• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Thanks for the info! oh have you guys seen the plays by hypernova56? he's pretty good look him up on youtube
Oh, so he's that Nova. Damn, and I tought my tag was unique...

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up1SEKZlCXk at 4:32

Thoughts? I disagree with the fact that he thinks Kirby has the potential to be high tier without customs, due to being light, lack of approach options, and having bad specials without customs, but I'm not all that experienced.

EDIT: Oops, I probably should have posted this in the competitive thread, sorry about that!

EDIT 2: Wow nvm, didn't realize this was already discussed :p

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I think Kirby is a solid mid-tier with and without customs. By that I mean he's viable solo main but he does have some difficult MUs. I don't think Kirby improves substantially with Customs, at least not to the extent that Palutena, Donkey Kong, and Mii Brawler do. Some people think that Kirby is trash without customs and I disagree. He's still a solid character in default settings. That being said, I really hope "Customs On" becomes the tournament standard. Kirby just feels so incomplete without Upper Cutter :p It's the UpB he should've always had. It naturally blends in with his existing kit.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hi!:4kirby:

I've been a kirby main since I first started playing Smash (It was the first time I was introduced to Kirby). My first Smash was Melee, and since then I've become a big fan of the Kirby series.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
it's weird that kirby has been my main squeeze since 64 even though I've only played one kirby game(mass attack) ugh my 3ds is totally done..all i get now is this popping noise maybe i should've laid off of smash lol i was literally putting myself to sleep thinking about kirby strategies and tactics i even woke myself up trying to spot dodge! xD it at least my birthday is 11 days away...

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I've been practicing for a while now and I'm taking a break at this moment, thanks to Up-Tilt combos with those fast fallers.

There are soooooo many ways that these can be achieved, and it is a major strain to prep yourself to making combos on the fly thanks to how the character works. As a bit of a light-hearted at-the-moment sort of question, what is your favorite Up-Tilt combo you like to pull off?

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing for a while now and I'm taking a break at this moment, thanks to Up-Tilt combos with those fast fallers.

There are soooooo many ways that these can be achieved, and it is a major strain to prep yourself to making combos on the fly thanks to how the character works. As a bit of a light-hearted at-the-moment sort of question, what is your favorite Up-Tilt combo you like to pull off?
Whenever I pull off a Utilt -> Uair -> Bair (sour) -> Bair (sweet) I usually take a moment to appreciate a job well done.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well, it's character dependent. Floaties like Kirby and Mewtwo get out of Utilt strings really quickly, fastfallers like Fox and Sheik get comboed for an unfairly long time :bee:
Kirby's strengths (primarily uptilt combos, gimping ability, and a super short crouch) create such polarizing matchups lol

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Well, it's character dependent. Floaties like Kirby and Mewtwo get out of Utilt strings really quickly, fastfallers like Fox and Sheik get comboed for an unfairly long time :bee:
Kirby's strengths (primarily uptilt combos, gimping ability, and a super short crouch) create such polarizing matchups lol
Yup. It is all about finding what works with who at what %s for everybody's favorite puffball. Too bad that in order to go to sweetspot U-Tilt or sourspot U-Tilt, they must be right there or above 25% or so, thanks to increased hitstun and such, which is annoying when I try to practice it. And don't get me started on practicing delayed, pivot U-Tilts (though they are SO worth it). It all probably seems like it is a momentous work of art that Kirbys must understand and react to on the fly.

Still, getting 40% or so and such on a character, or a ready 18% (U-Tilt to B-Air, I love it ^^) combo you can throw out at a lot of %s and at a lot of characters, is niiiice. Only more practice and application will show what else comes up, and I couldn't be any more excited for it.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
have you guys ever tried edge guarding with vulcan jab?? i did it on a megaman and due to his up b not having a hit box he had no choice but to sd the catch is you have to be a little from the very edge of the stage (like have kirby's fist line up to the edge) before you start the jab and if they di away from the stage to get out of it game over lol i have the replay posted on the 3ds version you guys should check it out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I bought a digital copy of 3DSmash on Friday and I'm even more of a beast at Kirby than my most wanted newcomer Shulk

Mind you I'm still a bit rusty after having not played any Smash in a while and still need to truly "git gud". But yeah I am learning all sorts of techs with different characters so it's a start

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
have you guys ever tried edge guarding with vulcan jab?? i did it on a megaman and due to his up b not having a hit box he had no choice but to sd the catch is you have to be a little from the very edge of the stage (like have kirby's fist line up to the edge) before you start the jab and if they di away from the stage to get out of it game over lol i have the replay posted on the 3ds version you guys should check it out
ikr? i did that with falcons before and they literally couldnt do anything besides fall and Uair

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Also, its hard to hit with sometimes, but falling up air combos into almost kirbys entire moveset.

Around 50, you can combo falling up air, i to full jump down air, and turn that into big damage

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I was having an issue and was wondering if you could help me make a decision.

Recently I've been going to my weekly locals here in SoCal and I keep placing pretty poorly. I'll lose to tricky characters (imo) like Bowser, MK, Ness, and Mario. All of these are MUs that I know how to approach and to a certain extent deal with on a basic level but regardless I keep getting screwed over. At this point I'm not sure if it's due to my playstyle/skill level or if I should just pick up another character. I currently main Kirby and Pit interchangeably. As of now I don't think there's much more I can do with my Pit which is good but my Kirby feels super lackluster and slow. I was considering picking up Shiek, fox, or peach to cover my bad MUs against Mario, Doc, Pikachu, and Ness but at the same time I've seen other Kirby's wreck these very same characters. But basically I'm asking should I pick up a third secondary or should I just try to work on improving my Kirby altogether?

I apologize for the long post

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Hey guys I was having an issue and was wondering if you could help me make a decision.

Recently I've been going to my weekly locals here in SoCal and I keep placing pretty poorly. I'll lose to tricky characters (imo) like Bowser, MK, Ness, and Mario. All of these are MUs that I know how to approach and to a certain extent deal with on a basic level but regardless I keep getting screwed over. At this point I'm not sure if it's due to my playstyle/skill level or if I should just pick up another character. I currently main Kirby and Pit interchangeably. As of now I don't think there's much more I can do with my Pit which is good but my Kirby feels super lackluster and slow. I was considering picking up Shiek, fox, or peach to cover my bad MUs against Mario, Doc, Pikachu, and Ness but at the same time I've seen other Kirby's wreck these very same characters. But basically I'm asking should I pick up a third secondary or should I just try to work on improving my Kirby altogether?

I would recommend both, Peach isnt a bad idea, but make sure to take time into learning her moves and mixing up your options.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Your first option should ALWAYS be, get better at the game, before anything else. When being a better player no longer solves your problems, then you switch characters

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I think Pit should be beat Mario and Bowser cannot really land so take advantage of that. Ness is weird I don't know a good character does him. But like Da K.I.D. said - Improve your individual skills first. Battle some of the SB community with Kirby and ask for advice on what to do. If you really feel as if you abilities has hit their maximum then you can switch.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I think Pit should be beat Mario and Bowser cannot really land so take advantage of that. Ness is weird I don't know a good character does him. But like Da K.I.D. said - Improve your individual skills first. Battle some of the SB community with Kirby and ask for advice on what to do. If you really feel as if you abilities has hit their maximum then you can switch.
Apparently a Ness player I met yesterday said Kirby did really well against him which was weird to me because he 2 0ed me and knocked me out of the bracket xP
I'll definitely start asking the more pro players for friendlies though and for their advice on how I should improve! Thanks for the help! Lol I had been wondering fox or Shiek because there are a lot of really good people to learn from at the local

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795

Wow those are my exact mains, except I feel very confident with Kirby but not so much with Pit. I'm now free (sort of) of finals, so I think I'll be avaliable for some practice matches if you'll like

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
i strongly suggest improving your kirby, have you tried looking at youtube videos of amazing kirbies? or even training mode with a level 9 kirby can improve your meta. I felt the exact same way once and thought about completely giving up on the pink puff but then i thought it's not kirby it's me!(no fnaf reference lol) so yeah find out what you can do to MAKE kirby better! though it would be a good idea to pick a secondary that covers kirby's weaknesses like villager or a character with a lot of approach options. i mean literally just yesterday i beat 6 people in a row at Gamestop after they so rudely said kirby was trash

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Wow those are my exact mains, except I feel very confident with Kirby but not so much with Pit. I'm now free (sort of) of finals, so I think I'll be avaliable for some practice matches if you'll like
I'm down for it let's set some matches up soon we can practice both characters and go back and forth

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
i strongly suggest improving your kirby, have you tried looking at youtube videos of amazing kirbies? or even training mode with a level 9 kirby can improve your meta. I felt the exact same way once and thought about completely giving up on the pink puff but then i thought it's not kirby it's me!(no fnaf reference lol) so yeah find out what you can do to MAKE kirby better! though it would be a good idea to pick a secondary that covers kirby's weaknesses like villager or a character with a lot of approach options. i mean literally just yesterday i beat 6 people in a row at Gamestop after they so rudely said kirby was trash
I've been doing just that lol I played against level 9 kirby's and tried to keep the matches under 2 minutes to improve my aggressiveness and how I handled the matchup I also marathon Kirby videos on youtube as often as possible but idk I feel like the only way to improve in that regard would be to play and have dialogues with highly skilled Kirby players ( lol thankfully smashboards is a thing) I've been using Anthers ladder as well to improve. But I feel like my playstyle needs an overhaul

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The sourspot of Kirby's side smash attack angled upward was nerfed. It deals 12% damage instead of 13%. Besides that, I'm not sure.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how useful this is but as I'm sure everyone knows by now Kirby moves up a little bit when he uses Ryu's hadouken.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Is anybody else unable to perform Quick Stone? It may have been removed.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, it's the first thing I tested after reading about universal B momentum changes. Apparently nobody can slide off ledges with their B moves now, and Kirby can definitely no longer Quick Stone :( Nintendo is no fun allowed

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Wonder if Hadouken can activate with the quarter circle inputs

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's the first thing I tested after reading about universal B momentum changes. Apparently nobody can slide off ledges with their B moves now, and Kirby can definitely no longer Quick Stone :( Nintendo is no fun allowed
What other characters benefited from that the most? I mean I hope i am correct, but quick stone is when like...the moment you are off the edge or something by like like sliding, then immediatly stone, it instantly makes you fall and stops its startup lag right?

I mean, if some other characters benefited from it greatly, maybe its not the worst thing?
I mean if thats his only true nerf, i hope its not gonna affect things too much.

Any buffs our pink puffball has gotten? Like make better combos from his throws :/, if we at least had that then we would definatly be a considerable threat because we have many set-ups that easily gets us grabs.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
So I can confirm Kirby has a damage nerf to sourspot (Up) F-Smash. 13% -> 12%

Also, I think Kirby's F-Smash has more ending lag, could someone test that?

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Kirby can do all the hadoken inputs. Tried it out myself
Yup. And we can duck under them too. ^^

Also, @ Asdioh Asdioh , do you think you can test the ending lag on F-Smash, please? I think there may have been a nerf in added endlag, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yup. And we can duck under them too. ^^

Also, @ Asdioh Asdioh , do you think you can test the ending lag on F-Smash, please? I think there may have been a nerf in added endlag, but I'm not sure.
Oh wow. I'm not testing side by side, but yes Fsmash seems to blatantly have more endlag. So Kirby nerfs are Upward angled Fsmash sourspot deals 1% less (lol?), Fsmash has more endlag, and Pummel does a fraction of a percent less damage (I read that somewhere who knows if it's true)
So uhh.. interesting? Fsmash was already punishable on shield, so it shouldn't be too much of a nerf.. I hope.

edit: never mind it seems exactly the same comparing it to my 3ds version one time, but it's awkward so don't make me do that again

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Oh wow. I'm not testing side by side, but yes Fsmash seems to blatantly have more endlag. So Kirby nerfs are Upward angled Fsmash sourspot deals 1% less (lol?), Fsmash has more endlag, and Pummel does a fraction of a percent less damage (I read that somewhere who knows if it's true)
So uhh.. interesting? Fsmash was already punishable on shield, so it shouldn't be too much of a nerf.. I hope.
Oh, umm...on the pummel part. @ Bribery Bribery stated that there was no change, and he's right. No change on the pummel.

To be honest, it isn't too bad of a nerf from the looks of it, we just can't through F-Smash as wantonly as before (as if we could in the first place). We still have our combos, the duck, the power, from the early looks of it, so it isn't a big nerf at all, it seems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom