• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
King K Rool will most likely be the heaviest since Sakurai made such a big deal on how heavy he was in the reveal trailer, the fact every time he took a step he would make the ground shake.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
So my question to you all is, what do you dislike the MOST about K Rool's Smash incarnation?
The counter, definitely. They could have definitely done something more creative for K. Rool, or at least a more creative counter where he puts an electric node in front of him or something.

Second, I wish it was :ultkrool:voice actor instead of realistic animal sounds, but I don't mind it with K Rool that much unlike characters like:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultbowser:. The three having realistic sounds just don't fit with their character that well. Diddy especially is really annoying to listen to with realistic gorilla grunts that I wish it was his actual voice actor.
I agree with this. I'd prefer the Paon voice or the Rare voice over the crocodile noises and DK and Bowser's voices are just awful. I don't really see it as a problem for Diddy though, since his voice sounds like monkey noises anyway.

I don't see Smash's design as strictly Paon. I see it as a mixture of both Rare and Paon. The darker green skin, golden belly, personality, and tail (even if it is short) is taken from Rare. The small crown, blue jewel, and face are taken from Paon. It's a mixture of both worlds and that's why it's perfect to me. I know we wouldn't get K.Rool's Rare voice (for obvious reasons) but I'm glad they just went with generic crocodile noises (which I was originally against) over the Paon voice honestly.
The color palette is Rare. Everything else is Paon, which I'm happy with. I wholly expected to get the Rare design, though. It probably just wasn't fat enough for Sakurai's vision.

StormC

Smash Hero
So my question to you all is, what do you dislike the MOST about K Rool's Smash incarnation?
Let's see...

-Like everyone else, the kounter. Heck, if they called it Kounter, I'd be okay with it. It's not the worst move you could give K. Rool for his down special, it's just hard to get excited about.

-I love the design but I sorta miss the bigger crown. It's big when he throws it at least, so that's appreciated. I also wish the snout was a bit more pronounced, like it is in the Rare design.

-No Kaptain alt is a legit bummer. It might have been difficult to implement with the crown throw/his animations, but it sure would've been great since Ridley got his Meta alt. The hat showing up for his blunderbuss is a nice compromise, though.

-Like someone else said, the lack of biting attacks is odd. He has one of Bowser's taunts of biting at the air, but not as an actual attack. I kinda wish in general they got a little bit more creative with his normal attacks/tilts/aerials, like maybe he brings out a Klaptrap for one of them as a disjoint, or he pistol whips you with the blunderbuss like in DKC2.

Think that's it. Mostly nitpicks. They got the important details right, and despite using mostly the Paon design, they thankfully brought back the gold belly.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Really enjoying all the tweets the different Nintendo channels are posting about the K.Rool amiibo. They are really pushing this one more than all the other characters which to me tells me 2 things: 1. The K.Rool amiibo will probably be plentiful and easy to find on release and 2. K.Rool feels like he's here to stay from now on and won't go on another 10 year long hiatus.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Oh I wish there was an opening cutscene like this in the final game (or smt really similar to the opening cinematic of Melee). The one in Smash Wii U was just kinda lazy. :(

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
The only 2 bummers for me are:

1. No Kaptain K. Rool alt... Ridley has Meta... I feel it would have been an easy add, but maybe Sakurai thought too hard about it. Just have him wear the pirate hat by default and he can reach under it and throw the krown out. When using the gun he wouldn't have to reach for the pirate hat...or something.

2. Him not having the much needed *HONK* when he gets K.O.d hurts.. I figured that would be a given like Megamans unique K.O. sound, but I guess Pacman didn't get his death sound so...go figure..

I really wanted to see him in his Kaptain outfit....as well. Especially now that he has a Kounter.... He would pull his coat apart in the front like Superman revealing his golden belly... Would be EPIC..

Again....I'm just glad he's here..

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
^ Agreed about the *honk* KO sound that's probably the biggest thing I dislike about K.Rool in Smash (and the lack of a slightly longer tail). Everything else is perfect to me. While the Kaptain Kostume would've been nice. I didn't grow up with DKC2 like a lot of you did (didn't play it until it hit Wii VC in 2008-9) so I don't have that much nostalgia too it but it would've been awesome. (I grew up with DKC and DK64 btw).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wonder if Bowser will still be the heaviest character in the game. If K. Rool is not the heaviest character, he should at least be the 2nd heaviest.
That does ask another question when you think about it. If King K. Rool truly is heavier than Bowser, would he also have the Tough Guy mechanic? In Smash 3DS / Wii U, Bowser would never flinch (except from throws), unless he took more than 19 units of knockback.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Someone on Gamefaqs gave his hands on impressions of K.Rool. If true here's what they have to say about him:
His dash attack has super armor, along with some other smash attacks, I believe. Thankfully, his armor didn't break at all from my gameplay.
When asked how fun K.Rool is to play on a scale of 1-10:
Straight up 11. He was incredibly fun to play as. Didn't feel sluggish or weak at all. A fast super heavyweight with super armor, great projectiles, a great recovery, and tons of early kill moves? Hell yes! I'm so happy to finally play as him after all these years and he definitely lived up to the hype!
When asked how large K. Rool's hitboxes are:
They are. I'd easily wager he's the heaviest character in the game and maybe the 2nd biggest after Ridley(?). Got attacked very easily but he moves fast and it takes *a lot* to KO the big *******. He has a great survival rate

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
That does ask another question when you think about it. If King K. Rool truly is heavier than Bowser, would he also have the Tough Guy mechanic? In Smash 3DS / Wii U, Bowser would never flinch (except from throws), unless he took more than 19 units of knockback.
He already has something similar with the super armor from his belly plate gotta look out of not abusing it though because it can be broken like a shield. Overall I see he's going to be as heavy as Bowser and if not at least more than Donkey Kong and King Dedede.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He already has something similar with the super armor from his belly plate gotta look out of not abusing it though because it can be broken like a shield. Overall I see he's going to be as heavy as Bowser and if not at least more than Donkey Kong and King Dedede.
Tough Guy is knockback-based heavy armor that's active all the time though. King K. Rool's super armor periods only occur when he performs certain attacks.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't know why they didn't just give him the Mii Fighter hat. Meh. Better than just the crown.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So that pretty much means that you can't use the d-throw on its own to make KOs. By the way, does anyone know if getting buried still reduces how much knockback a fighter will take (like in Smash 3DS / Wii U)?
There's really not much point in killing with Dthrow anyways. Uthrow has that covered in spades.

As for reduced knockback from bury, it's definitely not as nerfed as it was in Smash 4, because both ROB and K Rool get solid knockback out of their KO moves regardless.

EDIT:

Looks like K Rool's Usmash Kill Hitbox is indeed the Up part and not the planking. You can see in this video at 0:54 that he Usmashes, kills Mario at 97% (Handidly), while Cloud at 72% is only sent a medium distance away.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, uh, if footage surfaces where some guy yells out "HD Blast-o-Matic!!" and then subsequently gets bodied in a FFA...I got excited.

I drove like 45 minutes to play a K. Rool match at one of the demo setups near my home, and after sprinting through the mall like a crazy person for 20 minutes during the last hour, I was lucky enough to partake in the last match of the day.

I wasn't thinking straight enough to get into specifics, and it's extremely hard to test anything out in the chaos of a FFA, but everything about Rool's "feel" felt great. There's a very noticeable weight to basically everything he does, from landing to stomping DTilt to (especially) crunching someone with UThrow. Ended up coming in third, behind two experienced players and ahead of one kid who spammed Pikachu FSmash. I thought the wait was hard before I got to test him out, however briefly, but now I really can't wait to do a deeper dive (and without using the godawful Switch controllers where you have to physically move your thumb to input specials and standards).

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh no! That's lame that K. Rool Kirby doesn't have eyes. Eyes are integral to K. Rool's design! But eh, I would have also given Peach K irby Peach's bangs, too. That hasn't happened.

The hat is slightly creepy in a Cruella Devilleish way. Kirby's just wearing a slab of green crocodile leather on his head.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh no! That's lame that K. Rool Kirby doesn't have eyes. Eyes are integral to K. Rool's design! But eh, I would have also given Peach K irby Peach's bangs, too. That hasn't happened.

The hat is slightly creepy in a Cruella Devilleish way. Kirby's just wearing a slab of green crocodile leather on his head.
Considering that Kirby's eye textures are flat AND mirrored, there's really no way to make just one of his eyes bloodshot. And when you think it over, it really wouldn't look too good anyway.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
There's really not much point in killing with Dthrow anyways. Uthrow has that covered in spades.

As for reduced knockback from bury, it's definitely not as nerfed as it was in Smash 4, because both ROB and K Rool get solid knockback out of their KO moves regardless.

EDIT:

Looks like K Rool's Usmash Kill Hitbox is indeed the Up part and not the planking. You can see in this video at 0:54 that he Usmashes, kills Mario at 97% (Handidly), while Cloud at 72% is only sent a medium distance away.
It's worth pointing out that ROBs is not a fair comparison - his Up Smash has a grounded hitbox meant to launch opponents next to him into the attack. This unburies the opponents meaning they take full knockback from the attack.

This said KKR has an extremely strong F-Smash. If the opponent is at a percentage where they can't feasibly mash out, it should KO them - and probably a little earlier than Up Throw, whose true strength we don't really know yet.

There are also other options we've yet to consider, such as aerials rather than smash attacks, particularly at lower percentages. If you're a ROB player burying at 80% it looks like you should go for Up Air rather than Up Smash and I'd wager similar things are true here.

StormC

Smash Hero
That previously posted video is probably some of the best K. Rool footage we've seen yet. Especially him fighting my other main :ultcloud:.

I hope I can unlock him on release night. I'll be getting the game as early as 9 PM, thank you best coast.

Not bad, even though I thought King Krusha K. Rool was a no brainer.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
It's worth pointing out that ROBs is not a fair comparison - his Up Smash has a grounded hitbox meant to launch opponents next to him into the attack. This unburies the opponents meaning they take full knockback from the attack.

This said KKR has an extremely strong F-Smash. If the opponent is at a percentage where they can't feasibly mash out, it should KO them - and probably a little earlier than Up Throw, whose true strength we don't really know yet.

There are also other options we've yet to consider, such as aerials rather than smash attacks, particularly at lower percentages. If you're a ROB player burying at 80% it looks like you should go for Up Air rather than Up Smash and I'd wager similar things are true here.
We do have an instance of K Rool's Kill potential off the bury(though it was Dtilt bury). Back in the Treehouse video, K Rool landed a Fsmash on a buried Diddy Kong at 117%, sending him from the right side of the Omega Jungle Japes and KOing him HANDIDLY on the other side of the screen.

If we want to measure if bury nerfs knockback, find a Fsmash that connects in a similar range in a match (there should be plenty around now that the demo is more readily available) and see how far they are sent

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, we have footage of the first all-K. Rool battle:

You can see his screen splat at around 2:30.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, we have footage of the first all-K. Rool battle:

You can see his screen splat at around 2:30.
Wow, he's so good at playing dead that he can have his body go entirely stiff on command.

How many times did DK Island get destroyed in that fight?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Got to experience the game myself today at one of the local mall venues. Only got in two games (one as K. Rool), but my friend went Kirby just so we could see what his hat looked like. It's...definitely something.

Should've just gone with the crown, tbh. But whatever. K. Rool feels great, even if I only got third with him. Can't wait to really sit down and lab him when the full game comes out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Weren't some titles different between different versions of the game? (I think Mega Man was called Super Fighting Robot in the North American version and The Blue Bomber in the UK version, or something along those lines) We could still get King Krusha K. Rool somewhere.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
With how the Titles are setup (Title-Picture-Name from top to bottom), splicing 'Krusha' into the middle would just be a pain to work around. Just Krusha-Picture-King K Rool would look like he got shafted a title, King Krusha K Rool-Picture-King K Rool would be redundant, and King Krusha K Rool-Picture-Nothing would be really weird.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
My only big gripe is kommander being misspelled.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Weren't some titles different between different versions of the game? (I think Mega Man was called Super Fighting Robot in the North American version and The Blue Bomber in the UK version, or something along those lines) We could still get King Krusha K. Rool somewhere.
Yeah, some were different in the North American/European versions. Mega Man was "Blue Metal Hero" in North America, but has thankfully been changed to "The Blue Bomber" for Ultimate.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Glorious. Though it would have been kool to have it say Kommander instead.

On the topic of minor nitpicks, there are a couple. I wish his tail is longer like in the Rare games. At least he has a small tail as opposed to the no tail in his appearances in the last decade. It would be nice to see more of the Blunderbuss projectiles like the spiked kannonball and the poison gas. Plus him propelling himself with the Blunderbuss would be kool. The Kaptain alternate kostume would have been amazing but as StormC said K. Rool wearing the Kaptain's hat during his Blunderbuss attack is a nice konsolation prize. But yeah, those are just very very minor nitpicks. I'm very much looking forward to maining K. Rool and going through matchups with every single character in the roster. And also the many many snapshots of the Reptile Bros. Less than a month to go.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If we want to measure if bury nerfs knockback, find a Fsmash that connects in a similar range in a match (there should be plenty around now that the demo is more readily available) and see how far they are sent
We'd have to wait until the game is fully released to get the full details on how much knockback is reduced against buried fighters; I would assume that Training would exclude stale moves and the 1-on-1 damage multiplier when calculating damage.

Anyway, in Smash 3DS / Wii U, buried fighters won't flinch unless they take more than 70 units of knockback, but the amount of knockback that they take gets reduced by 0.7x.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
A guy was filming the match the first time I played as King K. Rool so I asked him to send me the link. Here it is!

It was glorious, I really want to main him so I'm happy with how he felt; despite using the pro controller which I have a hard time adjusting to. Definitely think he will be my main. If not, still one I play most of the time.

Top Bottom