• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
Yo, Masquerain was my favourite pokémon for a while

Labernash's post is good. I posted something above your post that might be helpful, too. But yeah, all in all, it's a tough MU where tight spacing and mixups after safeness is important. Shield, grabs, bair wall, occasional utilts.

Heck, double jump > FF dair right on top of his frickin shield works much better than it should. But, well, I haven't been versing Nairo, so, yeah.

Perfect. Shield.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Yeah, I'll just have to work on getting used to Metaknight's timing a lot more. Was going somewhat even with my state's only MK with Kirby, but it was obvious that he was going to beat me due to me not knowing the match up well enough :/.

I'll keep on working on it. Thanks guys! :).

Also, Masquerain is awesome! :D.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah there have. If Kirby gets port priority, Snake can stick him with a C4, Kirby can uthrow people while Snake sets off the c4, and people die off the top at 0%.

Plus other cool things, but that one is awesome.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby and Snake do quite well together. Whenever there's the opportunity, Kirby can copy Snake to get grenades and together they put out a massive amount of explosives.

My general role with Kirby in this team is to stock tank for Snake as much as possible and assist him if he ever gets juggled or goes off-stage. Working together they can both survive for a long amount of time and with all the grenades and Snake Tilts they can inflict a lot of damage.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I have three questions, go at em as you wish.
1. What is the best way to momentum cancel? Horizontally? Vertically? (Ive seen use of the hammer, doesnt work for me)
2. Kirby has the lowest crouch. What short hopped Aerials can Kirby's crouch go under? (I've seen the crouch avoid list)
3. Now that "crouch cancelling" is possible (reduces number of hitlag frames), has any research gone into what matchups this helps us in?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I have three questions, go at em as you wish.
1. What is the best way to momentum cancel? Horizontally? Vertically? (Ive seen use of the hammer, doesnt work for me)
2. Kirby has the lowest crouch. What short hopped Aerials can Kirby's crouch go under? (I've seen the crouch avoid list)
3. Now that "crouch cancelling" is possible (reduces number of hitlag frames), has any research gone into what matchups this helps us in?
1. If you're asking if Kirby can totally stop momentum with his hammer like G&W's bucket, I'm sorry to say Kirby doesn't have anything like that. Horizontally or Vertically? You mean where to DI? It depends on the attack that you took. In general terms if you took an attack while grounded you'll want to DI high. If you took an attack while really high up (ex MK Shuttle Loop) you'll want to DI low to avoid getting roofed. I'm not exactly sure what the agreed consensus is but I momentum cancel by doing an u-air and then jumping. Momentum cancelling with hammer doesn't work. I would advise not to use hammer offstage when recovering unless it's an emergency and you've used up about 3 or 4 of your midair jumps. Always be weary of your RCO lag when using it. I can't stress that enough.

2. A ton! I really can't name them all because it depends on the situation and in the form the aerial was done (fast-falled or not etc). It's something that Kirbies will learn through experience. Although, if you ask for character specifics, I'm sure everyone will give you input on their experiences on that one.

3. Link please~~

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
1. If you're asking if Kirby can totally stop momentum with his hammer like G&W's bucket, I'm sorry to say Kirby doesn't have anything like that. Horizontally or Vertically? You mean where to DI? It depends on the attack that you took. In general terms if you took an attack while grounded you'll want to DI high. If you took an attack while really high up (ex MK Shuttle Loop) you'll want to DI low to avoid getting roofed. I'm not exactly sure what the agreed consensus is but I momentum cancel by doing an u-air and then jumping. Momentum cancelling with hammer doesn't work. I would advise not to use hammer offstage when recovering unless it's an emergency and you've used up about 3 or 4 of your midair jumps. Always be weary of your RCO lag when using it. I can't stress that enough.
No. I know Kirby doesn't have G&W bucket brake properties. I remember Gonzo saying that it is best to momentum cancel horizontally with D-air > Jump+Hammer. I was wondering if that was true or not, I've never gotten it to work... so I was wondering if anyone else did.

2. A ton! I really can't name them all because it depends on the situation and in the form the aerial was done (fast-falled or not etc). It's something that Kirbies will learn through experience. Although, if you ask for character specifics, I'm sure everyone will give you input on their experiences on that one.
Yeah that makes sense, thanks Mike. :)

3. Link please~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuV42hx1hA
I know it isn't exactly 'melee crouch cancelling', but I found this interesting. Combine this with Kirby's low crouch could change up some matchups. At the end it talks about how Fino used this to help Olimar in the Falco matchup, I was just thinking it could help Kirby in the same way.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
No. I know Kirby doesn't have G&W bucket brake properties. I remember Gonzo saying that it is best to momentum cancel horizontally with D-air > Jump+Hammer. I was wondering if that was true or not, I've never gotten it to work... so I was wondering if anyone else did.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks Mike. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuV42hx1hA
I know it isn't exactly 'melee crouch cancelling', but I found this interesting. Combine this with Kirby's low crouch could change up some matchups. At the end it talks about how Fino used this to help Olimar in the Falco matchup, I was just thinking it could help Kirby in the same way.
D-air is Kirby's most laggy move because of the start up. You're better off with U-air and b-air. Although, I feel by doing a b-air you tend to DI towards the blast zone which makes me feel uncomfortable. Hammering afterword doesn't do much really.

As far as that video goes, it's amazing! I can't believe I've never seen it! It actually answers a lot of the weird things that I have been able to do! There have been times where I powershielded Falco's Jab2 or MK's rapid swings (standing A) and this explains it. This is great! I'll try it here and there and see if I get anything really noteworthy. At higher percent you risk DI-ing wrong and dieing early. Although, I feel it's a great thing to utilize at lower to mid percents to avoid getting followed up on. Nice share! :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That is really cool. It might explain why I would be able to U-tilt Falco after his D-air when I would SDI down - I didn't know why it worked but perhaps now I do. :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So what's the use for dair? It's a slow piece of **** move that is really awkward to even try to hit with because of Kirbys lack of airmobility and it lags for 2 years. Still I find myself trying to use this move a lot.
Is there anything else but offstage dair- > footstool kill to this move?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If your opponent is near you and above 143% (as 143% is when the heavier characters start bouncing off the floor), and you ledgehop dair while invincible and hit him, AND he doesn't tech any hit, you can jablock any enemy. Very unlikely to do in a match and beaten by kirbycide, plus if your opponent is at 143% we can assume he's playing very well and surviving which means he won't even approach the ledge when you're hanging from it.

In short, nope. Move kinda sucks.

But hey! You can always hup-cancel thanks to dair! VERY IMPORTANT part of Kirby's metagame!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Does hup-canceling mean fastfalling a dair into the ground so Kirby says hup and lands during the autocancel frames while yelling hup?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Does hup-canceling mean fastfalling a dair into the ground so Kirby says hup and lands during the autocancel frames while yelling hup?
Yep, that's the one. Pretty crazy right? Not everyone has the techskill for it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I admit I have actually used that technique and made my opponents expect a dair because of the sound and got me free grabs.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
If your opponent is near you and above 143% (as 143% is when the heavier characters start bouncing off the floor), and you ledgehop dair while invincible and hit him, AND he doesn't tech any hit, you can jablock any enemy. Very unlikely to do in a match and beaten by kirbycide, plus if your opponent is at 143% we can assume he's playing very well and surviving which means he won't even approach the ledge when you're hanging from it.

In short, nope. Move kinda sucks.

But hey! You can always hup-cancel thanks to dair! VERY IMPORTANT part of Kirby's metagame!
-dead-

Kewkky, you're the best! :joyful:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kind of. On some characters with bad DI (namely, like, Fox) he can get in a couple of dthrows.

A better option though that works on more characters is fthrow --> uair --> grab --> fthrow --> and then sometimes hammer, sometimes uair, depends on the char.
Sadly, Hammer isn't guaranteed ever. Best chaingrab you can have is fthrow > uair > fthrow > uair on the fastfallers/heavy characters, or dthrow > dthrow (which is beaten out by dthrow > utilt > utilt (until enemy is out of utilt range) > bair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom