• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
Yo, midwest player here. ICs main but been taking Kirby pretty seriously lately. Is there an active discord or something where folks who play this character seriously talk about MUs and stuff?

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
I'm a little new but I wanna get into Kirby in melee, can anyone point me to some general info about play?

(Also Side note the Kirby forums are way more active than bowser forums, what does that say?)

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Of course he is, we just need to get our stuff together like the ganon board and start figuring out how to take down our top threats. Those guys are over there everyday labbing different stuff and trying to find out how to progress. Since Kirby hit rock bottom this year... why not band together and try to find out his potential?

I've been maining Ganon in my area for about a year, I started having Kirby and Shiek as my secondaries and the things I've learned from Shiek have helped me progress with kirby a lot. I've taken sets off of the second and third best players in the region.
I also have a Ganon secondary, so tops, I'm trying to get into kirby, and the Bowsers are trying our hardest to lab but there are really only three of us, and the pros have basically abandoned it. So... Eh

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Kirby is a character who is dependent on microspacing and matchup knowledge to have success. Spacing bairs well is a skill that takes some time to develop. And learning to use Kirby's tilts and wavedash -> dash dance grab is integral to becoming proficient as his neutral. It's also very helpful if you can get a good read on when your opponent wants to grab, as many characters' grabs can be crouched under.

For grabs, you mostly want to use uthrow as it does the most (10%) damage, and cannot be mashed out of. The exceptions are usually when you are on a platform or you grab the opponent by the ledge (d-throw is better near the ledge because the tech roll options are restricted).

Last edited:

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
D-throw to D-smash, what does it cover and what does it not cover? I feel like it calls out tech in place and missed techs, but I don't know if it is fast enough to catch a roll depending on the position.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's usually only fast enough if you do it as a read. However, if they DI to one side of you and tech roll through you, it's easier to react. The problem is that if you get the hitbox near Kirby's toes, it will hit them away from you and you won't get any extra followup.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Thread seems super dead but I guess we'll see.

Can anyone give me an explanation of why Kirby players fair between double-jumps while recovering? I'm under the impression that it's supposed to give you a little more distance, and I was wondering what mechanic is involved.

Dodger

Smash Ace
You get slightly more horizontal distance when you fair. (I used to think that you didn't get any extra distance, the fairs just help you get the most distance from your jump but I believe someone uploaded a video that proved you do go farther horizontally. Also, you gain some height from up airing)

Dodger

Smash Ace
If anyone still reads this board, here's a video of me getting absolutely stomped on by Smashdaddy. This set notwithstanding, I actually did not too bad at this tourney (Even Bigger Balc) I won winners R1, played winners R2 on stream (ugh) and then won like 3 sets in losers until finally losing to a Ganon by the name of Epic Murloc who placed 3rd at the most recent SoCal Arcadian.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/285599002

Austria 2.0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Please don't.
3DS FC
1234-5678-9012
Switch FC
SW 1234 4321 1244
Alright, so this is the Kirby discussion thread…?

I own at Melee with Kirby; even if he's dead last on the tier list doesn't mean I hate him! (Nessy deserves that spot BTW)

Too bad he doesn't do “hammer barrel roll” in Brawl anymore.

I still taunt Nessy players when they lose.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Did that guy just say Ness should be lower than Kirby on the Melee Tier list?
I came here for April Fool's Day fun, but his post was January.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm a little new but I wanna get into Kirby in melee, can anyone point me to some general info about play?

(Also Side note the Kirby forums are way more active than bowser forums, what does that say?)
That kirby is a really fun casual pick?
Kirby is my Favourite Character in Ultimate Gameplay wise!
Multiple jumps and really unga bunga attacks!

Top Bottom