• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Lucky...best I got was Mario self destructing once. I feel like thats the only way to beat it since DK is huge and faster than normal and Peach just runs around avoiding you. Either that or I just have to get a lucky bAir spike with K rool or something to take her out while she's running.
I heard that coming in with a Staff helps a lot.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
I was having trouble with the Pauline Spirit battle (like everyone) and I was about to just drop it and come back with K. Rool...

...until she SD'd.
Haha, that's funny - the exact same thing just happened to me earlier today. She just floated on her parasol down the middle of the stage and SD'd. It was giving me so much trouble too, haha

StormC

Smash Hero
Lucky...best I got was Mario self destructing once. I feel like thats the only way to beat it since DK is huge and faster than normal and Peach just runs around avoiding you. Either that or I just have to get a lucky bAir spike with K rool or something to take her out while she's running.
My attempted method of beating her was getting her damage up high, then securing the KO with Giga Bowser (easily the most useful Final Smash for ending Spirit battles - I did the same thing for Jeff because the Inklings all moved to the left corner of the stage and I could punch them off). I nearly came close the try before the last one by getting her to around 70%, but died before I could go Giga. I was just about to give up, and then...

Haha, that's funny - the exact same thing just happened to me earlier today. She just floated on her parasol down the middle of the stage and SD'd. It was giving me so much trouble too, haha
Same thing happened to me. When I realized what was happening, I held onto the stage for dear life so she would die. The annoying thing is the stock icons at the bottom of the screen obscure the bottom platforms of the stage so you have a hard time knowing a safe place to land.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
People are obsessed with K. Rool, huh.

I realize where I'm posting this but it's quite something.
I think "protective" would be the better word. After a decade of absence, I think a lot of us just really want to do as much as possible to keep K. Rool in the spotlight so he doesn't disappear again.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh I didn't mean us.

I mean the wider Smash community.
K. Rool seems like the talk of the town. It's K. Rool this, K. Rool that. K. Rool is a big attention magnet.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just got to that section of World Of Light... wow. Sakurai definitely listened to complaints regarding treatment of the DK franchise. Well done.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Speaking of World of Light, would anybody mind telling me how to beeline to K. Rool? But maybe put it in a spoiler for those who'd rather discover it themselves?
Don't click World of Light spoiler warning to answer his question.
Keep playing world of light till you get to the 2nd map. then go north and focus on that route. He's near the end. If you can't find him make sure you complete every quiz in that section.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
This might need additional testing, but I was screwing around against some CPUs, and as K. Rool I was twice able to grab Simon's holy water as an item by running into it from dash attack, thus letting me use the water against him. And it confirmed became my holy water to trap Simon in.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So, did anyone see this yet? It's not a remix, but I always loved this theme!
Also, likely old news, but I like how Klap Traps actually say "ow!" when they are hit. There is just so much detail in everything that I'm certain we'll still be finding it years from now.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I heard that the update dropped. Would a lovely kutthroat be willing to update us on any changes to K. Rool, if there are any?

EDIT: Just checked myself. The King remains untouched! We're not getting hit with the Mac treatment this time!

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Yeah, the smash Community seems to be extra sensitive and quick on the draw when it comes to crying for nerfs.
I feel that Even while his kit makes him different and versatile, the typical weaknesses of a Heavy still shine through.
if this was overwatch K.Rool would have already been nerfed like five times

i swear all it takes is a handful of angry casuals and some of their precious esports players to scream that a character is too good and they start beating the crap out of it with a hammer

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I found something pretty silly but potentially useful during K. Rool dittos. I tested this in training mode, K. Rool reflecting a diagonal upwards moving cannonball with his counter confirmed fires it back at the opposing K. Rool at a downwards diagonal angle flying back from the direction it was fired. It's situational, and we'd need to do more testing to see if the enemy K. Rool can vacuum in time, but the cannonball does come at them faster than when they refired it out. Dodging or shielding/parrying the countered cannonball seems likely, but also needs testing.

*EDIT* Cannonball is intercepted by platforms, but this maneuver can be performed pretty close to the edge of a stage. SOmeone with a wuick reaction time could reflect the cannonball, and if the opposing K. Rool vacuums, you have a quick moment to jump out of the counters end lag and reflect the cannonball at a much closer distance, possibly eliminating any chance of the opponent reaction to the counterplay.

*EDIT NUMERO DOS* Oddly, the reflected cannoball at a downwards angle seems to ignore the opposing K. Rool's vacuum, instead hitting them anyway. If an enemy K .Rool can't react out of neutral special's end lag in time, this could be a viable albeit still situational counterplay, and a hype maneuver to see in a competitive setting.

Last edited:

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just got to that section of World Of Light... wow. Sakurai definitely listened to complaints regarding treatment of the DK franchise. Well done.
Best part of the World of Light for me for sure! <3

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is easily the most evil thing I've seen K. Rool do in this game, holy ****.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Before the game came out I was expecting the Belmonts to be my favorite newcomer playstyle-wise, but honestly after a week of playing its K. Rool. The moveset is just so satisfying. The crown and cannon, plus his aerials, make him one of my favorite characters to play. He was always one of my most wanted, but I wasn't 100% sure if he had a moveset tthatfeels fun until I got my hands on it. It was definitely worth the wait!

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
K. Rool's side tilt is honestly one of the best moves on any character in the entire series. It's armored, it's a kill move, it's a "get off me" move, it has decent reach, and really its only issue is the endlag. I have not clapped so many cheeks with a single move since the early 3DS era.

Steelia

Smash Champion
K. Rool's side tilt is honestly one of the best moves on any character in the entire series. It's armored, it's a kill move, it's a "get off me" move, it has decent reach, and really its only issue is the endlag. I have not clapped so many cheeks with a single move since the early 3DS era.
This and his dash attack for me. Just let the belly do the talking while powering through whatever's being thrown.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
one thing that starts bugging me a little bit is the stigmatism of "maining a brain dead character"...

stuff really hurts, considering K Rool actually requires quick thinking and strategizing. He cannot just rush in, he has to force approaches or create favorable conditions in order to get in...

kinda like in his games, huh...

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Well, a minor thing considering everything we have going on for us right now, but Team Villain won the Splatfest that Splatoon 2 was having as promotion for Smash Brothers Ultimate. King K. Rool was among the roster used to represent Team Villain, so, we pretty much have another victory under our belts, Kutthroats.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been watching ZeRo and Vex's stream, and Vex uses D-Air as an approach and as a reverse-shark when he's stuck on a platform (uses it to harass people below him). I was wondering if D-air is a viable move. It has super armor that would protect during an approach, it reaches below platforms, it hits grounded opponents, and it sets up for up tilt/smash/air. Is this the new meta?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Doesn't K. Rool's belly super armor halve the damage he takes (as opposed to regular super armor, which doesn't affect damage at all)?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Doesn't K. Rool's belly super armor halve the damage he takes (as opposed to regular super armor, which doesn't affect damage at all)?
Yes, although one thing I'm not sure of when it comes to his super armor, is if that damage reduction is also applied to his armor itself. Since the armor plate has 28 HP, does it break when an attack would deal 14% to K. Rool, or does it break when an attack would deal 28% to him?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's really weird that K. Rool got a Twitter moment over the boxing name thing. I don't agree with changing Commander to Kommander. I think given the way it is written, it would absolutely be interpreted as KKK. Especially in these times, the consecutive Ks are a bad idea.

And I don't think anybody wants to hurt people by referencing accidentally the name of that terrorist group and we don't want K. Rool in any way associated with that after everything we've been through to claw him back to the modern day.

I wish the "make the DK rap" longer campaign would have blown up instead. Lol.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
That's really weird that K. Rool got a Twitter moment over the boxing name thing. I don't agree with changing Commander to Kommander. I think given the way it is written, it would absolutely be interpreted as KKK. Especially in these times, the consecutive Ks are a bad idea.

And I don't think anybody wants to hurt people by referencing accidentally the name of that terrorist group and we don't want K. Rool in any way associated with that after everything we've been through to claw him back to the modern day.

But there would only be 2 or 4 Ks, not 3
Kremling Kommander- 2 Ks
King K. Rool- 2 Ks
King K. Rool the Kremling Kommander- 4 Ks

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
But there would only be 2 or 4 Ks, not 3
Kremling Kommander- 2 Ks
King K. Rool- 2 Ks
King K. Rool the Kremling Kommander- 4 Ks
I think that the Ks are right after another matters.
And 4 Ks I think is basically equivalent to 3Ks in that 4Ks necessarily includes 3Ks.
I think this is why in fact they chose Kremling Commander in the first place.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Getting on her occasionally and seeing you all enjoying K Rool is making me happy

I put this up to help me study
20181217_085815.jpg

The pic is sideways for some reason but you get the idea

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328

DK Country 1 Fake Credits must be respected. If you're offended because of that you really are a party pooper (and I'm trying to not being offensive here) but that would be just as stupid as the censor on Mr. Game & Watch.

StormC

Smash Hero
DK Country 1 Fake Credits must be respected. If you're offended because of that you really are a party pooper (and I'm trying to not being offensive here) but that would be just as stupid as the censor on Mr. Game & Watch.
I don't think the change to Mr. Game And Watch was stupid. But I also think Kremling Kommander would fly under the KKK radar, so to speak.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think sensitivity about this issue and avoiding unintentional association with this terrorist group > "respecting DKC1 Fake credits". And that doesn't even make sense, anyway. In the DKC series, the Kremlings also used the letter C, too. I mean, their island was called Crocodile Isle and not Krocodile Isle.

And in this case, where writing Kommander links up with Kremling and King, right after the other, it doesn't seem like a good idea to do that and that's why I don't think they did it in the first place.

Taking away the racial stereotype from Mr Game and Watch was also a great thing, btw.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Twitter really has to look for things to be offended by, huh? Must be a form of entertainment or something...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Kremling Kommander would only be two Ks though...

This sort of reminds me of Archer; In the show the main character was part of an organization called ISIS, which made things awkward when a terrorist cell called Isis also popped up. The creators of the show handwaved the whole thing away by saying that Archer and the people at ISIS weren't supposed to be likable.

I'm digressing, but the point is unlike Game & Watch, K. Rool is evil, so we aren't supposed to like him. Even if a tenuous connection could be made to "prove" K. Rool is racist, it's only another atrocity under his name, not a corruption of an innocent icon like Game & Watch was.

Also there's probably something to be read into about how a foreign seafaring invader discovers a new land and exploits, enslaves, and ultimately tries to commit genocide on the natives through superior technology and numbers

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's silly. King K. Rool is a cartoon Nintendo villain. Should we also be OK with K. Rool for some reason being associated with child abuse? You know, since he's a villain and all? That's silly. He's a cartoon Nintendo character and K. Rool's villainy is cartoonish. Being associated in any way with KKK terrorist group would be weird and bad for him and for fans who like the character.

Donkey Kong is a family video game.

Anyway, this is easily avoidable and they already in fact avoided it by not having three Ks back to back.

Twitter really has to look for things to be offended by, huh? Must be a form of entertainment or something...

In this case, they have a point I think. And anyway, this is all hypothetical since Nintendo already decided NOT to use Kommander. Using Commander was the best decision if the names were going to be displayed in the way the Boxing Ring displays them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom