• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
lol I find it hilarious that weather Oversteps is in NorCal or SoCal, he ends up playing against 1 of the 3 active Kirby mains in California.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Here is my pool for The Big House 4:

Pool D13

Bizzarro Flame (CA)
Beano (MI)
DarkLouis (OH)
SLAM (MI)
Migz (IL)
kaz sucks (IN)
exJORDANary (MI)

I know Bizzarro Flame and I recognize DarkLouis's name from the Brawl days, but I don't really know who anyone else is. Anyone have any insight?

Dodger

Smash Ace
I don't know Cereal Rabbit, G&W is a rough match up for Kirby. Particularly Snap's. (He brutalized me at a low tier tourney several years ago... =)

Master Shake: RE: Samus, man I wish my set vs. Sung from awhile back had been recorded you might have been able to glean a few things from it. I don't remember too much and honestly, I don't think I'm nearly as good as the other Kirbys here, but the one thing I do remember was I was able to get quite a bit of mileage out of charge shot. It flustered him so much that I'm almost positive he expected me to copy the ability on the final stock, except I went for the Kirbycide... >=)

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Master Shake: RE: Samus, man I wish my set vs. Sung from awhile back had been recorded you might have been able to glean a few things from it. I don't remember too much and honestly, I don't think I'm nearly as good as the other Kirbys here, but the one thing I do remember was I was able to get quite a bit of mileage out of charge shot. It flustered him so much that I'm almost positive he expected me to copy the ability on the final stock, except I went for the Kirbycide... >=)
Yup, sometimes mindgames are just awesome like that. :3

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
You know, I wish I brought my streaming equipment with me to my college's game club today, I was playing with two other guys in a King of the Hill style round robin and I domintated several games with my Kirby, and these where the only guys there who had legit tech-skill that I knew of.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Good **** Triple R. I saw you play Bizzaro live. You might not have won, but you did a damn fine job.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. Ended up getting 65th out of 570. I'll take it as this was my first ever national. Had fun and was definitely worth it. Will have more details later.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to Shell Shocked 16 on Saturday. I plan on going Kirby all tournament. Any tips or things I should practice?
Also, is there anyone here that plans on going?

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
There are a million things that Kirby can do, but we don't need that many new threads to pop up. In order to discuss Kirby's combos, t!mmy's Competitive Kirby Guide, framerates, etc. without making a new thread for each individual detail, I've made a General Discussion of sorts for all things Kirby (and other characters if we're discussing strategies).

Kirby FTW.
going to be honest i never really understood why people considered kirby bad in this game hes not that bad in my opinion

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
going to be honest i never really understood why people considered kirby bad in this game hes not that bad in my opinion
Kirby may not be the best, but he's at least he has some pretty good options against characters like Bowser, Falcon, Ganon, and maaaaybe even Donkey Kong. Maybe not the best counter to them, but certainly better against them than people make him out to be.

Dodger

Smash Ace
I took a game off ROFL at this week's SSS!!! (ROFL is one of SoCal's best Luigis.)

=)

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
That's no small feat, good stuff Dodger!

I've been putting in some work too lately. I got 2nd out of 25 at an SDSU tournament last week. I played Kirby in almost every game except a few where I went Marth and ICs.
I also got top 8 at a slightly larger tournament last month. I played as Kirby unless I had to play against a Marth. I took a game off of a good Falco with Kirby, but I had to switch to ICs after he laser camped me in game two :(

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to consider giving up on Kirby, but I've been put in so much time trying to figure out things and I don't want my efforts to have gone to waste. :/

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Follow your heart man, it's the only ironclad rule.

EDIT: also kirby is bad so there's that

Last edited:

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
Last week was a busy week for me. I went to 3 tournaments and one crazy smashfest.
I placed 5th at a low tier tourney, which was honestly disappointing for me. I lost to Squid's crazy ness and DSF's zelda.

Next was the SDSU biweekly. I played Kirby in most my sets but not in every game. In most my sets I would win game one as kirby then loose game two on either FD or PS ( why is PS still tourney legal? ). I usually switch to one of my many secondaries if I drop a game. A few of my matches were recorded from this tournament, so I'll post them later.

The next day my kirby took 5 stocks in a crew battle. I took 4 stocks from a fox, and 1 from a puff. Now that I've played multiple puff players, I can say that it's a very winnable MU for kirby imo.

I entered doubles as kirby with BlackPowerRanger's Falcon at Hitboxed Dozen yesterday. We took out a few very strong teams, but our progress stalled once we met a double fox team (yuck!). We placed 5th out of 12.
http://sdmelee.challonge.com/hb5Doubles
I played ICs in most of my singles bracket matches yesterday. I did however use kirby vs SD's famed shiek player Rickety during winners round 2. I got a jv 2 against him in game one :) I didn't want to give him the chance to adapt to the kirby matchup, so I switched to ICs for the rest of the set. Rickety got his revenge on me in looser's round 5 though. My kirby was one stock away from bringing the set to game three, but I came up short.

As much as I would like to go all kirby all the time, it's just too difficult to deal with getting CPed to FD or PS all of the time. Also the fox MU is dumb.

gijn

Smash Cadet
I main Zelda and used Kirby at the weekend to CP Falcon it didn't work :/ ... how do I do it properly? I was just fairing and trying to dthrow pivot jab lock people on the floor because it looks cool..

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
I main Zelda and used Kirby at the weekend to CP Falcon it didn't work :/ ... how do I do it properly? I was just fairing and trying to dthrow pivot jab lock people on the floor because it looks cool..
Falcon has a hard time approaching if kirby is ducking. Falcon's Nair and Bair aren't much of a threat when kirby ducks, and falcon Fairs are difficult and risky to attempt as well. Falcon's up air is no threat at all when ducking and you don't need to worry about getting grabbed either. Dair is the only real offensive threat Falcon can muster against a crouching Kirby, and I recommend ducking under platforms to make it even more difficult for Falcon to land precious Dairs. If Falcon starts getting good Dair reads on you, wall him out with a few Bairs.
This MU is just about even and is very fun for Kirby, but it takes practice to really get it down. If you need more info you should check out the match up thread :)

Dodger

Smash Ace
Eh I've lost to Pichu's NOT being played by M2K...

In other news, I made it out of Pools at the last Mayhem! (Went 2 and Out in the bracket, but hey, I'm not complaining.)

Last edited:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That's me. I won Apex.

EDIT: Seriously though, I had the trophy with me at my university today on the way to give it back to Kevin and I convinced some scrubs that I won Apex using Kirby. I was really hoping one of them would say "You aren't Dr. PeePee" so I could say "I just look different in person".

Last edited:

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure whether this is a new question, but I'll just ask it anyways: If I want to do a swallow and starburp my opponent on dreamland under the stage, thus pineappling him or her. Here's what I cannot figure out: when I do this against a computer, they always kind of bend up back to the ledge without ever having been pineappled to begin with. Is this just a AI thing?

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
tbh don't pineapple, you might as well just go down with them and either they'll break out and die and you can get back to the stage or theyll die then you can jump up to the stage

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
My dedication to playing Kirby in this game... Egh, I gotta get into some tournaments eventually, my friend plays a damn good Fox and Sheik, and while I can rock them(and about anyone else in Melee that's not named Link), I just want to make Kirby look amazing and win some big stuff.

Or some small stuff, and by that I mean tourneys, not prizes or anything, I just wanna win with the pink puffball...

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
My dedication to playing Kirby in this game... Egh, I gotta get into some tournaments eventually, my friend plays a damn good Fox and Sheik, and while I can rock them(and about anyone else in Melee that's not named Link), I just want to make Kirby look amazing and win some big stuff.

Or some small stuff, and by that I mean tourneys, not prizes or anything, I just wanna win with the pink puffball...
Man, that's awesome. Keep on going, we're all in the same boat I guess. :kirby:

Top Bottom