• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
And his new "Poison" hat seems like it could easily make for a new dash attack. He jumps up, leans back and rides a wave of toxic water, which could translate into a move that would last as long as the button was held (probably with a maximum cap) and would leave a damaging trail behind that would fade away during the end lag. All of Kirby himself would be vulnerable but his feet, which would have a 1% hitbox to prevent him from travelling through foes and gooping them that way.
The move would allow him to escape without much chance to be pursued or to push foes off the ledge and into a potential edgeguard but would also be risky as he would not move fast or come out of it especially quickly and would still be almost entirely hurtbox.
The Poison ability seems like a suspiciously similar substitute for the Water ability from Return to Dream Land.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
And his new "Poison" hat seems like it could easily make for a new dash attack. He jumps up, leans back and rides a wave of toxic water, which could translate into a move that would last as long as the button was held (probably with a maximum cap) and would leave a damaging trail behind that would fade away during the end lag. All of Kirby himself would be vulnerable but his feet, which would have a 1% hitbox to prevent him from travelling through foes and gooping them that way.
The move would allow him to escape without much chance to be pursued or to push foes off the ledge and into a potential edgeguard but would also be risky as he would not move fast or come out of it especially quickly and would still be almost entirely hurtbox.
It'd be great if he kept the momentum from his dash attack, similar to Pac-man, if it had really low cool down too it would be wonderful :3

TimG57867

Smash Ace
It'd be great if he kept the momentum from his dash attack, similar to Pac-man, if it had really low cool down too it would be wonderful :3
I feel like they should have given Kirby's dash attack the :4dk:treatment. It goes across the stage it pretty slowly and is a little laggy. If it had more of a burst at the start and less cooldown it'd make a great punish and out of shield option.

Also WOO! I was to win the tourney I mentioned a few posts back! (You can read about it in the tournament data thread. For a college local, it got pretty intense in the end.). How have things been going with you guys?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Well I guess that's a rap for Kirby's tournament run. Deven3000 was actually able to get into Top 48 on the loser's side but lost quickly to IIod so no double Kirby in Top 32. :c

Meanwhile, our boy MikeKirby had the great fortune of having to face Mr. R as his first opponent in Winners and ended going to losers quickly. There he beat he IIod as well and won only to have his bracket run brought to an end by MVD. But all things considered this was a very good placing for Kirby given how the community currently views him and should keep him from falling behind his fellow low/mid tiers. When the bracket is finished I'll add to the tournament data thread.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well I guess that's a rap for Kirby's tournament run. Deven3000 was actually able to get into Top 48 on the loser's side but lost quickly to IIod so no double Kirby in Top 32. :c

Meanwhile, our boy MikeKirby had the great fortune of having to face Mr. R as his first opponent in Winners and ended going to losers quickly. There he beat he IIod as well and won only to have his bracket run brought to an end by MVD. But all things considered this was a very good placing for Kirby given how the community currently views him and should keep him from falling behind his fellow low/mid tiers. When the bracket is finished I'll add to the tournament data thread.
I really want to see the Mr. R match...

The MVD match was close!

TimG57867

Smash Ace
While the buffs we got are relatively moot, I think overall the patch was a win for Kirby in that our top and high tier matchups got improved. :4metaknight::4corrin::4cloud::4sheik::4bayonetta: and :4zss: all got nerfs. Corrin and Cloud won't cheese us as hard as they used to and the Sheik and the ZSS matchups have become even closer. Probably to the point where they are at worst even. (I personally feel ZSS was even at worst pre-patch. As for Sheik, her throw game has been nerfed considerably, so our light weight will make avoiding nasty strings easier now. On top of that, her 50/50s seem to be gone in general so if we just jump at higher percents we should be good. Plus she got 3 point weight deduction. That plus Kirby being able to survive to rage better now makes killing her easier.) The Bayonetta matchup has likely improved too. The big one though was the nerf to Meta Knight who I feel was our worst matchup prior to this patch. (C'mon, he could kill us at like 20% off a dash attack). Him no longer having any true kill combos that wreck us starting at around 20% has probably made the matchup winnable now. This also makes choosing a secondary for Kirby easier as Kirby's other rough top and high tier matchups like :4luigi::rosalina:or :4sonic: are much easier to cover with other characters than Meta Knight and he was probably the only character who'd be a horrible matchup Kirby regardless of any buffs we could get. Now if Kirby were to just get his air speed and neutral enhanced, he could really go places.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Non Smash Bros topic but I didn't think it was possible, but my excitement for Kirby Planet Robobot has somehow managed to INCREASE. One of the sub games leaked on Nintendo's site was a game called "Kirby 3D Rumble" which was apparently some kind of score attack game. And now we have footage:

A think my fanboy dream of a full 3D Kirby game may be slowly inching further towards a reality! This actually looks just like one of canceled game ideas they tried for Kirby GCN. Hopefully we'll get another Captain Toad Treasure Tracker situation where the smaller game gets made into a full fledged one after good reception.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Non Smash Bros topic but I didn't think it was possible, but my excitement for Kirby Planet Robobot has somehow managed to INCREASE. One of the sub games leaked on Nintendo's site was a game called "Kirby 3D Rumble" which was apparently some kind of score attack game. And now we have footage:

A think my fanboy dream of a full 3D Kirby game may be slowly inching further towards a reality! This actually looks just like one of canceled game ideas they tried for Kirby GCN. Hopefully we'll get another Captain Toad Treasure Tracker situation where the smaller game gets made into a full fledged one after good reception.
There was actually a large discussion about 3D platformers in general in the Bandana Social thread (where most of the Bandana Dee supporters currently are, after the closure of the support threads). I know you would like to see BDee in Smash, I've seen you post about it on another site. On the topic of that, see 0:58 of this video:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
There was actually a large discussion about 3D platformers in general in the Bandana Social thread (where most of the Bandana Dee supporters currently are, after the closure of the support threads). I know you would like to see BDee in Smash, I've seen you post about it on another site. On the topic of that, see 0:58 of this video:
Ah, you're the Shadow Keebey from knowyourmeme aren't you? Yeah, I really wanted Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash. I mean he had the perfect moveset for it too. But I am glad to see that he's coming back for this game. I was worried that with the greater focus on Meta Knight he'd be the one taking a break but I am glad he's reprising his item providing role. Looks like the gang's all here!

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Ah, you're the Shadow Keebey from knowyourmeme aren't you? Yeah, I really wanted Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash. I mean he had the perfect moveset for it too. But I am glad to see that he's coming back for this game. I was worried that with the greater focus on Meta Knight he'd be the one taking a break but I am glad he's reprising his item providing role. Looks like the gang's all here!
Yes. Except it's spelled correctly there. I can't quite remember when I made the connection of you being there too. I also don't quite remember what of the same we commented on. Or did you just see my name on a Kirby-related image/post?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Yes. Except it's spelled correctly there. I can't quite remember when I made the connection of you being there too. I also don't quite remember what of the same we commented on. Or did you just see my name on a Kirby-related image/post?
Yeah, I've seen make you several posts on knowyourmeme, particularly one where you commented on the boxart for the upcoming Kirby game. BTW, I just followed on there. Want to follow back?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hey guys. We've previously had 2 Joint Match-Up Discussion and Crew Battles and have gained 2 summaries for now.

-2 for Mario:4mario:
-0 for Zero Suit Samus:4zss:

We're now going to have a JMU and Crew Battle for both Ness and Lucas, whichever comes first.
If you wanna join in, then come in the server and sign up for the next crew battle: https://discord.gg/0WVhq5ia3jORwh7Z

NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE A DISCORD ACCOUNT WITH YOUR VERIFIED EMAIL ADDRESS IN ORDER TO CONTINUE. THIS IS ENTIRELY TO PREVENT SPAM/RAIDS.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Well guys, we were right on the verge of witnessing a miracle. Out of nowhere, K.I.D Goggles, a :4sonic: main, actually busted out Kirby against Mr. R!! And...he actually did REALLY WELL! He won G1 with Kirby on Battlefield. Then he went Sonic next game on FD but got beat. He then went back to Kirby on T&C and got trounced because he screwed up perfect pivot in the beginning and couldn't reset neutral in time. But next game he got back on it and won with a D-Air Spike -> D-Smash on the same stage. We then had one hell of a close game 5. It got to a point where K.I.D was literally a grab away from winning. But at some point he put out a pivot F-Tilt instead of a grab and eventually got needled to Bouncing Fish'd.

But nevertheless, while it was heartbreaking that he didn't win, the match did confirm my suspicions about the matchup since the last patch. In all the Kirby vs. Shiek sets I watched prior to 1.1.5, the main thing I noticed that always screwed Kirbys over (aside from never trying to take the needles which KID actually managed to do but had them hit out of them rather quick. Seriously, why isn't there a set percent for losing a copy ability?) was that Sheik could always kill Kirby when she needed to with D-Throw Up Air. But now that that's gone our light weight has shifted from a disadvantage to truly an advantage against her. She still has stuff that kill setups that work but none off a grab. This had made utilizing rage much for more feasible than before. I honestly think this matchup is just about even now. And hopefully, K.I.D's performance with him against Mr. R is able to get people to view Kirby in better light. While Kirby does still have issues that need to be addressed (seriously Nintendo. Stop buffing the knockbock on our Smashes and fix our air speed and frame data), I still feel people underrate his strengths quite a bit.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Well guys, we were right on the verge of witnessing a miracle. Out of nowhere, K.I.D Goggles, a :4sonic: main, actually busted out Kirby against Mr. R!! And...he actually did REALLY WELL! He won G1 with Kirby on Battlefield. Then he went Sonic next game on FD but got beat. He then went back to Kirby on T&C and got trounced because he screwed up perfect pivot in the beginning and couldn't reset neutral in time. But next game he got back on it and won with a D-Air Spike -> D-Smash on the same stage. We then had one hell of a close game 5. It got to a point where K.I.D was literally a grab away from winning. But at some point he put out a pivot F-Tilt instead of a grab and eventually got needled to Bouncing Fish'd.

But nevertheless, while it was heartbreaking that he didn't win, the match did confirm my suspicions about the matchup since the last patch. In all the Kirby vs. Shiek sets I watched prior to 1.1.5, the main thing I noticed that always screwed Kirbys over (aside from never trying to take the needles which KID actually managed to do but had them hit out of them rather quick. Seriously, why isn't there a set percent for losing a copy ability?) was that Sheik could always kill Kirby when she needed to with D-Throw Up Air. But now that that's gone our light weight has shifted from a disadvantage to truly an advantage against her. She still has stuff that kill setups that work but none off a grab. This had made utilizing rage much for more feasible than before. I honestly think this matchup is just about even now. And hopefully, K.I.D's performance with him against Mr. R is able to get people to view Kirby in better light. While Kirby does still have issues that need to be addressed (seriously Nintendo. Stop buffing the knockbock on our Smashes and fix our air speed and frame data), I still feel people underrate his strengths quite a bit.
What tournament was this?

Also, we've had a first look at the ESP ability in Robobot, and witnessed the possible return of the Mirror ability.
ESP? More like Nesp.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
da K.I.D. da K.I.D. well played :D
I thought you'd mostly dropped Kirby for Sonic, but you like the Sheik MU better with Kirby?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Kirby Planet Robobot Topic Again!

So with ESP revealed and and Mirror confirmed to be returning, I want to post my predictions about which Smash Bros. characters will give you what powers. A '?' denotes one I think this is possible but I am not sure. An * denotes an ability not confirmed to be returning but would make sense with the character:

• Fire: :4mario::4luigi::4charizard::4bowser:(:4feroy:?)(:4falcon:?)
  • Rock : (:4charizard:?)
  • Spark: :4pikachu:(:4robinm:?)
  • Ice: :4lucas:
  • Beam: :4zss::4rob:(:4fox:?):4falco::4miigun::4samus:
  • Mirror: :4zelda:
  • Archer: :4pit::4darkpit:
  • Wheel: :4wario: (:4bowserjr:?) (:4sonic:?)
  • Bomb: :4duckhunt:(:4tlink:?) (:4bowserjr:?)
  • Doctor: :4drmario: (:4wiifit:?)
  • ESP: :4ness::4mewtwo: (:rosalina:?)
  • Ninja: :4greninja::4sheik:
  • Poison: (:4olimar:?)(:4ganondorf:?)
  • Leaf: :4villager: (:4alph:?)
  • Cutter: (:4megaman:?)
  • Sword: :4link::4marth::4lucina::4cloud::4myfriends::4shulk::4metaknight::4miisword:(:4feroy:?)
  • Sleep*: :4jigglypuff:
  • Jet : :4diddy:
  • Fighter: :4ryu::4littlemac::4miibrawl:(:4falcon:?)(:4dk:?) (:4lucario:?)
  • Mike : (:4dk:?)
  • Hammer: :4dedede:(:4gaw:?)
  • Parasol : :4peach:
  • Crash : :4bayonetta2:(? Couldn't think of a better spot) (:4lucario: ?)
  • Whip : (:4zss:?) (:4yoshi:?)
  • Circus : (:4gaw:?)(:4pacman:?)(:4wiifit:?)
  • UFO: Special :4kirby:
  • Smash Bros: :4kirby:

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Kirby Planet Robobot Topic Again!

So with ESP revealed and and Mirror confirmed to be returning, I want to post my predictions about which Smash Bros. characters will give you what powers. A '?' denotes one I think this is possible but I am not sure. An * denotes an ability not confirmed to be returning but would make sense with the character:

• Fire: :4mario::4luigi::4charizard::4bowser:(:4feroy:?)(:4falcon:?)
  • Rock : (:4charizard:?)
  • Spark: :4pikachu:(:4robinm:?)
  • Ice: :4lucas:
  • Beam: :4zss::4rob:(:4fox:?):4falco::4miigun::4samus:
  • Mirror: :4zelda:
  • Archer: :4pit::4darkpit:
  • Wheel: :4wario: (:4bowserjr:?) (:4sonic:?)
  • Bomb: :4duckhunt:(:4tlink:?) (:4bowserjr:?)
  • Doctor: :4drmario: (:4wiifit:?)
  • ESP: :4ness::4mewtwo: (:rosalina:?)
  • Ninja: :4greninja::4sheik:
  • Poison: (:4olimar:?)(:4ganondorf:?)
  • Leaf: :4villager: (:4alph:?)
  • Cutter: (:4megaman:?)
  • Sword: :4link::4marth::4lucina::4cloud::4myfriends::4shulk::4metaknight::4miisword:(:4feroy:?)
  • Sleep*: :4jigglypuff:
  • Jet : :4diddy:
  • Fighter: :4ryu::4littlemac::4miibrawl:(:4falcon:?)(:4dk:?) (:4lucario:?)
  • Mike : (:4dk:?)
  • Hammer: :4dedede:(:4gaw:?)
  • Parasol : :4peach:
  • Crash : :4bayonetta2:(? Couldn't think of a better spot) (:4lucario: ?)
  • Whip : (:4zss:?) (:4yoshi:?)
  • Circus : (:4gaw:?)(:4pacman:?)(:4wiifit:?)
  • UFO: Special :4kirby:
  • Smash Bros: :4kirby:
Although that would be a cool idea, I think they already stated that most amiibo will give a random ability.
But nonetheless, it would be cool if they all gave specifics.

Noey

Smash Rookie
Hell!. I'm new to Smasboards here and just wanted to drop by to say hello.
Been into the competitive Smash scene for a while and I've been observing this page constantly for any new and up coming Kirby info. : 3
Been playing Kirby since Brawl andI, one day, strive to be the best SSB4 Kirby in my area! : D

Noey

Smash Rookie
Does this prove of any use to you guys? I made this basic guide to help Kirby n00bs with throws and combo starters. Posted it on the Kirby Mains subreddit as well. ^ ^

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I like it! I think the font is the only thing I'd change, it's kind of ugly/hard to read.
Does Fthrow really combo into hammer ever?

Noey

Smash Rookie
I like it! I think the font is the only thing I'd change, it's kind of ugly/hard to read.
lol Sorry about the font. Was trying to find something that didn't look too bland. And for the most part, on mid-weights, an uncharged hammer can combo out of F-throw at 0%. : P

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
K.I.D Goggles' performance apparently has caused people to go insane. In the past two weeks I've seen two people try to say that Kirby is top 20 in the game.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
da K.I.D. da K.I.D. killed that set! Just watched it on youtube the whole thing was crazy hype! Straight up INSPIRING! I knew the outcome before the match but that means nothing when you have Kirby play this good xD
Here's the link if anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fgci08gUh8

K.I.D Goggles' performance apparently has caused people to go insane. In the past two weeks I've seen two people try to say that Kirby is top 20 in the game.
Lol not even close to top 20 but hopefully people see Kirby in a much better light now, fingers crossed that if a Kirby flood comes because of this that it's not a dair/smash attack/ stone happy flood (-_- )

TimG57867

Smash Ace
MORE KIRBY PLANET ROBOBOT DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!

So it looks like this game will be taking after Kirby Triple Deluxe in that one of the main characters is going to get hijacked. This time that character being Meta Knight. Meanwhile the company has an evil robo clone of Dedede who will attack Kirby on sight. Do I smell a recurring mini-boss? In any case I hope the second panel means this game will have even more cutscenes that TD and RTD.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
It actually does! :)
I doubt it ever does at low percents, though.
It's situational but if you can scare someone to DI into you (ex: grabbing someone close to the blastzone on the Smashville platform) you can do f-throw->double jump->hammer. It's a little frame tight so you have to buffer the jump into hammer. It works on Sheik from 63-77%. It can even frame trap a little sooner since air dodge isn't active until frame 3. Try it out in training mode! It's % dependent against the whole cast but the general rule of thumb is just above 60%. Never works on Luigi and Rosalina, though, so blah.

I have my L-button is set to special so it makes that option easier for me among other things~~~

Last edited:

Noey

Smash Rookie
It actually does! :)
I doubt it ever does at low percents, though.
It's situational but if you can scare someone to DI into you (ex: grabbing someone close to the blastzone on the Smashville platform) you can do f-throw->double jump->hammer. It's a little frame tight so you have to buffer the jump into hammer. It works on Sheik from 63-77%. It can even frame trap a little sooner since air dodge isn't active until frame 3. Try it out in training mode! It's % dependent against the whole cast but the general rule of thumb is just above 60%. Never works on Luigi and Rosalina, though, so blah.

I have my L-button is set to special so it makes that option easier for me among other things~~~
Well....thanks for the heads up Mike! Glad you were able to help make my chart seem a bit more....accurate while also spreading some of that great Kirby knowledge! :D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sorry i didnt win that set guys... i shoulda had it.

Also, shourouts to mike for playing out a mirror image my mr r set with void at kkon. Just as awesome to watch, with an equally heart breaking ending.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Sorry i didnt win that set guys... i shoulda had it.

Also, shourouts to mike for playing out a mirror image my mr r set with void at kkon. Just as awesome to watch, with an equally heart breaking ending.
Don't sweat brother. You did well enough to make people believe. Say I do have a question though. Did you go Sonic game 2 just to feel the waters or were you afraid of Mr. R's counterpick?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Well fd is sonics best stage and since i was getting so many kills off kirbys up throw i figured sonic would be a better choice

Top Bottom