• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Changes Patch 1.1.4

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
upload_2016-2-4_0-47-11.png

Essentially the only thing that mattered in the post.

Didn't see a thread for this yet.

Anyone have any luck?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
He seems to have faster air speed, but, I don't know. Might just be me.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
He seems to have faster air speed, but, I don't know. Might just be me.
That blue is not easy to read on this black background.

From the path notes thread:
Possible Parameter Changes (Action End Frames, Intangibility Durations, Mobility Changes, Base Stats, etc)
Cloud, Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox, Kirby, Bowser Jr, Zard, Lucina, Marth, ROB, Rosalina, Toon Link, Wii Fit, Yoshi
So it's possible his movement was buffed. Nothing jumped out at me while I was messing around with him earlier tonight, but it'd been a while since I played before that.

Last edited:

DeployableMuffin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DaRaginAsian
3DS FC
4725-9074-1531
does his bair have more landing lag? feels a bit slower, but that might just be me

edit: its the same

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I Secondary Kirby in Sm4sh so I play him A LOT. After messing around with Bayonetta and Corrin tonight I wanted to test out Kirby's Copy Abilities for those 2. So I went to the training mode and I noticed a significant speed upgrade like immediately... Idk if I'm being crazy but not just air stuff. But his running as well. Hopefully the official patch notes will come out soon to say if I'm being crazy or not.

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
*cough* side b got buffed *cough* it is much faster...... maybe, i dont really know

Last edited:

[n]ICE

Smash Rookie
Can someone tell me if his nair actually act quicker ? Might be placebo

kyizman

Smash Rookie
Has neutral air always canceled like hup cancel or am i just being dumb ?

nikoryan

Smash Cadet
I feel like his ground speed got faster and the last two hits of fair got faster too making it easier for them to connect but i'm not sure. Dair also feels a lot different to me. I also feel like his pummel got slower.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Has neutral air always canceled like hup cancel or am i just being dumb ?
Always canceled like that.

I feel like his ground speed got faster and the last two hits of fair got faster too making it easier for them to connect but i'm not sure. Dair also feels a lot different to me. I also feel like his pummel got slower.
Ground speed was buffed in the last patch, I think fair was buffed last patch too but not 100% positive on the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
copypasta

Kirby has been reported as changed, but nothing that is significant. More details were added into this character because of the 2 extra hats he now has (Corrin/Kamui and Bayonetta). The only thing we have right now is that we can shield out of needles faster than sheik can again. It was fixed before, but now it may have returned. Pluck Gliding is still in the game, so the MU for Olimar is left unchanged.

Edit: We're confirmed to be fat.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Whoa...didn't see that coming. Guess Kirby will now get to live a little longer from now on. Also hilarious how we're now heavier than Rosalina and only 1 point lighter than ZSS.
Does this also mean he also now gets affected by combos for longer? Also, does this mean that he can potentially fall out of some combos now?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Does this also mean he also now gets affected by combos for longer? Also, does this mean that he can potentially fall out of some combos now?
Thing is, he's still small and floaty. I bet very few combos that didn't affect him before will become notably more effective now. This will probably benefit him more in the long run than hurt him. He's still light. Just not as light.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Meaning he can at least take slightly more advantage of rage, but yea.....Never would have suspected this kind of buff o.O
Hopefully it's not the only buff this patch, just for the hecks.........seriously a WEIGHT BUFF?
I'm not complaining, but that's.....possibly the last thing I ever suspected.

Weird, before even the last patch, people were like sakurai would never change a characters speed or weight
newsflash he did both.
Also from reading Marth comments, he even got a range increase.

Lol so seems like no buff is really unreasonable now I guess?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Thing is, he's still small and floaty. I bet very few combos that didn't affect him before will become notably more effective now. This will probably benefit him more in the long run than hurt him. He's still light. Just not as light.
Yeah, it definitely benefits him more. Good thing too, because he needs it.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
It's still not the right kind of buff that Kirby desperately needs though. He needs mobility improvements, especially while in the air.
You're definitely right when you say that mobility buffs would have been better. Namely, bringing his air speed up to at least its former .85 (.90 would be the sweetspot though since they likely don't want him to compete with :4jigglypuff:). But at least he didn't get zip.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Weight won't mean much if his range and mobility are still crap.
It ain't the best buff in the world and no one here's trying to argue otherwise. I would have taken a .10 air speed increase over this any day of the week along with a serious Final Cutter reworking. We're just glad Kirby wasn't left completely ragged and it'll probably help even when you don't realize it.

That said, the fact :4cloud: appears to have gotten some kind of change (haven't looked up his forum yet) means there's a chance they'll do at least one more update after this one to fine-tune :4corrin: and :4bayonetta:. So until we're explicitly told that there will be no more updates (they can still update the game without adding DLC) we should remain aggressive. I will anyway.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Huh. With the weight boost, does Sheik's 50/50 still turn into a kill confirm on us?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Huh. With the weight boost, does Sheik's 50/50 still turn into a kill confirm on us?
Don't know. If the weight buff made it harder, that'd be swell. Someone should test this along with getting new Up Throw kill percents for :rosalina::4zss::4sheik::4kirby::4sonic: and :4ganondorf:who all had their weight changed.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Don't know. If the weight buff made it harder, that'd be swell. Someone should test this along with getting new Up Throw kill percents for :rosalina::4zss::4sheik::4kirby::4sonic: and :4ganondorf:who all had their weight changed.
I can only test on 3DS with no DI on Training, so I'll get on that:
Up Trow kill % (3DS with no DI on Training)
Sheik: 3DS FD no DI: 144
ZSS: 3DS FD no DI: 147
Rosa: 3DS FD no DI: 137
Kirby: 3DS FD no DI: 138
Sonic: 3DS FD no DI: 153
Ganondorf: 3DS FD no DI: 172
I know the numbers will be different in reality. But here are some things to work with.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You're definitely right when you say that mobility buffs would have been better. Namely, bringing his air speed up to at least its former .85 (.90 would be the sweetspot though since they likely don't want him to compete with :4jigglypuff:). But at least he didn't get zip.
And yet Meta Knight's air speed is set at 0.99, AND he has five mid-air jumps. I don't see why Kirby's air speed can't be at around average levels now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah but you know, MK is such a bad character he needs the extra air speed with his 5 jumps.
/s.
Still, Kirby needs at least average air speed, because Final Cutter doesn't offer much horizontal movement. Whereas, Pit and Dark Pit are fine with having below average air speed, because Power of Flight travels far enough to counter that weakness.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
What is the measurement for air speed? It doesn't appear to be a solid number like knockback or damage (though damage also goes into percentages).

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Yeah but you know, MK is such a bad character he needs the extra air speed with his 5 jumps.
/s.
And yet Meta Knight's air speed is set at 0.99, AND he has five mid-air jumps. I don't see why Kirby's air speed can't be at around average levels now.
But remember guys. :4metaknight: is a fast faller so while he technically has more air speed, he doesn't get to put it in practice as much he normally would. Not only that but they actually NERFED Kirby's air speed going into this game so they clearly don't want him soaring through the air. With those two things in mind, I feel like a speed value of .90 would allow Kirby to get by while still not making him seem particularly fast in the air and wouldn't seem too drastic of an increase. Of course I've love for 1.00 value but I am just trying to be realistic here. (I mean the fact they didn't buff his bottom-tier air speed when they buffed is low-tier ground speed is not a good sign.)

As for Final Cutter, they just need to cut it's horrendous startup in half (or less). The reason it's so easy to punish is because it's not only tricky to space it to get the snap but it takes forever to come out leaving you wide open. I think they may have given it that startup so you could move it around first before taking off but the vulnerability you have on startup more than outweighs any possible benefit of getting a little extra distance.

What is the measurement for air speed? It doesn't appear to be a solid number like knockback or damage (though damage also goes into percentages).
Air speed is measured with a simple decimal:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_speed

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
TimG57867 TimG57867 : I think the Final Cutter debate has been settled already, no way of really making that move anything better than situational outside of making it untechable, but eh.

Anyways, I still have a feeling not everything has been found yet, primarily because some of Sheik's minor nerfs among other things got discovered one-by-one rather than all at once, I still I can't help but hold the feeling that our uair feels changed, with a bigger hitbox and all. God, I just hope it's not placebo, though...

TimG57867

Smash Ace
TimG57867 TimG57867 : I think the Final Cutter debate has been settled already, no way of really making that move anything better than situational outside of making it untechable, but eh.

Anyways, I still have a feeling not everything has been found yet, primarily because some of Sheik's minor nerfs among other things got discovered one-by-one rather than all at once, I still I can't help but hold the feeling that our uair feels changed, with a bigger hitbox and all. God, I just hope it's not placebo, though...
They CAN make it better. It's just unlikely they will.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, I'm sure there's still more things that may have chqnged., him along with other characters aren't Eden 100% explored through the patch yet(some note even at all) so its likely something else were not aware of got changed.
I actually wouldn't mind U air having intangibility like Utilt and Usmash.

We still have to wait, he's not fully explored yet, and for all we know he may have gotten a very tiny airspeed buff(kinda doubt it at this point or someone would have at least felt like its faster) I just hope its something that's recently helpful in the long-run.

.....a weight buff....for Kirby...the heck that's still too weird.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But remember guys. :4metaknight: is a fast faller so while he technically has more air speed, he doesn't get to put it in practice as much he normally would. Not only that but they actually NERFED Kirby's air speed going into this game so they clearly don't want him soaring through the air. With those two things in mind, I feel like a speed value of .90 would allow Kirby to get by while still not making him seem particularly fast in the air and wouldn't seem too drastic of an increase. Of course I've love for 1.00 value but I am just trying to be realistic here. (I mean the fact they didn't buff his bottom-tier air speed when they buffed is low-tier ground speed is not a good sign.)

As for Final Cutter, they just need to cut it's horrendous startup in half (or less). The reason it's so easy to punish is because it's not only tricky to space it to get the snap but it takes forever to come out leaving you wide open. I think they may have given it that startup so you could move it around first before taking off but the vulnerability you have on startup more than outweighs any possible benefit of getting a little extra distance.
It's those kinds of thoughts that really hurt Kirby as a whole. Meta Knight's specials all have recovery capabilities, so even if his air speed was as awful as Ganondorf's 0.79, Meta Knight could still fully recover with his versatile recovery choices.

But for Kirby, only Final Cutter can help him, and even it isn't that great of a recovery move with the lack of horizontal movement. That really cries for some air speed improvements for Kirby.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
It's those kinds of thoughts that really hurt Kirby as a whole. Meta Knight's specials all have recovery capabilities, so even if his air speed was as awful as Ganondorf's 0.79, Meta Knight could still fully recover with his versatile recovery choices.

But for Kirby, only Final Cutter can help him, and even it isn't that great of a recovery move with the lack of horizontal movement. That really cries for some air speed improvements for Kirby.
I know Meta Knight doesn't rely on his air speed as much for recovery. But air speed isn't just for recovering. It's useful for spacing aerials and DI too. I personally think Kirby would be fine be fine at a 1.00 value, but considering that his air speed has been low, I doubt they'd ever increase it that much if at all (I mean it was only .85 before and they NERFED it) so I just thought .90 would be a fair compromise. At this point I'd take ANY air speed increase as long as it at least gets him back to his Brawl air speed. But the more the merrier.

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
I still got this crazy feeling with Kirby that something has changed when I am in the air, even though I even played an older version. I just feel like his jumps or speed really got changed, but many people say it's just placebo... So weird

Top Bottom