• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Peach, ness, zss, Mario, mii gunner, ryu/DDD.

We did pools before going to bracket but those were all the characters I played against.

The rob matchup is not fun btw :(
I beg to differ I really enjoy the rob matchup personally. They're always exciting to me, the rob match i played at my local a whIle ago was pretty intense imo.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Who was it that discovered u-tilt to d-air? I knew I saw you guys discussing it a while back. I didn't think it would actually be a thing until Deven told me that it might actually work. I owe the credit to you guys. I haven't done my percentages on the whole cast yet but I like where this might go. So far, I've only worked on adjusting my combo on Fox to maximize damage using u-tilt>d-air because it works amazingly and consistently well! I'll try to post a set where I used it.

Against Luigi, when he's above you u-tilt the crap out of him. Don't even jump for an u-air at low percents. A well spaced u-tilt beats ALL his landing attacks. N-air is moderately safe on shield and even safer against Luigi if you land and retreat with it. Duck under fireballs as a mix up since it's dangerous if he starts power shielding your d-tilt. Also, gimp gimp gimp. It's a must. If we still had quick rock it would be EASIER! >.>

I fell asleep for 20 minutes while watching EVO and I ended up sleeping through RRR's set. -.-
I was SO hype when Numbers beat Nakat, though!!

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Who was it that discovered u-tilt to d-air? I knew I saw you guys discussing it a while back. I didn't think it would actually be a thing until Deven told me that it might actually work. I owe the credit to you guys. I haven't done my percentages on the whole cast yet but I like where this might go. So far, I've only worked on adjusting my combo on Fox to maximize damage using u-tilt>d-air because it works amazingly and consistently well! I'll try to post a set where I used it.

Against Luigi, when he's above you u-tilt the crap out of him. Don't even jump for an u-air at low percents. A well spaced u-tilt beats ALL his landing attacks. N-air is moderately safe on shield and even safer against Luigi if you land and retreat with it. Duck under fireballs as a mix up since it's dangerous if he starts power shielding your d-tilt. Also, gimp gimp gimp. It's a must. If we still had quick rock it would be EASIER! >.>

I fell asleep for 20 minutes while watching EVO and I ended up sleeping through RRR's set. -.-
Wait, you wren't at EVO? Since if you wren't, THAT explains why Kirby didn't do that well at EVO.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

It was @ SapphSabre777 SapphSabre777 who found the u -tilt d-air.

He found it about a month ago but it got drowned, but I freaked outs about it to him when he told me so he posted it again. Awesome find.

Who does numbers play?

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684

Yeah, I ended up finding that combo. I've also been trying to put a preliminary list as to what %s do and do not work...It's getting there, and I'll let you guys know when it is finished (I'll post the chart, in other words). Hopefully college stuff doesn't avert me from this for too long.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Mi]{e]{irbY vs Dugan
:kirby: vs :fox:

Hopefully, the link works. I started doing it (u-tilt>d-air) at game 2 because I had to look into my notepad to remind myself what to do at what percents.
hahaha. I actually counted the number of uptilts and which directions they were on that replay you sent me, before deleting it. It's like 5 sweetspot, then alternate sour/sweet a couple times, and then Dair and stuff. If this really works regardless of DI, this is like, Brawl Pikachu vs Fox levels of counterpick.
Also lol at the end of first game. I can call what's going to happen before it happens in a lot of this set so far. "If he stands on the edge, he's going to get jumping inhale Kirbycided" and then there it was!
The problems with the uptilt/dair combos: 1. Rage messes it up (going to require stupid amounts of labbing to account for how to do it with varying percents of rage) and 2. It's actually hard to uptilt Foxes that learn the matchup and know to avoid Uptilt at all costs. Maybe that's where Pivot Uptilts come in handy :bee:? I gotta practice that more, I've been using Cstick to Attack and am decent at pivots by now.

edit: I made a post in the competitive subforum and took the timestamps of some of the uptilt combos: 2:15, 2:58, 7:25 (failed to walk forward), 8:15, 9:46, 11:05

Last edited:

Imber

Smash Cadet
@ MikeKirby MikeKirby You didn't want to share this one? You're the hero we needed at Evo, man. Instead we had to watch guys like Capt. Awesum cheese their way into top 32.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Oh, haha! I don't like to time people out but I got sent into losers by the same Sonic via timeout and I wanted vengeance. ^__^"

I really wanted to go to EVO. :(

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
To be honest...I forgot to link this to you when I was finished with it, but it was 11:00 PM and I was tired. Better get used to this (its the college norm for me. XD).

Anyways, this is a preliminary list of the percentages that work, the ability to counter-attack, etc., for sourspot U-Tilt to D-Air, based on an opponent that does not DI (I have explained this a lot) and without staleness (staleness allows us to combo at bigger %s), otherwise known as Training mode. Again, it is a preliminary list, and I'd be more than happy to constantly update it for better accuracy. This is what I found, in a chart form. Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
1st off @ MikeKirby MikeKirby please change your name to MikeNoChill because dear lord you had no chill in that match XD
2nd is using landing p.pivot utilts with kirby viable or does it not do much for him since his utilts cover his back and the weak hit in front basically combos into other utilts?

Last edited:

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
is using landing p.pivot utilts with kirby viable or does it not do much for him since his utilts cover his back and the weak hit in front basically combos into other utilts?
Don't you think that U-tilt is a great move? Just imagine the position you'd be in if you landed a single U-tilt. Got it? Good. Now imagine if you could extend that to a range around Kirby. That's what pivot U-tilts do.

I've know a few ways I could really improve my game with pivoted U-tilts, but I can't consistently pull them off enough to do so. Need more practice with pivots.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's just a shame because if you mess up the input for pivot uptilts, you get a dash attack, and Kirby's is slow and highly punishable. The frame perfect execution and risk vs reward are what kept me from mastering this as soon as I should have.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Don't you think that U-tilt is a great move? Just imagine the position you'd be in if you landed a single U-tilt. Got it? Good. Now imagine if you could extend that to a range around Kirby. That's what pivot U-tilts do.

I've know a few ways I could really improve my game with pivoted U-tilts, but I can't consistently pull them off enough to do so. Need more practice with pivots.
I understand grounded pivot utilts...There was a Shiek combo tutorial that went up recently that talked about extending her combos when landing by throwing in ppivot utilts and I was curious if it would be beneficial for Kirby in any way.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Well yeah, I was saying how neat it would be extend the range of U-tilt... which is exactly what a pivot does. We can use it to extend combos: say Nair -> pivot U-tilt instead of Nair -> dash grab. Also it could make for a neat trap since Kirby can effectively cover a good space in front of him now. If you're chasing someone after a D-throw and they're trying to get back to the stage, pivoting gives you a safe answer if they try to stay within range. U-tilt if they dodge, shield -> U-tilt/B-air if they attack.

It's another option that we have, and having more options is always beneficial. But I keep putting off learning the timing on the pivots because I fear for the safety of my controller...

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, I was saying how neat it would be extend the range of U-tilt... which is exactly what a pivot does. We can use it to extend combos: say Nair -> pivot U-tilt instead of Nair -> dash grab. Also it could make for a neat trap since Kirby can effectively cover a good space in front of him now. If you're chasing someone after a D-throw and they're trying to get back to the stage, pivoting gives you a safe answer if they try to stay within range. U-tilt if they dodge, shield -> U-tilt/B-air if they attack.

It's another option that we have, and having more options is always beneficial. But I keep putting off learning the timing on the pivots because I fear for the safety of my controller...
That makes more sense. I had read it as doing the basic turn around utilts... my bad xP
I agree though. Would it be the normal shop nair though or is it a fast fall?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
To be honest...I forgot to link this to you when I was finished with it, but it was 11:00 PM and I was tired. Better get used to this (its the college norm for me. XD).

Anyways, this is a preliminary list of the percentages that work, the ability to counter-attack, etc., for sourspot U-Tilt to D-Air, based on an opponent that does not DI (I have explained this a lot) and without staleness (staleness allows us to combo at bigger %s), otherwise known as Training mode. Again, it is a preliminary list, and I'd be more than happy to constantly update it for better accuracy. This is what I found, in a chart form. Hope you guys enjoy!
I feel like Sheik's starting percentages are a bit off. I was able to confirm a combo starting at 47% in training mode. I was also practicing and playing around with a Sheik CPU and I THINK I might be able to piece my combo together to lead to an u-tilt>d-air. We'll see. :bee:

---------------------------------

Also, u-tilt is Kirby's best move. Perfect pivoting makes it even better but like Asidoh said, the result of a mistake is what kind of turned me off to not learn it as soon as I should have. I still have to try to master it.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I mean that's true and the risk is pretty bad but look at Vinnie or Mr.R, it's a huge risk for then to be using Shieks reverse needle cancel as often as they do since it can so easily be misinput as a side b but it sets them apart significantly from other shieks.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
A little drill Ive been doing to get my PP tilts down is to start from one edge of Battlefield, PP Utilt (or whatever move you want) across the stage and go back. I do this until I can do 5 perfect reps (without dash attack) in each direction, each successful rep doesnt have to be in a row. Ive seen good results in the last week to where now I can almost do them consistently as fast as the IASA allows me to move. Maybe you guys have a better way to practice, but Ill just say thats what works best for me and doesnt take that long, usually about 30 mins. When it gets a bit less challenging, I throw in maybe some autocancelled shff Uairs or some HUP cancels into PP Utilts. Or even get the cpu there and practice hitting them with falling Nair into PP Utilt.

Im now trying to work on Flash Step/Foxtrot Cancel/Dance Trot (Idk what most people call them now , I knew them as Flash Stepping in Brawl) into PP tilts, those seem to have a lot of potential as the meta advances. That into turn around Dtilt is the hardest one but seems the most useful, looks like a Dtilt out of run frame perfectly.

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I feel like Sheik's starting percentages are a bit off. I was able to confirm a combo starting at 47% in training mode. I was also practicing and playing around with a Sheik CPU and I THINK I might be able to piece my combo together to lead to an u-tilt>d-air. We'll see. :bee:
Yeah, it's "preliminary" for a reason. I'm sure that the others will be able to really get detailed results and such. For any little mistake (be it by 1% to a whole lot of %), you may proceed to run that U-Tilt > D-Air combo figuratively towards me. XD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I mean that's true and the risk is pretty bad but look at Vinnie or Mr.R, it's a huge risk for then to be using Shieks reverse needle cancel as often as they do since it can so easily be misinput as a side b but it sets them apart significantly from other shieks.
To be fair, I think that's much easier than pivots. I never mess that up with sheikirby.

http://challonge.com/smash4gu72115 streams up

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
PPs seem impossible to do with a pro controller tbh.
Not to be taken in a douchey way but I do them all the time on my pro controller... it takes practice though. Once you get them down though it's surprisingly easy. I don't recommend slowing down the speed in training to do it though because why get used to one timing if you want to know a completely different one. Izaw's tutorial on it helped a lot though

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I wish Kirby's DT was faster, it'd turn him into a monster. Like, Kirby with a fast DT would be high tier, even with customs off.

Sakurai pls buff

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Marth is my worst enemy not named sonic :urg: I don't know what to do against that sword. Also he dolphin slashes through jabs lol

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I got 5th of 56, better than I've done in a while. I learned: not having upper cutter is awful. You lose out on so much damage over the course of the game, going offstage is risky, recovering is terrifying, and your KO potential is lower. I learned not to let ness take you to omega battlefield o_O those stagespikes out of nowhere were depressing. Also, I think my match against dedede showed what I've always said; he basically has three stocks to your two. Even if kirby technically has the advantage a lot of the time because of superior mobility and frame data, all dedede has to do is live long and prosper. It's terrifying.
I think I played pretty well against Ness despite the loss, but I played like crap against marth. I know I need to bait marth and punish because we can't outrange or outspeed him, but it's hard. I'm glad I get to watch the matches again later, yay streams!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If you want to instill fear into Marth players to help the MU slightly, use Shield Breaker and get a 10% kill with Giant Hammer. Now they know shielding against custom Kirby is death.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
But "customs will be off after evo" didn't you know? :(
people are johns

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
People played vanilla Kirby before they played customs Kirby. Don't you think we already ARE good with him? I highly doubt that customs are going to be banned from now on. Evo was just fine with them on and even the game breaking characters like Custom DK didn't make it to the top 32. People are just overreacting to them because they can't adapt.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
People played vanilla Kirby before they played customs Kirby. Don't you think we already ARE good with him? I highly doubt that customs are going to be banned from now on. Evo was just fine with them on and even the game breaking characters like Custom DK didn't make it to the top 32. People are just overreacting to them because they can't adapt.
Not saying that like people here aren't skilled with Kirby but it's like with the Diddy nerf in a way. There are potentially a good amount of people who picked up custom Kirby to learn a matchup but might drop him now because he has less obvious options. I don't doubt anyone on the boards prowess with Kirby but if customs were to be banned from this point for whatever reason it takes away a couple of options and forces us to just get better at our vanilla Kirby skills so we can continue to place well and present a threat, all be it a pink puff ball. That was all I meant to say.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Does anyone have a list of who Kirby can get a guaranteed ledge trump bair/uair on? Would be one of the more helpful things to know now that customs are going away. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom