• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

D

Deleted member

The Rare design will always be my favourite.

But the Smash design yowser it's a second favourite for me they got everything down perfectly. From the color to his crown, cape, and belly. It's perfect.

But that's just me.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone figured out if Usmash/Uair do less damage/knockback without the Krown?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ah, I have Smash Bros. coming next week, and I just got home from being treated to birthday sushi. Life is good. Speaking of, I got to thinking, if K. Rool doesn't like bananas (information that might be nebulous now...), what does he eat? Being a seafaring pirate captain, is his diet a primarily seafood one? Or perhaps do the Kremlings go the pirate route of easy to preserve foods like jerky and hardtack? In either case, how the heck would K. Rool get so fat?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I have Smash Bros. coming next week, and I just got home from being treated to birthday sushi. Life is good. Speaking of, I got to thinking, if K. Rool doesn't like bananas (information that might be nebulous now...), what does he eat? Being a seafaring pirate captain, is his diet a primarily seafood one? Or perhaps do the Kremlings go the pirate route of easy to preserve foods like jerky and hardtack? In either case, how the heck would K. Rool get so fat?
To answer your questions:

1) He's a pirate. Clearly he wants the nanners to prevent scurvy

2) Because he's a tool to his subjects and eats their food

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
The idea of K. Rool's obesity has already been debunked.
bigboned.png

As you can see from the.... x-ray... K. Rool has a very large thoracic cavity, giving the appearance of immense girth, when, in fact, he has very little body fat at all.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
That Crocodile Cacophony remix is a total banger. Sad there's nothing from DKC3 again, but DKC2 getting two brand new remixes that are both really friggin' good is more than I could ever ask for. Plus the K. Rool Returns segment just works so well both in the song and in the context of K. Rool's inclusion. I'm in love with this game, man.

With the advent of the costume returning, we can finally recreate this.
View attachment 179609
holy god I forgot about this thing. Was so proud when I made it but now it's really rough looking haha

Steelia

Smash Champion
Guys I'm so friggin excited. Don't let anyone try to damper your enjoyment because it's not Melee. And they'll try.
I'll always love the fast-paced action of some casual Melee. But I never expect that game's formula to ever be recycled. I'll judge Ultimate on how it is as its own game, and see if it's enjoyable (which it looks to be).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think like spirits we are just supposed to use our imagination. And tbh they did a good job in that screenshot. I like K. Rool's expression on the boat.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's infinitely funnier that K. Rool is feeding a bunch of other K. Rools.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I believe "propellerpack" is the first time the DKC3 helicopter pack has been given a canonical name (though I'm probably going to stick to "helicopter pack" out of habit).

It's funny how the Smash interpretations of his blunderbuss and helicopter pack fit into his arc of learning from his mistakes. The blunderbuss blew up in K. Rool's face when he sucked projectiles back in in DKC2, and now re-firing projectiles is one of its key features. Likewise, the helicopter pack gave out on him when attacked in DKC3, and now it still functions properly when K. Rool is attacked out of his recovery. It's all totally on purpose!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'm guessing K. Rool is being overrated right now competitively. Probably a bias in his favor since he's generally well-liked and people *want* him to be good.

Oh well, I will be playing K. Rool regardless. I've been waiting a long time for this moment. Soon, Donkey Kong and his pretty little island will be no more.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I kinda wish they used Klaptraps instead of more K. Rools. It's a bit odd K. Rool feeds his victims to a horde of crocs identical to himself.
Either way it's funny.
Relax, mate, don't read into it too much

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm guessing K. Rool is being overrated right now competitively. Probably a bias in his favor since he's generally well-liked and people *want* him to be good.

Oh well, I will be playing K. Rool regardless. I've been waiting a long time for this moment. Soon, Donkey Kong and his pretty little island will be no more.
I mean, people certainly aren’t doing the same for Ridley, who is currently looking mediocre competitively. K. Rool has a legitimately good toolset, kill power, mobility, and survivability (one of the heaviest characters + one of the best recoveries in the game). I’d bet if he had a skinnier frame like Snake or something, people would be saying he’s OP.

I doubt K. Rool will be top 5 or anything but he certainly seems viable at least.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I dunno if I've mentioned it, but one of my favorite things to hear from anyone in regards to K. Rool is "I didn't care about him until I saw his trailer." It goes to show how much appeal, when given the spotlight, the character has. It's also just great in general to know that so many people have learned to appreciate just how great of a character he is.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Exams stink. I won't be done until December 20th. Won't get to play as much as I want to until done.

D

Deleted member

Love the name of the moves, Blunderbuss, Crownerang, Propellerpack, Gut Check, the Blast-O-Matic perfect. Great names.

The King K. Rool picture of him feeding Villager to other variations perfect!

Also don't worry Aeon Lupin, I won't be able to play right away ether. Nintendo Switch's right joy-con's been busted so I got to send it for repair. Hope To still get the game on launch but got to get that fixed before playing. So I got stuff to take of too.

Good luck with the exams you'll play soon enough and all of us will soon be playing that amazing King K. Rool!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I mean, people certainly aren’t doing the same for Ridley, who is currently looking mediocre competitively. K. Rool has a legitimately good toolset, kill power, mobility, and survivability (one of the heaviest characters + one of the best recoveries in the game). I’d bet if he had a skinnier frame like Snake or something, people would be saying he’s OP.

I doubt K. Rool will be top 5 or anything but he certainly seems viable at least.
I don't doubt what you say in that Ridley seems to have some not insignificant weaknesses, and that K. Rool has an impressive looking kit right now, but it is worth noting Ridley was and among detractors likely still is far and away far more polarizing than K. Rool was as a character. partially due to some Ridley fans being toxic on occasion, but also Ridley's big deterring point for most detractors (Compare "He's canonically almost always 4x bigger than the protagonist of his home series" with "He's ugly/irrelevant.". One of them doesn't argue why they feel a character couldn't fundamentally work.). In the way that it's possible some K. Rool fans are wearing rose colored glasses hoping really hard K. Rool is good, I wouldn't doubt there's at least a few people still salty enough to hope that Ridley ends up being bad. We saw that with Corrin and Cloud, Smash fans saying they couldn't play the game anymore just knowing they might see those characters in For Glory, even if they themselves wouldn't buy them and dare sully their pure roster. Ridley has some good stuff going for him, like a nice nair and good tilts and 2 good specials and 1 situational one in up b (Yeah, I'll concede skewer looks straight up bad imo. Not in 1v1 at least.), and yet some like M2K are calling him abysmal (Do note that I'm not implying M2K hates Ridley. I know that it's mostly all theorycrafting right now and no two competitive players will have the same opinions on every character.).

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I don't doubt what you say in that Ridley seems to have some not insignificant weaknesses, and that K. Rool has an impressive looking kit right now, but it is worth noting Ridley was and among detractors likely still is far and away far more polarizing than K. Rool was as a character. partially due to some Ridley fans being toxic on occasion, but also Ridley's big deterring point for most detractors (Compare "He's canonically almost always 4x bigger than the protagonist of his home series" with "He's ugly/irrelevant.". One of them doesn't argue why they feel a character couldn't fundamentally work.). In the way that it's possible some K. Rool fans are wearing rose colored glasses hoping really hard K. Rool is good, I wouldn't doubt there's at least a few people still salty enough to hope that Ridley ends up being bad. We saw that with Corrin and Cloud, Smash fans saying they couldn't play the game anymore just knowing they might see those characters in For Glory, even if they themselves wouldn't buy them and dare sully their pure roster. Ridley has some good stuff going for him, like a nice nair and good tilts and 2 good specials and 1 situational one in up b (Yeah, I'll concede skewer looks straight up bad imo. Not in 1v1 at least.), and yet some like M2K are calling him abysmal (Do note that I'm not implying M2K hates Ridley. I know that it's mostly all theorycrafting right now and no two competitive players will have the same opinions on every character.).
Honestly, we seriously shouldn't take the word of an analyst as gospel. Just a week ago they were saying Chrom was going to be trash because of his recovery, and now that the people who have gotten their hands on the game are trying things with him, it's become abundantly clear that he has some of the best frame data and hitboxes in the entire game. He's like Little Mac without ****ty aerials.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Honestly, we seriously shouldn't take the word of an analyst as gospel. Just a week ago they were saying Chrom was going to be trash because of his recovery, and now that the people who have gotten their hands on the game are trying things with him, it's become abundantly clear that he has some of the best frame data and hitboxes in the entire game. He's like Little Mac without ****ty aerials.
Oh, absolutely, I wasn't claiming at all that we should take analysts as gospel. If anything I was trying to suggest the opposite since my point was people analyzing Ridley could potentially be subtley biased too.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Oh, absolutely, I wasn't claiming at all that we should take analysts as gospel. If anything I was trying to suggest the opposite since my point was people analyzing Ridley could potentially be subtley biased too.
I figured, I thought I would just add on with a good example as to why that is.

StormC

Smash Hero
Longtime K Rool supporters, I have a question.

What was the lowest point in your campaign to get King K Rool in Smash? Where you, for a moment, believed that Nintendo would stow him in some cupboard away forever, and never give him the glory he deserves?
I didn't see this earlier, but wanted to respond:

Like many, the Mii costume. If you're willing to dig up posts from July/August 2015, I... did not take the news well. I was sure K. Rool would be DLC. Why wouldn't he be? He's a classic character with tons of ballot votes and from a beloved yet underrepresented series. Of course! It made so much sense! Despite deep down knowing he was deconfirmed, I still held onto a sliver of hope until the Corrin/Bayonetta reveal took the wind out of everything. I remember people suggesting that the Smash Ballot might actually be used to collect data for a sequel rather than DLC. That seemed laughable.

Oops.

The Mii costume felt like so close, yet so far. It was his Rareware-era design, which hadn't been seen since 1999, but with some adjustments to make it more modern. Why would they go through so much effort for a costume - why not reuse assets from the trophy? Yet... it was just a costume. Not only that, but it seems like it had little bearing on the eventual Smash design, even more confusingly. I was baffled and outraged and sad.

After Corrin/Bayonetta, I posted in the thread my disappointment, with a sinking feeling that Bayonetta was not really the "ballot winner" (which she was certainly presented as being of a sort, even if word choices allowed for them to get out of being exact about it), and left SmashBoards. I hung up my hat on speculation, thinking the next Smash was not coming out for a very long time and I would be in my 30s at least if I ever saw K. Rool in Smash. I felt defeated, and annoyed at all the detractors who got their "win" by us losing. I felt that he could still return to DKC someday, but by the time he would have a chance to be in Smash again, I'd probably stop caring. Every time I saw K. Rool I was just reminded of a grueling battle that we seemingly lost.

Hope rose again with a certain burning symbol in an Inkling eye... I felt going into E3 K. Rool had about a 50/50 chance, but with the confirmation of Ridley and focus on things that fans wanted (veterans returning, changes to gameplay mechanics, etc.), K. Rool was surely coming. The knowledge of the December 2015 design document and the Bayonetta datamine only sent my hopes up higher and higher. I was so sure it was all lining up...

...and then Vergeben's PM was leaked with "no new DK rep." Although the details to Verge's claim were initially vague - and later from a bunk source - the damage was done. I remember being in the K. Rool discord when the news broke. We were distraught for perhaps the first time since E3. No new DK character? Seriously? What the hell does this mean for the DK franchise? All sorts of doomsday scenarios ran through our heads.

Did I mention this was literally the night before the August Direct, with the music leak confirming Verge's claim of Simon Belmont? We needed a miracle, and a certain crocodile king rose to the challenge. It's true what they say. The night is darkest before the dawn.

K. Rool returns.gif

Hail to the king, baby.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I didn't see this earlier, but wanted to respond:

Like many, the Mii costume. If you're willing to dig up posts from July/August 2015, I... did not take the news well. I was sure K. Rool would be DLC. Why wouldn't he be? He's a classic character with tons of ballot votes and from a beloved yet underrepresented series. Of course! It made so much sense! Despite deep down knowing he was deconfirmed, I still held onto a sliver of hope until the Corrin/Bayonetta reveal took the wind out of everything. I remember people suggesting that the Smash Ballot might actually be used to collect data for a sequel rather than DLC. That seemed laughable.

Oops.

The Mii costume felt like so close, yet so far. It was his Rareware-era design, which hadn't been seen since 1999, but with some adjustments to make it more modern. Why would they go through so much effort for a costume - why not reuse assets from the trophy? Yet... it was just a costume. Not only that, but it seems like it had little bearing on the eventual Smash design, even more confusingly. I was baffled and outraged and sad.

After Corrin/Bayonetta, I posted in the thread my disappointment, with a sinking feeling that Bayonetta was not really the "ballot winner" (which she was certainly presented as being of a sort, even if word choices allowed for them to get out of being exact about it), and left SmashBoards. I hung up my hat on speculation, thinking the next Smash was not coming out for a very long time and I would be in my 30s at least if I ever saw K. Rool in Smash. I felt defeated, and annoyed at all the detractors who got their "win" by us losing. I felt that he could still return to DKC someday, but by the time he would have a chance to be in Smash again, I'd probably stop caring. Every time I saw K. Rool I was just reminded of a grueling battle that we seemingly lost.

Hope rose again with a certain burning symbol in an Inkling eye... I felt going into E3 K. Rool had about a 50/50 chance, but with the confirmation of Ridley and focus on things that fans wanted (veterans returning, changes to gameplay mechanics, etc.), K. Rool was surely coming. The knowledge of the December 2015 design document and the Bayonetta datamine only sent my hopes up higher and higher. I was so sure it was all lining up...

...and then Vergeben's PM was leaked with "no new DK rep." Although the details to Verge's claim were initially vague - and later from a bunk source - the damage was done. I remember being in the K. Rool discord when the news broke. We were distraught for perhaps the first time since E3. No new DK character? Seriously? What the hell does this mean for the DK franchise? All sorts of doomsday scenarios ran through our heads.

Did I mention this was literally the night before the August Direct, with the music leak confirming Verge's claim of Simon Belmont? We needed a miracle, and a certain crocodile king rose to the challenge. It's true what they say. The night is darkest before the dawn.

View attachment 180533

Hail to the king, baby.
That was the most inspiring thing I've ever read, and it's about a fictional character. What am I doing with my life.

Side note, I can understand why, but now that King K Rool is in, I hope people stop bashing Corrin for getting in. I liked her from the beginning, she's my main alongside Lucina and King K Rool, and it kinda hurts when people say she shouldn't be there ;_;

To the guy who asked which alt we're picking, I'm changing from blue to gold alt. Desert Krok / Gerudo Krok all the way babyyyy.

StormC

Smash Hero
That was the most inspiring thing I've ever read, and it's about a fictional character. What am I doing with my life.

Side note, I can understand why, but now that King K Rool is in, I hope people stop bashing Corrin for getting in. I liked her from the beginning, she's my main alongside Lucina and King K Rool, and it kinda hurts when people say she shouldn't be there ;_;

To the guy who asked which alt we're picking, I'm changing from blue to gold alt. Desert Krok / Gerudo Krok all the way babyyyy.
I have chosen to not be bitter about any character inclusions after K. Rool got in.

And thank you for the kind words! I think the story behind K. Rool's revival is quite the tale and has, in a way, made the character something more than he is.

And I mean that in a good way.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't seem liek this has been shared yet:

K.Rool is indeed not like most heavies. He has good projectiles and defensive tools that will prevent him being camped or overwhelmed by small fast characters. This makes him really unique and well-equipped to rise above his brethren that has historically been low tier. Been playing him lately to good effect.

Plus he has some dirty things with hitting blunderbuss at close range and re-absorbing his own projectile.

Also a killthrow!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's perfect and King K. Rool I was going to use him anyway.

But dang hearing that.

Makes me want to use him more now.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Doesn't seem liek this has been shared yet:

K.Rool is indeed not like most heavies. He has good projectiles and defensive tools that will prevent him being camped or overwhelmed by small fast characters. This makes him really unique and well-equipped to rise above his brethren that has historically been low tier. Been playing him lately to good effect.

Plus he has some dirty things with hitting blunderbuss at close range and re-absorbing his own projectile.

Also a killthrow!
Wait, you've been playing him? But that means...

... Well, can't say you're not a Kutthroat to the bone.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
This may seem like a stupid question, but does the Krown still count as a projectile in the air? I haven't seen anyone try to grab it from the air yet

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
This may seem like a stupid question, but does the Krown still count as a projectile in the air? I haven't seen anyone try to grab it from the air yet
Gonna be a bit tricky to test this by myself. I think it can only be grabbed once it's on the floor. Will report later tonight on if it can be grabbed during initial throw.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
I can confirm from labbing streams that the krown cannot be grabbed out of the air. It's not an item until it touches the ground.

Amazing, unbelievable and heartwarming to see K.Rool back in the mainstream again.

We've come full circle these past two decades.

Pictures from the front page and Smash Ultimate main page of EB Games Australia website, aka Gamestop in other countries.

1.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

"See Ridley *points*, never too big."

Not long to go now, Kutthroats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom