• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I see it as K. Rool leaving the beef cold with the two for now until we get a new DKC game. When (and yes, I do feel at this point it's a when and not if) K. Rool eventually returns to the DKC series, this trailer will seem dated, but it's an in the moment fan service kind of thing. Best not think too hard on it.
Fair, but I had kind of the same worry too. Here's hoping it was just an aesthetic choice for the joke of K. Rool 2: Electric Boogaloo trailer to work. Part of me does have an irrational worry this is a hint Nintendo wants to Relegate K. Rool to a less cruel, more dopey DeDeDe-esque role, even if he is still the main antag of the DK series. Here's hoping he's still the kind of smashing buzzard to starve Kongs and shoot his captors with guns to rub salt in a wound when he appears in a non Smash title.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
King k rool and banjo were 2 of my top 3 characters i want in and seeing king k rool again being frenemies with donky kong and diddy was a funny bonus

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
This is the most wholesome thing I've ever seen. They've missed their fellow Rare brother and sister. Welcome home Banjo & Kazooie!!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Just got out of the mire of the current speculation craze.
I am so glad that Ridley and King K. Rool got put in the main game. I can't imagine trying to defend their claim to a place in Smash after all this time.
Banjo and Geno fans must be so tired...
It's funny how you posted this and then two days later we can scratch Banjo off that list.

I still agree, though: KKR and Ridley were my most wanted and I had basically given up on BK being anything but a pipe dream (I remember wanting them for MELEE before Rare was sold off, FFS...).

I remember seeing Isaac as an AT and cringed because I knew how many people out there were hoping to see him in the game. Extremely glad we got the roster we did.

Now if only they could do something about KKR's current place in the meta it would be GOLDEN. More balance patches soon, I'm sure...

K Rool got bodied SO HARD BY the trailer. RIP...:ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool:
That was a metaphor for KKR getting pushed down the tier list by unreleased characters. ;)

Again, hoping for balances patches soon...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The way I like to head-canon it, at first it was nothing but war between DK and K. Rool that went on damn near forever until they both realized that in the Smash universe, everything goes right back to the way it was after a match ends. Now they're frenemies that both hate each other and casually hang together because as it is now there's no way for them to settle the score. Now they just beat the crap out of each other daily in matches and let it go after that until (as Raxxel said) we get a new DK game where they can really start the rivalry up again.
Yeah, I can imagine that repeatedly blowing up DK Island can only get so fun, after a while it can get dull for the Rool when this dimension's a loop.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Nice that banjo's in but good lord that wait...I Hope DQ Hero is fun because otherwise It's gonna be a long time until my next potential secondary

I Learned my lesson that solo maining K.Rool was more trouble than it was worth and having a reliable secondary is what i really need

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
This is the most wholesome thing I've ever seen. They've missed their fellow Rare brother and sister. Welcome home Banjo & Kazooie!!
As a Donkey Kong fan in general, that made me smile bigger than I ever have upon seeing that. Especially with King K. cheering as well! ^^ I feel so bad for him when he gets "SMASH'ed by the big rock like Grunty did...lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fair, but I had kind of the same worry too. Here's hoping it was just an aesthetic choice for the joke of K. Rool 2: Electric Boogaloo trailer to work. Part of me does have an irrational worry this is a hint Nintendo wants to Relegate K. Rool to a less cruel, more dopey DeDeDe-esque role, even if he is still the main antag of the DK series. Here's hoping he's still the kind of smashing buzzard to starve Kongs and shoot his captors with guns to rub salt in a wound when he appears in a non Smash title.
I think it’s actually kind of endearing how K.Rool feels comfortable with his former enemies. I mean, the Kongs are probably very laid back anyway, they also never held grudge against Mario for example. So why would they worry about K.Rool? Their last confrontation in DK Jungle Climber ended quite friendly, the Kongs took K.Rool back with the space ship of Xananab while they could’ve just left him alone in outer space.

I salute it personally. It also fits the character and persona of DK, Diddy and K.Rool if you think about it. DK never actually wanted to kill K.Rool, just get back what belonged to him and give K.Rool a beating so he wouldn’t forget who he was messing with. K.Rool responded with that with wrath the first few times, but here ended without his Kremling Krew and just felt like doing a little nap at DK’s place. It’s a testimony to the laid back, easy going nature and forgiveness of the Kongs, and K.Rool being a goofball with some serious imbalanced personality.

Like, he could be an enemy that turns into an ally in a game, or vise versa just because it suits him better.

It’s great characterization honestly!

Also can we all please rally for Dixie Kong now?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well... There was that one time where K. Rool tried to blow up DK Island potentially killing everyone on it... but putting that aside, he was probably tuckered out after all the fighting in his reveal trailer that the Kongs let him crash at their place.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Okay, so I went to two online tournaments this past weekend. Last Friday, I went to Nairo's 5th Ultimate Naifu Wars tournament (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/ultimate-naifu-wars-5/events/ultimate-naifu-wars-5/brackets). I was in pool A9 for that one. I placed 129th out of 734 entrants. Samsora and some other top players were there, so yikes. Lost to an:ultike:in winners and a:ultjoker:in losers. :psycho:

The other one was Dabuz's Galaxy Sized Journey to EVO (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/dabuz-s-galaxy-sized-journey-to-evo/events/ultimate-singles/brackets). I was in pool A7. Was put into losers after round 1 already, bc my opponent kept lagging (no johns btw. I took that L, but was pretty pissed by it). However, I almost barely made out of pools to make top 64 losers' side, but lost to a :ultpalutena: (I HATE THAT MU SO MUCH AS K ROOL). I placed 65th out of 474 entrants.

I went solo :ultkrool: for both. It might be time that I pick back up :ultmario: as my secondary and my first original character loyalist.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I went to two online tournaments this past weekend. Last Friday, I went to Nairo's 5th Ultimate Naifu Wars tournament (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/ultimate-naifu-wars-5/events/ultimate-naifu-wars-5/brackets). I was in pool A9 for that one. I placed 129th out of 734 entrants. Samsora and some other top players were there, so yikes. Lost to an:ultike:in winners and a:ultjoker:in losers. :psycho:

The other one was Dabuz's Galaxy Sized Journey to EVO (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/dabuz-s-galaxy-sized-journey-to-evo/events/ultimate-singles/brackets). I was in pool A7. Was put into losers after round 1 already, bc my opponent kept lagging (no johns btw. I took that L, but was pretty pissed by it). However, I almost barely made out of pools to make top 64 losers' side, but lost to a :ultpalutena: (I HATE THAT MU SO MUCH AS K ROOL). I placed 65th out of 474 entrants.

I went solo :ultkrool: for both. It might be time that I pick back up :ultmario: as my secondary and my first original character loyalist.
Congrats! But I definitely think you should pick up Mario. Definitely a solid secondary to our boy. Some match ups just aren't fair for us.

It's honestly so heartbreaking and feels so unfair, but I really don't think K Rool can win or go even in every match up. I truly think solo K Rool is completely unviable. I'd say most match ups are not in our favor, but some are just completely skewed, like 70/30 skewed. If I could change anything, it would be this. Feels bad man.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Congrats! But I definitely think you should pick up Mario. Definitely a solid secondary to our boy. Some match ups just aren't fair for us.

It's honestly so heartbreaking and feels so unfair, but I really don't think K Rool can win or go even in every match up. I truly think solo K Rool is completely unviable. I'd say most match ups are not in our favor, but some are just completely skewed, like 70/30 skewed. If I could change anything, it would be this. Feels bad man.
Oh yeah it does suck. I just wish they buffed K Rool tbh and that the devs do not listen to the wrong side of the community. Some matchups are just so frustrating despite not being unwinnable, but I wish that K Rool has better tools to prevent opponents from pressuring him too much up-close since his OOS options are slow and quite laggy. Plus he doesn't have a lot of great get-of-me tools to reset neutral (only has like jab, up-tilt, nair and dash attack, but all of them are so easy to punish).

I won't give up on solo:ultkrool:just yet since I still have yet to master the matchups, but I feel it's soon time for me to pick up :ultmario: along with him.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah it does suck. I just wish they buffed K Rool tbh and that the devs do not listen to the wrong side of the community. Some matchups are just so frustrating despite not being unwinnable, but I wish that K Rool has better tools to prevent opponents from pressuring him too much up-close since his OOS options are slow and quite laggy. Plus he doesn't have a lot of great get-of-me tools to reset neutral (only has like jab, up-tilt, nair and dash attack, but all of them are so easy to punish).

I won't give up on solo:ultkrool:just yet since I still have yet to master the matchups, but I feel it's soon time for me to pick up :ultmario: along with him.
I mean, don't ruin the game for yourself. I know those match ups aren't fun, and it's frustrating playing a losing match up constantly. I think picking up a secondary is always a good idea. If nothing else you'll learn something new about the game.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
King K. Rool's the kind of character where there's no middle ground in his matchups. He's either beating the opponent outright or the opponent is beating him outright. Sadly, a lot of matchups fall into that latter category.

Kulty

Smash Ace
If you guys want to see me getting destroyed by a goddess :p, here's the person who eliminated me in losers to make top 64 in Dabuz's tournament. Do you guys have any advice on Palu and how you guys deal with her?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Man those look good. Makes me even more sad that they weren't alt costumes.
On this subject, why the bloody, flipping hell isn't Nintendo offering costumes like these for sale as DLC...? (or at all?)

Wedding Tuxedo Bowser, Meowser, Kaptain K., Roolenstein… there's a disgusting amount of potential for costumes.

I'm normally not one to encourage companies to go full greed mode in their games, but they could fund a SSBU esports league and finance future development of DLC for a decade plus on the sales of costumes alone...

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
On this subject, why the bloody, flipping hell isn't Nintendo offering costumes like these for sale as DLC...? (or at all?)

Wedding Tuxedo Bowser, Meowser, Kaptain K., Roolenstein… there's a disgusting amount of potential for costumes.

I'm normally not one to encourage companies to go full greed mode in their games, but they could fund a SSBU esports league and finance future development of DLC for a decade plus on the sales of costumes alone...
Nintendo absolutely has us in a position where we're willing to pony up and spend whatever amount of money needed to make our video game experiences better, as evidenced by the idea of DLC costumes being mentioned in the first place. If they're delivering quality products, we're gonna pay.

Hey, I can't be mad at them. It's business. That's the hard truth.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Guess only time will tell at this point.

We've yet to see what DLC will hold beyond the Fighter's Pass, if anything. Given how huge and successful Ultimate has been though it seems reasonable that Nintendo would continue to support it, offering more new content and updates, not just general online services and tournaments. If we don't get yet more new fighters I don't see why they couldn't at least starting offering some smaller DLC like more alternate costumes or new spirits.

Among others, I'd love to see alts. like K. Rool's past disguises, Toon Link's Outset Island attire, and and a Mr. L getup for Luigi myself.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Guess only time will tell at this point.

We've yet to see what DLC will hold beyond the Fighter's Pass, if anything. Given how huge and successful Ultimate has been though it seems reasonable that Nintendo would continue to support it, offering more new content and updates, not just general online services and tournaments. If we don't get yet more new fighters I don't see why they couldn't at least starting offering some smaller DLC like more alternate costumes or new spirits.

Among others, I'd love to see alts. like K. Rool's past disguises, Toon Link's Outset Island attire, and and a Mr. L getup for Luigi myself.
I feel like a season 2 Fighters Pass is pretty likely. This first one made so much money that I can see them wanting to make even more off of it. My only concern is that Sakurai is against how the Fighters Pass is being handled and is allegedly against DLC in general, but that said, the Fighters Pass happened anyway so I suppose the only thing we can do is sit and speculate.

Unrelated but hey Phantoms, it's been a while buddy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like a season 2 Fighters Pass is pretty likely. This first one made so much money that I can see them wanting to make even more off of it. My only concern is that Sakurai is against how the Fighters Pass is being handled and is allegedly against DLC in general, but that said, the Fighters Pass happened anyway so I suppose the only thing we can do is sit and speculate.

Well, Sakurai ultimately doesn't have too much control over things, like when Brawl was okayed with him at the helm behind his back. He gets to only decide what series gets who or what in Smash.

Also, the WOL datamine showed that the option for it is open, too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

That'd be news to me. Any sources on this? I thought Sakurai was more than all on board with Ultimate's DLC...

And yeah! Heyo! It has been quite some time. How've been, man?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That'd be news to me. Any sources on this? I thought Sakurai was more than all on board with Ultimate's DLC...

And yeah! Heyo! It has been quite some time. How've been, man?
There was an interview awhile ago that mentioned Sakurai not liking how the Fighter's Pass was handled. I'm not sure where to find it tho. If anyone could find it that would be great.

I've been doing good. Took a break off of the boards for awhile to focus on life, but ended up coming back when Banjo & Kazooie were announced :bobomb:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hey Kutthroats! It's my five year anniversary on this site, and I feel it's only proper for me to stop by here again to acknowledge where it all began for me here, given K. Rool was the very first character I ever supported on this site and is basically why I came here in the first place. I will always cherish the memories spent supporting and discussing him here with you guys. Cheers! :grin:

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey Kutthroats! It's my five year anniversary on this site, and I feel it's only proper for me to stop by here again to acknowledge where it all began for me here, given K. Rool was the very first character I ever supported on this site and is basically why I came here in the first place. I will always cherish the memories spent supporting and discussing him here with you guys. Cheers! :grin:
Crazy to think we're coming up on a year since 8/8. Smash speculation just isn't the same without a white whale to chase. Obviously I'd rather K. Rool be in than not, but part of me misses the mystery, the wondering and theorizing. (Also, I feel your pain in your signature of only getting 2 of those 5, lol.)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Crazy to think we're coming up on a year since 8/8. Smash speculation just isn't the same without a white whale to chase. Obviously I'd rather K. Rool be in than not, but part of me misses the mystery, the wondering and theorizing.
I feel you, all the speculation around possible movesets for the king, what design they would use, what voice, etc was very fun. I miss it a little, but as you said, it's better to have the King than not.
(Also, I feel your pain in your signature of only getting 2 of those 5, lol.)
Yeah. On the bright side, when creating the sig I was ironically more confident in the other three getting in, but the two I did get were my top most wanted. I still hope I can edit the sig one last time though, I still have the file with the layers that I can edit to remove the black and white over any character.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Guys, thoughts on Marsens' Domain video about:ultkrool:? Pretty much agree with his and it's pretty sad to say how hype he was at launch and then he turns out to be terrible. K Rool needs buffs more than any other character in my eyes (even more than :ultpiranha:). Feels bad man. :(

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Guys, thoughts on Marsens' Domain video about:ultkrool:? Pretty much agree with his and it's pretty sad to say how hype he was at launch and then he turns out to be terrible. K Rool needs buffs more than any other character in my eyes (even more than :ultpiranha:). Feels bad man. :(

Meh, clumsy bumbling in general is big part of classic DKC and Rare games. To me it kind of adds to his charm.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
It's so frustrating playing as KKR sometimes. Then considering how long I've been rooting for him to just be let down hurts a little too. I understand I should 'git gud' but it's really discouraging playing a character that has such glaring flaws and is always bottom of the tier list. I'm gunna stick with him, but it's not always fun.

I don't want to discredit our boy, or discourage new players trying to pick him up, but it's definitely rough.

/rant. Let's keep pushing this character to the limit.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
All right. I got 17th out of 99 entrants. Here`s the bracket and results for each set I played (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/smash-the-lan-ultimate/events/ultimate-singles/brackets) :
Winners Round 2 (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 1:ultwiifittrainerm:(WarMachine)
Winners Quarters (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 0 - 2 :ultganondorf:(Smokk)
Losers Round 3 (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 0 :ultbayonetta:/:ultness: (Roony), got out of pools at top 32
Losers Round 1 (top 32): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 0 :ultjoker:(Gizeh)
Losers Round 2 (top 32): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 0 - 2 :ultdarksamus:(Justin), UGH HATE THAT MU, but got eliminated.

I feel I can truly push solo K Rool at this point if I can work on those annoying MUs.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
All right. I got 17th out of 99 entrants. Here`s the bracket and results for each set I played (bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/smash-the-lan-ultimate/events/ultimate-singles/brackets) :
Winners Round 2 (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 1:ultwiifittrainerm:(WarMachine)
Winners Quarters (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 0 - 2 :ultganondorf:(Smokk)
Losers Round 3 (pools): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 0 :ultbayonetta:/:ultness: (Roony), got out of pools at top 32
Losers Round 1 (top 32): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 2 - 0 :ultjoker:(Gizeh)
Losers Round 2 (top 32): :ultkrool:(LS4ME) 0 - 2:ultdarksamus:(Justin), UGH HATE THAT MU, but got eliminated.

I feel I can truly push solo K Rool at this point if I can work on those annoying MUs.
What things gave you the most difficulty as K Rool at a tourney? I have played almost exclusively online since release so haven't had the chance to really feel what it's like to play against good players w/o internet latency

Top Bottom