• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Oh, we can do it. Basically, Flare Blade has effectively no (or very nearly no) lag. If you use it facing the edge while the opponent is offstage/on the ledge, they're forced to either eat the Flare Blade (bad idea), or take another option to get on stage. Should they choose to go above, you can usmash. If they go behind, you can hit them with a pivot fsmash.

Basically, it's a great trap/bait tool.
Sweet! I'll check it out some time, since I was training to learn how to use each Neutral B that is viable.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://challonge.com/HavenshineSmashInvitational I did okayish. Lost to 1st and 4th place. One lost set got streamed, other got saved on my wiiu.
Also I played the local Sonic champ in a crew battle and that matchup is literally impossible if Sonic plays it right, sorry to say. :( Sonic just resets to neutral constantly, and has massive advantages in neutral.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
http://challonge.com/HavenshineSmashInvitational I did okayish. Lost to 1st and 4th place. One lost set got streamed, other got saved on my wiiu.
Also I played the local Sonic champ in a crew battle and that matchup is literally impossible if Sonic plays it right, sorry to say. :( Sonic just resets to neutral constantly, and has massive advantages in neutral.
Good job!

Though that matchup is dumb, doesn't MikeKirby have vs Sonic tricks he uses?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I only saw him vs a sonic once in memory, he used jab to great effect. Problem is holding out jab doesn't always clash with spindash, it loses if the ball happens to hit you between jabs. Even if they clash, it's not a frame advantage for kirby.
If it's possible to consistently gimp sonic, I can rethink the matchup. I don't think it is though, his recovery isn't always predictable.
And if your reaction time is consistently perfect, then yeah the matchup is doable.But you can say that for any matchup with any characters, and that's just not how they really play out.

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I played mike at collision 13

We did like 10 games of kirby dittoes in friendlies and i think i MAYBE won 1 game.

We played in bracket of the tournament and i solidly 2-0d him.
Ive been sayingnthat match is horrible since the 3ds. Sonic can punish any of kirbys attacks, has ways to attack kirby without getting punished, and effectively never has to approach because kirby flat out cant keep up with sonics movement. From what ive seen, that matchup is one of the most 1 sided matchups in the game. Kirby cant catch sonic ever and as soon as he gets the smallest lead he can force kirby to approach and then punish him for it and extend the lead

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
So it could be said this is Kirby's toughest MU?
It's a tough one, but probably not the worst. I think Yoshi is tougher: between those quick, gigantic hitboxes and the ability to circle camp you on FD of all places, Yoshi can be a nightmare. Even with Upper Cutter, if you miss a punish in the air, you'll take some heavy damage.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
imo Kirby's worst MUs are Yoshi, Sonic, Toon Link, and Luigi (35:65 or 30:70 ratios)

Sonic is probably unwinnable if he has Hammer Spin Dash. A Pikachu got timed out on Battlefield by Sonic with HSD at yesterday's Smash Attack so you can imagine how easy it would be to time out Kirby.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Shouldn't Pikachu be literally unwinnable on paper because he can just circle camp us with Quick Attack? Maybe it's doable on smaller stages like Delfino, though.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Shouldn't Pikachu be literally unwinnable on paper because he can just circle camp us with Quick Attack? Maybe it's doable on smaller stages like Delfino, though.
Pikachu's kinda like Fox. Once they have a sizable lead, they can try to camp us out (to an effective degree), but unlike Yoshi they can't control space through sheer mobility and hitboxes. QA/Fox Illusion gives you some leeway, so if you get the right reads (which can still be an effort), you can get in and hopefully deal enough damage to break the lead.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I dont think TL is actually too much trouble so its unlikely hes 35:65 but we dont have any 30:70, so few characters would even have 1 MU like that, none of them are unwinnable, but some harder then others.

As for Pika, yea hes actually not the most difficult, mainly his projectiles, imo, are what makes this hard, TJ is so annoying, I can handle QA mainly cause its not the most dangerous thing, but TJis really annoying, and sometimes you have to mix-up how you deal with them, so you dont get predictable.
Sometimes cancel em with your ariels, shield, jump and even sometimes just take it head on.
Now obviously his main KO moves onstage are Usmash and Fsmash, and he may have a slightly harder time edge guarding us then most others.
So avoid those KO moves and expect them at all costs because if your at rediculously high %s, especially as Kirby soon they will go for Throw KOs even if they are bad at that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
My main training partner plays pika, and i actually think that matchup is close to even.

Sometimes you just gotta throw out big hitboxes to stuff the quick attacks. If you read the movement well eenough you can kill him at 100 with up or f smash or at 80 with hammer bash. Or even nairs, which wont kill but will beat it and possibly get follow ups too

Pluskirby fights pika very well at boxing range with jab d tilt and f tilt.d tilt to f smash is very consistent on pika and can kill as low as 75 depending on stage positioning

Pika is stupidly good but a lot of people dontfight him enough to be able to find the small holes in his game.

Also takingnhis power is really effective sometimes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yoshi is really really bad. But if you play slow enough and patirnt enough, you can focus on getting underneath him and up tilts stuff all of his moves when hes coming in from abpve, unless he covers himself with an egg.

The difference between yoshi and sonic is that against yoshi, if youre a better player you'll still win easily. Against sonic,even if youre far better than him, its still going to be stupidly difficult

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I often throw out Nairs against Pikachu, in the hopes of catching quick attack. It's pretty safe.
Throwing Nairs (or literally anything) out against Sonic, in the hopes of catching spindash, will get you punished by a good Sonic. Every time. The only way to beat him is to do nothing and then react perfectly to whatever he does. If you try to approach him, he can just run away, whether you're in the ground or air. Grounded approach, he can spindash over you to the other side of the stage. Aerial approach, he can just run away with fastest-in-game runspeed. He dictates the pace of the match 100% of the time.
It wouldn't be too bad, if not for the fact that his weight/fall speed/character size makes him very difficult to get long combos on... especially when Spring gets him out of danger consistently.

Yoshi's also a character. The airspeed makes the matchup ridiculous, but besides that, it's not too bad. You definitely do have to play patient. I managed to beat a good Yoshi (apparently very good, everybody was surprised) this Saturday, I lost game 1, but then I think I got lucky/he started playing very impatiently and letting me hit him for free. I think if he plays the MU smarter he'll probably win next time.

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
This may sound very cheap, but it is possible to inhale yoshi before he spikes you depending on where he is. I've done it countless times and yoshi being yoshi is easily gimped, but you know, but nobody wants to be that one cheap kirby lol I'm surely gonna use kirbycide to my advantage though cheap or not.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
There's no such thing as "cheap" in competition. Especially when you're using a low tier character o_o
If they fall for it it's their fault. I remember one time there were "clans" or something on smashboards, and I tried out for one, and you had to 1v1 some dude so he could see how good you are, and I kept winning with Kirbycides, and he said I was basically disqualified because I didn't play "for real" loool

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
There's no such thing as "cheap" in competition. Especially when you're using a low tier character o_o
If they fall for it it's their fault. I remember one time there were "clans" or something on smashboards, and I tried out for one, and you had to 1v1 some dude so he could see how good you are, and I kept winning with Kirbycides, and he said I was basically disqualified because I didn't play "for real" loool
lol i know it's not cheap to me though more of a trap card lol

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm going into a big regional for NorCal and I am in a pool with another Kirby player. I'm not very big in the ditto and need some help with the matchup... Can anyone help?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Hey guys, I'm going into a big regional for NorCal and I am in a pool with another Kirby player. I'm not very big in the ditto and need some help with the matchup... Can anyone help?
You know how everybody says that, while Kirby is good at making people approach him, it ultimately doesn't matter because Kirby doesn't have the best approach options himself? Well in the ditto you don't have to worry about having poor approach options!

...Well, okay, you do, but it isn't nearly as bad because your opponent has literally the same weaknesses that you do. Kirby can rack up some early damage, but after that it's mostly just playing safe and getting a few hits, or going a bit aggressive and throwing out safe attacks from the right distance, depending on how you play.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
You know how everybody says that, while Kirby is good at making people approach him, it ultimately doesn't matter because Kirby doesn't have the best approach options himself? Well in the ditto you don't have to worry about having poor approach options!

...Well, okay, you do, but it isn't nearly as bad because your opponent has literally the same weaknesses that you do. Kirby can rack up some early damage, but after that it's mostly just playing safe and getting a few hits, or going a bit aggressive and throwing out safe attacks from the right distance, depending on how you play.
Yeah, I figured in the ditto that I'm probably gonna play safe until they slip up. I'm a pretty aggressive player by nature so it's gonna be hard to switch up the pace.

Does anyone want to add me and we can do some dittos?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Decided to do some random labbing in vanilla Smash 4 'cause I finally updated. I can easily say that Burying Stone is the best variation out of the three. Extends Kirby's combos and punish game a ton, but more info on that later~

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'll have to try it next week. Is it viable against Sonic? v_v
That matchup is ugh.
On the other hand, I think Luigi is totally manageable, in our favor even... as long as you don't get grabbed above like 80% because dthrow->cyclone is guaranteed as **** and a totally disgusting kill option ugh ugh. His low traction makes our moves so much safer on block though.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
This may sound very cheap, but it is possible to inhale yoshi before he spikes you depending on where he is. I've done it countless times and yoshi being yoshi is easily gimped, but you know, but nobody wants to be that one cheap kirby lol I'm surely gonna use kirbycide to my advantage though cheap or not.
Kirbycide is definitely less "cheap" than egg lay. If a Yoshi's telling you that, they should probably git gud.

Did Kirby get buffed like crazy in the last patch? I've been fighting Kirby after Kirby the past couple days and getting ruined on FG. I never really played against him before and i just can't get anything started. Might have to pick him up actually.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Kirbycide is definitely less "cheap" than egg lay. If a Yoshi's telling you that, they should probably git gud.

Did Kirby get buffed like crazy in the last patch? I've been fighting Kirby after Kirby the past couple days and getting ruined on FG. I never really played against him before and i just can't get anything started. Might have to pick him up actually.
He didn't get any notable changes in the 1.0.8 patch; however, Kirby had a lot of buffs within the 1.0.6 patch, and he is just now getting experimented and discovered. A lot of notable people on the Boards, Ladder, and the competitive scene are commonly calling Kirby one of the most underlooked and underrated characters in the game right now (Skarfelt, ZeRo, are but some of the names).

Granted, we have problems with what we have been given, but the things we do have can overwhelm and open up a lot of things, for a lack of better words. Let's just hope some representation comes up sooner or later (blame the economy). ^^;

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This may sound very cheap, but it is possible to inhale yoshi before he spikes you depending on where he is.
It's risky because Yoshi's F-air has a big hitbox which means he should probably be beating out any Inhale. Also if Inhale lands on the same frame as Yoshi's F-air, Kirby will get spiked and Yoshi will take 5% and not get inhaled. It can still be worth it to get a gimp, just saying that it carries some risk with it.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Yo where my boyz Triple R and MikeKirby @? I'm back kids :kirby: (Also hi to everyone else! LOL)

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Hey is stone cancel a thing? I feel like it could totally be a thing, for instance you use stone on an off ledge opponent to scare them into air dodging and you cancel it to get a dair and possible kill!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Not really, by the time the airdodge is over/you're transformed back, they'll be able to jump out of the way most likely.
The closest I've done is (more than once, including in tournaments) force someone to airdodge very low, when I try to edgeguard them with stone very deep, and then they can't recover because they're too low! For example vs luigi.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I agree that grounding ston is the best now. If you do it from high enough, they cant punish the added start up time, and its almost completly safe on block and whiff, since changing back is so quick that you can usually nair, bair, airdodge or jump away from all their attempts to punish you.

My only issue is that i think i read som where that it only takes double the amt of damage that the stone does in order to break it, which makes it really REALLy easy for people to break the rock with attacks

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Eyyyyy Triple R I haven't talked to you in, like, foreeeeeever bruh. LOL. After being peer pressured by some choice members of IL I've finally decided to play Kirby in this game.

Yo there a Skype chat for all the Kirb players anyone?

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Hello @ Kappy Kappy , unfortunately we've collectively decided that having a Skype chat for the Kirby players would kill any discussion that happens on the boards. i'd still like it tho

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Hello fellow Kirby mains
I have recently picked up Kirby as my 6th main and so far and I'm having fun using him. Did a For Glory FFA session with Kirby that lasted about 2 hour and I have saved 17 replays. Definetly got some Hammer kills. I even KOed a Link player at about 16% from the right edge of Omega Kalos with a fully charged Hammer and I got some early KOs with his Dair and Up B spike. Got a funny KO using his Down B. A Roy player countered an attack and then I attacked from above. Pretty funny

Last edited:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Oh that's too bad. :( I like it more for the social aspect since that's what the Kirby Skype chat was primarily used for in the Brawl days, but I can see where the collective mindset comes from. LOL.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I wonder if the Skype question is worth revisiting. I'm a bit too newb to this board to know for sure if Skype kills board postings or whether it can stimulate them. This board is already slow; could it actually help?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be posting on here, since I havn't posted on this thread before, but it probably lowers activity since everybody would just post "Skype meeting at [Time]" on the forum and not post on the actual thread, so it would lower acitivty on this thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom