• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby In Teams

SSS

Smash Ace
Alright, kiddos. Since I've recently decided that I'm going BALLS DEEP into competitive Project M, I would like to dissect Kirby to his very roots.
I would ALSO like to talk about Kirbstomp in teams. He is, I feel, very good in doubles. Not just for the obvious power-stealing gimmick, either. His isolate-->gimp game is very good, as is his camp&poke game, and his aerial follow-ups if your teammate knocks them skyward are very good. If you get a teammate who can handle himself relatively well in the 1v2, or who is also good at isolating an opponent, you're good to go.

So here I would like to discuss potential teammates for Kirbstomp, good team stages, and stage strategy.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Well of course there's the Ivy/Kirby combo, Kirby sucks up Ivy multiple times for lots of solarbeams, Ivy heals damage done.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I'd say they synergize well together. She's good at getting people in the air, while he can follow up in the air pretty effectively. They both can sorta camp and poke (though Ivy has been nerfed in that department a little). Ivy's bair is one of the best edge-guarding tools in the game, and Kirby can keep them away from the stage very well. Also I'm seeing plenty of opportunities for a Kirby throw/aerial hit to an Ivy vine whip.

SSS

Smash Ace
I'd say they synergize well together. She's good at getting people in the air, while he can follow up in the air pretty effectively. They both can sorta camp and poke (though Ivy has been nerfed in that department a little). Ivy's bair is one of the best edge-guarding tools in the game, and Kirby can keep them away from the stage very well. Also I'm seeing plenty of opportunities for a Kirby throw/aerial hit to an Ivy vine whip.
Does vine whip still scream? And I'm not sure how they do in the kill department. Kirby seems alright, and I don't have enough Ivy experience to say how she does.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Assuming vine whip is her up-B: yes, it still screams.

Kirby can duck under a lot of projectiles, including m2's shadow ball- might let him synergize a little better with such characters. I don't think he can duck razor leaf, though.

SSS

Smash Ace
Assuming vine whip is her up-B: yes, it still screams.

Kirby can duck under a lot of projectiles, including m2's shadow ball- might let him synergize a little better with such characters. I don't think he can duck razor leaf, though.
Oooooh, what moves CAN he duck under? This is also interesting. Does Mewtwo get any frame advantage from short hopping the shadow ball (like Falco does with lasers)?

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I'm not sure how they do in the kill department. Kirby seems alright, and I don't have enough Ivy experience to say how she does.
Ivy mostly kills off the top, with stuff like up-b and up-smash, although down-smash or nair/bair and then gimp is good too.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Kirby / Kirby is the only team I need. Let's go :awesome:

Kirby can duck under the Star Fox lasers, ZSS shot.... actually, I think a better list might be what he CAN'T duck under. Kirby gets pretty darn flat.

I think Kirby could do well with either another air dominating character to combo each other or a ground character that is good for launching them into the air. Depending on how you want to use Inhale/Copy, you can either look for a Kirby power you'd want to use (I personally like Mario's for the extra projectile that isn't a straight path) or a character that can help you inhale the enemy team easier.

SSS

Smash Ace
or a character that can help you inhale the enemy team easier.
I would rather have a teammate with a good power. Not only does it give you guys a consistent playstyle that you can practice with, having a teammate that only helps you absorb the opponents becomes useless when you have to fight that Marth/Captain Falcon team.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I would rather have a teammate with a good power. Not only does it give you guys a consistent playstyle that you can practice with, having a teammate that only helps you absorb the opponents becomes useless when you have to fight that Marth/Captain Falcon team.
Mario hat it is, then. Such an awesome looking Kirby hat. Plus projectiles...

Ginge

Smash Ace
Mario has a very good projectile for Kirby, I will agree. So does Zero Suit. So many throw-->blaster shenanigans.
Just tried out Mario/Kirby as a team with a CPU partner. It seems pretty good to me. Also, have you ever seen Kirby get caped while doing his Up-Taunt? He just keeps on dancing. :D

Rizner

Smash Ace
Kirby + MK/Snake/Ivy/Samus/Mario are ones that come to mind first. Then you have ones like Ness or game and watch (assuming kirby bacon still fills buckets, untested).

Personally, I think Kirby is good at filling with pretty much any character. It might be easier to see who he wouldn't fit well with (maybe Roy, as you can't really help him and his power isn't that great on Kirby?)

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
The power gained is pretty much completely irrelevant (barring Metaknight until the patch, or Ivy), I think, because the suck is so good. You're much better off thinking about what your ally's comfortable playing, and with what you're least likely to get in one another's way. Fox is probably great, for example. He's great in general, can laser over your head (though that'll rarely be relevant), and set up gimps for you with his shine.

Big, slow characters (mewtwo, bowser, DK, ganon, D3) will also likely find a good partner in Kirby, because if they get overwhelmed by some silly combo bs, it's super easy for Kirby to set himself on fire and address the problem.

In general, with Kirby's mobility and surplus of whimsy, I think pretty much any partner with a decent amount of killing power is probably OK.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Unless you have on your team/are against a Wario, a Meta, or an Ivy, use the suck to set up for combos with your teammates, or for gimping, or even kirbycide.

SSS

Smash Ace
Unless you have on your team/are against a Wario, a Meta, or an Ivy, use the suck to set up for combos with your teammates, or for gimping, or even kirbycide.
Mmmm but Mario fireballs.

Guys. Suck-->jump off the ledge. They mash out, then you mash jump and footstool at the same time, bouncing on their head. Grab the ledge, and if they somehow come back, dair-->mash footstool and jump again.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Mmmm but Mario fireballs.

Guys. Suck-->jump off the ledge. They mash out, then you mash jump and footstool at the same time, bouncing on their head. Grab the ledge, and if they somehow come back, dair-->mash footstool and jump again.
brb gonna ruin my brother's life with this

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Wolf/Kirby. I'm not taking suck into account.

Wolf excels with his Shine, juggle shenanigans, excellent combo game and above-average KO-power at getting people offstage, or into the air, right where Kirby wants them.

SSS

Smash Ace
Wolf/Kirby. I'm not taking suck into account.

Wolf excels with his Shine, juggle shenanigans, excellent combo game and above-average KO-power at getting people offstage, or into the air, right where Kirby wants them.
Wolf is good. Very good as just a character in general. I've wanted to play as him but he and I don't really flow. Oh, well. I like Wolf and I agree he could aid Kirby very well.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Don't forget you can do the: swallow /dead/ teammate who's recovery can't make it and then eat them for their hat and they get an extra boost up as well as an extra Up-B.

So:
- Teammate's recovery can't make it
- Kirby hop off stage and swallow teammate
- Kirby takes their hat and boosts them up
(???) Kirby uses teammate's hat to aid recovery (pit's arrows? or even snake's grenades. Kirby toss grenade up then jump grab it and DI towards stage when it explodes for massive height)
- Kirby recovers with teammate.

i think a spacie in general will work great with kirby...
Dude, standing Kirby ganster laser + SH Falco spam laser. :troll:

Or maybe even footstool assisted pillaring... Falco shines the enemy up, Kirby footstools so they don't go anywhere. Repeat.

MaxThunder

PM Support
i think you could fit in a falco laser under the second laser when kirby is doing full hop triple lasers=P...

Top Bottom