• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

D

Deleted member

All of them are truly great villains and will always have a huge impact on their respective series. Bowser, Ganondorf, King DeDeDe, Ridley, King K. Rool, are villains done right.

And will always be important in gaming villain history.

Anyway cool too see them lined up together like that.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Man, we went from our villains being :4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4dedede: to:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha:. More than doubled. Not bad for a game with far fewer newcomers. And that isn't even counting debatable villains like :ultmewtwo: and:ultwario:.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Man, we went from our villains being :4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4dedede: to:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha:. More than doubled. Not bad for a game with far fewer newcomers. And that isn't even counting debatable villains like :ultmewtwo: and:ultwario:.
Hell, you could add :ultincineroar: to that list as well, he's officially a heel after all.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That artwork makes me think that K. Rool looks like he could be a one off Zelda Villain, a la Skull Kid, Vaati, Ghirahim, Zant, etc. Maybe in an alternate universe that happened. What would K. Rool be in the Zelda universe, a very rotund King of the Lizalfos? How would he fight Link? I could see him lugging a huge axe or Warhammer, and being slow but powerful. Golden armor would probably be invincible, so you'd have to hit him from behind, or make expose a weak point, or maybe pull a King Hippo and knock the golden chestplate off somehow.

Alternate AU interpretation: K. Rool is a King of the Lizalfos who ushers them into a new age of enlightenment and technology, refining seafaring technology and turning the Lizalfos into pirates who terrorize the sea on his Galleon. His ship definitely having to be a dungeon complete with a fight with Rool at the end.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Hell, you could add :ultincineroar: to that list as well, he's officially a heel after all.
I suppose, but it's hard to classify Pokemon as villains. None of the villains in the games are Pokemon, just humans using them. Mewtwo is the one exception, as he's based off the one from the first film, who was the primary villain of said film.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What would K. Rool be in the Zelda universe, a very rotund King of the Lizalfos? How would he fight Link? I could see him lugging a huge axe or Warhammer, and being slow but powerful. Golden armor would probably be invincible, so you'd have to hit him from behind, or make expose a weak point, or maybe pull a King Hippo and knock the golden chestplate off somehow.
Oh that's too easy...

...man I loved that game. So sad that all the TP costumes are gone...

I'd love to see some K.Rool start showing back up again. The only DK game I've played was DK64 (why no music in Smash? :crying:), so I may have to pick one up once he makes his return.

OMG, can you imagine a game where the Dorf sent out Bowser, K.Rool, and Ridley to do his bidding? Smash is a wonderful thing...

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oh that's too easy...

...man I loved that game. So sad that all the TP costumes are gone...

I'd love to see some K.Rool start showing back up again. The only DK game I've played was DK64 (why no music in Smash? :crying:), so I may have to pick one up once he makes his return.

OMG, can you imagine a game where the Dorf sent out Bowser, K.Rool, and Ridley to do his bidding? Smash is a wonderful thing...
I need to play TPP again. I have no recollection of that fight, nor getting the ball and chain from it.

*EDIT* It's not Nintendo's style, but given how time travel is a thing, A Zelda adventure with alternet dimensions would be pretty awesome. And given the Zelda series colorful characters and constantly shifting mood, I could confidently say all three of those villains would fit right in to Zelda canon. But ah, I'm just musing. I'm a huge sucker for canonically connected and extended universes, especially if it results in someone trying their hand at reimagining a character in a totally new series and style.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That artwork makes me think that K. Rool looks like he could be a one off Zelda Villain, a la Skull Kid, Vaati, Ghirahim, Zant, etc. Maybe in an alternate universe that happened. What would K. Rool be in the Zelda universe, a very rotund King of the Lizalfos? How would he fight Link? I could see him lugging a huge axe or Warhammer, and being slow but powerful. Golden armor would probably be invincible, so you'd have to hit him from behind, or make expose a weak point, or maybe pull a King Hippo and knock the golden chestplate off somehow.

Alternate AU interpretation: K. Rool is a King of the Lizalfos who ushers them into a new age of enlightenment and technology, refining seafaring technology and turning the Lizalfos into pirates who terrorize the sea on his Galleon. His ship definitely having to be a dungeon complete with a fight with Rool at the end.
Vaati isn't a one-off villain. He's been the main villain and final boss twice (Four Swords, Minish Cap) and made a third appearance as Ganon's patsy and the penultimate boss (Four Swords Adventures).
I suppose, but it's hard to classify Pokemon as villains. None of the villains in the games are Pokemon, just humans using them. Mewtwo is the one exception, as he's based off the one from the first film, who was the primary villain of said film.
Oof, you completely forgot about Ultra Necrozma. And Darkrai in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, we are closing in to Ultimate's week of release.

This still feels so surreal to me, especially with gameplay videos (of good quality) flooding Youtube.
I remember how I signed in to Smashboards way back then to discuss my dream of having King K. Rool in Smash Bros For with other likeminded Kutthroats; and that was YEARS ago...and now we are at the dawn of a new game and we finally have the King in it!

After rewatching several reactions to K. Rool's reveal trailer again, today, it finally started to sink in that over a decade of speculation and silent anticipation now finally comes to an end and we can turn that page over, finally starting to write our tale of success! (hopefully)

I am looking forward to many new discussions with you on this site, talking about concrete stats and hard facts about the King.
It'll be a pleasure.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we finally have the Boxing Ring title for K. Rool!

Titles.jpg

Personally I would have gone for King "Krusher K. Rool", but ah well. Maybe it'll be different in the European localisation.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So why is KRool the best heavy?
He does not have the traditional weaknesses of other heavies. He's good vs projectiles, good vs swordies, has solid kill confirms, a great disadvantage state both on stage and off, extremely solid ground control to slow down speedy characters, and still has all the bonuses of heavies like a boatload of armor and killing you at 80%

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
He does not have the traditional weaknesses of other heavies. He's good vs projectiles, good vs swordies, has solid kill confirms, a great disadvantage state both on stage and off, and still has all the bonuses of heavies like a boatload of armor and killing you at 80%
Not to mention an amazing recovery that shoots him up sky-high and has a deceptively good hitbox on top of that, as well as a solid counter/shine hybrid...

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention an amazing recovery that shoots him up sky-high and has a deceptively good hitbox on top of that, as well as a solid counter/shine hybrid...
That falls under ' good disadvantage off stage' and 'good vs projectiles' respectively

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd argue that Bair is more important than you give it credit for. Of all his air moves it is the number 1 most powerful, covers a good angle, and most importantly, his recovery lets him go mad deep with it. It's a cornerstone of his edgeguarding game.

But that does bring up an interesting point: what IS K Rool's worst move? I nominate Dsmash. The shockwave is awful damage, knockback and % wise, and while hitting with K Rool himself is damaging, it's also really situational. Worse still, while it can kill off a bury, so can Fsmash, and that right hook has so much power in it you'd think it was wielded by Muhammed Ali. I just can't seem to find a use for it.
I'm sorry, but Down Smash is a great move:
1) The leaping startup (on frame 5) means you can't grab out of the startup.
2) Belly armour means you can't hit him out of it either.
3) Hitting with K Rool is not really situational. It's a generous hitbox and the fact he has the shockwave as well is just a nice extra.
4) This sends at a much shallower angle than F-Smash, which means it's arguably as good if not better as a bury punish.

I find it difficult to say what move I thought was worst, though I didn't find myself really using his counter much if at all when I played as him.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Vaati isn't a one-off villain. He's been the main villain and final boss twice (Four Swords, Minish Cap) and made a third appearance as Ganon's patsy and the penultimate boss (Four Swords Adventures).
Oops, my bad. I had forgotten about that on account of never actually playing those games yet.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
BKupa666 BKupa666 or whoever runs the Kampaign Account, I noticed just now you posted my artwork! Thank you, I'm honored!

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Imagine time-travelling exactly 4 years behind, going online and telling everyone that in your timeline, there's a Smash game that's releasing in a mere school week where all vets including Snake are coming back, and where Ridley and K. Rool are part of the newcomer roster. That's how insane Ultimate really is.

StormC

Smash Hero
So, what are K. Rool's alts based on?
It's hard to know exactly who or what they're based on because basically every color he has is a Kremling color of some kind, except the white one.

I'm pretty confident the light blue color is a Krusha reference, though. The white one might be a Snowmad reference or a nod to real life albino crocodiles.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to know exactly who or what they're based on because basically every color he has is a Kremling color of some kind, except the white one.

I'm pretty confident the light blue color is a Krusha reference, though. The white one might be a Snowmad reference or a nod to real life albino crocodiles.

Off the top of my head, the yellow alt is Kopter, the brown one is a Klump, and I've heard that the white one was loosely based on Mr. X, who, if I recall correctly, was a scrapped DKC 2 boss.

StormC

Smash Hero
Off the top of my head, the yellow alt is Kopter, the brown one is a Klump, and I've heard that the white one was loosely based on Mr. X, who, if I recall correctly, was a scrapped DKC 2 boss.
Mr. X was the beta design for Kackle, as confirmed by Steve Mayles. Klump and Kopter are probably correct, but the colors are sorta generic as is.

StormC

Smash Hero
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Alternate_costume_(SSBU)#King_K._Rool
Here's a link for anyone wondering about where our Kommander's alts come from.
And apparently, the white alt is the only one that isn't based on anything.
The fact that most of them have multiple listed possible inspirations makes me wonder how much of it was intentional. There's enough Kremling kolors to go around that you could piece together almost any reference. It isn't like Ridley where his colors are all very obvious references.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
If you guys are curious about Mr. X, check my avatar. White with blue cape really doesn't fit there, at all.

The blue cape also ruins any chance of it being based on the Baron (whom I'd given a sick black cape) so yeah...

kind of mysterious, but charming. I like the alt

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
White and blue are basically the national colors of the Snowmads so I like to believe they're what the white costume is based on, even if it's not a reference to any specific member of the group. I guess it could be Bashmaster?
Kackle also wears a blue bandana in official artwork so it could be him too, but that's probably a massive stretch hah

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, it reminds me of the Snowmads, if it's based on anything at all.
I feel that of all the colors, the brown "Klump" color is the one that is most likely actually based on Klump, since the colors match up really well. Even the blue one for Krusha, for example, has the red that doesn't really match Krush at all. But the Klump one looks super close to Klump as he was in DKC1, thankfully with no golden nipples.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom