• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
You can DI "the wrong way," shortening your path to the blast zone. In this case, D-throw sends them up at a slight angle from the front of Kirby. If you're facing to the right, d-throw them, and they DI left: the knockback they take is the same but the path to the blast zone is shorter. You have to DI away from Kirby to live longer (in this instance).
Oh, Okay I get it now. Guess I just misinterpreted what you said because the people I play DI away from Kirby that anyway.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
By the way, are most of the Kirby replays any good?
IMO the replays uploaded are lacking in style and finesse and aren't worth watching. They're also titled things like "Best Kill Ever", "Epic Mind Games" and "No One Can Defeat Me" which just adds to unfortunate humor.

They did, however, inspire my own video titles in their own deplorable way.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
IMO the replays uploaded are lacking in style and finesse and aren't worth watching. They're also titled things like "Best Kill Ever", "Epic Mind Games" and "No One Can Defeat Me" which just adds to unfortunate humor.

They did, however, inspire my own video titles in their own deplorable way.
Yeah, it is sad that our "memetage, MLG" culture is starting to affect the quality of showing replays to others. Just saying, that sort of stuff is just a sewage of awful with a couple of good things floating about.

Where did it all go wrong?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was using Kirby's Pikmin Toss with B-reversals and I got a long sliding animation randomly. It was about twice as far as a normal 'slide' while plucking. I didn't save the replay, but I duplicated it in Training Mode. I'm still not entirely sure what causes it, but I wanted to let you guys know in case you run into it (or find out what causes it).

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it is sad that our "memetage, MLG" culture is starting to affect the quality of showing replays to others. Just saying, that sort of stuff is just a sewage of awful with a couple of good things floating about.

Where did it all go wrong?
I say we should simultaneously flood the place with our own replays! I have a few decent ones that I was going to upload, but I wonder how many people would actually see them before they get deleted.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I was using Kirby's Pikmin Toss with B-reversals and I got a long sliding animation randomly. It was about twice as far as a normal 'slide' while plucking. I didn't save the replay, but I duplicated it in Training Mode. I'm still not entirely sure what causes it, but I wanted to let you guys know in case you run into it (or find out what causes it).
Really? That's interesting. I'm willing to take a guess in that it happens because the move has a lot of animation frames or something, but I'm not quite sure, just a guess. Anyways, any actual uses for it, or is it just another silly thing for Kirby? Either way, nice find!

I say we should simultaneously flood the place with our own replays! I have a few decent ones that I was going to upload, but I wonder how many people would actually see them before they get deleted.
Get deleted? Why's that? Also, I would do some replays, but I don't have a capture card, my Wii U is under repairs, and I don't have online access to play people. Oh well, at least I'm practicing jab locks with copy abilities and D-Tilt. \_^^_/

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Get deleted? Why's that? Also, I would do some replays, but I don't have a capture card, my Wii U is under repairs, and I don't have online access to play people. Oh well, at least I'm practicing jab locks with copy abilities and D-Tilt. \_^^_/
I haven't checked the replay viewer extensively, but it looks like there's a limit of 100 available for viewing (in each mode). I don't know if the old ones are just phased out or what. But since there aren't too many Kirbys out there, I don't expect new replays to disappear quickly.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That's a decent idea. If a few of us here post a few videos every so often the top 100 should have a decent amount available for view. There's a limit of 10 per day and they stick around for 30 days. 10 replays isn't very much - I'll go play 10 FG matches and upload them now.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
OK, I've been bombarded here and there and everywhere now with this: what the heck is Smash 4 Kirby's D-Air Lock, and why is it people are saying to learn that over jab locking (other than the fact most people tech)?

EDIT: Apparently it is just D-Airing an opponent who just techs the ground and punishing with D-Air. I think that's just a read that was given a name. ...I think.

Last edited:

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
That's a decent idea. If a few of us here post a few videos every so often the top 100 should have a decent amount available for view. There's a limit of 10 per day and they stick around for 30 days. 10 replays isn't very much - I'll go play 10 FG matches and upload them now.
Well I just uploaded 9 or so FG matches for the world to learn, criticize, or laugh at, so have at it!
Also downloaded a few matches, it seems that a lot of people love Final Cutter...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Well I just uploaded 9 or so FG matches for the world to learn, criticize, or laugh at, so have at it!
I, too, uploaded my replays.

I remember someone asking about the Wario match-up somewhere; I have a couple Wario replays in there.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
That is what the social board is for. Go see the Zelda Social Board or the Robin Social Board for example.
Hmm... or maybe not.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
So, ZeRo lists Kirby as one of the most underrated characters that us potentially high tier without customs and even greater (potential top) with.

https://youtu.be/Up1SEKZlCXk
Eh, I don't see it. Sure he's underrated, but probably not a high tier without customs. Contrary to what he said, crouch doesn't force approaches because it doesn't let Kirby go "under everything" and we'll usually get outranged, we don't actually have throw combos outside of situational stuff, recovery is somewhat exploitable, etc...

With customs (really just Upper Cutter), a lot of that is fixed. Whether he's high tier or not remains to be seen, but with some of the other customs out there, I think that's kind of hard to justify.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Maybe not high tier, but most likely upper-mid through mid, but that could change as the game goes on unless it's mainly about customs because w Evan agree, that Kirby.......he's good, but like.....he just doesn't have much about him that makes him so dangerous, so overtime it is possible his MU could all be near even even more then they are right now.
People could adapt, but it would really take time

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Next time I get a chance, I'll upload some For Glory replays. Maybe tomorrow? Hopefully tomorrow.

While I don't think Kirby really has a chance without Customs, it's good to see people like ZeRo acknowledging Kirby's value with Customs. He becomes a lot better with them!

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I think Kirby does have a chance without Customs. MikeKirby, TripleR and T!mmy have shown Kirby is viable without Custom. He is much better with Customs but doable without them.

I want to see these "many throw combos" Zero is referring to. Even the youtube comments are defending his claim.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Kirby is very viable with or without customs, it's just how you play him(it?) i think and don't get me wrong the safe and careful way Mike plays is very smart but sometimes you just gotta go in, i am a very aggressive Kirby and that's what throws people off i don't let up until they start shielding that's when you use inhale or get those grab combos in and here's something to think about you're first stock try staying somewhat aerial and when you die or they die stay grounded this will give you those good punishes when you're opponent tries to jump and hit you

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
also I've been developing this awesome tech! what you do is use inhale wait a bit and jump off the stage while you still have you opponent in your mouth...then when they mash out go for the bair boom instant stage spike. i saw it while watching one of my trainees(i have fans! lol) try to kirbycide when the other dude mashed out he ended up behind Kirby is was like this could be really big! i was gonna keep it a secret but i feel Kirby needs as much advantages as he can get! tell me if it works!

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
also I've been developing this awesome tech! what you do is use inhale wait a bit and jump off the stage while you still have you opponent in your mouth...then when they mash out go for the bair boom instant stage spike. i saw it while watching one of my trainees(i have fans! lol) try to kirbycide when the other dude mashed out he ended up behind Kirby is was like this could be really big! i was gonna keep it a secret but i feel Kirby needs as much advantages as he can get! tell me if it works!
actually disregard that lol either they mashout too slow or they don't mash out at all

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Next time I get a chance, I'll upload some For Glory replays. Maybe tomorrow? Hopefully tomorrow.

While I don't think Kirby really has a chance without Customs, it's good to see people like ZeRo acknowledging Kirby's value with Customs. He becomes a lot better with them!
I honestly think Kirby is viable without customs and with customs. The problem that plagues Kirby without customs is the lack of representation outside of people like Ken, Poyo, MikeKirby, etc. Non-custom and custom Kirby is, as ZeRo said, very much "under the radar" in terms of representation, a fate that a myriad of characters in this game face (because natural oversaturation exists).

Even so, the fact that ZeRo is saying Kirby is a very viable character is a sign that there are high-leveled people believe Kirby can produce results with and without customs. It is up to the Kirbies and the mains and such to advance our play and such to that aforementioned level. It won't be as easy as with other characters, but it certainly will be more satisfying.

Enough of that little speech, though...and a shame towards those in the UK right now. Those scalpers, man.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
I think you guys are getting a little mixed up... Kirby is viable (as pretty much every character is) but he's far from the best. Even so, people are underrating him to the point where he's called the worst character. While I don't really agree with that, I also don't agree with ZeRo's analysis of Kirby as some things were just flat out wrong. We all know Kirby gets better with customs, but that doesn't make him high tier without customs. I don't see Kirby right now competing with other high tiers in terms of tools, but as we figure out the game more, Kirby could go either way.

Who knows, Kirby might end up being the worst character in the game (plz no, not again). Either way, I'll still have a lot of fun playing with him. I just need to figure out a feasible way of landing a fully charged Hammer every match...

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
I think you guys are getting a little mixed up... Kirby is viable (as pretty much every character is) but he's far from the best. Even so, people are underrating him to the point where he's called the worst character. While I don't really agree with that, I also don't agree with ZeRo's analysis of Kirby as some things were just flat out wrong. We all know Kirby gets better with customs, but that doesn't make him high tier without customs. I don't see Kirby right now competing with other high tiers in terms of tools, but as we figure out the game more, Kirby could go either way.

Who knows, Kirby might end up being the worst character in the game (plz no, not again). Either way, I'll still have a lot of fun playing with him. Now I just need to figure out a feasible way of landing a fully charged Hammer every match...
i just wait for people to air dodge

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
kirby will never be low tier again!!!!!!!!!! it's not the character it's the player people were just to impatient to actually try and make him good you can use the lowest of the low and still come out on top! fg record: 2085 - 1058 with a "low tier" main

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
^ true dat
He will still be mid and could even be upper mid for all we know.
Sure he may not have like the speed, or necessarily the high power, or......other fantastic things that most characters have over the others(besides his crouch, which i wish was the actual lowest in the game)
But he is still great, though these things may make people think hes not fun and not good, but just watch those suckers be proven wrong ;) I know kirby can do this, and the kirby meta So yea
KIRBY FTW

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
kirby will never be low tier again!!!!!!!!!! it's not the character it's the player people were just to impatient to actually try and make him good you can use the lowest of the low and still come out on top! fg record: 2085 - 1058 with a "low tier" main
^ true dat
He will still be mid and could even be upper mid for all we know.
Sure he may not have like the speed, or necessarily the high power, or......other fantastic things that most characters have over the others(besides his crouch, which i wish was the actual lowest in the game)
But he is still great, though these things may make people think hes not fun and not good, but just watch those suckers be proven wrong ;) I know kirby can do this, and the kirby meta So yea
KIRBY FTW
To be honest, the tiering was never the problem, guys. I've talked to many people (where applicable, since people are starting to converge to good/bad MUs, at least from my standpoint), and a lot of people have mentioned the very thing @ Poupoko Poupoko stated. A good group of people have developed a general consensus that Kirby is amongst the worst in the game, thanks to a combination of him having problems, and most importantly, the lack of representation we see in big tournaments, especially in non-customs.

This isn't only for Kirby, mind you. As stated previously, a lot of characters with a lack of representation suffer from this problem, thanks to a notion that claims that if they don't see a character a lot, they must be bad or the worst. All things considered, the balance of Smash 4 is perhaps the most stable in regards to MUs across the board. With Kirby, as many have found out, it means more work and practice to get to a high-level along with the big characters on the top. Perhaps that is what ZeRo meant by "players under the radar," but who knows. The important thing is that we should play who we want and like, since this game doesn't invalidate other characters on a massive scale like the previous two games did. Just get out there and represent.

Whelp, I'm getting hungry, time to eat some Pop-Tarts for breakfast.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
SapphSabre777 said:
This isn't only for Kirby, mind you. As stated previously, a lot of characters with a lack of representation suffer from this problem, thanks to a notion that claims that if they don't see a character a lot, they must be bad or the worst.
This makes me sad. Everyone's using chars like Falcon or Shiek and it's hard hard to find people who use chars like Duck hunt or Ike.

SapphSabre777 said:
Whelp, I'm getting hungry, time to eat some Pop-Tarts for breakfast.
Dangit Sapph get some pancakes. The real champion's breakfast.

Last edited:

Triple R

Smash Lord
Someone even joking Kirby could end up being the worst in Smash 4, haha wow. He's sooooo far from the worst.

Someday you Kirby's will have to catch up to me and MikeKirby. You'll find us on the cash pile.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Someone even joking Kirby could end up being the worst in Smash 4, haha wow. He's sooooo far from the worst.

Someday you Kirby's will have to catch up to me and MikeKirby. You'll find us on the cash pile.
That's some incentive right there

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hey Triple R! Any advice about when to use Hammer Flip? Out of all the Kirby (Kirbies?idk), you utilize the Side B the most.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
That Match-Up with Game & Watch is difficult for me. Same goes with olimar.

I need to learn more on these or just let them approach instead.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
So, ZeRo lists Kirby as one of the most underrated characters that us potentially high tier without customs and even greater (potential top) with.
Yes, Kirby is underrated. High Tier... no he's probably not high tier, not even with Upper Cutter.

Here's the thing with Kirby:
He has a great combo game... strike that, he has an amazing combo game. It's right up there with any Top Tier or S-Tier character. Unfortunately he doesn't have Top/S-Tier approaches, and he flat-out has Bottom Tier speed. He also doesn't have much in the way of making up for this drawback (no good zoning, priority, etc., and not even a reflector/absorber for anti-spam).

This means that if you play against an opponent who is at a lower level than you are, or even someone who does not know the Kirby match-up, you can capitalize on the combo potential of Kirby and really wreck someone. The opposite is also true, when you have someone who is a strong opponent and/or knows the Kirby match-up things get much more difficult. Many opponents are good enough that even if they have a rough time Round 1 against a Kirby player they can adapt in subsequent Rounds and quickly learn the match-up.

The cool thing is Smash 4 is much more evenly balanced across the roster than previous Smash games. While Kirby may have some tough match-ups, they're nothing compared to what we Kirby players deal with in Melee and Brawl. XD

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Yes, Kirby is underrated. High Tier... no he's probably not high tier, not even with Upper Cutter.

Here's the thing with Kirby:
He has a great combo game... strike that, he has an amazing combo game. It's right up there with any Top Tier or S-Tier character. Unfortunately he doesn't have Top/S-Tier approaches, and he flat-out has Bottom Tier speed. He also doesn't have much in the way of making up for this drawback (no good zoning, priority, etc., and not even a reflector/absorber for anti-spam).

This means that if you play against an opponent who is at a lower level than you are, or even someone who does not know th
e Kirby match-up, you can capitalize on the combo potential of Kirby and really wreck someone. The opposite is also true, when you have someone who is a strong opponent and/or knows the Kirby match-up things get much more difficult. Many opponents are good enough that even if they have a rough time Round 1 against a Kirby player they can adapt in subsequent Rounds and quickly learn the match-up.

The cool thing is Smash 4 is much more evenly balanced across the roster than previous Smash games. While Kirby may have some tough match-ups, they're nothing compared to what we Kirby players deal with in Melee and Brawl. XD
That's it right there :)
I love Kirby and he has potential, maybe not as much as other characters but fantastic nonetheless.
Btw Kirby is.....I am just writing what I heard, more of a defensive character, but with an offensive moveset?
Like his crouch is so fantastic at keeping him safe from so many attacks/grabs, but he has one of the best combo games, and fast semi-powerful attacks and great setups, but situational specials.
So he's weird in a way, but maybe that's one good thing?

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846

Ooh, intense. I like it. Also, nice post count.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
If I actually cared about having a signature then I would totally put that Triple R quote in there. That was a sick burn, and I say that full well knowing that I'm one of the people that got burned (although I would never say Kirby is one of the worst!).

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
hey bros and broettes i was wondering what the preferable button layout for gamecube controller would be? and why?

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Personally, I use default settings except:
  • Tap Jump and Rumble Off
  • L = Jump for easier OoS Up B/Aerials, jump-cancelled Up Smashes, and rising aerials. It's also pretty similar to having tap jump on except less likely for misinputs. I use X for SH jumps though. I find it hard to do a SH consistently with the L trigger.
  • C-Stick = Attack for better aerial control and easier pivot tilts

I don't think there are any "optimal" settings. You should use what you're most comfortable with.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Personally, I use default settings except:
  • Tap Jump and Rumble Off
  • L = Jump for easier OoS Up B/Aerials, jump-cancelled Up Smashes, and rising aerials. It's also pretty similar to having tap jump on except less likely for misinputs. I use X for SH jumps though. I find it hard to do a SH consistently with the L trigger.
  • C-Stick = Attack for better aerial control and easier pivot tilts

I don't think there are any "optimal" settings. You should use what you're most comfortable with.
Thanks for the info! oh have you guys seen the plays by hypernova56? he's pretty good look him up on youtube

Top Bottom