avoid List
Deg's Kirby Instructional Video
[part 1]
[part 2]

Thank you for reading!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yes, no more lose all your jumps when you do Final Cutter. Now I can spam it safely with out worries. How many foe's you killed with Kirby. jk :p

Great guide though.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
t!mmy + Kirby + Brawl is just amazing. Can't wait to see how he develops. From what I've played, he's really exciting, and people who played him in Melee will feel right at home but will also be more than welcome to his changes in Brawl.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
Nice guide! So it seems that kirbycides (or kirbykazis as I like to call them) are totally out, or at least very hard to do unless you jump off the edge right after you suck them up?

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Epic win right here. Kirby looks like he's way better. Mid or High Tier easy. Not losing jumps from being nailed during Final Cutter is a huge help. And now Kirby can actually combo off his u-grab. Stone's shockwave gives him 2-and-a-half spikes now, and FC's is easier to pull off.

Only 4 Stone transformations? What, no thwomp? :laugh:

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, seems unorthodox to use Stone on the ground. Wonder if anyone has been able to extract hitbox info, or should I come back next year?

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
all right t!mmy! i can't wait for the rest of the guide. it will really help us kirby mains. kirby's better than ever. i hope to face your kirby with mine on the battlefield one day. awesome job man, keep up the excellent work! kirby rules!

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
t!mmy, I love you, seriously.

This is BEYOND awesome! Its perfect, and exactly what I needed!

Would it be possible for you to say how long arial dodges take/how long it takes to attack after an arial dodge. Its the only other thing I need to know aboit Kirby as of now, it may seem a little strange, but ever sice I heard of the new arial-dodge mechanics, I have been brewing up some new ideas about how to use it...

Thanks again for providing a good service and source of knowledge to all other Kirby fans! ^_^

*wii post*

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Simply awesome, T!mmy !
Thanks a bunch for this!

Kirby seems improved in Brawl, yet seems like he will play pretty much the same as in Melee, and I love it!

Kirby & The Amazing Guide FTW!

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
classic mode on hard....what if i just do it on easy 4 times...that;s the same right. jk
Very nice guide and i completely agree with you on Superstar turning me on kirby too
Best Kirby game ever(tg it being made for the DS)
Great informative guide Can't wait to see more videos

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
So...how effective is the Reaper Combo now? But I guess you'll answer that in the next update.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
At first I thought Kirby's u-tilt was really nerfed because of the floatier mechanics. It felt like I wouldn't even be able to go for the classic Kirby combo (U-tilt to U-air or B-air), and that the only thing that could work anymore was the Reaper Combo, and only at very low percents.

Then I realized that I was timing things according to Kirby's speed in Melee and everything changed. =D!!!!!!!

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
...because Kirby's UTilt is faster in Brawl. I get it. So overall, still pretty good against fastfallers?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I dunno! I think he could have the potential to be ... middle tier! (Gasp!) But that's pretty good considering most characters are looking middle tier right about now.

Delta, the u-tilt seems to work about as well on every character. Fast fallers, or large characters, just seem to be even easier to catch into combos instead of the old days of u-tilt, u-tilt, u-tilt, u-air. (No one ever gets caught in that combo... do they? ha ha ha)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby seems to be in a position that Jigglypuff had in Melee. Really good air game (it even combos now!!!) and slower ground games. Only problem is that his horizontal speed isn't as fast. Has Kirby's Fence of Pain been torned down or has it become sturdier?

Kirby, Mid-Tier. OMG!!!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ha ha, "Fence of Pain" no longer exists. Kirby has the "Almighty Blockade o' Doom"... and it combos too.

By the way, I made some very interesting discoveries today. I will add them to the guide tomorrow morning (I'm going to bed now).

Chexr

Smash Ace
hey t!mmy we didnt play at the dan2 but we need to play in brawl. Little did you know that I have a pretty ferocious kirby in melee even though i played jiggs now its the other way around. Hopefully lag isnt to bad from Oregon to Minnesota 8)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
At first I thought Kirby's u-tilt was really nerfed because of the floatier mechanics. It felt like I wouldn't even be able to go for the classic Kirby combo (U-tilt to U-air or B-air), and that the only thing that could work anymore was the Reaper Combo, and only at very low percents.

Then I realized that I was timing things according to Kirby's speed in Melee and everything changed. =D!!!!!!!
So wait, you mean the Reaper Combo is still in?!

:kirby: :kirby: :kirby: :kirby:

jlbchamp

Smash Cadet
here is of vid of me playing as kirby
i made a few mistakes on this vid but its still good to watch,
also for people who doesn't have this game and play as kirby on melee.........well he's really different on brawl, especially since the game mechanics have change, therefore making it more easier to combo with kirby and some other stuff.... I'll show you guys later when i get the chance

btw i wasn't the one that uploaded the vid but soon I'll be able to add some myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwtBzuQVqaY

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Kirby's throws are all cameos. His forward, back, and down throws are from suplex kirby in super star. His up throw is the grab attack for ninja kirby.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
hey t!mmy we didnt play at the dan2 but we need to play in brawl.
Wow, you didn't tell me you played Kirby. Anyway: Friend Code, give it to me when you get it.

So wait, you mean the Reaper Combo is still in?!
How could it not be? Lol

here is of vid of me playing as kirby
Wrong thread, try the Kirby Video Archive.

Kirby's throws are all cameos.
I know; the guide isn't finished. It feels like it's taking me forever, but I have so many things to do and I want to take my time on this and make it really good. :)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
No fair t!Mmy, you imported, I thought we were gonna have a fair go at this :(

(Fyi, I challenged t!Mmy to a guide writing contest, first complete guide for kirby wins, but he CHEATED by wavedashing.......I mean importing >.> thus giving him an unfair head start)

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Lol Reaper ^

It was probly expensive since he would have needed to buy a Japanese Wii first since they're region locked. Unless he has a Wiikey or something, but who'd wanna ruin their Wii for that? =/

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh, I forgot you challenged me to a guide writing contest all together. >_>
(update coming soon today)

Edit:
WOW! I just noticed something... under the "Hats Galore" section, look at the picture of the Meta Knight hat. I was going to redo it since it turned out sort of blurry, but then I noticed something... Kirby has a replica of Meta Knight's sword. Where did that come from? Kirby doesn't get that when he copies Meta Knight. o_0

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Oh, I forgot you challenged me to a guide writing contest all together. >_>
(update coming soon today)

Edit:
WOW! I just noticed something... under the "Hats Galore" section, look at the picture of the Meta Knight hat. I was going to redo it since it turned out sort of blurry, but then I noticed something... Kirby has a replica of Meta Knight's sword. Where did that come from? Kirby doesn't get that when he copies Meta Knight. o_0
The sword appears during the twister attack. The pic is probably from the very end of the attack so the sword is still out.

jlbchamp

Smash Cadet
btw guys when kirby goes out for a spike as long as most of the drill hits and the ending part, you can instantly do a toadstool jump on them too, very good for killing your oppenent when they are tryin to come back to the stage

Top Bottom