• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby in Doubles?

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Hey everyone, I recently decided to play Kirby in doubles over the characters I normally play for singles. I like Falco in some situations, but I decided I need a different character for 2v2 and I want to play Kirby.

Anyway, I'd like to discuss Kirby's doubles potential. Who are the characters he teams up great with? Who are the ones to avoid? As a Kirby player in doubles, what do you have to look out for?

Also being more specific, how would Kirby do teamed up with G&W, Marth, Dedede or Diddy? Those are the characters my friends still in town during the school year main. Also I should note that one of my buddies has a pretty good pocket Ness that seems to do pretty well in dubs.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby's a very good doubles partner. He can recover from anywhere, help a friend recover if he's lost his jumps and upB, all his throws send opponents upwards for your friend to punish, has two powerful moves to use when the opponent gets a grab (grounded hammer, and 2nd hit of aerial hammer), his metagame doesn't revolve around projectiles (which would mess up most teams, since you have to be careful not to hit your friend and he'll be trying to approach), his gimping ability is pretty amazing... Also, he doesn't suffer from his MU weaknesses, since having a friend help him with his worst MUs essentially invalidates them (no more getting CG'd by ICs for example), and the same thing goes for the opponent (Kirby's bair is a good GTFO move if the opponent is being harassed by their worst MUs). Kirby also has his fsmash for punishing opponents who commit to a punish against your friend. He also doesn't have any bad stages, he does good anywhere. There's a lot of pros for teaming up with Kirby!

As for the cons, well uhh... He's light, so without looking out you could get killed early. He's slow, so it may take him a while to come in and help you out if you're on the other side of the stage.

IMO, he's like a non-broken MK. No fast ground speed, no broken planking, no gimping game that's TOO strong... I dunno what else to add onto this.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
That's all good to know! If you were playing as Kirby, who would you want to team up with in a doubles game if your friend could play as anyone in the SSBB cast? Or is Kirby well rounded enough to be a good teamup with most of the characters in the game?

Since most of the people in my crew don't really have one specific doubles partner, I'm trying to figure out who I should team up with... I'm also trying to come up with a way to evolve a communication system to catch the level of teamwork in Brawl up to other competitive games. I've always had the feeling that Brawl doubles has never hit its potential and is behind other competitive games when it comes to teamwork... Putting all these things together will be interesting, but now I just need to find my partner for tournaments and get some experience before I can work on a lot of that.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Personally, I like good abilities. LOL. MK, Falco, ZSS, Pikachu, Wolf, Mario, Lucario, R.O.B., DK, Samus, D3, Snake, Luigi, etc... Anyone with a good ability is GREAT for Kirby because he gets a free ability instead of having to work for it.

If you're not big on abilities, I think MK, GW, Falco, ZSS, R.O.B., DK, Snake, Wario, Ike, D3, Marth, Wolf, and Luigi are probably some of your best bets for teams. I don't think Sonic, Link, Ness, Lucas, and Pokémon Trainer are good partners for Kirby. The rest are really personal preference. LOL

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh, Double Kirby actually isn't that bad of a team. LOL.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Personally, I like good abilities. LOL. MK, Falco, ZSS, Pikachu, Wolf, Mario, Lucario, R.O.B., DK, Samus, D3, Snake, Luigi, etc... Anyone with a good ability is GREAT for Kirby because he gets a free ability instead of having to work for it.

If you're not big on abilities, I think MK, GW, Falco, ZSS, R.O.B., DK, Snake, Wario, Ike, D3, Marth, Wolf, and Luigi are probably some of your best bets for teams. I don't think Sonic, Link, Ness, Lucas, and Pokémon Trainer are good partners for Kirby. The rest are really personal preference. LOL

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh, Double Kirby actually isn't that bad of a team. LOL.
In other words... Kirby's well-rounded enough to do good with any character in the game. :bee:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
1. You can copy lasers, which, coupled with Kirby properties, can be a reeeeal pain

2. Kirby doesn't get in the way of lasers via crouching

3. Kirby helps out Falco's mediocre recovery by having the ability to go save his ****

4. Out of grab options for both are amazing

5. Thanks!

It's just really fun playing doubles with a Falco. I'm going to a tourney, so I'll of course be playing some kirby and whatnot. I'll see if I can't get any doubles matches with my pal playing Falco

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I like kirby but to this day im convinced that to this day that all kirby on internet are ******* becuase

1.they alway kirbycide spam special like down b till u die
2.they always pick bridge final dest temple
3.run and hide
4.spam abilitys they copy from you
5. they have no skill in general

I like kirby though its the spam that pisses me off he is a personal favorite and i use him like a skilled player (No spam)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You should stop focusing on the things other kirby mainers do and focus on how you can solve the problem. And this problem is not so hard to solve.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
All the skilled players spam, it's normal. Some attacks, combos, ATs, whatever, are so good it's your bes option even if you use it all the time. The unskilled players are the ones who fall for the same thing over and over again then they call it cheap, when those kind of things are easily beatable.

And what does this have to do with Kirby in doubles again?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I like kirby but to this day im convinced that to this day that all kirby on internet are ******* becuase

1.they alway kirbycide spam special like down b till u die
2.they always pick bridge final dest temple
3.run and hide
4.spam abilitys they copy from you
5. they have no skill in general

I like kirby though its the spam that pisses me off he is a personal favorite and i use him like a skilled player (No spam)
You reeeally gotta get off Basic Brawl...

1. You can copy lasers, which, coupled with Kirby properties, can be a reeeeal pain

2. Kirby doesn't get in the way of lasers via crouching

3. Kirby helps out Falco's mediocre recovery by having the ability to go save his ****

4. Out of grab options for both are amazing

5. Thanks!

It's just really fun playing doubles with a Falco. I'm going to a tourney, so I'll of course be playing some kirby and whatnot. I'll see if I can't get any doubles matches with my pal playing Falco
^^^This^^^

I love having Falco's lasers! Heck Kirby can just do grounded lasers while Falco SHDL's. It's a beautiful thing!!! Their grab game is amazing!

Edit: Oh, and don't forget Snake! Running around with a C4 attached to your forehead is hilarious! Talk about Kirbycidal. :laugh:

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Question? Have of you kirbys teamed with a Falcon before? and are any kirbys in MD/VA or near that area want to team? I have Exp. from teaming with chu so im no where near a noob in this team I know how to kill,set-up kills,help and support but im trying to find that right partner.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Kirby in doubles is a double edge sword.

He's better in a sense he can't be camped as easily, and can possibly kill easier with all the action going on.

However what I found to really work against him is his poor air mobility. When you get knocked off the stage the time it takes to make it back leaves your partner open to 2 on 1 assault.

Still, I will agree he can be useful when paired with an appropriate character.

Top Bottom