• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Mains I need your help!

bigblast66

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna be maining kirby in my first smash bros 4 tournament any Recent tips? thanks in advance.

:4kirby: Kirby Shall return to the top.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Do have an idea of characters you may be facing?

In general, always be patient in neutral. Spend a lot of your time on the ground while waiting for the opponent to make a move and you use your multiple jumps to bait out stuff from your opponent that you can punish. Don't be predictable with D-Air, space Up Tilt well, and always remember Inhale. In certain matchups it can be real game changer.

Sens8ion

Smash Rookie
I do not main Kirby, although have recently been playing. I know that down air combos into almost anything, and that down throw is a good lead into up airs. Dash attack is a good move all around, as it can hit players coming from air. Neutral air has a rather large circumference hitbox

bigblast66

Smash Cadet
Do have an idea of characters you may be facing?

In general, always be patient in neutral. Spend a lot of your time on the ground while waiting for the opponent to make a move and you use your multiple jumps to bait out stuff from your opponent that you can punish. Don't be predictable with D-Air, space Up Tilt well, and always remember Inhale. In certain matchups it can be real game changer.
What should I do for edge guarding and trying to get on the ledge?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
What should I do for edge guarding and trying to get on the ledge?
D-Air and B-Air are most effective at edge guarding. B-Air is fast and D-Air has a lot of hitboxes. D-Air does have a lot of startup though so the best trick is to not use it when you're right over the foe but just after you jump off than fast fall it. That way the hitboxes will be out before your foe can get in recovery range and air dodge. And because Kirby's floaty you should be able to get back if you don't waste your jumps. You can also use Down B in certain situations if you cancel quickly enough.

As for recovering, try to avoid using Final Cutter at all costs. It's very exploitable. Instead, try to get back with jumps alone, using spare jumps to foil your foe's edgeguard attempts, If you have to use Final Cutter. Do it low it enough so that you sweetspot at the peak.

Last edited:

bigblast66

Smash Cadet
D-Air and B-Air are most effective at edge guarding. B-Air is fast and D-Air has a lot of hitboxes. D-Air does have a lot of startup though so the best trick is to not use it when you're right over the foe but just after you jump off than fast fall it. That way the hitboxes will be out before your foe can get in recovery range and air dodge. And because Kirby's floaty you should be able to get back if you don't waste your jumps. You can also use Down B in certain situations if you cancel quickly enough.

As for recovering, try to avoid using Final Cutter at all costs. It's very exploitable. Instead, try to get back with jumps alone, using spare jumps to foil your foe's edgeguard attempts, If you have to use Final Cutter. Do it low it enough so that you sweetspot at the peak.
Does the f-air still have you move a little bit forward

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Does the f-air still have you move a little bit forward
I think it does. F-Air can work but it's tricky because it comes out on Frame 10 so might not catch the recovery in time. Jumping backwards with B-Air is more effective. Plus it's stronger.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I do not main Kirby, although have recently been playing. I know that down air combos into almost anything, and that down throw is a good lead into up airs. Dash attack is a good move all around, as it can hit players coming from air. Neutral air has a rather large circumference hitbox
Actually, it's fthrow that combos, which leads into fair or uair depending on DI, dthrow is only for tacking on damage, and dash attack suuucks. Its reward blows and smart players can SDI out of it and punish your for even doing it. Nair is an okay option coverage tool and fast fall mixup, but use it sparingly as its startup is rather bleh.

breadstick24

Smash Rookie
It’s probably too late for me to post this as your tournament has most likely come and gone. If you plan on using Kirby again however here are my tips for beginners. Obviously every tool has its situational uses but this is the gist of it.

1. Dash attack does low damage, leads to nothing, can be escaped, is easily punished, and slow to start.

2. Fast fall N-air on stage is a decent mix-up

3. Do not Nair off-stage. You will die.

4. Forward throw at low percents leads to many aerials.

5. The ground is your friend. Stay close to it. Kirby’s tilts are generally pretty great.

6. Hug the ground, ducking is fantastic, it’s quite hilarious how many moves in the game you can avoid just because kirby is short

7. Up-tilt hits behind you and leads to aerials and itself.

8. Play patient, Kirby is great at punishing mistakes not forcing them.

9. D-air offstage will gimp a good portion of the cast. Keep in mind it starts later than most but it’s out there for a while.

10. Sweetspot the ledge with up-b or not at all.

11. The brick takes a long time to come out of and most people can react to it in time to get out of the way and punish it

12. Hammer is slow, F-air and B-air are both better

13. D-air is a big part of your combos

14. Oh yeah, Use combos that’s a thing kirby can do

15. Kirby has a fast pummel, two or three hits can easily be tacked on for a little extra percent

16. Inhaling your opponent can tip the balance but only in some matchups, i.e. Shulk is great to copy but King DeDeDe... not so much.

17. Kirby's jab comes out frame 1, good for getting out of trouble

18. You do not need center stage like most characters, either you will die from their attack regardless of where you are, or you’ll make it back. If you stay near the edge it just means you can edgeguard them sooner.

19. DO NOT LET BOWSER BREAK YOUR SHIELD

20. you are small

21. you are squishy

22. being small and squishy means it hurts a lot when you get hit hard

23. avoid getting hit hard

Keep all that in mind and you should do just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom