• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Kirby Fighters - A Taste of Smash Bros 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Alright: I just purchased the game I can safely say that it is A LOT closer to Smash Bros. than the Cartoon Network game. The physics are probably the best I have ever seen in a Smash Bros. clone, maybe even beating out PlayStation All-Stars. I wish it was possible to jump with analog-up, but that is not too big of a deal. Definitely go for Kirby over the Cartoon Network game if you want a demo of what Smash might be like on the 3DS.

I was referring to the Cartoon Network game.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Smash Bros is pretty much an expanded version of Kirby mechanics, that feels especially true when playing 64 or Subspace Emissary in Brawl. So it's not too surprising.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I mean yeah in a sense, but the game isn't being developed by the same team so, also no.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wasn't the HAL Kirby team in charge of 64 and Melee?
But theyre not in charge of Smash 4, and they don't have Namco helping them out. Kirby Fighters is a sub-game in a game not focused around fighting. The HAL workers from 1999 and 2001 may still not be working with HAL at this point.

But Smash is pretty obviously similar to Kirby, so yeah... it will play similar to Smash, but not Smash 4 moreso than any other Smash title and I only mean similar.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
But theyre not in charge of Smash 4, and they don't have Namco helping them out. Kirby Fighters is a sub-game in a game not focused around fighting. The HAL workers from 1999 and 2001 may still not be working with HAL at this point.

But Smash is pretty obviously similar to Kirby, so yeah... it will play similar to Smash, but not Smash 4 moreso than any other Smash title and I only mean similar.
Gotta say though, Kirby fighters turned out respectively. It's pretty well balanced aside from the nigh-worthless archer.

Speaking of which, I was bored and made a tier list.

Top (In no particular order)
Cutter
Fighter
Parasol

Mid
Beam
Bomb (This sucker is basically unbeatable on Castle Lololo, but it's banned anyway.:laugh:)
Sword
Hammer

Low
Ninja
Whip

Gannondorf Bottom
Archer

Thoughts?

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Gotta say though, Kirby fighters turned out respectively. It's pretty well balanced aside from the nigh-worthless archer.

(insert tier list here)
Is there a big community for Kirby Fighters?

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet

Cutter
Fighter
Parasol

Mid
Beam
Bomb (This sucker is basically unbeatable on Castle Lololo, but it's banned anyway.:laugh:)
Sword
Hammer

Low
Ninja
Whip

Gannondorf Bottom
Archer

Thoughts?
I agree with everything here, with the exception of archer's lowness. Have you tried his dash-jump-attack? spamming it is quite useful.

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
I can't get a hang of Cutter, and I personally don't like it.

Bomb and Archer are my mains. All those bombs and arrows everywhere are my favorite.

If only I could use Stone.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Is there a big community for Kirby Fighters?
If by 'big community' you mean two smash-nuts who have enough free time to debate a tier list, then yes. :laugh:

I agree with everything here, with the exception of archer's lowness. Have you tried his dash-jump-attack? spamming it is quite useful.
Beam can practically do the same thing though, and most other abilities can handle Archer's one trick. Me and my friend honestly can't find anything Archer can do that another does better.

I can't get a hang of Cutter, and I personally don't like it.

Bomb and Archer are my mains. All those bombs and arrows everywhere are my favorite.

If only I could use Stone.
I main Cutter and my friend doesn't really main anything. Cutter is pretty tricky to say the least. It's all about mindgames and spacing and constantly making sure you aim your cutters right.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I kinda think sword would be high in the list mostly because sword moves very quick like meta knight in brawl and has some good range and damage for some of his attacks and you could pull off some combos here and there which I notice even the cpu sword kirbys can pull off and it does some great damage if they do it right. Not to mention his one and only way of doing range attacks turns out to be really helpful in some situations.

Idk, maybe I'm just getting too attracted with my main.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I kinda think sword would be high in the list mostly because sword moves very quick like meta knight in brawl and has some good range and damage for some of his attacks and you could pull off some combos here and there which I notice even the cpu sword kirbys can pull off and it does some great damage if they do it right. Not to mention his one and only way of doing range attacks turns out to be really helpful in some situations.

Idk, maybe I'm just getting too attracted with my main.
I get what you're saying, but Sword is essentially the Mario and relys on platforms. Like dash attacking off of them or the uspecial to dspecial which deals more hits the higher you are.

Course, Sword has my favorite combo. The dash attack to uspecial to dspecial to (wall) bbb combo. The bbb doesn't always work though.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
It is about as close to Smash and Kid Icarus is...

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
Bomb Set detonates any bombs you've already set. I feel like Bomb Kirby's like Snake, but better.

Also, who else hates the Factory Tour stage?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Bomb Set detonates any bombs you've already set. I feel like Bomb Kirby's like Snake, but better.

Also, who else hates the Factory Tour stage?
Eh? :crazy: I'll be back in a moment...

Edit: Doesn't look like it, but if you were to bomb throw then bomb set the first would explode when you set the second. Is that what you're seeing?

Last edited:

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
Eh? :crazy: I'll be back in a moment...

Edit: Doesn't look like it, but if you were to bomb throw then bomb set the first would explode when you set the second. Is that what you're seeing?
No, Bomb Set > Bomb Set detonates the bomb from the first Bomb Set. Bomb Roll > Bomb Roll does the same thing. Bomb Throw will detonate on impact.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Kirby Triple Deluxe in general is a good way to get used to the circle pad and 3DS controls that Smash will use.

Kids keep saying it's nothing like Smash, but it's just Smash without knock-back. You can nitpick that some moves aren't performed in the same way but those are the only real differences. It's still a nice little playground to get in shape for Smash 3DS and will likely give you an edge early on when others are struggling to get used to Smash with 3DS controls; not just Kirby Fighters but the entire game itself (minus Dedede Drum Dash) is a good exercise once you start utilizing shield, dodge, rolling dodge, and air dodge.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
After having played the game since yesterday, yeah I guess I can see where people are coming from. Then again, most of Smash's gameplay has kinda been borrowed from the Kirby series anyway (considering how Sakurai is the creator of both the Kirby and the Super Smash Bros series in the first place)

Anyway, I have really been enjoying this little game and it's a neat little thing to tide over until Smash 3DS comes out. :)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I think people who say it isn't like SSB are missing the point. I don't think anyone's trying to say that it is literally SSB, but with only Kirby.

The idea, concept and a few elements are the same.

It's a 2D platforming fighter with up to 4 players.
Some stages have hazards, and there's even a "Final Destination" stage
It works similar to Stamina mode as opposed to a normal mode, in a boxed in custom stage.
You have shield, dodge roll, air dodge, etc.
You have Forward, Down, Up, & Neutral B moves, charge moves that kinda act like Smash attacks, and so on.

Yeah, the physics aren't the same, and KO-ing isn't the same, but the topic is asking if it feels like a "stripped down" SSB, which it does.

For some, it feels more stripped down, but I am inclined to believe that those are the ones who are looking at it more like "this isn't viable for tournaments or wavedashing and so on". Nobody's saying it's exactly SSB.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
You mean Punch Time Explosion? The only reason it's #1 on my Activity Log is because I was craving a new Smash Bros. :awesome:
Punch Time Explosion is fun for any fan of cartoon network, and a clear lot of love for the different series used is displayed in the presentation. Gameplay-wise, it's still flawed and Kirby the Fighters has better physics and gameplay, but not as great character selection or atmosphere. Probably cause it's a sub game and not just a fighting game based off kirby characters.

To senselessly make this post longer I am going to rank my personal perception on the playability of every smash brothers clone I can think of based on gameplay and fun factor. I think I'm a fan of the genre cause even the game that comes in last on this ranking I wouldn't call a bad game by any means and enjoyed playing it lots.

6) Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale (PS3) - Comes in last cause the game breakingly lame KO system is... game breakingly lame. Also is the only case where net play hinders it because despite a wonderfully prepared net play with season but due to the importance of one move a slightly laggy day for you or your teammate can lead to a bad session.

5) Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (3DS) - Wonderful presentation and love of the series brought down by crappy physics, randomly really on and really off character voice acting, and sometimes glitchy character renderings.

4) Sonic Battle (GBA) - A really fun but dated sonic game. Fans of brawl hacks will notice a lot of character moves for Tails and Knuckles PSAs originate from this game.

3) Kirby the Fighters (3DS) - It played like a scaled down smash brothers. Near perfect physics to it. If only it had a deeper character select screen. (Like Beatle or Spear... Or Dedede and other actual characters) and net play, this would easily be in the top spot.

2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash Up (Wii) - Also lacks net play and I really think could easily be in the number 4 position if I wasn't personally so blinded by nostalgia for these characters. While the 'specials' were sort of underwhelming, the characters all were fun to play and a lot of the more individual touches of the game (mostly things you could do off walls) were fun and worked well for the represented series.

1) Jump Super/Ultimate Stars (DS) - Great physics. Great gameplay. Insane number of characters. Net play that only ended recently. DS games never were region blocked and could be imported easily. Just a perfect smash brothers genre game. Unmistakably in the genre with a unique sense of its own in fun ways instead of game breakingly lame ones. Like Playstation All Stars had.

I do find it interesting that 4/6 of these games are played primarily on Nintendo hand-helds. Makes me even more hopeful for the 3DS smash to be the best one ever.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I think it's hilarious that they even included the option to turn items off.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
It does feel like it actually. That's what I thought of it the first time I played it with the exception of the dodging being very hard to do.

Well it is missing one thing though: Online Multiplayer. But oh well. It's still like a mini smash to me.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I was actually going to make a thread about this and see how people would feel about this game being a side event at Smash tournaments.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Kirby Super Star had directional attacks, shielding, and recovery items, too.

Sakurai takes many things from his own series'. There's nothing wrong with it.

D

Deleted member

I haven't tried out Kirby Fighters, so I wouldn't know. But, it might serve as an idea on how Smash 3DS would work, somewhat.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
4) Sonic Battle (GBA) - A really fun but dated sonic game. Fans of brawl hacks will notice a lot of character moves for Tails and Knuckles PSAs originate from this game.
Sonic Battle is no Smash Bros clone. It plays completely differently and even functions on a 3D plane, despite being on the GBA (characters are sprites, but the arenas are 3D). If I had to compare Sonic Battle to another game, it would be Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Anyway, if Kirby Fighters does one thing for me, it makes more a little more comfortable in owning a normal 3DS for Smash. I could keep track of my Kirby just fine, and the camera functions kinda like Smash in that game. I still might get an XL one day, though,

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm guessing a Kirby Fighters stage will be ported directly to Smash 3D.

Here's hoping it's Coo's Forest.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Kirby Triple Deluxe actually had its physics edited compared to previous Kirby games pretty much specifically so Kirby Fighters could play like Smash. In particular, Kirby Triple Deluxe is, to my knowledge the first game in the Kirby series to have DI. This DI is present even in the main game, not just in Kirby Fighters. Also, the rolling dodge travels farther in Kirby FIghters than in the main game, and all invincibility frames are gone from all actions except dodging and guarding.

So yes, Kirby Fighters does feel quite a bit like a Smash game.

Parasol OP, btw. Parasol Drill combos inescapably into itself until you run into the wall, at which point you combo into Parasol Twirl, which can also combo into itself a few times before being escapable, especially since you can modify your aerial momentum during the attack. So just spam Parasol Twirl until the opponent ends up launched behind you instead of forward into the wall, then spam Parasol Drill again until you reach the opposite wall, and repeat process.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Kirby Triple Deluxe actually had its physics edited compared to previous Kirby games pretty much specifically so Kirby Fighters could play like Smash. In particular, Kirby Triple Deluxe is, to my knowledge the first game in the Kirby series to have DI. This DI is present even in the main game, not just in Kirby Fighters. Also, the rolling dodge travels farther in Kirby FIghters than in the main game, and all invincibility frames are gone from all actions except dodging and guarding.

So yes, Kirby Fighters does feel quite a bit like a Smash game.

Parasol OP, btw. Parasol Drill combos inescapably into itself until you run into the wall, at which point you combo into Parasol Twirl, which can also combo into itself a few times before being escapable, especially since you can modify your aerial momentum during the attack. So just spam Parasol Twirl until the opponent ends up launched behind you instead of forward into the wall, then spam Parasol Drill again until you reach the opposite wall, and repeat process.
I'm pretty sure you can get out of Parasol Twirl with jumps. Even if that doesn't work, it's a low priority attack, (Priority = Reach in KF) so it's not hard to deal with unless you're Archer.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Here's a tier list I found on Gamefaqs. The whole thread was filled with some interesting information and was surprisingly not ignorant (compared to 90% of Gamefaqs thread)

As someone who has played Kirby Fighters quite a bit, I can personally agree with the following tier list: What about everyone else?

Fighter (Score: +8/9)
Large Adv: Ninja, Whip
Slight Adv: Beam, Bomb, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Neutral: Cutter, Parasol
Slight Dis: None
Large Dis: None

Parasol (Score: +8/9)
Large Adv: Beam, Bow, Ninja, Whip
Slight Adv: Cutter, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Neutral: Fighter
Large Dis: Bomb

Cutter (Score: +8)
Large Adv: Beam, Bow, Ninja (Normal/Easy), Whip
Slight Adv: Hammer
Neutral: Bomb, Fighter, Sword
Slight Dis: Parasol

Bomb (Score: +6/7)
Large Adv: Ninja, Parasol
Slight Adv: Beam, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Neutral: Cutter, Whip
Slight Dis: Fighter

Sword (Score: +1/2)
Large Adv: Ninja
Slight Adv: Beam, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy)
Slight Dis: Bomb, Fighter, Parasol

Beam (Score: -3/4)
Large Adv: Bow, Ninja
Slight Adv: Ninja (Easy), Whip
Neutral: None
Slight Dis: Bomb, Hammer, Sword
Large Dis: Cutter, Fighter, Parasol

Hammer (Score: -2/4/6)
Large Adv: Ninja (...it's weird, I know)
Slight Adv: Beam, Whip
Slight Dis: Bomb, Bow, Cutter, Fighter, Parasol, Sword
Large Dis: Ninja (Easy)

Whip (Score: -6/7)
Large Adv: None
Slight Adv: Bow, Ninja
Neutral: Bomb, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Slight Dis: Beam, Hammer

Bow (Score: -7)
Large Adv: Ninja (Normal/Easy)
Slight Dis: Bomb, Fighter, Hammer, Sword
Large Dis: Beam, Cutter, Parasol

Ninja w/Easy Handicap (Score: -7)
Large Adv: Hammer
Slight Adv: None
Neutral: Whip
Slight Dis: Beam, Bomb, Fighter, Parasol, Sword
Large Dis: Bow, Cutter

Ninja w/Normal Handicap (Score: -16...ouch)
Slight Dis: Parasol, Whip
Large Dis: Beam, Bomb, Bow, Cutter, Fighter, Hammer, Sword

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It is bullcrap that Spear isn't in Kirby Fighters for some reason. Probably they deemed it OP because Spear is amazing, best copy ability.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally feel the Leaf ability is the most OP ability. (at least that was the only ability where I managed to beat The True Arena with flying colours with little to no problems at all) All you need to do with that is spam the shield button as you're practically untouchable with it and you immediately attack when you get out of it. At least I'm not at all surprised that ability wasn't included in Kirby Fighters....

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Here's a tier list I found on Gamefaqs. The whole thread was filled with some interesting information and was surprisingly not ignorant (compared to 90% of Gamefaqs thread)

As someone who has played Kirby Fighters quite a bit, I can personally agree with the following tier list: What about everyone else?

Fighter (Score: +8/9)
Large Adv: Ninja, Whip
Slight Adv: Beam, Bomb, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Neutral: Cutter, Parasol

Parasol (Score: +8/9)
Large Adv: Beam, Bow, Ninja, Whip
Slight Adv: Cutter, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Neutral: Fighter
Large Dis: Bomb

Cutter (Score: +8)
Large Adv: Beam, Bow, Ninja (Normal/Easy), Whip
Neutral: Bomb, Fighter, Sword
Slight Dis: Parasol

Bomb (Score: +6/7)
Large Adv: Ninja, Parasol
Slight Adv: Beam, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Slight Dis: Fighter

Sword (Score: +1/2)
Large Adv: Ninja
Slight Adv: Beam, Bow, Hammer, Ninja (Easy)
Slight Dis: Bomb, Fighter, Parasol

Beam (Score: -3/4)
Large Adv: Bow, Ninja
Slight Adv: Ninja (Easy), Whip
Slight Dis: Bomb, Hammer, Sword

Hammer (Score: -2/4/6)
Large Adv: Ninja (...it's weird, I know)
Slight Adv: Beam, Whip
Slight Dis: Bomb, Bow, Cutter, Fighter, Parasol, Sword
Large Dis: Ninja (Easy)

Whip (Score: -6/7)
Slight Adv: Bow, Ninja
Neutral: Bomb, Ninja (Easy), Sword
Slight Dis: Beam, Hammer

Bow (Score: -7)
Large Adv: Ninja (Normal/Easy)
Slight Dis: Bomb, Fighter, Hammer, Sword
Large Dis: Beam, Cutter, Parasol

Ninja w/Easy Handicap (Score: -7)
Large Adv: Hammer
Neutral: Whip
Slight Dis: Beam, Bomb, Fighter, Parasol, Sword
Large Dis: Bow, Cutter

Ninja w/Normal Handicap (Score: -16...ouch)
Slight Dis: Parasol, Whip
Large Dis: Beam, Bomb, Bow, Cutter, Fighter, Hammer, Sword
Funny, I made up my own a while back.

Cutter
Fighter
Parasol

Mid
Beam
Bomb
Sword
Hammer

Low
Ninja
Whip

Bottom
Archer
Cutter, Fighter, and Parasol all close together like I said. Beam, Bomb, Sword and Hammer not far behind. Yeah, they're probably right about Bomb being better then the other three. But the bottom three though... I don't agree at all. Archer has no way of getting attackers off. At least Ninja isn't as good as dead when somebody gets close. What's so bad about Ninja anyway? And with Whip, I'm just not seeing what they're seeing.

Where's this tier list, anyway?

It is bullcrap that Spear isn't in Kirby Fighters for some reason. Probably they deemed it OP because Spear is amazing, best copy ability.
Spear would kinda just be an all-around better version of Whip. I'm not surprised it wasn't included.

I personally feel the Leaf ability is the most OP ability. (at least that was the only ability where I managed to beat The True Arena with flying colours with little to no problems at all) All you need to do with that is spam the shield button as you're practically untouchable with it and you immediately attack when you get out of it. At least I'm not at all surprised that ability wasn't included in Kirby Fighters....
I'd say (of all things) Archer is the best for solo. Camouflage has the same mechanics as Leaf Hide, (just don't move, you're not invincible when moving or shooting) and a pretty high DPS for a ranged attack. Shooting straight up as fast as you can against the flying bosses pretty much destroys them, and like half of the bosses fly. And there's some pretty sick invincibility frames on the dash attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom