• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Could you imagine if King K. Rool missed the base roster, wasn't announced as a DLC fighter, and we would only end up getting his Mii costume from Smash 4 as DLC? I will never get over how lucky we are to have King K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. My condolences to the Geno supporters, they did not deserve this. I will always cherish having playable King K. Rool in Smash after the pain we endured during the Smash 4 days.
I think we are blessed that King K. Rool is playable despite his popularity as we know popularity isn't always the reason a character will get chosen. Geno for example is owned by Square-Enix and despite his popularity, Square-Enix, Nintendo, or both probably didn't wanted to play ball or thought his inclusion wouldn't benifit them so they just brought back the Mii costume as he wasn't part of their plans. With K. Rool though, they have a plan to bring him back as DKC's main antagonist again which is probably why he got in. His popularity allowed for us to get Nintendo's attention and now they know how valuable of a character K. Rool is and recognizes him as a top tier iconic Nintendo villain now.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Now 2 years have passed, and a lot of things have changed around here (for the worst)

Smash Ultimate to this day stands as my most played game on Switch, over Seven Hundred Hours. Compared to other large games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Bug Fables, Hyrule Warriors DE, and so on, this game is still the one i play the most, even though i don't touch it that much nowadays.

That is in part thanks to K.Rool's arrival, he has been on my top 5 most played fighters since the game's launch, and with the current Direction the DLC is heading, this will not change at all (i miss Nintendo characters being a central focus point) if the Online was Free and Functional, I might play more nowadays, but i think i had enough, outisde of revisiting it every Sunday (Smash Sunday, that sounds about right for me)

For as much as i hate the likes of Joker and Sephiroth, and dissapointed that the likes of Geno have been thrown out the wayside and the likes of Dixie and Bandanna Dee are laughed at, im still happy that the Kremling King made it, and it reminds me as to while i don't care for most of the DLC choices, i was spoiled rotten in the base game (Wolf, Ridley, Simon and K.Rool), and i enjoyed most of it.

It's too late to say Merry Christmas, so Happy New Year for anyone reading this in Dec 31st.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’m just getting tired of the range and power creep that comes with DLC, regardless of who the DLC’s are. The balance team mostly taking a vacation this year thanks to covid hasn’t helped either, tho guess I should be thankful we’re still getting the character releases on schedule with that said despite the diminishing character adjustments as of late. Online I’ve ever really played within my social circle which has been serviceable enough on that front, but the elite/quick players definitely deserve better.

But yeah, happy holidays and stuff. ^^

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy New Year everyone! Kulty Kulty and I kicked off 2021 by beating both Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 in co-op, continuing on from our Donkey Kong Country 1 co-op playthrough from last year. It was a blast! Since this year is Donkey Kong's 40th anniversary, hopefully this is the year that the kremling king comes back home to the Donkey Kong franchise. Cheers!

My video on our playthrough:

Kulty's video on our playtrhough:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Subscribed to Nintendo Switxh online a while back since it was long overdue.

It took a lot practice (and patience), bur I just got K. Rool into Elite Smash through many, many even 1v1 matches. Fighting battles as him is SO satisfying.
Playing online in Smash sucks as half of the time I feel like my opponents get their inputs in faster than me either due to the lag or their Internet connection being better than mine. I've already gotten K. Rool, Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., and Min Min into Elite Smash, but I'm afraid to play more with them in Quickplay because of possibly getting them kicked out of Elite. Does a Lan adapter help any at all with the connection?

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been around too much in this thread since the confirmation, but I'm in the Dixie Kong thread mainly and seeing her position along with Donkey Kong (Series) as it stands now made me realize just how much of a hurdle it's been to get K. Rool in Smash. Do you remember all of the detractors in 2014/5 and how they always attacked K. Rool and K. Rool fans alike? Looking back, it's absolutely annoying to see those same people who bombarded K. Rool with hate and protest now embracing him and trying to pretend he was always a shoo-in and was actually important to Donkey Kong's history if not an integral part of Nintendo's history altogether and part of this comes from a rant I did in the Dixie Kong thread. Before Ultimate, it was either Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong as the defacto DK newcomers or nothing. Then came Funky.

Now that K. Rool is in, Donkey Kong is seen as complete and poor Dixie is seen as a Diddy clone that doesn't add anything when that is far from the truth if you've played DKC2. Wasn't K. Rool a Bowser clone according to those now-quiet haters? Every Kutthroat who was in the Smash For K. Rool thread knows full well what I mean. I fear the timeline where K. Rool didn't make it; not even being replaced as the 3rd DK rep, just not in the game as a playable fighter. Sorry for airing out old grievances but I really hate how fickle some parts of the Smash fandom was and still is. The schadenfreude culture it harbors is sickening.

Never settle for less. You wouldn't have gotten K. Rool on the roster if you did and those haters know it, or they wouldn't call Dixie fans greedy for still wanting her as DLC for this game. The spite still runs strong in their veins.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't been around too much in this thread since the confirmation, but I'm in the Dixie Kong thread mainly and seeing her position along with Donkey Kong (Series) as it stands now made me realize just how much of a hurdle it's been to get K. Rool in Smash. Do you remember all of the detractors in 2014/5 and how they always attacked K. Rool and K. Rool fans alike? Looking back, it's absolutely annoying to see those same people who bombarded K. Rool with hate and protest now embracing him and trying to pretend he was always a shoo-in and was actually important to Donkey Kong's history if not an integral part of Nintendo's history altogether and part of this comes from a rant I did in the Dixie Kong thread. Before Ultimate, it was either Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong as the defacto DK newcomers or nothing. Then came Funky.

Now that K. Rool is in, Donkey Kong is seen as complete and poor Dixie is seen as a Diddy clone that doesn't add anything when that is far from the truth if you've played DKC2. Wasn't K. Rool a Bowser clone according to those now-quiet haters? Every Kutthroat who was in the Smash For K. Rool thread knows full well what I mean. I fear the timeline where K. Rool didn't make it; not even being replaced as the 3rd DK rep, just not in the game as a playable fighter. Sorry for airing out old grievances but I really hate how fickle some parts of the Smash fandom was and still is. The schadenfreude culture it harbors is sickening.

Never settle for less. You wouldn't have gotten K. Rool on the roster if you did and those haters know it, or they wouldn't call Dixie fans greedy for still wanting her as DLC for this game. The spite still runs strong in their veins.
If K. Rool didn't make it into Ultimate, these trolls and detractors would be making fun of us K. Rool fans and harassing us like they did to the Geno fans after he was supposely deconfirmed when his Mii costume came back with Sephiroth. These ******** secretly wish we were living in the timeline where K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were still not in and didn't make it into Ultimate. Bunch of two face revisionist son of a ***** I tell you.

Handy Man

Smash Ace

A new Nintendo Direct is coming, but more than anything, I really want a brand new Donkey Komg game with King K. Rool returning as the main villain. Please make it happen Nintendo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Direct drought is finally over. Now, will the DK drought follow suit? Let's find out tomorrow night and hype responsibly in the meantime...
I say that if nothing happens by July (the birth month of DK), then we panic.

In the meantime, someone's been drawing Smash characters in the style of Cuphead/1930s cartoons, and naturally our monarch got his turn:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I say that if nothing happens by July (the birth month of DK), then we panic.

In the meantime, someone's been drawing Smash characters in the style of Cuphead/1930s cartoons, and naturally our monarch got his turn:

K. Rool fits right in the 1930s cartoons. Rare's characters always had that Looney Tunes style and feel to them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think folks in here will find this DK Vine write-up informative as to what’s been happening with our series during these slower recent years and where its future stands today.

Pieces of this information have been known for years, but for some reason or another, gaming news aggregators really started piling on this morning, whether echoing existing sources or sharing information they independently have received. The one caveat I’ll throw out, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has confirmed definitively that this is The Mario Odyssey Team handling DK, rather, this is a team within Nintendo EPD that may or may not have some level of overlap with folks who worked on Odyssey.

I don’t want to get my hopes too high for an E3 2021 reveal, but mainline DK does have a consistent track record of being shown at E3 or its given year’s E3 equivalent since DKC2. That, combined with this being DK’s 40th anniversary, leaves me feeling as optimistic for next month as I was for Banjo’s Smash reveal at E3 2019 two years ago.

It just feels right, and with any luck, we’ll see the Bring Back K. Rool movement realize its ultimate goal, restoring the Kremling King to the home series he never should have left.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As far as the Kremlings are concerned, outside of K. Rool I’d expect to see the return of the Kritters, Klaptraps, Krushas and Klumps at the very least. As far as Animal Budfies are concerned, could we also see the return of Enguarde and Winky?
I'd also like to see Necky, Gnawty, Army, the Zinger bees and other enemies return, too.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Would anyone here like to see the return of those Barrel Blast Kremlings (Kip, Kass, Kalypso, and Kludge) as a sort of entourage for K. Rool? If nothing else, I'd like to see Kludge as a boss.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Would anyone here like to see the return of those Barrel Blast Kremlings (Kip, Kass, Kalypso, and Kludge) as a sort of entourage for K. Rool? If nothing else, I'd like to see Kludge as a boss.
At the very least it would be cool if Krusha and Klump were promoted to K. Rool’s main henchmen.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
'Twas the night before E3
And all through the net
The fans held their breath
That DK Switch, they would get
The bananas were laid by the console with care
In hopes the Direct wouldn't showcase shovelware
The Kongs were napping all sound in their trees
Their franchise, on hiatus since Tropical Freeze
And K. Rool and his Kremlings, like Krusha and Krash
Were raring to go from their spotlight in Smash
Then, wrapping up, Koizumi teased "One more thing..."
About time, the Donkey Kong series, again, became king.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
After today's Sakurai Presents Kazuya presentation, it feels crazy that speculation is almost over for Ultimate. With that said, I can't get over how lucky King K. Rool was to be in this game. It feels like the selection for most of the DLC characters in particular have gone in a drastically different direction than the base roster characters. To be honest, King K. Rool really doesn't fit in with most of the Ultimate newcomers, as he doesn't really promote a game or has any other recent appearances. It feels like Ultimate really wanted to prioritize new games or better relationships with third parties over something more like Brawl's roster, which added many highly requested characters at the time. Characters like Joker, Terry, Sephiroth, and Kazuya had very quiet support before they got into the game, while others like Byleth, Min-Min, and Pyra/Mythra were added to help sell other first-party Nintendo Switch games. I guess my point is that, while characters are added for more than marketing reasons, I can't help but feel that Ultimate's DLC was mostly done so that Nintendo has better working relationships with other companies. I don't think King K. Rool would have been a DLC character at all if he wasn't in the base roster.

On top of that, when Sakurai announced today's Mii costumes, he even said "these were highly requested characters". The fact that we haven't had to worry about dodging bullets like that for almost three years now is a real blessing. I always find it a bit too convenient how many people today are like "King K. Rool was an icon of the 90s, he's in Smash because he's an iconic Nintendo baddie and a major character in Donkey Kong Country", but only three years ago, the very same people were saying "he last appeared in a baseball game a decade ago, Nintendo doesn't care about him and he's irrelevant and ugly and he's too much like Bowser". It breaks my heart that other highly requested characters today had to deal with the Mii costume drama, and I really hate revisionism in general. My condolences to everyone who wanted characters like Geno and Isaac in the game. I honestly expected that King K. Rool would be able to fight characters like Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad by now, but Nintendo and Sakurai went in a drastically different direction for the DLC.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed in the direction Sakurai and Nintendo decided to take the roster into. It feels like Smash isn't the same Nintendo All-Star game I once grew up with, it's more of a catch-all gaming celebration now. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just makes King K. Rool even more lucky to be here than he would be otherwise. King K. Rool, along with Ridley and even Banjo & Kazooie, were absolutely added solely for their fan demand over promoting anything in particular, and I'll forever be thankful for that. However, it feels like Sakurai and Nintendo overall prefer adding "surprising' characters over "wanted" characters. Many characters that eventually became Mii costumes in Ultimate were requested just as much as King K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were before their reveals, but for whatever reason, many characters that were seldom mentioned joined the fight instead. I guess my point is that I wish Ultimate prioritized ticking off big fan requests before anything else, but that clearly didn't happen. Regardless, while the Ultimate newcomers overall have been very unpredictable, I'm grateful that King K. Rool wasn't ignored and was chosen for his fan demand over shock value.

Also, I was thinking back to a comment that BKupa666 made a while ago, and it hits the nail on the head about how I feel on the direction the DLC characters have taken. King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie really were the exceptions; all of the fighter pass 2 characters so far have primarily been from Japanese games, with the exception of Steve. Even then, Steve still falls under "series Sakurai personally likes", as he has discussed Minecraft before and showed us his Minecraft creations. I expect the last character to be from a Japanese game as well.
Yeah, K. Rool and Banjo fans ought to thank their lucky stars for the ballot now more than ever before. Byleth makes it extremely readily apparent that our so-called Ugly Rare Characters were the exceptions to the rule of DLC being protagonists from Japanese games or series Sakurai personally likes, not any kind of new norm.

Knowing that there are going to be fans who spend the next two years holding out hope for Western characters and characters from series Sakurai does not personally like makes me wince.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
After today's Sakurai Presents Kazuya presentation, it feels crazy that speculation is almost over for Ultimate. With that said, I can't get over how lucky King K. Rool was to be in this game. It feels like the selection for most of the DLC characters in particular have gone in a drastically different direction than the base roster characters. To be honest, King K. Rool really doesn't fit in with most of the Ultimate newcomers, as he doesn't really promote a game or has any other recent appearances. It feels like Ultimate really wanted to prioritize new games or better relationships with third parties over something more like Brawl's roster, which added many highly requested characters at the time. Characters like Joker, Terry, Sephiroth, and Kazuya had very quiet support before they got into the game, while others like Byleth, Min-Min, and Pyra/Mythra were added to help sell other first-party Nintendo Switch games. I guess my point is that, while characters are added for more than marketing reasons, I can't help but feel that Ultimate's DLC was mostly done so that Nintendo has better working relationships with other companies. I don't think King K. Rool would have been a DLC character at all if he wasn't in the base roster.

On top of that, when Sakurai announced today's Mii costumes, he even said "these were highly requested characters". The fact that we haven't had to worry about dodging bullets like that for almost three years now is a real blessing. I always find it a bit too convenient how many people today are like "King K. Rool was an icon of the 90s, he's in Smash because he's an iconic Nintendo baddie and a major character in Donkey Kong Country", but only three years ago, the very same people were saying "he last appeared in a baseball game a decade ago, Nintendo doesn't care about him and he's irrelevant and ugly and he's too much like Bowser". It breaks my heart that other highly requested characters today had to deal with the Mii costume drama, and I really hate revisionism in general. My condolences to everyone who wanted characters like Geno and Isaac in the game. I honestly expected that King K. Rool would be able to fight characters like Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad by now, but Nintendo and Sakurai went in a drastically different direction for the DLC.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed in the direction Sakurai and Nintendo decided to take the roster into. It feels like Smash isn't the same Nintendo All-Star game I once grew up with, it's more of a catch-all gaming celebration now. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just makes King K. Rool even more lucky to be here than he would be otherwise. King K. Rool, along with Ridley and even Banjo & Kazooie, were absolutely added solely for their fan demand over promoting anything in particular, and I'll forever be thankful for that. However, it feels like Sakurai and Nintendo overall prefer adding "surprising' characters over "wanted" characters. Many characters that eventually became Mii costumes in Ultimate were requested just as much as King K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were before their reveals, but for whatever reason, many characters that were seldom mentioned joined the fight instead. I guess my point is that I wish Ultimate prioritized ticking off big fan requests before anything else, but that clearly didn't happen. Regardless, while the Ultimate newcomers overall have been very unpredictable, I'm grateful that King K. Rool wasn't ignored and was chosen for his fan demand over shock value.

Also, I was thinking back to a comment that BKupa666 made a while ago, and it hits the nail on the head about how I feel on the direction the DLC characters have taken. King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie really were the exceptions; all of the fighter pass 2 characters so far have primarily been from Japanese games, with the exception of Steve. Even then, Steve still falls under "series Sakurai personally likes", as he has discussed Minecraft before and showed us his Minecraft creations. I expect the last character to be from a Japanese game as well.
honestly i gotta agree......most of the dlc characters weren't "ZOMG! they are finally in!" picks with lots of fan support and considering this is smash ultimate

it's a shame Shantae had to settle for a mii costume when this was probably her last chance to get into smash brothers

the mii costumes probably had more support than kazuya did before he was relevealed

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
GangplankGalleon.JPG

1625547852833.png
Do you think K. Rool knew and thought it was worth the risk, or is this just more evidence that he's never had any idea what he's doing and just wanted to larp as a pirate?
Also makes me wonder if Rare knew about this particular superstition or just really liked pirates (it's definitely the latter).

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy third anniversary of King K. Rool being announced for Smash! Time really does fly. I thought I would get over him being a part of the roster by now, but I still have a hard time accepting it even to this day. Maybe it’s because of a combination of things, like how devastated we were with the Smash 4 Mii costume, no news on a brand new DK game, and many other highly requested characters becoming Mii costumes or assist trophies in Ultimate. Regardless, King K. Rool’s inclusion in Ultinate is truly special. His popularity has skyrocketed in ways uninaginable three years ago, and he’s finally recgonized as the iconic Nintendo baddie he was always meant to be. Cheers, here’s to many more years of the kremling king!

I also created a montage to celebrate King K. Rool’s third Smash anniversary, enjoy!

Laniv

Smash Champion
Happy third anniversary of King K. Rool being (finally) confirmed for Smash Bros.! I celebrated by drawing that one render of him from Jungle Climber:

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Happy King K. Rool day everyone! It's already been 3 years already. Time sure does fly indeed.

I was thinking the other day that perhaps there is an alternate timeline that exists where Rare never left Nintendo and the DK series would get a new game at least once every 2-3 years. The series wouldn't have has many games as Mario, The Legend of Zelda, or Pokemon, but the series would still get a bunch of games. At the same time, in that said alternate timeline, perhaps we wouldn't appreciate the DK series and King K. Rool like we do in this timeline. I have seen hardcore loyal fans with so much support for K. Rool and other DK characters as well as a lot of dedicated fan art for them.

As for this timeline, it is what it is, and I'm okay with that because it was K. Rool's long absence that made us miss him and truly appreciate him. It made his Smash Ultimate reveal all that much sweeter and it is an experience we will all never forget and tell our future descendants about. Even when a few years have passed, we all still remember where we were the day he was revealed. I will always be happy to be apart of the Kremling fan base. I have never seen a Smash character receive the love and dedication that K. Rool has. I would also argue I have never seen a Nintendo character receive the love and dedication the Kremling King has.

Last edited:
Top Bottom