• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby: Secretly Yoshi's worst matchup.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
I don't see any discussion about Yoshi on this board. I've heard it was a really ****ty MU for Kirby though.

However, while I was messing around in friendlies I found something hilarious and was wondering if any Kirby mains might share their knowledge on this. Apparently, if Kirby inhales Yoshi during his double jump and Yoshi escapes, it counts as a grab release and Yoshi doesn't get his double jump back, killing him. Are there any setups I could use with this?

I've always loved Kirby but I thought he was really bad in this game. Recently, however, I've been finding out about how good some of Kirby's tools are and I might use him as a secondary.

P.S. Kirby should be able to use the copy power from Super Star and just choose any of the 50 character's standard B moves to use. plz Sakurai plz

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
No offense, but this has been known for like ever... way back in Brawl. Which is probably why it hasnt really been talked about. Inhaling someone out of their double jump does not give them their jump back if you do any of the 3 options (starshot, copy, release). Plus, its easier to avoid than you would think so its not really all that reliable to, say, help the matchup any more.

Last edited:

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
I figured it was well known but I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. I mean is it really that unreliable? There's only so many different mixups Yoshi can use with his DJ.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
It can be worked in if you bait an airdodge, get them if they are ascending from below or get them with a surprise B reverse offstage or something... but that doesn't change the fact that Yoshi can do several options to not get eaten (including his amazing nair + fast air mobility momentum usually making it hit you before you absorb him) AND missing your setup leaves you in an extremely bad position and could potentially cost YOU a stock.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Yoshi/Kirby is a weird MU, almost to the point where it feels like a skillgate MU. It isn't nowhere near Luigi or Sonic levels of bad, but it is a disadvantageous MU that still needs to be addressed, if that is an MU you have issues with. Being able to avoid his momentous mix-ups and reading what he will do, as well as finding out what Kirby can pull off even with his assets (because we can do a few things) make it disadvantageous, just not as putrid as the Luigi/Sonic MUs (especially Luigi).

Last edited:
Top Bottom