• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Anyone know any safe-on-shield options for K. Rool? I find myself approaching from the air, but my opponent is shielding so I don't know what to do.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
should i have a counter character in my pocket to offset K.Rool's weaknesses? i don't really have one right now and typically just mostly play K.Rool but i had to ask

if i did have a counter character It probably would need to be a quick rushdown character right?

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
Anyone know any safe-on-shield options for K. Rool? I find myself approaching from the air, but my opponent is shielding so I don't know what to do.
This is a very good question and I do not have an answer. The risk of getting caught in a grab are high, especially if it is timed perfectly. As far as I know there is no safe option on shield when coming from the air (I like nair approaches too...) so what you should do would either be:

- overshoot: go behind your opponent so that he cannot grab you, but you will probably get hit by some OoS option and/or some short ranged attacks.
- spacing: pressuring the opponent on shield while keeping a safe distance. Attack cancel can be useful to pressure with nair, fair can be a good tool that has good range and can be spaced - I am assuming since as far as I remember I never used it.
- fast fall to jab: jab is a pretty quick move, if you manage to fast fall and buffer a jab you *may* be safe if the opponent messes up the grab timing but that is rarely the case. Krool has very long landing animations so even if you buffer the jab faster opponents can react to that.

I am open to hear more because I don't know how to deal with that too.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Fighting a :ultdarkpit::ultchrom: that are good is by far the hardest thing I have had to do thus far. Lost every time

:ultpalutena: Annoying but not impossible

:ultpichu: They get overconfident are light.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
King K. Rool has a great projectile game with his crown and canonballs, so he has little reason to hit someone in shield. If you are in the lead, run back and bait the opponent into coming towards you instead of going towards them. This will force them to stop shielding. If King K. Rool has to challenge someone in shield, he can go for an empty hop and grab upon landing.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i feel like some people now are starting to think K.Rool's the low tier garbage now that Ridley's performing beyond people's expectations in tournaments while K.Rool has not had much of a positive showing in the competitive scene

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
i feel like some people now are starting to think K.Rool's the low tier garbage now that Ridley's performing beyond people's expectations in tournaments while K.Rool has not had much of a positive showing in the competitive scene
He definitely is low-tier garbage unfortunately, at least for now while his meta is developing

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
KRool faces the typical challenge most heavies face: small, quick characters are the bane of his existence.

All of the players using him as a FOTM character have moved on and only the people who truly planned to main him remain. It's up to them to pick up the character and make some headway of their own.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh, I am good with K. Rool on 4 player free-for-alls. In fact, if that weren't enough, I beat a Young Link as K. Rool once on a 1-1 match.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
He definitely is low-tier garbage unfortunately, at least for now while his meta is developing
I don't think King K. Rool is low tier garbage by any means. For all his strengths and weaknesses, I think his positives outweigh his negatives at least.

I think what's happening more is that most people who play King K. Rool end up playing him for similar reasons why some players end up gravitating towards other superheavies like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Donkey Kong: he's a big, strong character who can secure kills with raw power. As a result, more people who play with King K. Rool end up relying more on the character himself than they do their own skill at the game. In a way in reminds me more of Heavy from TF2. In casual play he gets used as a class decently enough because he's easy to use and can gain results, although he is hard to master. But competitive TF2 players that do main Heavy tend to be scary good with him because they've learned all of his pros and cons, and how to make the most out of him. Again, the meta is still young, and until we see more research conducted by the pro players and the backroom, who knows what to assume. King K. Rool definitely is far from the worst character in the game, that still goes to Bowser Jr. without question. Yeah lightweights with their high speed and fast attacks do well on a platform fighter like Smash Bros, which is something I'd like to see remedied one day, and while Pikachu is definitely S rank in the metagame, true skill can lead to players outperforming these characters with enough practice.

Worst case scenerio I see King K. Rool ending up as a mid tier character, akain to Melee Ganondorf acting as a gatekeeper character for the lower tiers.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I don't think King K. Rool is low tier garbage by any means. For all his strengths and weaknesses, I think his positives outweigh his negatives at least.

I think what's happening more is that most people who play King K. Rool end up playing him for similar reasons why some players end up gravitating towards other superheavies like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Donkey Kong: he's a big, strong character who can secure kills with raw power. As a result, more people who play with King K. Rool end up relying more on the character himself than they do their own skill at the game. In a way in reminds me more of Heavy from TF2. In casual play he gets used as a class decently enough because he's easy to use and can gain results, although he is hard to master. But competitive TF2 players that do main Heavy tend to be scary good with him because they've learned all of his pros and cons, and how to make the most out of him. Again, the meta is still young, and until we see more research conducted by the pro players and the backroom, who knows what to assume. King K. Rool definitely is far from the worst character in the game, that still goes to Bowser Jr. without question. Yeah lightweights with their high speed and fast attacks do well on a platform fighter like Smash Bros, which is something I'd like to see remedied one day, and while Pikachu is definitely S rank in the metagame, true skill can lead to players outperforming these characters with enough practice.

Worst case scenerio I see King K. Rool ending up as a mid tier character, akain to Melee Ganondorf acting as a gatekeeper character for the lower tiers.
I'll still main him either way /shrugemoji

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think an underrated balancing factor for K. Rool is that his belly armor activates during moves that have nothing to do with his stomach as a hitbox, like UAir or DAir. That runs up the risk of an opponent shattering your armor when you're using those moves, even if you're careful not to spam belly moves like NAir and dash attack...as I learned to my detriment last night, when a Ridley broke my armor while I was sparring with him off stage, sending me spiraling to my doom.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I think an underrated balancing factor for K. Rool is that his belly armor activates during moves that have nothing to do with his stomach as a hitbox, like UAir or DAir. That runs up the risk of an opponent shattering your armor when you're using those moves, even if you're careful not to spam belly moves like NAir and dash attack...as I learned to my detriment last night, when a Ridley broke my armor while I was sparring with him off stage, sending me spiraling to my doom.
Something similar happened to me, where Isabelle is descending upon me offstage with a dair, and I respond with a uair, only for her turnip hitbox to hit my superarmor hitbox and break the armor, causing me a slow and painful descent.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
yeah, i had that happen the other night due to captain falcon blasting through my armor....it sucks but i rather have armor that can shatter instead of not having any at all

i rather have tools like crown toss and blunderbus than nothing at all

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Some text. Written by Polygon.
Good article, though I'm slightly bothered by them listing DK64 as K. Rool's last appearance when that's factually wrong. It doesn't matter now that he's returned, but the misinformation that DK64 was K. Rool's last appearance prior to Ultimate always bothered me with how widespread it was. I get that the DK franchise fell into a decline for like a decade before DKCR came with no Kremlings to be seen, but this info is available with a few minutes of Google.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
like i don't get how K.Rool is suddenly being labeled the worst heavy(or tied for it with King Triple D)and far worse than Ganon

what bizarro world do we live in where a terribly slow Ganon with No tools to make up for his slow ness(just be patient and hope they screw up a lot)is better than K.Rool who has tools and a decent recovery

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
like i don't get how K.Rool is suddenly being labeled the worst heavy(or tied for it with King Triple D)and far worse than Ganon

what bizarro world do we live in where a terribly slow Ganon with No tools to make up for his slow ness(just be patient and hope they screw up a lot)is better than K.Rool who has tools and a decent recovery
I definitely think people, myself included, overrated the hell out of him when it came to tiers, but K. Rool is still a solid mid to high tier. I'm admittedly not sure what makes people say other heavies are better than him, so I can't form an argument there, but I agree that while Ganondorf is pretty good as well, K. Rool overall has better options, even if a shield is the bane of his existence.

On an unrelated note, people being more open to Ridley now makes me happy, I hated how quick they were to dismiss him initially, since I main him myself and know he's got potential.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it's just weird since i see K.Rool as this heavy that just has what other heavies wish they had and yet he's the one being crapped on now

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
it's just weird since i see K.Rool as this heavy that just has what other heavies wish they had and yet he's the one being crapped on now
It's going from people overrating him far too much to realizing that he's balanced after all.

Just need to wait for people to approach him with the idea that he's balanced and won't give them an immediate edge by playing an overpowered character.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
im not seeing a lot of tourney players doing the suck n' cuck and that makes me mad. the blunderbuss is great

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Might Start Using Inkling More....i was gonna main inkling originally but fell into being A K.Rool Main which i didn't plan on

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i read the K.Rool Guide on here and given my options I'm gonna use Cloud Mario or Chrom as My Pocket Character to deal with K.Rool's Weaknesses

I've already been using K.Rool a lot but haven't really honed in on a character that i can use when he just fails hardcore

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My main is Ness, but K. Rool is my second most-frequently used character.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
i read the K.Rool Guide on here and given my options I'm gonna use Cloud Mario or Chrom as My Pocket Character to deal with K.Rool's Weaknesses

I've already been using K.Rool a lot but haven't really honed in on a character that i can use when he just fails hardcore
Never the character, always the player.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its been over a month since the games release and can I just say how lucky we were that we even got our boi in the first place?

Because had it not been for his heavy demand he likely never would had seen the light of day ever again sinking into obscurity considering his decade long absence.

His return in Ultimate has no doubt revived his comeback and I expect we'll be seeing him in future Donkey Kong games and maybe even Mario sports spin-offs. Its great to know our fan demand was strong enough to bring a character back from obscurity.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Its been over a month since the games release and can I just say how lucky we were that we even got our boi in the first place?

Because had it not been for his heavy demand he likely never would had seen the light of day ever again sinking into obscurity considering his decade long absence.

His return in Ultimate has no doubt revived his comeback and I expect we'll be seeing him in future Donkey Kong games and maybe even Mario sports spin-offs. Its great to know our fan demand was strong enough to bring a character back from obscurity.
I agree 100%. I still feel like it's surreal that he made it into Ultimate, we truly did get lucky considering what happened to other popular choices, like Isaac and Geno. I feel like I should have gotten over him being included by now, but just the fact that the newcomers were so scarce this time around, plus the fact that Sakurai stated King K. Rool "recieved a ton of votes" on the ballot despite many others also scoring highly, shows that we were carefully selected out of the top fan favorites. With people who never cared for him, let alone know who he is, suddenly starting to use him all over the world, we can comfortably know in the back of our minds that we all knew for years that he would be a great candidate for Smash. I am eternally grateful to Sakurai and all of us for making our voices clear. King K. Rool used to be known as one of the most requested characters for years, but now, he's grouped with many other characters that we've known as being a part of the Smash roster for over a decade. In other words, he's transcended from being a wishlist choice to cementing himself as a Smash Bros. mainstay. Truly beautiful stuff.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I agree 100%. I still feel like it's surreal that he made it into Ultimate, we truly did get lucky considering what happened to other popular choices, like Isaac and Geno. I feel like I should have gotten over him being included by now, but just the fact that the newcomers were so scarce this time around, plus the fact that Sakurai stated King K. Rool "recieved a ton of votes" on the ballot despite many others also scoring highly, shows that we were carefully selected out of the top fan favorites. With people who never cared for him, let alone know who he is, suddenly starting to use him all over the world, we can comfortably know in the back of our minds that we all knew for years that he would be a great candidate for Smash. I am eternally grateful to Sakurai and all of us for making our voices clear. King K. Rool used to be known as one of the most requested characters for years, but now, he's grouped with many other characters that we've known as being a part of the Smash roster for over a decade. In other words, he's transcended from being a wishlist choice to cementing himself as a Smash Bros. mainstay. Truly beautiful stuff.
I recall too Sakurai was rather surprised at the amount of votes he got. I think this truly shows he was the ballot winner especially considering all the music he was given in Ultimate.

No wonder he finally got in which is great for all of us. :grin:

Top Bottom