• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Considering Diddy has his Peanut Popgun and Rocketbarrel Boost, the DK64 references make a lot of sense. And again, it's the game that puts K. Rool in the spotlight far more than any of the other Rare games; he has a couple of minor cutscenes in DKC2, 3, and even Land III, but nothing like in 64. After Squawks, he's literally the first character you meet in the opening cinematic.

I'm not the biggest fan of DK64 these days, but I agree that I have fond memories of it and K. Rool's portrayal is a highlight for me... mostly.

Never liked how K. Rool just turned into a complete joke during the final boss battle, but the boxing gloves are still welcome on his moveset.

The Expresso trophy in Smash 4 references Donkey Kong Land, so it wouldn't be the first. But K. Rool's recovery/falling animation is the first deliberate nod to DKC3 after five Smash games.
Now that you mention it, the final boss battle of DK64 didn't really feel like a final boss. It's pretty cool that you get to use all the Kongs in the fight, but it didn't have that sense of urgency like a final boss should. I still like the fight and I agree with your point. I should revisit the game soon. But yeah it's great to see DK64 references with K. Rool especially the Blast-o-Matic.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Haven't posted here in a while, but needless to say I am very excited. The gameplay of the past few days has me very hopeful that K Rool will be incredibly viable and fun to play. It's honestly amazing I can actually play him in a legit Smash game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has anyone noticed a trend of villains sharing at least one move with their nemesis? Ridley has Samus's back air and K. Rool's ftilt is similar to DK's fsmash.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
K Rool Bair spike

In this match, King K Rool takes Ness's final stock with the Bair dunk
The king only looks better and better the more I see of him. That bair dunk looks insanely satisfying, especially the triumphant glare downwards the King has afterwards, like taking out the trash.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The king only looks better and better the more I see of him. That bair dunk looks insanely satisfying, especially the triumphant glare downwards the King has afterwards, like taking out the trash.
And we need to appreciate the fact that he has not one but TWO reliable spikes.

I'm low-key starting to worry that Sakurai may have overloaded his kit a bit and he's going to get hit with the nerf bat a month after launch...

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe we're a month away from Ultimate releasing. I just happen to have a big smile on my face because we live in a world where we all managed to make such a difference in his triumphant return. Seeing all of this gameplay also makes me excited. I can't wait until I manage to unlock him to try out all of what he can do.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Let's just all be careful not abusing K Rool's strengths too much when playing Elite Battles online. Otherwise, Sakurai and the dev team might nerf our King.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The biggest sense of irony, however, is that in Smash 3DS / Wii U, Dedede received nerfs when he didn't even need them. It's hard to say what the developers will think of as time passes.

Already, there have been reports of certain fighters and/or moves that feel underwhelming, and this does include the Final Smashes as well; Grand Star (formerly named Power Star) apparently doesn't function any better than it did in Smash 3DS / Wii U. Unfortunately, Nintendo hardly ever made any kind of modifications to the Final Smashes when doing software updates for Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Let's just all be careful not abusing K Rool's strengths too much when playing Elite Battles online. Otherwise, Sakurai and the dev team might nerf our King.
I'm not afraid of the king getting nerfed. I want the game to be balanced, and if K. Rool really is OP, I don't mind them nerfing him. I'm going to play him regardless.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The biggest sense of irony, however, is that in Smash 3DS / Wii U, Dedede received nerfs when he didn't even need them. It's hard to say what the developers will think of as time passes.

Already, there have been reports of certain fighters and/or moves that feel underwhelming, and this does include the Final Smashes as well; Grand Star (formerly named Power Star) apparently doesn't function any better than it did in Smash 3DS / Wii U. Unfortunately, Nintendo hardly ever made any kind of modifications to the Final Smashes when doing software updates for Smash 3DS / Wii U.
They probably know Final Smashes are inherently unbalanced moves and don't really see the point in patching them, unless there's some kind of killer bug.
Making a point of watching Elite, ie higher level play as guidelines for what to balance does tell me there won't be as much knee-jerk responses to casual complaints.

In case you're wondering why there is more of tendency to nerf top tiers instead of buffing the low ones, it's just a vicious cycle: no one uses the low tiers because they are bad, ergo the balancing team has little to no practical footage showing what is bad about them so nothing really gets fixed, and thus go on being unused etc. We can discuss, theorize and suggest all the fixes we want, but somehow I feel they'd take umbrage at random players telling them they know how to make a game better than they do.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They probably know Final Smashes are inherently unbalanced moves and don't really see the point in patching them, unless there's some kind of killer bug.
That's definitely a problem, since Zelda's new Final Smash is considered too good to some people, while Grand Star still isn't guaranteed to do much for Rosalina; the shorter Final Smash duration adds even more insult to injury. And then there's Demon King Ganon, where if he paralyzes you, you're pretty much dead, and based on what I've seen, Ganondorf's Final Smash in Ultimate is better than in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Not really sure what will happen to the King long-term, but I plan to use him regardless. They would have to literally remove him from the game to stop me from playing him.

Some of this is simply due to pride; we've waited so damn long for the King that it's our time to flaunt the glory whenever we feel like it really. The other thing is that he breaks tradition from other heavy characters due to... Well, being King K. Rool. He's got projectiles, odd armour mechanics, very interesting attributes to many of his moves, a decent recovery and even a counter. Many of these things are oddities amongst heavier characters and will certainly make him more fun to use for me personally.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
And we need to appreciate the fact that he has not one but TWO reliable spikes.
Three. Don't forget Usmash has a spiking hitbox. And you might say 'well, that's a grounded spike, that's not useful'. But remember, recoveries have been hit hard in this game. We're going to see a LOT of aggressive recoveries (look at Roy and Ken) that rely on hitting the opponent to make them safe. Know what solves that problem? A Belly Armor Spiking move.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Three. Don't forget Usmash has a spiking hitbox. And you might say 'well, that's a grounded spike, that's not useful'. But remember, recoveries have been hit hard in this game. We're going to see a LOT of aggressive recoveries (look at Roy and Ken) that rely on hitting the opponent to make them safe. Know what solves that problem? A Belly Armor Spiking move.
Speaking of spikes, I'm not sure if it has already been discussed, but is there a spike hitbox at the bottom (the feet) of K Rool's up-air?

EDIT: And despite K Rool's potential nerfs, I'll still play him regardless. If I can do it with:ultmario:, I can also do it with:ultkrool:. :)

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I don't care if King K. Rool is bad or not. He is my favorite villain of all time, and I've been waiting way too long to play as him. I'm not going to drop him if he's "bad", that's irrelevant unless you're one of the best players in the world and are competing strictly for money. Charizard is another favorite character of mine, and I used him for the entirety of Smash 4 despite him being low tier. This was because I love Charizard as a character, and I liked how he played as well; tiers don't affect which characters I want to play, how much I like the character itself does. I will be only maining King K. Rool in Ultimate for similar reasons I mained Charizard in Smash 4, and I will not drop the kremling king if he gets nerfed heavily. It's great to have my favorite villain by far as a playable character in Smash Ultimate, and that's all that matters for me.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It would be sweet if K. Rool was also added for Super Mario Party DLC, there’s evidence to suggest the game will receive some:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MARIOPARTY...ent_evidence_pointing_to_dlc_for_super_mario/

https://m.imgur.com/a/U3q0OAl

Also, K. Rool’s major presence in DK64 is one of the many reasons I love that game.
Seeing K. Rool in more Mario spin-offs would be fantastic. I would definitely buy him if he were to make it into Mario Party. I'd also love to see him be added in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe if they ever decided to add even more content. Just imagine driving around as K. Rool. I'd be a very happy person.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I mean. I mained DeDeDe in 4, I know suffering lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing K. Rool in more Mario spin-offs would be fantastic. I would definitely buy him if he were to make it into Mario Party. I'd also love to see him be added in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe if they ever decided to add even more content. Just imagine driving around as K. Rool. I'd be a very happy person.
A Mario Kart 8 Deluxe appearance is pretty much wishful thinking at this point, but a Super Mario Party appearance could be possible if DLC is ever planned.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
See, thing is, I don't have a history with King K Rool.
I've been a fan of Nintendo for a while now, bit I've only played their more recent titles, and pretty much never DK. I didn't understand why people wanted King K Rool. I didn't doubt that he deserved being in Smash, but I didn't know why he had legions of supporters.
Then his Ultimate trailer dropped.
My god. Who is this majestic, bizarre, sumo wrestler of a crocodile? Why does he make my peepee so hard? Why did he come up at the perfect time, when I was lamenting the loss of my previous heavy, caused
Charizard? Why did I voraciously devour every piece of new info about him and actually end up paying the dkc series? He has a projectile, a counter, and a fantastic recovery? What?????

I never knew how much I loved King K Rool until I saw him in smash. He wasn't just a bulky heavy. He was actually absolutely fat, and proud of it. And I swore to main him alongside Lucina and Corrin when I saw that sneaky laugh of his when he uses Blunderbuss.

Bless King K Rool, and bless you all for your hard work for bringing him to smash. Kudos.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's now been over three months since the King's confirmation. To celebrate, I have the leaked ballot results.

Don't click if you don't want to know who won the Smash Ballot.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hey guys! I've managed to get free tickets to another event with Smash playable soon thanks to a friend who competes in Splatoon 2. It's not confirmed to be the entire roster, but in the event that it is, I intend on splitting my time pretty evenly between ROB (old mains die hard) and King K. Rool. With this in mind, is there anything specific we are itching to know or try out? I'm happy to give as many suggestions as I can a go.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hey guys! I've managed to get free tickets to another event with Smash playable soon thanks to a friend who competes in Splatoon 2. It's not confirmed to be the entire roster, but in the event that it is, I intend on splitting my time pretty evenly between ROB (old mains die hard) and King K. Rool. With this in mind, is there anything specific we are itching to know or try out? I'm happy to give as many suggestions as I can a go.
What event is it? I think there's a very good chance you'll get the full build.

That in mind, I'd love it if you could see if his up air does more damage with the crown on than without.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
What event is it? I think there's a very good chance you'll get the full build.

That in mind, I'd love it if you could see if his up air does more damage with the crown on than without.
It's Comic Con in Birmingham (UK). Happens November 24th-25th.

Your question has apparently already been tested; smashwiki suggests the damage is decreased without the crown but it's something I'll keep an eye on.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Your question has apparently already been tested; smashwiki suggests the damage is decreased without the crown but it's something I'll keep an eye on.
Ah, thanks for telling me this. Man, that's a nice detail, despite it being slightly detrimental to the king. They really put their all into him. Him and Ridley just have so much detail and love put into them. Kinda makes it worth waiting so long for them, if they were Smash 4 DLC, I don't know if they could have been as great as they are here.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
*CRACKS KNUCKLES*

Can you suck up your own Krown with the Blunderbuss while it's traveling back to you

Roughly how long does Dthrow bury at low percents? Is a different combo throw needed? At high percents can you connect your smash moves or would the opponent wiggle out in time?

How does Belly Counter interact with Belly Armor? Can it deflect projectiles or just nullify them? Can you counter if you're facing away?

Up Smash Spiking when someone is recovering. Can you give it a shot?

Does Uair auto snap the ledge? People were saying it did.

When does Uthrow Kill?

Can Fthrow combo at low percents?

Please test out UTilt's hitbox. It looks mad good but kinda wonky. Would like data on it.

Obviously some of these are hard to test in a demo; I don't expect you to investigate them all, you just test what you feel you're able to.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's been months since the reveal and I still, STILL, find myself stopping to realize just how immensely lucky we are that he was added.

His addition still feels like the kind of thing we'd all ask for and would find ourselves discussing how great it would be for over a decade (which we did), but then it would never happen, like how Geno and Isaac fans have felt and STILL feel.

It's so strange to see just how little was guaranteed after all of this, what with it being Sakurai's last SSB game (for real this time). I can't help but be thankful that so much love was put into his moveset as well (especially with Falcondorf still running around three games later). I keep feeling like I'm going to wake up one of these days and see that I imagined his inclusion.

It probably won't truly sink in until I unlock him, and man, am I having a hard time waiting for that day to come...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have heard that the d-throw can bury, but that can't be possible, unless the grabbed fighter is on the ground; even when a throw has the bury effect, it can't bury anyone, despite ignoring knockback resistance, and being weight independent. There has to be a burying hitbox that activates about one frame after King K. Rool releases his target.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I have heard that the d-throw can bury, but that can't be possible, unless the grabbed fighter is on the ground; even when a throw has the bury effect, it can't bury anyone, despite ignoring knockback resistance, and being weight independent. There has to be a burying hitbox that activates about one frame after King K. Rool releases his target.
Have you actually watched footage of it or are you being pedantic? It buries the opponent in the ground, same as ROBs Down Throw, same as DKs headbutt, the Pitfall, all that jazz. It functions identically - up to and including mashing out to reduce time buried.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Have you actually watched footage of it or are you being pedantic? It buries the opponent in the ground, same as ROBs Down Throw, same as DKs headbutt, the Pitfall, all that jazz. It functions identically - up to and including mashing out to reduce time buried.
From what I've seen in Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U, Giga Bowser's d-throw could only bury fighters who were caught in the crossfire of the bury hitboxes; the grabbed fighter never got buried whatsoever. And even when I modified the d-throw's throw to have the bury effect, it did NOT bury the grabbed fighter at all; the fighter had to get hit by a bury hitbox AFTER being released to get buried.

Is there something about King K. Rool's d-throw that enables him to bury grabbed fighters before actually releasing them?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From what I've seen in Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U, Giga Bowser's d-throw could only bury fighters who were caught in the crossfire of the bury hitboxes; the grabbed fighter never got buried whatsoever. And even when I modified the d-throw's throw to have the bury effect, it did NOT bury the grabbed fighter at all; the fighter had to get hit by a bury hitbox AFTER being released to get buried.

Is there something about King K. Rool's d-throw that enables him to bury grabbed fighters before actually releasing them?
Collateral hitboxes on throws have nothing to do with the person being thrown. You'll never hit the intended victim of Ryu's up throw with the considerably stronger foot coming down, for example.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Are you recording footage? If so...please do a King K.Rool vs. Donkey Kong match. I need it for the nostalgia!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

I couldn't tell you how it's actually coded in, but here's some footage so you can see exactly how it's working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDN3Eq_CN_M

ROB's works the same way. I've not heard of any other character getting one of these yet.

Are you recording footage? If so...please do a King K.Rool vs. Donkey Kong match. I need it for the nostalgia!
As an honest answer, I don't know whether anything will be recorded. It's also highly dependent on who I play with and what queues are like; if they are long (which is not usually the case in the UK, I remember them being around 20 minutes in my last event as opposed to the 4+ hours I've heard reported from the US) then the chances of me getting to do a singles match is slim.

Top Bottom