• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Hat tier list

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Last edited:

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I also feel like I need better opinions on the Mii’s
Obviously gunner should stay the same but I don’t know about brawler or sword fighter

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
First let's establish which Copy abilities are better in Ultimate and why:

:ultbowser:Now link into itself proper, making it difficult to impossible to escape at close range. when it was quite easy in Smash 4. Damage is also marginally increased.
:ultbowserjr:Startup and endlag improved a few frames each. Minimum Damage also improved
:ultfalcon:Six frames of endlag shaved off the non reversed version.
:ultcloud:Seven frames of endlag shaved off the grounded version.
:ultdiddy:Now has an additional hitbox at melee range for more damage. Fires two frames faster but the same total frame count.
:ultdk:Cancelling charge into shield takes four frames instead of eight. Reaches full charge about 15% faster. Won't induce special fall when used in the air.
:ultdoc:Endlag reduced by three. I also expect the projectile lasts longer just like Mario's does.
:ultduckhunt: Deals more damage. Can continue manipulating can after eighth shot as it is priming for an explosion.
:ultfalco:Shoots three frames sooner and fourteen frames less endlag when you stop shooting.
:ultfox:Endlag reduced by three when you stop shooting
:ultgreninja:Endlag reduced by four on full charge shuriken
:ultike:Horizontal range increases at full charge.
:ultjigglypuff:Endlag on hit reduced. Now passes through shields allowing you to score multiple hits. Can now drift and grab ledges after a rebound helpless state, so the move is much safer to use offstage.
:ultkingdedede:Involuntarily spits back inhaled projectiles
:ultlink:Two frames shaved off the startup. Arrows also stick into the ground just like this version of Link's.
:ultlittlemac:Slightly less minimum charge time before you're allowed to punch. Can also turn the other direction for a punch.
:ultlucario:Full charge has two less startup and 3 less endlag. Charging hitbox begins a bit sooner as well.
:ultlucas:Frozen targets get launched horizontally instead of vertically. Resulting in extremely early kills or at least forcing a low recovery. This attack is kind of busted, honestly.
:ultmario:Three less endlag. Fireballs also last 18 frames longer.
:ultmetaknight:Now a horizontally launching single hit instead of multihit. Less damage potential, but a pretty great air combo finisher offstage since you can recover back onto the stage with it.
:ultmewtwo:Full charge comes out five frames sooner. Maximum Damage increased and you can cancel charge state sooner.
:ultbrawler:Shot Put has twelve frames less endlag. You always get this move, and not the other two options if the Brawler selected them.
:ultgunner:Reaches full charge about 10% sooner. Minimum and maximum damage increased. You always get this move, and not the other two options if the Gunner selected them.
:ultswordfighter:Projectile comes out three frames sooner and seven frames less endlag, but is no longer a multihit.
:ultness:Endlag reduced by four frames and reaches full charge about 15% faster. Maximum damage also reduced significantly.
:ultpalutena:Shots begin five frames sooner
:ultpikachu:Six frames less endlag
:ultpit:/:ultdarkpit:Fires four frames sooner and the endlag on the ground is improved by eight.
:ultrob:Full charge beam does 5% more damage
:ultrobin:All partial charge states fire three frames sooner, and about as much reduced from their endlag in addition. Arcthunder only traps an opponent for about half as long though and Thoron is always the extended version as well as starting three frames later. So in general Thunder and Elthunder are better to spam, Arcthunder is harder to use, and Thoron is laggier if you miss.
:ultroy:/:ultchrom:Can turn around before you release.
:ultsamus: Deals more damage and has notably less endlag after firing. Also reaches full charge about 10% faster.
:ultshulk:Kind of debatable. The Arts last six seconds instead of sixteen but you can initiate them as fast as immediately rather than manually cycling and then waiting for an activation. Also apparently these can be activated when you're getting comboed? Ask a Shulk main.
:ultsonic:Endlag on hit reduced by five. Can fire sooner and can delay the attack way later. Damage also increased at all levels of charge.
:ulttoonlink:Two frames less endlag
:ultwario:Minimum inhale time slightly increased, but each chomp heals you.
:ultyoshi:Starts two frames sooner, and can act eleven frames sooner after a successful eat
:ultzelda:Begins hitting two frames sooner

And Copy abilities that are worse:
:ultbayonetta:Takes twelve frames longer to reach full charge and cannot shield cancel until then. Endlag also increased by 5
:ultcorrin:I don't know the full details on this one but Corrin player keep mentioning reduced stun time
:ultgnw: Kind of debatable whether this is a nerf, but projectiles fire slower in exchange for more damage.
:ultpacman:Another debatable move with a bunch of changes. The gist of it is it reaches full charge a bit sooner. Three less frames of endlag on a throw. But fruit properties are apparently changed in ways I don't understand and it has pac man players livid so I'm filing this under nerf.
:ultsheik:Also debatable. Needles deal less damage and knockback but endlag is reduced to somewhat compensate.

Copy abilities that are seemingly unchanged:
:ultganondorf::ultluigi::ultmarth:/:ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultolimar::ultpeach::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:

There are probably a lot of details I missed, but this is what I personally can confirm for the benefit of veteran players.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd say the copy abilities that can rack up serious damage fast like :ultbowser: but him at a serious advantage. Projectile copy abilities like the Links, mewtwo, etc. are also useful since Khurbs lacks any form of a reliable projectile. Less potent ones like The Marths or Dedede's only benefit him based on the matchup and the opponent's skill (although I did win one game using Ike's neutral B).

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I’m mean you both made very good points, but regardless of the buffs,
Mac, ness, and bowser jr, are just bad abilities to have

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Here's my tier list with explanations where I think they're warranted.

S Tier - Kirby can use these moves better than them
:ultshulk::ultolimar:
A Tier
:ultsamus::ultlucario::ultwiifittrainer::ultgunner::ultmewtwo: It is so game changing when Kirby doesn't have to approach as he charges these projectiles. He can also combo into these attacks, just to give himself breathing room to charge up again. Samus is the most deadly of the bunch, but I think they're all worthy of A Tier.
:ultsnake:Good zoning tool, and Kirby can debatably make great use of grenade tech.

B Tier - Take them if you can get them, but don't act too hungry.
:ultbowser:This move has insane damage output, 30-40% damage if you catch them at close range and is no longer unsafe on hit. You could menace Bowser's recovery in Smash 4 for free damage but it's not so in Ultimate, they gave his Up B a protective hitbox that lets him travel through the flames.It can be used to somewhat cover ledge options however, and will hit him hanging on the ledge as well.
:ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultrob::ultbrawler::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmegaman::ultswordfighter:Low risk projectile to somewhat force approaches or at least tack on some free damage. Might also menace their recoveries from onstage to boot. These moves vary in quality, but so do the matchups, and they all seem useful to have if you can get them.
:ultvillager:Pocketing and throwing Lloyds and slingshots back is about the most mileage this grants Kirby in a 1v1 scenario. Pocketing a bowling ball can be great but is unlikely. Mainly gets B tier due to disrupting Villager's zoning potential.
:ultzelda:Good combo break tool and reflecting Phantom is great. Just remember Phantoms have variable activation windows depending on what Zelda wants, so you're still at risk of getting hit if your timing prediction was off. May cause Zelda to avoid using Phantoms out of fear, which is great news for Kirby as well.
:ultkrool:
:ultdk:I just like forcing the approach, and it's nice to have a move strong enough to kill in the air that isn't as laggy as hammer. Safe on block too, so it can substitute for your smash attacks and cheese early kills on a read.
:ultduckhunt:Another frame 1 combo break tool (though at the cost of health) and a great move in its own right.

C Tier - Starting to debate whether you want this over Inhale
:ultwario:One of the greatest features of this move was covering ledge options, but now consistently loses to ledge attack in Ultimate. All in all this move is Inhale but starts up faster and grants some healing.
:ultyoshi:Yoshi's is slow but has great damage potential when successful.
:ultsquirtle:Can be used to push opponent offstage for an edgeguard, but I didn't have as much mileage with Fthrow > Water Gun as I expected.
:ultivysaur:Good finisher for an Utlit string.
:ultcharizard:Not as good at racking up damage as Bowser's.
:ultpit:Two ways to reflect, though it could menace him offstage somewhat.
:ultridley:
:ultzss:
:ultfalco::ultwolf:Reflectors.
:ultmarth::ultlucina:
:ultluigi::ultdoc:Low damage, low knockback, easy to avoid. Can kind of camp Doc mostly due to how slow he is, but he could just cape them back.
:ultisabelle:The only projectiles she has are slingshots or an activated Lloyd Trap. Kirby can sit back and eat slingshots without putting himself at risk of followup attacks until she starts approaching with them. What makes Pocket great however is how easily you can jump on top of the trap with pocket, forcing an activation. That not only nullifies the danger of the trap, but can give you a very high damage tool that would be insane for Kirby if he had any aerials that could kill since he can followup off a trap for up to 60% damage. What keeps this in C Tier is just that Isabelle can just stop using Traps once she's been inhaled and that move isn't central enough to her gameplay for it to hurt too bad
:ultrobin:The spamming ends when you run out of charges, but these attacks can really menace Robin
:ultinkling:Similar to Robin, you can't refill on ink, but you start with a lot, and you can safely spam from a distance and the Ink debuff is nice for Kirby
:ultbayonetta:
:ultincineroar:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy:One of the slower counters of the game
:ultcloud::ultdiddy::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja:
:ultrosalina:Has a long cooldown after use but good damage

D Tier - Has few applications, especially in this 1v1 matchup
:ultlittlemac:Frame 1 light armor lets you avoid combos you otherwise couldn't with your once-per-airtime airdodge. However, Mac isn't much of a low knockback combo monster. The only combo you can use this to avoid are his strings into Up B for a very hard punish, which stone already can do. And Inhale is just such an effective tool against Mac that this isn't much of a contest.
:ultmario:Same drawbacks as Luigi/Doc but Mario's better movement stats give him a much easier time getting around this move.
:ultkingdedede:Spitting back gordos is fun but you can just as easily eat them. Debatably ranks C Tier since it's a slight upgrade to the base Inhale in terms of damage dealt but I'm not impressed.
:ultgnw:He can reflect these back now and thus isn't very threatened by this mediocre wall of projectiles.
:ultpalutena:Still slow enough that she can easily reflect them back
:ultfox:Can close distance well enough to deal with his own gun, unlike Falco/Wolf. Plus reflector.
:ultsheik: Similar to Fox, except you tack on even less damage now.
:ultdarkpit:Not as good as Pit's. Also two means of reflecting it.

E Tier- Don't bother
:ultfalcon::ultganondorf:
:ultjigglypuff:Yes this move has many improvements, but is only effective against opponents that don't know how to deal with it. Jigglypuff mains can work out strategies to respond to Rollout shield pressure.
:ultryu::ultken:Hadoken is low damage and very laggy. Only gets use from Ken/Ryu since they can cancel directly into this for a combo finisher, Kirby cannot.
:ultroy::ultchrom::ultike:
:ultkirby:
:ultness::ultlucas:I'm a fan of these moves, but these two can magnet them. But since Lucas's move is so ridiculous I could see arguments for a higher tier in his case.
:ulticeclimbers:Since the AI climber is inactive when the player Climber is grabbed, Inhale can be very useful for separating them. And Kirby's ice shot is just the puniest projectile you could ask for. Ice Shot is debatably useless even when there are two climbers doubling its output which Kirby cannot benefit from.

? Tier Needs labbing for usefulness
:ultmetaknight::ultpacman::ultsonic:

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Two ways to reflect, though it could menace him offstage somewhat.
I'd bump this up a tier since those reflections are purely situational. Pit is never going to use side B solely for the purpose of reflecting one arrow and down B doesn't last forever. Only an experienced Pit/Dark Pit player will react in time with down B to reflect the arrow back. It's a good bonus and on par with the Links if you ask me.

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Here's my tier list with explanations where I think they're warranted.

A Tier
:ultsamus::ultlucario::ultwiifittrainer::ultgunner::ultmewtwo: It is so game changing when Kirby doesn't have to approach as he charges these projectiles. He can also combo into these attacks, just to give himself breathing room to charge up again. Samus is the most deadly of the bunch, but I think they're all worthy of A Tier.
:ultsnake:Good zoning tool, and Kirby can debatably make great use of grenade tech.

I find mii gunner bad because two/thirds chance that they can reflect or absorb it, unless the mii’s can’t have custom move sets online? (I don’t know I don’t play mii’s)

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I find mii gunner bad because two/thirds chance that they can reflect or absorb it, unless the mii’s can’t have custom move sets online? (I don’t know I don’t play mii’s)
Yeah you can take custom miis online. And while I did think about Gunner and Mewtwo's reflectors, I don't think it's an issue for the charge up moves. If you're winding up Gunner's charge shot and then they sit in reflector across the stage you just get a full charge for free. Your shots are most effective at close range anyway, where they cannot react and must make a read. Or just combo the shot off a late n-air or something. Reflectors are a much bigger deal on the regular projectiles in which you cannot change the shot's timing or trajectory.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby combos with PAC-MAN's fruit might not be a thing but at least he gets a projectile off of it, so I wouldn't sleep on it too much.

RaysFTW

Smash Rookie
Bing... I didn't know you people existed. I mean, look what it did to your link. lol

Also, just my two cents but DK's power is really good for Kirby because there are so many ways to combo into it. Other than that, any that can give him decent range to make closing in easier like Mario's fireball, Pikachu's thunder jolt, etc. is very nice. Samus' charged shot is great for its quick shot to close distance and its fully charged shot for its kill power.

Last edited:

Waddle!

Smash Rookie
I love the way Kirby's Meta Knight mask looks on him when he inhales MK, but I don't think MK's neutral special does him much good. It isn't the multi hit nightmare it was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Good for combo finishes near the edge of the screen for MK, I dunno about Kirby.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im a not a competitive player so let me say this:
I think its super Cursed that when Kirby Absorbs Link he uses a Bow considering This Ability exists:

Because i know no better place to talk About this How many Of you know kirbys Actual Copy Abilitys?

Top Bottom