• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
So kirby was basically not affected? thats fine, but I think some of the higher rated characters should have been like Pika

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
So kirby was basically not affected? thats fine, but I think some of the higher rated characters should have been like Pika
We lost the "Quickstone" tech, likely due to the change in the engine preventing sliding on platforms for the reasons.

F-Smash has two nerfs, Upwards-angled F-Smash does 1% less, and F-Smash has a good bit more endlag.

We got nerfed as of right now, but the changes aren't terrible at all. We can live through the nerfs and still use the same moves, 'cept Quickstone since that's dead. A bit more time will tell us more of the story.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So I'm just taking that one guy's word that Fsmash Upangled Sourspot does 1% less damage, and that was literally the only Kirby change? ._.

Bthrow->Bair works on Roy until 5% (5 being the last percent it works, you get sparks everytime at 6%)
Bthrow->Bair works on Lucas until 24% (holy crap that means we can do it twice for easy 40+ damage, if you land two grabs)
Bthrow->Bair doesn't work on Ryu
F-Smash has a good bit more endlag.
But I just tested and it seems the same!

Kirby's fully charged Flare Blade is tied for the single most damaging move in the game now! :D

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
So I'm just taking that one guy's word that Fsmash Upangled Sourspot does 1% less damage, and that was literally the only Kirby change? ._.

Bthrow->Bair works on Roy until 5% (5 being the last percent it works, you get sparks everytime at 6%)
Bthrow->Bair works on Lucas until 24% (holy crap that means we can do it twice for easy 40+ damage, if you land two grabs)
Bthrow->Bair doesn't work on Ryu

But I just tested and it seems the same!

Kirby's fully charged Flare Blade is tied for the single most damaging move in the game now! :D
Oh, if that's the case on the endlag, then woooooooo! Kind of a silly change to only change the sourspot.

EDIT: Tested out B-Throw to U-Air for the three DLC characters. Works for none of them. =/

Last edited:

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I'm in tears :( Quickstone will be sorely missed.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
ugggggggh i cant wait to get my new 3ds tomorrow for my birthday i've been itching to play!

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
RIP Quickstone even though I could never do it successfully. The sourspot nerf on F-Smash is such a random change. I wonder if there's more to it. Maybe the sweetspot lasts longer?

I was kind of hoping Kirby's Up Throw would get the same kind of KO power as Charizard's got, but oh well. :(

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
To be completely honest, I think it's hilarious that the only change Kirby got was the sourspot on a move that specifically has to be angled up. Quick Stone will be sorely missed, though...

...So Grounding Stone or Meteor Stone?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That's actually a good point, quickstone was one reason stone seemed better than the others. Still though, I mostly used stone offstage and default stone has the best reward:safety ratio there in my eyes.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The damage value of that particular sourspot was changed probably because it didn't match the pattern. The sweetspot hitboxes, from least damaging to most damaging, deal 14%, 15%, and 16%. However, before the latest update, the sourspot hitboxes dealt 10%, 11%, and 13%.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Quickrock was freaking removed...sigh, shoulda read this thread first, i found out the hard way lol

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I swear I go to Training Mode and my values for the U-Tilts are 4% and 5%. When I go into Smash (i.e. 3 stock and such), I use it enough times and then I start getting 2%, 3%, and 4%...and Fox grabs me for 10% D-Throw, and no changes have been made. Am I going senile, or has the CPU acquired an unfair advantage? I'm about to go crazy in delusion.

EDIT: This was a feature that was in the game in the first place, and I was able to do U-Tilt combos with ease and such...but some things hit harder than they should, and softer. I am starting to think the engine has been changed to quicken stale and freshness, but I'm not entirely sure.

Re-Edit: Just tested this myself, had to find and get out my dusty Smash 3DS. Staleness is the same. I'm just too accustomed to practice. Oh the woes of being homestuck.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
To be completely honest, I think it's hilarious that the only change Kirby got was the sourspot on a move that specifically has to be angled up. Quick Stone will be sorely missed, though...

...So Grounding Stone or Meteor Stone?
Meteor Stone for the sick plays. I always use it after a ledge trump, for a suprise early kill, and works most of the time.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
The way I see it, as far as the Stones are concerned...

*Normal Stone, with Quick Stone gone, is a middle ground in terms of safety and usefulness. It has some good offstage setups and does a good job of breaking shields (some Kirby's go for this, from what I hear).
*Meteor Stone we at least need for Villager, obviously it meteors and is super powerful. Mega unsafe.
*Grounding Stone does... things, I think, but more importantly it sets up for a lock after a footstool. Meaning we can follow up with things like Hammer Bash, Down Air -> Upper Cuter, and a lot of other cool stuff. Also apparently works well with Ice Breath?

Sound about right, or am I forgetting anything?

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Because I love Kirby's duck, I decided to go ahead and do some research on the moves Kirby can duck against the new DLC characters. Here are my findings:

Lucas: Absolutely nothing.
Roy: U-Tilt (when facing towards Kirby), U-Smash, Grab, Dash Grab
Ryu: Jab (both versions), F-Tilt (quick button version), U-Tilt (both versions), F-Smash, all Grabs (be careful of Pivot Grab, a bit inconsistent), Hadouken (all versions), Shoryuken (all versions), Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (all versions), Focus Attack

Also, we can get out of harm's way from D-Tilt (weak) to Shoryuken by DI-ing down and away, it seems. It is probably because of ducking > Shoryuken. I may need more testing on this, though.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Seeing if I can link any moves with hadoken for Kirby. Down tilt and then the 'Shakunatsu Hadoken' (Firey one) seems to link. You can even use it after preforming one of Kirby's throws if you input the command right before you toss them away.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
:kirby:Happy Birthday to ME! I Love Maining Kirby! I Didn't Get A New 3DS! UN-FOUR-TUN-ATLEY!:kirby:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Okay, Flare Blade is wayyy more useful than it seems. That **** is nigh-unpunishable. It has almost zero (if not zero) endlag. Both playing as Kirby and in Roy dittos, I don't think I've seen a punish on it.

Actually, earlier someone killed me by using Flare Blade then immediately F-Smashing me when I went to punish. It's pretty damn good. Also, edgeguarding.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Greetings all! Been using Kirby since the Wii U release of Smash (and even earlier if you count Brawl and P:M) but I've been too lazy to come to this board until now. If I ever get around to going to tournaments I can see myself using Kirby a lot along with R.O.B. and MK and maybe D3 and Ike. I simply can't dismiss Kirby as a viable option with his easy combos and ducking under so many attacks (namely ones from ZSS).

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Greetings all! Been using Kirby since the Wii U release of Smash (and even earlier if you count Brawl and P:M) but I've been too lazy to come to this board until now. If I ever get around to going to tournaments I can see myself using Kirby a lot along with R.O.B. and MK and maybe D3 and Ike. I simply can't dismiss Kirby as a viable option with his easy combos and ducking under so many attacks (namely ones from ZSS).
Greetings to you too and good luck to you! I think Meta Knight is a fun character as well (haven't been too invested, but he is a ferocious little bugger). Actually, that brings up a topic on possible secondaries...I should probably post a question like that soon.

And don't forget to not dismiss the edgeguarding abilities of Kirby, but I bet you already knew that with Meta Knight. Anyways, I'm going to bed, since it is getting late. Glad to be your acquaintance, and I hope you enjoy having Kirby as at least a pocket main. ^^

SONICbr

Smash Rookie
Hi all.
I decided to pick up Kirby as my main in Smash Wii U after many unsuccessful attempts with other characters. I hope that I can learn a thing or two from the many experienced players on this site. I rarely have any real people to play smash with and I have a lot of bad habits when I play as Kirby (or any other character for that matter). My ultimate goal is to at least be able to hold my own against good players and maybe someday be a decent smash player and Kirby main.

Thanks for reading.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Because I love Kirby's duck, I decided to go ahead and do some research on the moves Kirby can duck against the new DLC characters. Here are my findings:

Lucas: Absolutely nothing.
Roy: U-Tilt (when facing towards Kirby), U-Smash, Grab, Dash Grab
Ryu: Jab (both versions), F-Tilt (quick button version), U-Tilt (both versions), F-Smash, all Grabs (be careful of Pivot Grab, a bit inconsistent), Hadouken (all versions), Shoryuken (all versions), Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (all versions), Focus Attack

Also, we can get out of harm's way from D-Tilt (weak) to Shoryuken by DI-ing down and away, it seems. It is probably because of ducking > Shoryuken. I may need more testing on this, though.
Grab can grab Kirby out of any of his crouching tall frames (where he looks around). With Ftilt, the hard version also whiffs if kirby is right next to Ryu. Usmash hits,but ducking does allow Kirby to evade the prtion of the attack that reaches furthest -- in other words, it doesnt work if kirby is at the sidemost edge of its hitbox. Its still worth ducking if youre not in Ryu's face for that.

Also, both Uair and Bair whiff on ducking Kirby, and everything but dair is much harder to hit with.

Finally, Dash attack whiffs on a ducking kirby.

Focus attack CAN hit a crouching kirby. i managed to make it happen once,but can't repeat it for the life of me. Suffice it to say ducking focus is probably a good idea.

Crouch is super good against him

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Grab can grab Kirby out of any of his crouching tall frames (where he looks around). With Ftilt, the hard version also whiffs if kirby is right next to Ryu. Usmash hits,but ducking does allow Kirby to evade the prtion of the attack that reaches furthest -- in other words, it doesnt work if kirby is at the sidemost edge of its hitbox. Its still worth ducking if youre not in Ryu's face for that.

Also, both Uair and Bair whiff on ducking Kirby, and everything but dair is much harder to hit with.

Finally, Dash attack whiffs on a ducking kirby.

Focus attack CAN hit a crouching kirby. i managed to make it happen once,but can't repeat it for the life of me. Suffice it to say ducking focus is probably a good idea.

Crouch is super good against him
Thanks for that. I feel really guilty after leaving those attacks out, but again, thanks for the help and such!

Jaroking

Smash Rookie
NNID
JackLeeBrowning
3DS FC
0275-7331-0133
F-Smash sour/sweet spot? Didn't think it had sour or sweet spots. Can someone give me some info on this, must be something about the move I don't know. In training it does the same amount after fully charging it no mater how close, as long as it hits, I believe

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
F-Smash sour/sweet spot? Didn't think it had sour or sweet spots. Can someone give me some info on this, must be something about the move I don't know. In training it does the same amount after fully charging it no mater how close, as long as it hits, I believe
I think "late hit" is a better term. If you hit between Frame 13-15, it does 16%/15%/14% (depending on the angle). If you hit between Frame 16-19, it does 12%/11%/10%.

Interestingly, the game files say Kirby had no changes from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8 so this nerf was probably in 1.0.6 and went unnoticed.
http://smashboards.com/threads/luca...notes-17th-19-30.406319/page-19#post-19454998

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I think "late hit" is a better term. If you hit between Frame 13-15, it does 16%/15%/14% (depending on the angle). If you hit between Frame 16-19, it does 12%/11%/10%.

Interestingly, the game files say Kirby had no changes from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8 so this nerf was probably in 1.0.6 and went unnoticed.
http://smashboards.com/threads/luca...notes-17th-19-30.406319/page-19#post-19454998
Yeah, that is strange. The thing that caused the change was likely asymmetry between the sweet and sour spots. 16%/15%/14% for sweet, then for sour spot before the change it was 13%/11%/10%, apparently. Now I'm just curious when the change actually took place.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Yeah, that is strange. The thing that caused the change was likely asymmetry between the sweet and sour spots. 16%/15%/14% for sweet, then for sour spot before the change it was 13%/11%/10%, apparently. Now I'm just curious when the change actually took place.
It occurred in 1.0.6. It just went unnoticed. Also, all Hammer hit boxes were increased in 1.0.6, another change that went unnoticed because who really uses Hammer? :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/luca...notes-19th-20-00.406319/page-26#post-19465191

These are all of Kirby's changes from 1.0.4 -> 1.0.6 (doesn't include end lag or landing lag changes). Aside from the Quickrock nerf (which was a universal change), Kirby didn't receive any changes in 1.0.8
Kirby
-----
Fsmash (angled up)
delayed hitbox
damage 13 -> 12

Usmash
initial hitboxes 0/1
kbg 96 -> 102
bkb 34 -> 33

Dsmash
all hitboxes
angle 76 -> 69
kbg 102 -> 108

Dthrow
loop hitbox
damage 0.4 -> 0.8 (total throw damage 6.6 -> 10.2)

Ground Hammer Flip/Bash
hitbox 0
size 4.4 -> 5.4
y 4.0 -> 4.5
hitbox 1
size 2.5 -> 3.5
y 4.0 -> 4.5

Ground Hammer Flip Max Charge
hitbox 0
size 4.8 -> 5.8
y 4.0 -> 4.2
hitbox 1
size 2.9 -> 3.9
y 4.0 -> 4.2

Ground Giant Hammer
all hitboxes
y 4.0 -> 4.5

Aerial Hammer Flip/Bash
all hitboxes
size 4.2/2.0 -> 5.2/3.0
y 4.0 -> 4.3

Aerial Hammer Flip Max Charge
hitbox 0
size 4.4 -> 5.4
hitbox 1
size 2.5 -> 3.5

Aerial Giant Hammer
all hitboxes
y 4.0 -> 4.3

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
It occurred in 1.0.6. It just went unnoticed. Also, all Hammer hit boxes were increased in 1.0.6, another change that went unnoticed because who really uses Hammer? :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/luca...notes-19th-20-00.406319/page-26#post-19465191

These are all of Kirby's changes from 1.0.4 -> 1.0.6 (doesn't include end lag or landing lag changes). Aside from the Quickrock nerf (which was a universal change), Kirby didn't receive any changes in 1.0.8
Kirby
-----
Fsmash (angled up)
delayed hitbox
damage 13 -> 12

Usmash
initial hitboxes 0/1
kbg 96 -> 102
bkb 34 -> 33

Dsmash
all hitboxes
angle 76 -> 69
kbg 102 -> 108

Dthrow
loop hitbox
damage 0.4 -> 0.8 (total throw damage 6.6 -> 10.2)

Ground Hammer Flip/Bash
hitbox 0
size 4.4 -> 5.4
y 4.0 -> 4.5
hitbox 1
size 2.5 -> 3.5
y 4.0 -> 4.5

Ground Hammer Flip Max Charge
hitbox 0
size 4.8 -> 5.8
y 4.0 -> 4.2
hitbox 1
size 2.9 -> 3.9
y 4.0 -> 4.2

Ground Giant Hammer
all hitboxes
y 4.0 -> 4.5

Aerial Hammer Flip/Bash
all hitboxes
size 4.2/2.0 -> 5.2/3.0
y 4.0 -> 4.3

Aerial Hammer Flip Max Charge
hitbox 0
size 4.4 -> 5.4
hitbox 1
size 2.5 -> 3.5

Aerial Giant Hammer
all hitboxes
y 4.0 -> 4.3
Thanks for the research, Bribery! I'll let the patch guys know and credit you for the notes. ^^

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Oh those notes are from Thinkaman, I just copy/pasted them :p
That's fine. They still have that nerf listed as a change in the 1.0.8 patch, though, so I thought it would help clear the confusion and such by making note of that. You did catch something inadvertently, because of it. :lick:

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Guys. Flare Blade edgeguard -> pivot F-Smash. Covers pretty much everything, but watch out for Counter.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Guys. Flare Blade edgeguard -> pivot F-Smash. Covers pretty much everything, but watch out for Counter.
Sounds like something we could do...but forgive me for asking, care to elaborate in more detail? I just want to know anything in as much detail as possible.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Sounds like something we could do...but forgive me for asking, care to elaborate in more detail? I just want to know anything in as much detail as possible.
Oh, we can do it. Basically, Flare Blade has effectively no (or very nearly no) lag. If you use it facing the edge while the opponent is offstage/on the ledge, they're forced to either eat the Flare Blade (bad idea), or take another option to get on stage. Should they choose to go above, you can usmash. If they go behind, you can hit them with a pivot fsmash.

Basically, it's a great trap/bait tool.

Top Bottom