• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy second anniversary to King K. Rool in Smash! I still very fondly remember the day he got announced, King K. Rool was the most excited I got for any character reveal by far. Whenever I'm feeling down, I sometimes like to go back and watch reactions of his reveal trailer, as well as look at page 169 on this very thread to bask in the hype of that day. As someone who wanted King K. Rool incredibly badly and has been going to tournaments since 2013, being able to use my ballot character in competitive still feels like a dream. Cheers to two years, hopefully King K. Rool comes back to his home series soon!

Also, to celebrate today, I created a 30 minute retrospective on my time on this website. This video looks back on various posts I made over the years; from being bullied for supporting him during Smash 4, to predicting his viability, to seeing him going from a ballot character to a real character, this video covers a lot. Timestamps are in the description as well, if you want to hear something specific. Enjoy!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I can't believe this is the first time I'm posting in this thread, but happy 2nd anniversary of getting our beloved king croc in Smash! I have always been an avid supporter of King K. Rool for plenty of years. I always loved the DK games and I thought King K. Rool was easily one of the best Nintendo villains of all time for his wacky and cartoony nature. Its so surreal to think that he has been in the game for two years now, but I guess that is what happens when you're having fun playing as him in Smash! Hopefully we can get him in some mainline titles soon!

Laniv

Smash Champion
It's been two years, huh... Never have we been so happy to see Donkey Kong opening his mouth...

1596907769584.png

There is still something indescribable about this shot when paired with the opening bars of Gangplank Galleon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Happy 2nd birthday to K. Rool's inclusion! He's still one of my most exciting reveal moments up to date. Since Retro is busy on Metroid Prime 4, hopefully we'll hear about whether or not a different studio is handling a DKC title that features him again.

Last edited:

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
It's been 2 years... times flies, eh?

My and countless other people's dream Smash character rose from the dead exactly 2 years ago... the memories of August 8th, 2018 and the buildup surrounding this day's legendary Direct will never go away... I remember being anxious about the fact that I couldn't watch it live, and boy was I lucky to avoid spoilers...

The Bloody Tears leak, the Sakurai red eyes tweet, Vergeben's "no new DK reps" statement, the Klaptrap's quick appearance in the AT montage. All this tension culminating when I started hearing the footsteps... the split second when the trailer started with this now-iconic artwork of Mario trying to save Peach from Bowser's grip, kicking off the heroes vs villains montage... DK yawning... the Dedede fakeout... and our obese overlord, done justice and then some. I, and countless other people, had their eyes drowning in tears of joy*.

What seemed to be a campaign that was going to fall on deaf ears, and the painstakingly long wait going back to the Brawl (and for some, the Melee) days, paid off. Now, my favorite fictional kharacter, K. Rool, is back in action and immortalized among Nintendo's pantheon. And he was singlehandedly brought back by the fans.

I'm extending a virtual pat in the back to all my fellow K. Rool enthusiasts and DK fans across the globe, whether you are a diehard competitive solo main of the character or a casual player that enjoys him a lot! Even though he's far from being the best character in the game, bringing him back was never about making him top tier. Rather, it was about getting him back in the spotlight so that entire generations could enjoy him again. Here's hoping for better days for our king, not the mention the DK brand as a whole...

EDIT: To avoid doubleposting, I'll just say that I find LeeSmash4Me's MU chart surprisingly fair: while he acknowledges that K. Rool definitely has a few winning MUs, he doesn't do so by falling into the sugarcoating trap. Also, when it comes to MU charts, one of my major pet peeves is that people usually don't increment tiers by .5 (rather by 1). What LS4ME did allows for a pretty accurate picture of his opinions on K. Rool's MU spread, preventing the tiers from getting too crowded. More people should follow this format, IMO. Btw, cheers for meeting a fellow Quebec K. Rool!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy 2 year anniversary Kutthroats! I can't believe it's been 2 years ago when our king was revealed. It felt like it was just yesterday since I saw that Direct and I had butterflies in my stomach when I heard the rumbling noise when Sakurai was pretending to close out the Direct because right then and there I knew he was coming. Hopefully, K. Rool returns to the DKC franchise sooner whether than later. Come on Nintendo! Give us the next chapter of the DKC franchise!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

2 years. I can't believe it. Two years since our beloved King K. Rool made his grand return in the biggest stage possible. It's still surreal that we the fans made the biggest difference in getting him into Smash. As Avatar Roku says in Avatar: The Last Airbender, "It was bitter work, but the results were worth it." I don't see K. Rool fading into obscurity anytime soon, especially with all the talks of something huge happening for the DK series in the future. I'm proud to be a K. Rool main as he is my most played character in Ultimate. I'll continue to have fun playing as him despite what his position in so-called tiers. Without us, K. Rool would have not gotten in Smash. I still cherish his inclusion very much.

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Wow, two years since the crazy croc's reveal, time flies! What a magical moment the reveal was, the sheer outpouring of emotion and passion was amazing. Still love playing him in Elite Smash and regardless of his viability, he will remain one of my mains. It was also Rare's 35th anniversary this week!

Sharing a K.Rool plush that I posted on my Instagram recently, it's probabaly one of the more common pieces of Kremling merch, but this one has all his parts and is in very good shape! Enjoy :0

http://instagr.am/p/CDS83WTpoZy/

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Laniv

Smash Champion
Some news: Nintendo has applied for 8 new trademarks in Japan, including Donkey Kong Country:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

In all likelihood, this probably doesn't mean anything, but considering that the DKC games were known as Super Donkey Kong in Japan, and that DK's 40th anniversary is next year, this could be gearing up for something big.

Who knows? Maybe we might even see a certain king-sized croc again...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some news: Nintendo has applied for 8 new trademarks in Japan, including Donkey Kong Country:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

In all likelihood, this probably doesn't mean anything, but considering that the DKC games were known as Super Donkey Kong in Japan, and that DK's 40th anniversary is next year, this could be gearing up for something big.

Who knows? Maybe we might even see a certain king-sized croc again...
I'd say it's likely. The king's promotion has kick-started some plans into motion, so I figure that they'll come into fruition with this new info.

Also, here's a new fan art featuring another fellow reptile (of a sort).

Laniv

Smash Champion
Exciting! Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest is coming to Nintendo Switch Online!

In between this and the trademark, something may very well be in the pipeline...

EDIT: posted the wrong link...

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Can’t wait to play Donkey Kong Country 2 again! Here is the tweet of the announcement in case anyone wants to see it:

Also, the recent trademark rumors remind me of when King K. Rool got trademarked for the Wii U release of DK Jungle Climber. Hopefully our finest hour is upon us for King K. Rool’s return to his home series.

Lastly, I made a King K. Rool montage recently, and it quickly blew up as my most viewed video on my channel by far. Here it is if anyone wants to check it out!

Handy Man

Smash Ace

I really hope King K. Rool is added into Smash. We haven't seen him in over a decade, but he's so important to the Donkey Kong series, and we need more villains and heavies really badly. He could use his moves from his boss fights, and he's number one in fan polls. They'll definitely add him over characters like Corrin and Bayo-

... What's that? King K. Rool was added back in August 2018? We live in the best timeline. With that said, I'm always excited to see who the kremling king can spar with next. I can't wait for tomorrow's news, it's been a long time since we got any information.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I wonder how our king will fare against Steve. Could be a bad matchup, but I can see him having the tools to overcome, as well
Going with what I was saying with my previous post, but I always think it’s cool to see who the kremling king can spar with next. It’s honestly the biggest reason why I get excited over the fighter passes. King K. Rool was my most wanted character by far, so it has been a pleasure being comfy with the roster since August 2018 and just seeing the new characters roll in. I wasn’t even mad about Byleth because of that.

King K. Rool went on a hiatus after Mario Super Sluggers, a year before Minecraft released, so when King K. Rool finally came back in Ultimate, he’s matched against this behemoth game series that didn’t even exist until after his last appearance. King K. Rool and Steve also debuted with completely seperate generations of gamers, and both can be seen as “dream come true” characters for people who grew up with either of them. Plus the fact that they used King K. Rool to showcase Steve’s final smash. I love this game so much.

Anyway, in terms of the matchup, it does look like Steve the advantage. Steve’s biggest strength will be his options for stopping our propellor pack, as he has a lot of choices. However, he needs materials to create most of them, and since Steve doesn’t have a reflector, King K. Rool can interrupt him on-stage a bit with crown and blunderbuss. Nair will also be good against Steve’s up B. Overall, I think Steve wins the matchup, but if you can interrupt Steve constantly and nit let him land, it might not be as hard as other matchups. Recovering is going to be hard though, and it will require mixups, no way around that.

Lastly, I made a meme.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Going with what I was saying with my previous post, but I always think it’s cool to see who the kremling king can spar with next. It’s honestly the biggest reason why I get excited over the fighter passes. King K. Rool was my most wanted character by far, so it has been a pleasure being comfy with the roster since August 2018 and just seeing the new characters roll in. I wasn’t even mad about Byleth because of that.

King K. Rool went on a hiatus after Mario Super Sluggers, a year before Minecraft released, so when King K. Rool finally came back in Ultimate, he’s matched against this behemoth game series that didn’t even exist until after his last appearance. King K. Rool and Steve also debuted with completely seperate generations of gamers, and both can be seen as “dream come true” characters for people who grew up with either of them. Plus the fact that they used King K. Rool to showcase Steve’s final smash. I love this game so much.

Anyway, in terms of the matchup, it does look like Steve the advantage. Steve’s biggest strength will be his options for stopping our propellor pack, as he has a lot of choices. However, he needs materials to create most of them, and since Steve doesn’t have a reflector, King K. Rool can interrupt him on-stage a bit with crown and blunderbuss. Nair will also be good against Steve’s up B. Overall, I think Steve wins the matchup, but if you can interrupt Steve constantly and nit let him land, it might not be as hard as other matchups. Recovering is going to be hard though, and it will require mixups, no way around that.

Lastly, I made a meme.
Absolutely. It's always fun to see our Kremling king in the reveal trailers like in Incineroar's trailer and Banjo & Kazooie's trailer. It's surreal to me to see him be a part of the core Smash cast now like that since I've waited 17 years since Melee for him to get in.

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MmNNz3hZ-g&feature=youtu.be

Hey fellow K. Rools, you might want to give this a watch. Raphy, one of (if not the) best European K. Rools made a video about Up Air. Kudos to him for shining light on (arguably) one of the most underrated moves in the game by summarizing its potential for creative applications!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my Up air stalling in disadvantage and Ben Gold taking a game off of Samsora at Kongo Saga-style Bair-to-Up airing... why not add some platform stealing for good measure?

Besides (ICYMI), here's an Unreal Engine recreation of the Flying Krock... just in time for DKC2's looming 25th anniversary. Can y'all believe it's been that long?

https://macer.artstation.com/projects/v2mNO6

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

QQS

Smash Lord
Been looking the thread on page 169 and it was amazing! KKR, Ridley and Banjo were a MUST. So do my boy Geno. Hope to say the same “This was only a matter of time” one day to finally be in peace. I know it’s happening, we deserve it. Hope it can be sooner than later! Nice thread guys and best wishes!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy second anniversary to Smash Ultimate! I can’t believe I have been solo maining King K. Rool for the last two years now. After his reveal in August 2018, I remember seeing what his alternate colors would look like, learning about the armor breaking mechanic, playing as him in a mall demo a month before release, and more. A lot has happened since Ultimate’s release, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2021. We are guaranteed four more characters as a part of fighters pass two, the hopeful return of in-person tournaments later in the year, King K. Rool’s junior year of being in Smash Bros., and maybe his return to his home series if a new Donkey Kong game gets announced. Cheers!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy 2 year anniversary to Ultimate and 2 full years of maining K. Rool with y'all Kutthroats! I can't believe it's been 2 years since I first picked up Ultimate and unlocked and played K. Rool for the first time. It's still surreal to see him in the roster after seeing him get overlooked for 4 games straight.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

This is CGI appearance number five, count it, five for K. Rool in a Smash Ultimate trailer.

--His own trailer
--Incineroar's trailer
--World of Light introduction
--Banjo's trailer
--Sephiroth's trailer

Those ballot results must have been a doozy.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

This is CGI appearance number five, count it, five for K. Rool in a Smash Ultimate trailer.

--His own trailer
--Incineroar's trailer
--World of Light introduction
--Banjo's trailer
--Sephiroth's trailer

Those ballot results must have been a doozy.
I'm damn sure K. Rool won the Smash Ballot if not Bayonetta. He was clearly in the top 3.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Big news! Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble is coming to Nintendo Switch Online! The original trilogy is now complete!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Could you imagine if King K. Rool missed the base roster, wasn't announced as a DLC fighter, and we would only end up getting his Mii costume from Smash 4 as DLC? I will never get over how lucky we are to have King K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. My condolences to the Geno supporters, they did not deserve this. I will always cherish having playable King K. Rool in Smash after the pain we endured during the Smash 4 days.

Top Bottom