• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool's Klassic Klear screen has popped up. Spoiler tagged in case people don't want to see it:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit nervous about the game's release.
Although this game does have K.Rool, my most wanted since pre-Brawl, I might not buy the game if online is crap.
I do not have friends to play in local anymore, and online is my only concern, I don't care about solo content in a multiplayer game.
Nintendo seems to have a very bad record for that matter with the franchise: Brawl online was an unplayable mess, it migth as well not have been added in the game, and never played Smash4, but I heard online wasn't great either (still better than Brawl, but that does not mean it was good since Brawl's was a disaster).

Online in fighting game, is probably the hardest one to make, especially with 4 players at the same time.
And a slight delay with shutters won't make it for me.
So if Nintendo is really not willing to improve it by a lot marging, it's not going to be good :(
And I'm not even talking about the lack of ethernet port on the console, most people will go for wifi instead of buying the Ethernet adaptator only to make things worse...
And people will be paying for that.
Hope I'm wrong.

No online, no K.Rool for me :(

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm a bit nervous about the game's release.
Although this game does have K.Rool, my most wanted since pre-Brawl, I might not buy the game if online is crap.
Sadly, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They more or less admitted online wouldn't be perfect by straight-up advising people to get LAN adapters during the Direct. That message can be taken as one may will I suppose, but I think that's writing on the wall to suggest that the online will be far from perfect, lol.

To be fair though, Smash 4's online was a lot better than Brawl's, but as you said, that doesn't say much. We'll just have to pray that the proximity prioritisation system they've added makes things a bit better. The issue with this is that it does not solve issues if you have friends from other continents, but it could be a start I guess.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Wifi has never been good for any online game, even with good netcode and great connections.
This is not stable enough, and I wish people would stop defending their crap wifi to death.
The switch should have had an ethernet port.
So many people are not even aware LAN ethernet adaptators exist.
At least the paid online will filter a bit people with bad connections and/or who do not care improving it.
If only paid online would improve Nintendo's efforts over the online...but I doubt it, they'll just take the money and do nothing for us with it.

Playing with oversea friends has never been quite reliable, so no I would not be that demanding, as long as I can properly play with people near me.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Since we got more clear K. Rool footage I updated my scale chart.
unit.png

What an absolute unit.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Now, that my homework is at a manageable magnitude, it's time to start marathoning the first three DKC games before Friday!

...and Jungle Climber, because I liked that game and it was K. Rool's last mainline appearance.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
From the man himself:

"King Kuru."

How far we've come.
Glorious. It's great to see Sakurai acknowledge K. Rool himself. Every time I see more HD footage, I get more and more excited. Each second, minute, and hour that passes by is one step closer to finally getting to play as my favorite krocodile. I can't believe it's almost here!!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It really goes to show how much Nintendo underestimated his popularity. No doubt we'll probably be seeing him in future Donkey Kong games due to his return.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
It honestly blows my mind still that we have K. Rool in this game, packed to the brim with references. They literally could've just made him a clone of Bowser or something and call it a day, but instead they put so much effort and thought into his moveset. His armor gimmick, all of his projectiles, his goofy animations, all the incredible remixes (I never thought I'd see the day of a Crocodile Cacophony remix in Smash), everything just shows that they cared.

I really really hope this means that K. Rool will be in more games sooner rather than later. Since Pauline was just announced for Mario Tennis Aces, I'm hoping maybe K. Rool could possibly take a spot (or Super Mario Party DLC, I think he'd fit in perfectly there too). The sky's honestly the limit now, and it's nice to see that the Smash team and Nintendo saw what we saw in the character for years.

StormC

Smash Hero
Question for the room with about 30 hours to go...

When did you start supporting K. Rool? When did you first tell yourself "I want K. Rool in Smash Bros. as a playable fighter?"

In the Ridley thread, I was discussing how during Brawl I actually wasn't really focused on K. Rool. While I wouldn't have said no to his inclusion, I was just happy to have Diddy and wanted other franchises to get the focus. K. Rool potentially getting in did interest me when Dedede was in, but overall, I wanted other characters more at the time, namely Mega Man, Ridley, and an F-Zero newcomer (RIP). Although I had been an avid fan of the DKC series since childhood, I was at the time definitely more passionate about Diddy as a character, despite still liking K. Rool.

So what changed? Well, Brawl came out, and sure enough, it was fantastic with a superb roster, but I started to brainstorm almost instantly after release what the next Smash roster would look like. Having been on DKVine during Brawl speculation, the obvious choice at the time for the next DK newcomer was K. Rool. DK Jungle Climber was still fresh in my mind, and Dixie hasn't been seen in a major role since Donkey Kong Land III (unless you count DKRDS). K. Rool had the moveset potential and uniqueness factor at the time to stand out above any potential Kong candidates. I wouldn't say I was as lavishly passionate about K. Rool then as I am now, but he definitely seemed like he would be a fun addition to the game, and he became more or less shoulder to shoulder with Mega Man as my most wanted newcomer for the next game, with Ridley after the two of them.

With the announcement of DKCR, the threat of K. Rool being forgotten forever loomed, and I found myself in a position where this fun bad guy I took for granted had to be saved. I didn't know what his prospects for the next Smash looked like, but I hoped he could still make it in - after all, Diddy got into Brawl despite being intentionally left out of Jungle Beat.

Cue the double announcement of Tropical Freeze and Smash 4 with Mega Man getting in - it was at that moment that getting K. Rool into Smash became a necessity to keep the character in the public consciousness, so my desire for him rocketed up. I imagine if it was reversed, if K. Rool was announced at E3 and Mega Man was still waiting to be in, my desire for Mega Man would surpass that of K. Rool. But the combination of having this character that represented so much about what I love in the DKC world as a playable Smash fighter, as well as saving him from erasure, made him my most wanted ever.

I was fairly pessimistic about K. Rool's chances for a good chunk of Smash 4 speculation due to the focus on new titles, until the April 2014 Direct with Kritters in Smash Run. That was the first time K. Rool being in Smash actually felt in reach. Of course, it turned out to be a whole lot of nothing, but the fire inside me was lit. I joined SmashBoards to talk about him as a potential DLC character. Sure enough, the Smash Ballot rolled out, and the rest is history.

I never once thought before the last few years that K. Rool fandom would become such a pivotal part of my life. I always liked K. Rool, but it wasn't until the increasingly potent threat of him being abandoned forever that I truly loved him. You truly don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I'm so glad the villain of one of my favorite video game series is back, and now everyone knows how great he is, and it's all because of us, the fat-crocodile loving weirdos.

We did it, Kutthroats. Next stop for K. Rool: the Donkey Kong series proper.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't remember, but I'd say that around Smash 4, I was thinking about wanting to see more DK characters in Smash (K. Rool, Dixie, Stanley, etc). I distinctly remember thinking how stuff from the games would work nicely for the King's moveset, it practically wrote itself (crown toss, blunderbuss, helipack, ground pound, cannonballs raining down as the FS), but little did I know that I'd get something even better than that.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Ever since I played DK64 back in 2001. It came out in 1999 but I always had both the previous generation of Nintendo consoles alongside the modern one (at the time) due to my big brother passing down consoles to me. So I played a myriad of both N64 and GCN games at the same time. I was young so I had no idea K.Rool wasn't in Melee until I played it in like 2003. I always wanted/assumed he would be in Melee as a kid. I was disappointed he wasn't in it as a kid but got over it quickly once I realized how fun the game was. Been rooting for him and campaigning for him online since the Brawl dojo days.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace

When did you start supporting K. Rool? When did you first tell yourself "I want K. Rool in Smash Bros. as a playable fighter?"
I wanted him since Brawl, which is basically when SmashBoards began those X character for Smash signature pictures. I love basically all of, if not most of, the villains in video games. Some, especially most of Nintendo's villains, are likeable, funny, and more so anti-heroes in a way, thought some, like Ridley, are obviously more sinister. That being said, my want lists have basically always been bad guy from X or Y franchise please.

Even now, I would love if we got Captain Syrup, Dr. Eggman, Dr. Wily, etc. I'm also adamantly in favor of Poochy (I love that dog), but we'll see.

Also, I've always loved playing the big/grappler type characters in fighting games. Not only are they fun to play, they are usually fun to fight because of how easy they are to abuse.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

In the Ridley thread, I was discussing how during Brawl I actually wasn't really focused on K. Rool. While I wouldn't have said no to his inclusion, I was just happy to have Diddy and wanted other franchises to get the focus. K. Rool potentially getting in did interest me when Dedede was in, but overall, I wanted other characters more at the time, namely Mega Man, Ridley, and an F-Zero newcomer (RIP). Although I had been an avid fan of the DKC series since childhood, I was at the time definitely more passionate about Diddy as a character, despite still liking K. Rool.

So what changed? Well, Brawl came out, and sure enough, it was fantastic with a superb roster, but I started to brainstorm almost instantly after release what the next Smash roster would look like. Having been on DKVine during Brawl speculation, the obvious choice at the time for the next DK newcomer was K. Rool. DK Jungle Climber was still fresh in my mind, and Dixie hasn't been seen in a major role since Donkey Kong Land III (unless you count DKRDS). K. Rool had the moveset potential and uniqueness factor at the time to stand out above any potential Kong candidates. I wouldn't say I was as lavishly passionate about K. Rool then as I am now, but he definitely seemed like he would be a fun addition to the game, and he became more or less shoulder to shoulder with Mega Man as my most wanted newcomer for the next game, with Ridley after the two of them.

With the announcement of DKCR, the threat of K. Rool being forgotten forever loomed, and I found myself in a position where this fun bad guy I took for granted had to be saved. I didn't know what his prospects for the next Smash looked like, but I hoped he could still make it in - after all, Diddy got into Brawl despite being intentionally left out of Jungle Beat.

Cue the double announcement of Tropical Freeze and Smash 4 with Mega Man getting in - it was at that moment that getting K. Rool into Smash became a necessity to keep the character in the public consciousness, so my desire for him rocketed up. I imagine if it was reversed, if K. Rool was announced at E3 and Mega Man was still waiting to be in, my desire for Mega Man would surpass that of K. Rool. But the combination of having this character that represented so much about what I love in the DKC world as a playable Smash fighter, as well as saving him from erasure, made him my most wanted ever.

I was fairly pessimistic about K. Rool's chances for a good chunk of Smash 4 speculation due to the focus on new titles, until the April 2014 Direct with Kritters in Smash Run. That was the first time K. Rool being in Smash actually felt in reach. Of course, it turned out to be a whole lot of nothing, but the fire inside me was lit. I joined SmashBoards to talk about him as a potential DLC character. Sure enough, the Smash Ballot rolled out, and the rest is history.

I never once thought before the last few years that K. Rool fandom would become such a pivotal part of my life. I always liked K. Rool, but it wasn't until the increasingly potent threat of him being abandoned forever that I truly loved him. You truly don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I'm so glad the villain of one of my favorite video game series is back, and now everyone knows how great he is, and it's all because of us, the fat-crocodile loving weirdos.

We did it, Kutthroats. Next stop for K. Rool: the Donkey Kong series proper.

You know, I have to admit, I'm not sure where my love and support for K. Rool began. I remember first seeing him in DKC2. Yeah, I skipped DKC1 at the time. I don't know why. I eventually visited it when I was older and played through it though. But back to K. Rool, while his name hadn't quite stuck with me, his hard as nails boss fight in DKC2 did. DKC3 was easier on me, but he still provided a good challenge. So, while I hadn't quite held on to the name, I remembered him as a character. Later, I played Jungle Climber, where his name was definitely shown around more since it had cutscenes he was prominent in. The name K. Rool was now ingrained in my brain. I would keep learning more about him as I became more exposed to the internet, and my fascination with his history as a character only grew. Brawl was my introduction to Smash Bros. I don't think I could quantify the amount of time I spent on it. It made me instantly fall in love with the Smash series. So finally, years after Brawl, when a new entree in the Smash series was now imaginable, I asked myself, who did I want in Smash? Two answers. Bomberman, and King K. Rool. Bomberman was because I really loved his games and just thought him being in Smash would be great, but K. Rool had a few more layers to him. Not only did I think he would be a great fit for Smash as the nemesis of DK, but I thought that his inclusion would put him in the public eye more since I never saw people talk about him as a character as much as other villains from Nintendo. And if people talked about him more, Nintendo would realize his importance and bring him and the Kremlings back to the DK series, where their presence was sorely missed by me. So, rather late into Smash 4's speculation admittedly, I found Smashboards and made an account.

There was appeal in finding others who shared the same fascination with the character as I did. I have to admit though, at the beginning, I didn't feel like K. Rool's chances were great, I had no idea if Nintendo recognized the demand for him, if even remembering the character at all since they seemed to have outright discarded him. When he wasn't in the base roster, I was heartbroken, but his trophy, while a copy and paste of Brawl's, at least consoled me by asserting his status as DK's nemesis. But, I recognized the opportunity at this point to begin making the demand for him known since I knew DLC was certain, and maybe enough noise would grab Nintendo's attention and convince them to add him then. And so, with Mewtwo eventually announced, DLC speculation began. And you know what? It had its ups and downs.

But mostly ups. You guys validated my opinion on how great of a character K. Rool was, and the sheer content that came of our campaigning kept the character alive for me. I have to say, while K. Rool's inclusion in Smash is an official return for the character, in my mind, he returned in 2015, when he became a known name once more. And not just in the Smash community. Children knew of him. I know this for a fact because in summer of this year, I supervised children at a summer program, and they would occasionally talk about Smash Brothers. And when they did, one of the wanted characters they brought up was the king himself. I never got to know their reactions to him being revealed because the program ended the week before the August 8 direct. But I'm sure they were very happy. And that never would have been the case if you guys hadn't helped this character rise from what was about to be obscurity. Thanks again. I speak about the Kutthroats only with pride. I can't think of a better group of fans.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've waited for both K. Rool and Ridley for 17 years, and it feels so surreal that we are just 2 days away from getting to play as them in Smash after waiting for almost 2 decades.

Just some pirate bros (and their sis) having a few good drinks together.
Where in the world is Ganondorf and Wolf? They should be in that art with their fellow villains. Plus, Ganondorf was kind of a pirate in Wind Waker, so it would make sense to put him in that art.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
ALERT: King K. Rool is a guest of honor in Splatoon. Well done, K. Rool.

Don't forget about us.

What? Why are you rolling up the window, Mr. Rool?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Awesome! Neat concept, but let's be real: Villains side is repping two newcomers. That alone means villains are probably going to win this one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In before people blame Sakurai for having Kirby and Dedede on the middle, even though he has no involvement with Splatfests.

Also, it feels weird and wrong to have Dark Pit in here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom