• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Double's Discussion *New Discussion 8/09/09*

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
TOON LINK

Strategies

This team is a very unique charm to it, two of the most adorable looking characters in a team, well they also can perform hardcore in doubles to. Toon Link is great for assist, set up's, and finishing blows for this team. On main thing to worry about is dealing with characters that can kill very fast because both Kirby and Toon Link are very light. The great news is this team can set up for attacks very well. Toon Link's bombs come in handy to set up for Kirby to attack after your opponent get's blown up. Not to mention Kirby's D-Throw > Toon Link's U-Air is also a great way to kill. This team has a long of options to perform, the strongest points is assist, Toon Link's fast attacks can interrupt your opponents from doing an attack, not to mention Toon Link's projectiles.

Copy?

You'll perform much better with it because it's a projectile that goes far, that some people hate because you can spam Toon Link's arrows a lot. Toon Link's arrows can lead to numbers of assist and set up's because how far it can reach, though very slow, it still reaches far, you can also try to gimp with this move, but it's not a very good gimping move on most characters, but it's still an option.

Overall Performance

This team can perform and concur more than anyone would think. Good luck trying to gimp this team, because of their great recovery, it's not an easy task to do. This team has number of set up's, assist, and finishing blows that can be used. Also make sure your Toon Link partner knows his projectiles uses and how to control them, I say this because projectiles missed used can hurt you as well if your not careful. The only down side on this team would be that both Toon Link and Kirby can die very fast, and a team with Snake or Marth wouldn't be a joyful experience. But over all, this team will perform very well, practice up and you have a shot at winning.

Rating

★★★★☆

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
:wario: :lucario: :pt: :fox: :shiek: :lucas: added guys, we need more discussion before I get an infraction for posting more than four times. )=

Also my next character will be Lucas and Mr. Game & Watch.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I really don't know how QD Arrows work, I'll lurk more. Also I'm going to a tourney tomorrow, so I'll have my Lucas and Mr. Game & Watch info around Monday or so.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
LUCAS

Strategies

Not many times you see a character that's around low tier in a tourney, well you shouldn't worry, Lucas can help you way more than to hurt you. Make sure the Lucas main knows when to use PK Fire, if used wrong this attack can mess up your set up's, or interrupt and help your opponent even more. Regardless, Lucas have lot's of ways to finish his opponents, mostly with is trusty stick which can luckily kill most character's before 100% if it's not overused and fresh. Lucas has a unique ability to heal, so when you clear the screen, make time to help Lucas recover. Now then, this team doesn't do well when both characters are too far since Lucas will mostly be the target thanks to him having more characters to worry than Kirby, so take note of that.

Copy?

A big GIANT yes, this ability will help you heal Lucas greatly and is the perfect tool help with assist if someone is picking on Lucas. On 1 vs 1 fights you won't really use this ability becuase of how much time and space you need to perfectly use PK Freeze.

Overall Performance

This team doesn't look like much, but this team can hurt if you use this team well. Lucas can really kill very fast and unpredictable if you give him the chance to. Not only that, but don't get made when Lucas steals the KO's, along with grab release > U-Smash for an epic win. The biggest flaw of this team is leaving Lucas alone, or facing characters both Kirby and Lucas have bad match up's on, (Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, etc). A minor flaw is to practice on assist with Lucas, which isn't a big deal, but make sure you practice. This team isn't very common, but this team can able to get far if played right.

Rating

★★★☆

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Maybe it's because of how much I've looked into a few of these teams, but some of them seem really incomplete... like the MK one... I mean, the main drawback to that team is not lack of projectiles, it's the lack of a stock tank, and that both characters are light weight. Against a team with heavy characters, like Wario + Snake, it's a visible hinderance.

That being said, this team combos like no other, and if they focus on 2v1s, they can do a whole lot of cool stuff.
As with any other character, Kirby's jabs are ****, and if you start a jab, you're opponent should try to grab the opponent ASAP. You can get up to 60% off of just one grab this way.
Also, Dthrow, Uthrow, and Fthrow combo into MK's moves (Tornado, Fair, Dair, Uair chain, etc.), and Fthrow>Uair>MK Uair chain is just sex at low percents. Also, if you are grabbing and holding an opponent, MK can hit them with Uair>Nair for the kill or just damage racking.
You can also combo out of MK's Dthrow and Uthrow (Stone, Dair, Nair to a certain extent, Usmash), out of his tornado, and almost every team combo can be ended in a SL.

Also, Mario + Kirby have more team comboes than that. They also have the Uthrow Cape **** (as mentioned by FireKirby), major gimping potential, and fireballs, which if possible, both characters should use. These are also effective against Characters with PSI magnet or reflectors, since fireballs are meant to be used more as an approach option anyway, or to set up for combos. However, this team kind of lacks a stock tank, since while Mario does live a long time, he is also very easy to gimp if hit horizontally. Also, landing straight KOs can be difficult for Mario, so Kirby will have to deal with most of the killing.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Of course there's lacking information, this is the first attempt to make a team thread after all. =P

We will most likely over view all the characters that's already been discussed.

Kirkon

Smash Cadet
I dont have much team experience, but i hear Kirby+Wario is a good team to have, given their great almost everything.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Kirby and Wario? I have never tried that team before, I'll try it next time I'm on teams.

Anyways, I know I'm wayyyy behind on this thread, but I'll get back on track soon. And sadly as I expected, Zero Suit Samus and Kirby teaming up is a bad idea.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why so?

10Whys

(Can't say I've had much luck with that team either, but I think it was more of a lack of coordination than anything.)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think team ratings are subject to personal bias; some of these teams I feel should be worse than their ratings lead on, some are better, and too many are too good.

But that's just me.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I recently teamed with a good pokemon Trainer player. The team was crazy in terms of support. I recall one part where I manged to down air spike a traped enemy into his Ivysaur's bullet seed multiple times in a row, racking up a nice ammount of damage before he DId out of it. Charizard acted as a nice finisher/tank of the team. Plus the fire ability is nice to copy. Squirtle was average for the team purposes but worked nicely when we were chaseing a Falco 2v1 across FD.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Hey Kirby boards I have a request or maybe any advice for teams with Peach, as I might be teaming with a Peach main at Holiday Bash in Colorado. I would appreciate help from Kirby mains and Peach's perhaps. I am not asking for special treatment but if anyone has any advice for that team I would appreciate it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Dthrow to Peach Dair might work?

TBH I'm not sure what to do with that team...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, let's see... I'm gonna list a couple of possible Peach+Kirby team stuff, try them out and see if they work out for you:

* If there is only one opponent (or the other one is too far) and you WANT to get that last kill, grab the opponent as Kirby since your grab is better, and pummel until you ground release. Tell the Peach to grab him as soon as you let go, then sideB the opponent while the Peach pummels. Easy kill! However, if there's no time due to the other opponent being alive and approaching, have the peach fair them or charge an fsmash/usmash at the right distance for maximum knockback.

* While Peach is dairing one of the opponents, wait until she does the whole bair>bair>uair>utilt combo, then follow up with a bair to knock him off the stage, where either you or Peach can start the edgeguarding process on that opponent while the other holds the other opponent back... And not just the dair combos! Make sure you pay attention to Peach's combos, and make sure that she finishes her combos by holding back the 2nd opponent, while making sue you're ready to add in an extra hit to her combo (like a bair) for extra damage! And don't forget to use fthrow and bthrow to throw your opponents in Peach's direction, where she can nair/bair them back to you without really messing her stringing flow.

* If Peach is forced to return on-stage with her umbrella, go offstage and uair her. If she's too low, the opponents will hit her more and push her father away. Knocking up higher into the air might give her some damage, but you assure her survival as well. You, being a character with 5 jumps and impressive offstage game, don't need to worry about her getting you out of tough offstage situations.

* Inhale her every once in a while, and spit her out in your opponent's directions. This is applicable to ALL teams, but it's still good to know: you knock back the opponents, and now your teammate is in an advantageous aerial position! And, the starshot can kill at around 140-150% the vast majority of the cast, and is DEFINITELY safe on shield for your teammate!

*If you're both near the edge and one of the opponents is trying to get back on-stage, both should go and try to gimp him: Peach should handle the edgehogs, while you as Kirby should go for dair>footstools or bairs... Peach will be edgehogging and doing ledgedropped invincible floating nairs to keep the ledge under your team's control.

Dunno what else to say, I haven't had recent experience in the Peach+Kirby team.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Well, let's see... I'm gonna list a couple of possible Peach+Kirby team stuff, try them out and see if they work out for you:

* If there is only one opponent (or the other one is too far) and you WANT to get that last kill, grab the opponent as Kirby since your grab is better, and pummel until you ground release. Tell the Peach to grab him as soon as you let go, then sideB the opponent while the Peach pummels. Easy kill! However, if there's no time due to the other opponent being alive and approaching, have the peach fair them or charge an fsmash/usmash at the right distance for maximum knockback.

* While Peach is dairing one of the opponents, wait until she does the whole bair>bair>uair>utilt combo, then follow up with a bair to knock him off the stage, where either you or Peach can start the edgeguarding process on that opponent while the other holds the other opponent back... And not just the dair combos! Make sure you pay attention to Peach's combos, and make sure that she finishes her combos by holding back the 2nd opponent, while making sue you're ready to add in an extra hit to her combo (like a bair) for extra damage! And don't forget to use fthrow and bthrow to throw your opponents in Peach's direction, where she can nair/bair them back to you without really messing her stringing flow.

* If Peach is forced to return on-stage with her umbrella, go offstage and uair her. If she's too low, the opponents will hit her more and push her father away. Knocking up higher into the air might give her some damage, but you assure her survival as well. You, being a character with 5 jumps and impressive offstage game, don't need to worry about her getting you out of tough offstage situations.

* Inhale her every once in a while, and spit her out in your opponent's directions. This is applicable to ALL teams, but it's still good to know: you knock back the opponents, and now your teammate is in an advantageous aerial position! And, the starshot can kill at around 140-150% the vast majority of the cast, and is DEFINITELY safe on shield for your teammate!

*If you're both near the edge and one of the opponents is trying to get back on-stage, both should go and try to gimp him: Peach should handle the edgehogs, while you as Kirby should go for dair>footstools or bairs... Peach will be edgehogging and doing ledgedropped invincible floating nairs to keep the ledge under your team's control.

Dunno what else to say, I haven't had recent experience in the Peach+Kirby team.
Thanks that actually helps a lot!! :bee: I will see if he has any ideas as well but I will try these with him and see if it works.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
Copy?

Only if you enjoy Kirby to have King Dedede's hat. Other than that, you would want to copy your opponents power.

I'm gonna go with definite captain falcon "yes" on the copy just for this reason! Who doesn't love the hat?
Actually, Dedede's has more range, but it would only be useful if you plan on surprising opponents with an inhale from farther away for an easy 10% (Not spammable)

PS: Idk what happened to the quote, but original post above by Viper

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
umm... DDD power is broken on Kirby actually, its practically a free 10% not to mention the superarmor will save ur a55 from many DDD kill moves.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
True, but keep in mind that you footstool D3 out of Kirby's inhale, but not D3's version, so it's a give or take. I love both TBH and usually switch between the two, depending on which seems more useful against the player.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
That last post is what really confuses me, people always talk about footstooling out of a swallow escape. But when both characters appear on a lateral equal to each other, how is it that Kirby can get above the opponent, land on their head, and do another jusmp in that situation? i just don't see how anyone does it. Everyone talks about it, but every time I attempt it, i just fly through their character and get b-air'd.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That last post is what really confuses me, people always talk about footstooling out of a swallow escape. But when both characters appear on a lateral equal to each other, how is it that Kirby can get above the opponent, land on their head, and do another jusmp in that situation? i just don't see how anyone does it. Everyone talks about it, but every time I attempt it, i just fly through their character and get b-air'd.
Check the inhale guide. It describes it. Otherwise, wait till Monday when I'm not too tired to explain it XD

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
I was actually going to recommend a Fox discussion, but Samus is cool too.

Is the copy really worth it? As cool as a projectile is, it has to be at least somewhat charged to justify the startup and ending lag, and in a 2v2, you rarely get time to sit there readying your Kamehameha.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nope, inhale not worth it. She outranges your inhale in every scenario, and she footstools you out of a kirbicide. Plus her cannon doesn't kill for crap and is too easy to avoid.

EDIT: LOL whoops, I thought this was the MU advice thread! Weeeeell, the bolded part still holds true!

Sarix

Smash Ace
Can I get information for Kirby and Samus teaming please? Lol
I'll go off what I've seen as a Samus main who teams with a Pikachu, hopefully it helps.

Samus really likes having small characters who can kill well because they can avoid her projectiles more easily, deal with her weaknesses to small characters by taking them on/covering her from aggression, and get the finishing blow she is not adept at.

Samus is pretty much relegated to support which is fine for her and allows her to be a better stock tank as Kirby takes the front-lines. Kirby has a solid ground game that Samus lacks and her aerial priority allows her to cover his head especially with Fair & Uair (has amazing priority). Copy ability wise it's your choice; Charge Shot is a good camping tool when used smartly and also is a good finisher along with mindgames since it puts opponents on the defensive to see that glowing blue death star on either of their hands.

If you launch Samus at your opponents with Inhale she shouldn't mind being the 7th heaviest character and it would set her up for an aerial combo. If Kirby is ever overwhelmed Samus's projectiles and Zair make up for her lack in movement speed but I am concerned with how well Kirby would be able to assist Samus since he does not have much movement speed himself.

Pros:
Kirby:
*Good ground game to balance the team
*Great a CQC which is something Samus lacks talent in
*Can use Charge Shot to help camp
*Good at killing, Samus is practically the worst killer
*Covers Samus's largely disadvantageous MUs well
Samus:
*Great pressure & zoning game
*Good long ranged attacks
*Solid camper
*Can cover the air very well for Kirby

Both:
*Good at adapting
*Great at racking damage

Cons:
Kirby:
*Very light, will rely on Samus to hold stocks
*Not paying attention to Samus's projectiles can rack a good amount of unintentional damage that can lead to earlier kills on Kirby

Samus:
*Very poor CQC
*Not good at dealing with heavy aggression
*Clunky movement
*Definitely in the Top 5 Worst Killers

Both:
*Floaty, can get juggled easily, and are more easily killed off the top of the screen
*Not being able to read off each others' attacks will cause both characters to step on each others' toes a lot

This is just my opinion. I don't think they're perfect but they would work well together if you learn how to read each others' movements which is IMPERATIVE, that way Samus can create projectile pressure without fear of blasting Kirby constantly and Kirby can do things such as lead homing missiles into opponents for mindgames while fighting in CQC.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
How good is G&W as a teammate for Kirby? This thread didn't seem to advance far enough to discuss G&W which is why I ask about it now.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How good is G&W as a teammate for Kirby? This thread didn't seem to advance far enough to discuss G&W which is why I ask about it now.
I don't see them having many gimmicks with each other, but I can see them both helping each other recover in bad situations. I think that's just an okay team, but I can't really say since I haven't teamed up with a G&W in tourney before (well I have, but it was a one-time thing and we didn't spend time experimenting, so I can't really say much for it).

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Dunno man, rock + G&W uair is the best gimmick imo. Their ability to help each other's recovery seems like a huge plus. The main weakness, I feel, would be if they have to split up 1v1 into bad matchups which happens a lot in teams.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think G&W makes for a fun team but not an especially effective one. Kirby's Final Cutter can fill up G&W's bucket for a very powerful Oil Panic. G&W can also use Kirby's Chef to fill up his bucket, something he cannot do with another G&W for some reason.

G&W in general is pretty good in teams, but I don't think he has anything specific that synergizes with Kirby as a teammate. I think this team's strength is landing powerful hits and taking stocks as soon as possible because both Kirby and G&W can land some pretty strong hits in Doubles.

Oh, and there's that one gimmick with G&W's U-special where he makes a platform for Kirby to land on with Kirby's U-throw. This let's Kirby land up higher on the stage which can let the U-throw KO at lower percents (like Battlefield's upper platform).

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
G&W and Kirby can do good depending on the opposing team and on the stage.

Let's say you're playing against Metaknight and Lucario, and the stage is Ps1. I think G&W would be a preferable partner since Kirby can get a ninja spike on Lucario, and if they decide to camp, you can always abuse the bucket. Also, G&W can get extremely early / greedy kills that Kirby can't do without getting punished. This kind of makes up for Kirby's weak points, as long as one of you keeps the stocks up, you should be in the lead.

Otherwise, if you're playing against someone like Marth and MK, Snake and MK, something like that, you don't have that great of an advantage.

I think the best partner is probably MK of course. The next best is probably Snake.

Top Bottom