• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirbicides - Where's Your God NAO!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
STOP!

-Disclaimer-
If you're entering this thread expecting to find something hilariously troll-licious,....there's still a slight chance. With that said, this is an honest attempt at a write-up involving a 'cheap' tactic Kirby mains can exploit in actual tournament play.​

Foreword:
There's no such thing as a 'cheap' win, tactic, move, playstyle, or strategy. Understand that when you play any game competitively you want to optimize your chances of winning ANY way possible. This is the first step to appreciating a Sakurai-given talent; the Kirbicide.​

Defining the Kirbicide:
What is a Kirbicide?​
Good question. A maneuver coined after the character, the Kirbicide is actually the nickname given to a kill resulting from an inhale in which Kirby dies along w/ his victim in a glorious blast of sheer awesome.​
...​
Uh, JoWii,...why the hell would you want to do that?! And that'd be a logical question to ask seeing as how the object of the game is to win by retaining your stocks. So let me break down in a few simple points why Kirbiciding is worth it.​

Fresh stock:
Let's say the match starts, and right out the gate you're getting swamped by an over-aggressive, confident opponent who is getting the better of you. You're feeling overwhelmed and it looks like you'll be lucky to drop 20 percent on your opponent before your stock is gone. You both have 3 stocks, but you have 0123405932560we8 percent while your opponent has 19 percent damage.​
You have now entered, “KirbicideStatus”.​
This is a moment during a match that it is beneficial to Kirbicide giving you a fresh stock to restart on while making all that work your opponent did a waste. YAAAY!!! So obviously, this is a good reason to Kirbicide, what other reasons are there?​

The Silver Lining:

Yes! You just took a stock off your opponent! Awesome. Now he'll come back during invincibility frames and kill you because you're @ high percents. YAAaa--....no. That's no good. What's the point of enjoying being ahead if your opponent is just going to come back and kill you?​
Well,...at least there's a silver lining?​
Yes, a silver lining. Knowing that you are at an advantage for the time being, you can camp/ aircamp/ plank and play defensive for the time being. This is where 'the set-up' happens. Your opponent comes back fresh from a death and is looking for a bit of payback. Well bring it on! Take time to prepare your Kirby position somewhere near an edge and wait for an approach to punish.​
Now obviously if your opponent is @ 0-ish percent a Kirbicide might not happen because your opponent will wiggle out? Now's the time to examine the other aspects of 'Kirbiciding'.​

The many shades of Pink:

Kirbiciding, imo, has become more of a broad term given to select scenarios all stemming from an inhale. Examples would be 'inhaleBreak>footstool' on heavier than Kirby characters, or 'spit>stagespike' under a stage @ mid percents. Anything stemming from an inhale could fall under the category of 'Kirbiciding' so long as your opponent dies; though generally you want to insure that happens, during the course of which you may die. So if you, let's just say, inhale your opponent returning from death while you have high percents, you obviously have to KNOW if you'll footstool out of an inhale break. If that character is lighter or around the same weight as Kirby, chances are when they break out, that character won't die automatically. In this event, you'd want to optimize the chances of killing your opponent by going under the stage (Marth, Pika, etc.) or away from the stage (ICs, Luigi, etc.). Either way, you have to then begin to actively stop their recovery! So you may die, or you may live, but the point is that you want your opponent to die. This is just the nature of the beast. Let's get back to the last few reasons to Kirbicide.​

Last Stock:
There's no sweeter way to win, then killing your opponent w/ a Kirbicide so long as Kirby comes out on top. Simple, sweet, and oh so evil. Make sure the conditions are right (I.e. guaranteed footstool, stage spike spit, stock ahead, etc.) and let loose!​

Soul Crush:
This is less of a reason, and more of an effect. How would you feel if you destroyed someone and the only reason they won was because of some STUPID, CHEAP, ANYONE CAN ****ING DO IT, TAKES NO SKILL tactic? How would you feel is no matter how hard you try, everytime you get footstool'd when you break out? Why is this move even legal? It's so unfair. It's so....evil.​
I introduce the greatest effect of Kirbiciding, the SOUL CRUSH! This term has been around for a while I'm sure and can apply to a great number of things so make no mistake this IS the effect you want the Kirbicide you inflict to have. What better way to bring the match to your pace, in your favor, than with a Kirbicide. Once you land ONE Kirbicide, the knowledge that it can happen again is on your opponents mind and that little seed of evil is what'll stop that character from approaching you while you're on the ledge (or even just by it). Or maybe it'll frustrate your opponent making him/her approach in an aggressive, unsafe, blind rush. Any psychological effect induced that unnerves, annoys, angers, etc. pushes the match-up more into Kirby's favor.​

Insult to MY injury:
I've explained all the benefits of Kirbiciding, but realize not every Kirbicide is a good one. Sometime you lose. It's going to happen and it's a shame. This could be because you got outplayed, personal bad matchup, made a few mistakes, etc. but one way another it's bound to happen. Sure, it's no fun losing and you could get all upset and let it affect you, but why? Why not instead go out w/ a bang? Or a Kirbicide :D. Get that last laugh and who cares if you lose, it's just a game, it's not the last one, and hey, at least you went out on your terms.​

Lesson Learned. Or was it?
Sure, you understand some good situations for Kirbicide, and ya you know the basics of it, but do you know the difference between a good Kirbicide and a bad one? Is there such thing as a bad Kirbicide? YES. The answer is without a doubt yes, there is such a thing as a bad Kirbicide. If you try to pull of an unsafe, desperate Kirbicide against a Snake, Marth, MK, DK, etc. because you're losing and you've lost hope, or you feel like you can't beat whoever because they're legitimately better than you, than you've commited a bad Kirbicide. If you succeed? Thank your ****ing lucky stars. When you don't? Why the hell did you think that was a good idea. Being knowledgeable about characters' reach/ hitboxes, along with proper spacing and preparation is what separates the good Kirbiciders from the bad. Without knowing who you're up against, practicing for situations, knowing Kirby, you're just getting' lucky. Which is fine seeing how this is JUST some gimmicky, cheap, no skill having tactic. :awesome:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
And reserve for when I decide to make a Kirbicider's Hall of Fame. >_> Or just a list of people and who they've Kirbicided (notable victims only).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Now I was wondering, is there a way to Kirbicide cancel? The reason I ask is recently I've been having more and more instances where my opponents don't mash out (the fear of the footstool XD) but if I hit jump as I approach the blastzone, they break out and die while I jump back up and live. Can't seem to do it consistently, but I'd say it's happening 60-70% of the time.

Also, not a Kirbycide, but starshotting characters like TL, ZSS, G&W, Sonic, Shiek, etc over the edge can lead to them Dair-ing to death if they buffer to try and punish a swallow (or mash).

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Now I was wondering, is there a way to Kirbicide cancel? The reason I ask is recently I've been having more and more instances where my opponents don't mash out (the fear of the footstool XD) but if I hit jump as I approach the blastzone, they break out and die while I jump back up and live. Can't seem to do it consistently, but I'd say it's happening 60-70% of the time.
They probably naturally break free and, like a footstool, you end up a smidge higher and survive. I'm just speculating though, but it'd be neat thing if it was something has gone undiscovered. :laugh:

Is there a way to inhale the opponent, then use Kirby's down-b to fall down faster?
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at my dude. You mean swallow then and then just stone yourself off stage with them still inside you? :confused:
But to answer your question as I understand it, nope. You'll just end up copying their power since pressing either the B button or Down on the D-stick will cause Kirby to copy the opponent.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, I was thinking that was the case too, but since it's been happening more and more often, I grow hopeful. It's probably nothing though. Maybe people are just getting scared of mashing out now that the footstool is becoming more common.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This happened to me at one of the early Brawl Tournaments of 2008. We were doing a crew battle and I decided to just finish Snake off with a Kirbycide. I figured a trade of one of my Stocks with Snake's last stock would be worth it. Anyway, we dropped off the bottom and he got KO'd and I was left alive - so I got to keep my stock for the next battle!

I don't think I was trying to 'SD-Cancel' with jump. I was just dropping off the bottom of the right side of Battlefield and going for the kill.

Top Bottom