• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I modded these fan covers to my Smash Bros. Since these are all final boss music, I think this is the best place to post it:

Crocodile Symphony + bits of Gang-Plank Galleon by Nekofrog & Brandon Strader

Gang-Plank Galleon by MegaDriver

Gang-Plank Galleon by GaMetal

StormC

Smash Hero

It's been fun, everyone. Thanks again to everyone who voted and supported K. Rool over the years. It feels fantastic that K. Rool, as a newcomer, gets to play a part in what is the best Smash game and roster to date. Thinking about all the crazy reveals like Ridley, Sora, Banjo, Sephiroth... K. Rool got to be a part of that. The irrelevant crocodile final boss from a quirky mid-90s SNES platformer is now a video game all star.

K. Rool was by far my most wanted Smash character in all of speculation history. I'll never again feel that hype I did when they showed a flurry of villains duking it out in his trailer opening. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It was meant to be.

Last edited:
It's been a fun and extremely satisfying ride.

An amazing cast of characters, a fantastic set of Fighter Passes and overall a truly glorious game. All created by many hard working and talented people, with many moving parts all coming together and contributing. And we can't forget the grassroots, organic push from so many dedicated fans either, such an amazing effort to get this bung eyed reptile back where he belongs.

It really is the ultimate Smash title.

Ridley wasn't too big, Steve wasn't not realisable, K.Rool wasn't irrelevant, Sora was not impossible, the Belmonts weren't a pipe dream and Banjo & Kazooie aren't forgotten. Just to name a few!

Who woulda thunk it eh.

Another bit of enjoyment, a side dish if you will from the main course being the big croc's return, has been that many pre conceived narratives have been smashed (pun intended), eggs have met faces and many slices of humble pie have been served. The landscape has well and truly changed and has had a ripple effect towards other related aspects that goes beyond the Smash boundries. Mainstream coverage, new title,etc. It ain't just a one and done, there is no doubt a lot to look forward to from here on in for DK fans.

Might mosey on over to the All Purpose DK thread with a fresh start ;)

Till next time!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
What a ride this Ultimate speculation period has been. Who would have thought before Ultimate was announced that we would get Banjo & Kazooie, Ridley, and K. Rool as newcomers? August 8, 2018 will always be a day to remember as we finally got our kroc king back in the spotlight. That feeling of getting a character that was your most wanted for years and years can't be replaced. I'm proud of what we accomplished as a group of fans dedicated to keeping K. Rool out of obscurity. From an "irrelevant villain" to certified Nintendo All-Star that has over 5 million views on his trailer alone is nothing short of incredible.

Thanks to all the fellow Kremling Kutthroats for being a great fanbase that never gave up for that decade without any physical appearances and making our voices heard on the ballot. Thanks to BKupa666 BKupa666 for spearheading the Kremling Kampaign over the years. Your passion for K. Rool definitely inspired all of us here. Now hopefully the king will make his grand return as he deserves so. Big things are coming for DKC. The future is bright for K. Rool for years to come.

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda late but eh, there it goes:

Like many of you, King K. Rool was my most wanted character in Smash history. Like many of you, I shed a tear on August 8th, 2018. And like many of you, I'm grinding to represent him as well as possible in the competitive scene.

It's truly been a wild ride.

Huh. Wasn't expecting this "irrelevant" character reference.
This is only the beginning, man...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm glad Ultimate has come to a close; its DLC direction adding virtually all third-parties didn't appeal to me, as a fan of the Nintendo crossover aspect. Beyond that, though, it gives everyone an opportunity to really reflect on the totality of the game as a finished work. And man oh man, I will never get over just how uplifting it is that K. Rool managed to land one of very, very few base game newcomer slots in the best-selling fighting game of all time and bridge the gap between "irrelevant Ugly Rare Character who cannot market any New And Relevant Games" and Nintendo icon overnight. Whenever I go back and rewatch his trailer, still a regular occurrence, I try to put myself in that headspace from 3+ years ago, so even as the reveal I've seen play out dozens of times happens yet again, I never lose sight of just how momentous August 8, 2018, was. K. Rool's addition came from a perfect marriage between a laborious fan movement and sheer luck. The ballot came along at just the right time for us, not just based on our momentum pre-Smash 4 but also on when Nintendo was preparing to plan its big in-house push to make DK an AAA brand again.

The DK series was never going to truly fall by the wayside with Miyamoto around as its #1 advocate, but K. Rool and other Rare characters very much could have kept missing the boat past the point of no return. But we mobilized, gave Nintendo's top brass our unmistakable answer to "Does he really need to come back?" and now appear to be on the precipice of realizing just how far-reaching of an impact our efforts have made. Years ago, everyone's focus was getting K. Rool back in his home series and in Smash, in some combination. I don't think it was in anyone's heads that our quaint #BringBackKRool and #KrocTheVote push would one day put K. Rool in a position to appear in a potential Donkey Kong Illumination movie or at a large-scale DK Island theme park wing at Universal Studios. That Netflix reference now feels like the start of what could become a surreal era for K. Rool and DK fans, and I can't wait to sit back and continue relishing it alongside you all, the folks who had the most direct role this side of Sakurai on making it a reality.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
K Rool was one of my top wanted characters for Smash, and DKC2 is one of my favorite games period. I was always annoyed at the sh-, er, LACKING content for the DK series in Smash 4, baffled that they did not get anyone new, considering the plans with Dixie for Brawl, even with the Returns era being a success. You had TF being made alongside Smash 4 but that was considered too recent to include? The one time Nintendo doesn't push the ad mentality in Smash? Come on.

Anyway, that aside, I was always cheering for K Rool to be added. And I really liked this thread's speculation title of "Become 'One of Us' Today!" I thought that was unique. A reference to the show, but also showing an inviting gesture to people to join a support thread. I think seeing people rally for Nintendo to bring back a popular character also connected with my opinion on Nintendo's usage of characters, particularly with Mario Kart. They have an almost insultingly large catalog of characters, unique and fan favorites, and easy to implement in the game to give someone alittle more attention and spotlight which may increase their popularity even more. But nope, instead it's rainbow color metal mook in a hat. It is such wasted potential. They brought Pauline back and now she is considered a mainstay of the series. So why not include K Rool in Mario Kart, or Mario Party, especially after seeing his popularity getting him into Smash? Clearly the demand is there. I mean, hell, he was referenced in a unrelated TV show. How many Nintendo characters not named Mario, Link or Pikachu get that?

Anyway, that was probably a rant, all to say that I am delighted that K Rool is in Smash along with Banjo and Kazooie and Sora. Now add Dixie please k thanks.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy third anniversary to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! It’s been a wild ride these last few years, and it still hasn’t really kicked in for me that development is basically done. With that said, I’m glad that all of the characters are now available, and that we didn’t have to wait after release day to main King K. Rool. I have a friend who had Sora as their most wanted, and while I’m happy for him, I couldn’t imagine waiting almost three years for your new main.

Regardless, the SoCal Smash scene has been very nice to me, and I plan on continuing going to tournaments throughout next year. King K. Rool is one of the most fun characters they ever added to Smash in my opinion, and it’s very satisfying to destroy other players with the kremling king. I still can’t get over the fact that King K. Rool made it into Ultimate, and I accepted that I never will. As long as I’m having fun rocking the kroc, that’s all that matters to me. Cheers to three years of Ultimate, here’s to many more!

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm suddenly feeling nostalgic after noticing 2021 is coming to an end, and with that this age of Smash, and I want to honor K. Rool for being one of the topics that had me the most engaged with Smash News.

The Kroc is still a very fun character after all these years.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Man what a wild ride 2014 to 2018 was. We earned that inclusion! I always think back to when we were pushing so hard for our king's invitation. Little did we know, Sakurai's Ballot was going to give us our dream. I hope you're all doing well and everyone is just as happy with King K. RoOl in Smash Ultimate as I still am. Wishing all the Kutthroats the best of days!

Never forget what we did. Never forget what we MADE happen!

Never 4get.jpg

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

I made this as a documentary style recap of K. Rool's speculation history. If you want to take a trip down memory lane or pick up some parts of the story you forgot, I hope you'll enjoy it.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

I made this as a documentary style recap of K. Rool's speculation history. If you want to take a trip down memory lane or pick up some parts of the story you forgot, I hope you'll enjoy it.
That was a real trip down memory line of my time with "the endeavor" that was pushing for K. Rool as hard as possible to get in this game. Great video! :)

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Good day, everyone! This is the 4th year anniversary where our king was announced as a playable fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all in that August 8th Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct. It truly was our finest hour back then, wasn't it?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy 4th anniversary to King K. Rool in Smash! I have created my last montage for Smash Ultimate today to celebrate. The game is honestly getting pretty stale in my opinion, and I'm ready for a change and shift in focus. I will be putting all of my free time into making video game development a career for myself. However, I will never forget how much getting King K. Rool in Smash means to me. I'm grateful that I got to be a part of the #KrocTheVote movement back in the Smash 4 days, and it's been surreal getting to main my dream character for real after all of this time. I'll never take it for granted! It's been a pleasure competing in Smash Ultimate, and I'm glad I left a legacy with my passion for King K. Rool. Until next time!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Happy 4th anniversary to King K. Rool in Smash! I have created my last montage for Smash Ultimate today to celebrate. The game is honestly getting pretty stale in my opinion, and I'm ready for a change and shift in focus. I will be putting all of my free time into making video game development a career for myself. However, I will never forget how much getting King K. Rool in Smash means to me. I'm grateful that I got to be a part of the #KrocTheVote movement back in the Smash 4 days, and it's been surreal getting to main my dream character for real after all of this time. I'll never take it for granted! It's been a pleasure competing in Smash Ultimate, and I'm glad I left a legacy with my passion for King K. Rool. Until next time!

Good luck with what you intend to do, and while you are at it, have fun doing it! Just remember whatever you do, you'll always be one of us until the end.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy 4th anniversary to Smash Ultimate! On this day in 2018, I immediately booted up Link’s Classic Mode upon starting the game, in order to unlock King K. Rool right away. My life hasn’t been the same ever since! It has been a lot of fun competiting in Smash Ultimate for those few years, but as of August 8th of this year, I stopped competing entirely. As I figure out other aspects of my life at the moment, I reflected on how amazing the King K. Rool in Smash experience has been.

• I joined the SoCal Smash community and became one of the few notable King K. Rool mains there, since I was living in Chicago during Smash 4.

I started a YouTube channel and amassed over 700 subscribers so far, making fun montages, VODs, and hosting my reaction to King K. Rool getting into Smash

• I got to witness the movement of King K. Rool for Smash during the Smash 4 days, voted for him in the ballot, signed the Thank You letter sent to Sakurai, and saw the mainstream impact King K. Rool being added had on the public conscience.

• I met a ton of fantastic people on here, at tournaments, through other things like YouTube and Discord, and more. As an older fan of King K. Rool, I also feel like I and many others inspired a younger generation of gamers on why we love King K. Rool so much. It’s thanks to us, the people who grew up with the original DKC trilogy and DK64, that we passed the baton onto the younger fans to keep the passion for King K. Rool alive.

With all of this said, I do feel like the Golen Era of Smash Ultimate is now past us. The meta has finally had time to settle, as Sora was added to the game over a year ago now. At this point, I feel like I’ve seen as much as I’m willing to with the game. Characters like Palutena, Pikachu, and Pyra/Mythra are still really hard matchups for King K. Rool. The people that are still competing at this point are the ones that never really stopped, and have gotten very good at the game. I also feel fatigued from following Smash speculation for several years, and it feels good to focus on other aspects of my life now. I won’t ever forget how much King K. Rool getting into Smash means to me, but its time has happened. Hopefully we can see King K. Rool in other games sometime in the future. Thank you everyone for making this community an amazing one to remember. I will always be “One of Us”!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Every time a new Nintendo Direct gets announced, my wish to see a new Donkey Kong game with King K. Rool returning always dominates over anything else I could ever want from a Direct. It may or may not happen, but I look forward to tomorrow’s Nintendo Direct nonetheless!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What's the general consensus on K. Rool as a competitive character right now?

Been playing the kroc since the day I unlocked him and he's still my main to this day. I'm far from the best player but I've noticed that he seems to have some surprisingly decent match-ups with at least a few generally higher level of play characters. His versatility, armor and his faster attacks help a great deal with that.

I do wish he had gotten a few more buffs before the DLC updates were completed, but in the end I still think we got a very solid super heavyweight character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
An individual’s insanity is Rare
But in K. Rool’s Kutthroats, Kountries and Kremispheres
It is the Rool!

The Bring Back K. Rool movement always had some roots in the Donkey Kong Country animated series, from Smash Ballot memes to posts of “One of Us” whenever we’d get a new member to join the Kutthroat list. Now, close to five years after K. Rool’s Smash reveal, here’s a loving depiction of the character’s meta journey from forgotten to fighter in an amazingly cool full-circle manner. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It is the Rool!

The Bring Back K. Rool movement always had some roots in the Donkey Kong Country animated series, from Smash Ballot memes to posts of “One of Us” whenever we’d get a new member to join the Kutthroat list. Now, close to five years after K. Rool’s Smash reveal, here’s a loving depiction of the character’s meta journey from forgotten to fighter in an amazingly cool full-circle manner. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
They got the cartoon voice actors of Klump, K. Rool and Donkey Kong to reprise their role? I'm absolutely surprised!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
What's the general consensus on K. Rool as a competitive character right now?

Been playing the kroc since the day I unlocked him and he's still my main to this day. I'm far from the best player but I've noticed that he seems to have some surprisingly decent match-ups with at least a few generally higher level of play characters. His versatility, armor and his faster attacks help a great deal with that.

I do wish he had gotten a few more buffs before the DLC updates were completed, but in the end I still think we got a very solid super heavyweight character.
I'd say he's sadly low tier, low mid at best. Armor is useful, loads of confirms, great kill power, and being a super heavy who can projectile zone (without worrying about the projectiles getting sent back at him) make for an incredibly fun character. Sadly, however, being so big, having a slow run speed and a few attacks that are slower than one would like, in addition to a surprisingly exploitable recovery, hold him back too severely. Even DK seems to be performing much better than K Rool as of late. Though I'll never let that stop me from playing and loving the kroc!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It is the Rool!

It's.....beautiful... Once a Kutthroat. ALWAYS a Kutthroat!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom