• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Looking good!

Saw this article earlier today and thought you guys might appreciate it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...boy_color_games_from_the_mid_to_late_nineties

Also, description of the King's amiibo, done justice (albeit with a typo or two).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...where_to_buy_ridley_wolf_king_k_rool_and_more
Did not realise DK64, Diddy Kong Racing and GBC DKC sold that much.

There was some person ****posting on the main board claiming that it was a fact that no one knew who K.Rool was due to A. Not reaching him in the games and B. not being big in the 90s. Putting the actual games to the side, despite these stats, the cartoon and multiple pieces of merchandise being created for K.Rool at the time.

Hilarious how people still peddle this garbage in the face of real facts and it somewhat makes K.Rools inclusion all the more sweeter to be brutally honest.

Having him in the game standing alongside true all stars of gaming is amazing, but to actually be seemingly a viable and competitive character choice would just be the cherry on top of the cake.

Can't wait for the 7th!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm copying over the text of the letter I received from Nintendo this morning, responding to the thank-you letter so many of you signed a few months ago. Needless to say, this is extremely touching, and I don't think there could be a better culmination for the years of grassroots support that brought K. Rool back, from being an "irrelevant" has-been to a perfectly faithful mainstay standing shoulder to shoulder with the company's all-stars.

"Dear King K. Rool Fans:

Thank you very much for the thoughtful letter you sent us. Our sincere apologies for the delayed reply. We were flattered to receive it! We also love the fan art that came alongside the letter. It's clear that plenty of care and effort went into both. While Mr. Sakurai is unable to reply directly due to his busy schedule, rest assured that he shares your excitement and love for King K. Rool. He's hard at work making sure the Kremling king is ready to brawl when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches on December 7, 2018.

In your letter, you mentioned the thousands of King K. Rool fans who were ecstatic to hear about the character's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The sheer passion and love our fans have for our characters means the world to everyone here. We truly can't thank you enough for it. We're excited to show off just what King K. Rool is capable of as he dukes it out with all the other fantastic fighters that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has on its massive roster.

As a token of appreciation for all the support you've shown for Nintendo over the years, we've included some small gifts* with this letter that we hope helps make the wait for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just a little bit easier. Thank you again for everything you've done to help bring King K. Rool to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He's raring to battle, and we hope you are too!

Sincerely,

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
[Signature from Consumer Services Representative]"

* = the gifts were three nicely-designed bookmarks with artwork from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
This is just amazing. It's great to see a pure genuine response from NoA instead of the copy and paste generalized responses. It's so satisfying to see them acknowledge our love of K. Rool. Thank you Nintendo and Sakurai for your hard work in making K. Rool into a lovable character in Ultimate!
Amazing. It's so apparent Sakurai put as much love into K. Rool as he possibly could, withe every bit of new footage we get. I'm really proud to have been a part of this movement with you all over the years, and here's to much more K. Rool in Smash and beyond!
Here here! Every single day that passes, I love all the detail the development team put into K. Rool in the little things. It's the little things that matters to all of us Kutthroats. I am loving K. Rool's moveset more and more with each new footage we get. He's definitely getting the royal treatment he deserves. I guarantee that I will be having a blast when I get to play as him for the very first time. I can say I'm pure 100% satisfied with K. Rool's portrayal in Ultimate. I wish I can say the same for Wario...

Seeing K. Rool in this shot in the World of Light trailers make me so damn happy. Every time I see this exact shot, I grin like an idiot. K. Rool being there next to Mario, Link, Pit, Samus, Bowser, Kirby, Fox, etc. makes these past 10 years of kampaigning well worth it.
World Of Light 2.JPG

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so one of the nice thing about 'I don't know how to jump' level of players is that they can give good insights into the moves they spam. In this case, we get two matches on how much Krown Toss has armor. Which is A LOT of it and not Belly. It looks like the armor frames kick in after he tosses the Krown, while he's in the delayed animation before he can move again.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
The belly armour only breaks if you use the armour moves to trade with another fighter.

So if you're in a pinch, with Cloud up airing below you, you can use nair to power through it. Of course, that by itself is pretty op, so that's why the belly armour mechanic was introduced.

Simply hitting the belly armour won't work, you need to hit it while K Rool is using an armored move.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing that footage really emphasizes how huge K. Rool is, good lord.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I’m hoping with what we see, he doesn’t even touch the bottom tier list.

I hope there’s a certain percentage that it takes to break his belly. If they do some du b **** like with what they did to Dedede’s Gordo being hit back by only 2% damage, imma be mad and that would make me drop K. Rool right there. I haven’t seen much gameplay of K. Rool since the direct, so I’m not actually sure how the super armor clashes work visually.
Lol break it with villager bair spam, makes the MU even worse.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I guess you can't angle the Blunderbuss? Guy working at Nintendo claimed you could, but I've never seen it, so I'm calling the bluff

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I guess you can't angle the Blunderbuss? Guy working at Nintendo claimed you could, but I've never seen it, so I'm calling the bluff
Eeh it wouldnt be that amazing for him anyways. The regular angle is good enough it covers enough

Hows his airspeed?

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Has anyone been looking out for what DK tracks have been confirmed so far? I'm still praying for Crocodile Cacophony.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Reposting from the Ridley forums, found the first captured footage of Krool and Ridley fighting together on a team battle (sadly it was cut before the victory screen)

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Reposting from the Ridley forums, found the first captured footage of Krool and Ridley fighting together on a team battle (sadly it was cut before the victory screen)
It's a shame I have nobody to really play local with anymore, and you can't pair up with anyone on your friends list in 2v2 online. I'd love to have someone to play team matches as K. Rool/Ridley with. I so badly wanna rep the two together at the same time, I can't get enough of them being best friends.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Looking good!

Did not realise DK64, Diddy Kong Racing and GBC DKC sold that much.

There was some person ****posting on the main board claiming that it was a fact that no one knew who K.Rool was due to A. Not reaching him in the games and B. not being big in the 90s. Putting the actual games to the side, despite these stats, the cartoon and multiple pieces of merchandise being created for K.Rool at the time.

Hilarious how people still peddle this garbage in the face of real facts and it somewhat makes K.Rools inclusion all the more sweeter to be brutally honest.

Having him in the game standing alongside true all stars of gaming is amazing, but to actually be seemingly a viable and competitive character choice would just be the cherry on top of the cake.

Can't wait for the 7th!
Buying 10

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
I'm incredibly late, but I just want to say congratulations to the King and his supporters! I've been wanting either him or Dixie and I'm not disappointed.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm copying over the text of the letter I received from Nintendo this morning, responding to the thank-you letter so many of you signed a few months ago. Needless to say, this is extremely touching, and I don't think there could be a better culmination for the years of grassroots support that brought K. Rool back, from being an "irrelevant" has-been to a perfectly faithful mainstay standing shoulder to shoulder with the company's all-stars.

"Dear King K. Rool Fans:

Thank you very much for the thoughtful letter you sent us. Our sincere apologies for the delayed reply. We were flattered to receive it! We also love the fan art that came alongside the letter. It's clear that plenty of care and effort went into both. While Mr. Sakurai is unable to reply directly due to his busy schedule, rest assured that he shares your excitement and love for King K. Rool. He's hard at work making sure the Kremling king is ready to brawl when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches on December 7, 2018.

In your letter, you mentioned the thousands of King K. Rool fans who were ecstatic to hear about the character's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The sheer passion and love our fans have for our characters means the world to everyone here. We truly can't thank you enough for it. We're excited to show off just what King K. Rool is capable of as he dukes it out with all the other fantastic fighters that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has on its massive roster.

As a token of appreciation for all the support you've shown for Nintendo over the years, we've included some small gifts* with this letter that we hope helps make the wait for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just a little bit easier. Thank you again for everything you've done to help bring King K. Rool to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He's raring to battle, and we hope you are too!

Sincerely,

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
[Signature from Consumer Services Representative]"

* = the gifts were three nicely-designed bookmarks with artwork from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Fine work sir, that was extremely touching, fine work indeed.

Can't wait to see you on the battlefield!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ok, so one of the nice thing about 'I don't know how to jump' level of players is that they can give good insights into the moves they spam. In this case, we get two matches on how much Krown Toss has armor. Which is A LOT of it and not Belly. It looks like the armor frames kick in after he tosses the Krown, while he's in the delayed animation before he can move again.

Wait, the super armor kicks in during the endlag?!? That sounds like a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's super armor; immunity to knockback kicking in at just the right time can save you from getting killed. Sure, K. Rool can be punished for throwing his crown at an inopportune moment, but any move can be punished if the opponent can block or dodge it and launch their own attack during its endlag, and for the crown toss, that super armor provides a safety window to prevent that punish from putting K. Rool in a disadvantage state or outright ending his current stock. On the other hand, it's super armor during endlag (rather than during startup lag), meaning that K. Rool both doesn't get safety from the attack being interrupted and can't get to act early by being hit out of the endlag state. We’ll have to look at this more closely to see whether the super armor is more of a blessing or a curse here.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Can I just mention how much I love K. Rool's walk cycle? It's so casual and yet imposing.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how long his cracks take to recover?
Luckily, a very good match regarding the armor just came down the pipe line

We've seen that one crack takes 5 seconds or so to recover, and now we see two cracks take substantially longer. I suspect part of this is that the recovery does staggered healing. X amount of time to heal the first crack, then X amount of time to heal the second, then X amount of time to heal the last one

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Tbh by the time you have two cracks in your armour, you'll have the opponent at kill percentage and all you'll need to do is downgrab (bury) into side Smash to kill confirm.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So basically this forces you to be very thoughtful about how you approach.
Well, if there is one thing the king is good at, it's changing his game plan and adapting to the situation.

Untouch

Smash Master
K Rool is going to be god tier in doubles, grounding setups, giving teammates the crown, armour cracking being negated by teammate.

StormC

Smash Hero
Can I just mention how much I love K. Rool's walk cycle? It's so casual and yet imposing.
It's based on his walk from DK64 here:

Sakurai really went all in on DK64 references for K. Rool. Makes sense given that it's easily the game where he's the most visible.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
It's based on his walk from DK64 here:

Sakurai really went all in on DK64 references for K. Rool. Makes sense given that it's easily the game where he's the most visible.
His walk seems much more flamboyant in DK64 . I initially thought it was his DK: Jungle Climber walk, but that didn't have the closed fists, so I think it's just something Sakurai came up with on his own.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's kind of flamboyant in Smash Bros Ultimate, too. It almost looks like King K ROol thinks he's on a fashion runway at all times.

StormC

Smash Hero
His walk seems much more flamboyant in DK64 . I initially thought it was his DK: Jungle Climber walk, but that didn't have the closed fists, so I think it's just something Sakurai came up with on his own.
Considering he added K. Rool's hand flaps from using the helipack as his falling animation, I wouldn't doubt his eye for detail.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tbh by the time you have two cracks in your armour, you'll have the opponent at kill percentage and all you'll need to do is downgrab (bury) into side Smash to kill confirm.
And with the bury effect being weight independent and ignoring knockback resistance, K. Rool's offense probably won't be hindered too much against metal fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing that footage really emphasizes how huge K. Rool is, good lord.
So big he barely even fits on his amiibo stand, it's glorious.

Luckily, a very good match regarding the armor just came down the pipe line

We've seen that one crack takes 5 seconds or so to recover, and now we see two cracks take substantially longer. I suspect part of this is that the recovery does staggered healing. X amount of time to heal the first crack, then X amount of time to heal the second, then X amount of time to heal the last one
Expect no less from a reptile, compared to growing tails back, this is nothing.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm wondering if he armor works in a manner similar to Bowser's shell guard where ANY of Rool's attacks can have super armor, so long as the attack hits his belly before any other part of his body.

I say that because we saw Richter's whip bypass the armor at one point while KKR was attacking, likely because it hit part of him that wasn't his belly first.

This'll be interesting to work around: it's going to be VERY powerful in the right circumstances, but we're still going to need to be careful because we've basically got a 2nd shield that can be broken.

I wish there was an indicator about the armor on his character portrait so we could see when it recovers...

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering if he armor works in a manner similar to Bowser's shell guard where ANY of Rool's attacks can have super armor, so long as the attack hits his belly before any other part of his body.

I say that because we saw Richter's whip bypass the armor at one point while KKR was attacking, likely because it hit part of him that wasn't his belly first.

This'll be interesting to work around: it's going to be VERY powerful in the right circumstances, but we're still going to need to be careful because we've basically got a 2nd shield that can be broken.

I wish there was an indicator about the armor on his character portrait so we could see when it recovers...
Experienced K. Rool players will likely be able to tell by the degree of damage visible from the cracks.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Experienced K. Rool players will likely be able to tell by the degree of damage visible from the cracks.
I'm sure we will, but considering it's a side profile most of the time, it may be tricky in the heat of a match, especially doubles when the camera will be further out.

StormC

Smash Hero

Someone made a video showing all of K. Rool's moves. And Simon Belmont's, if you're into that.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Part of me really likes the amount of DK64 detail he has. It may be a pretty broken and clunky game by today's standards, but it's definitely the one I carry some of the best memories with personally. It is actually the game I thought Sakurai would reference the least if the king were to appear in the game, and yet it's referenced just as much as the other games; if not a bit more than the others.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I think the reference I'm surprised most by is his belly flop from Donkey Kong Land. It's present in his up-smash and one of his victory animations. I would never have thought those games would be acknowledged in any sort of fashion, but here we are.

StormC

Smash Hero
Part of me really likes the amount of DK64 detail he has. It may be a pretty broken and clunky game by today's standards, but it's definitely the one I carry some of the best memories with personally. It is actually the game I thought Sakurai would reference the least if the king were to appear in the game, and yet it's referenced just as much as the other games; if not a bit more than the others.
Considering Diddy has his Peanut Popgun and Rocketbarrel Boost, the DK64 references make a lot of sense. And again, it's the game that puts K. Rool in the spotlight far more than any of the other Rare games; he has a couple of minor cutscenes in DKC2, 3, and even Land III, but nothing like in 64. After Squawks, he's literally the first character you meet in the opening cinematic.

I'm not the biggest fan of DK64 these days, but I agree that I have fond memories of it and K. Rool's portrayal is a highlight for me... mostly.

Never liked how K. Rool just turned into a complete joke during the final boss battle, but the boxing gloves are still welcome on his moveset.

I think the reference I'm surprised most by is his belly flop from Donkey Kong Land. It's present in his up-smash and one of his victory animations. I would never have thought those games would be acknowledged in any sort of fashion, but here we are.
The Expresso trophy in Smash 4 references Donkey Kong Land, so it wouldn't be the first. But K. Rool's recovery/falling animation is the first deliberate nod to DKC3 after five Smash games.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Considering Diddy has his Peanut Popgun and Rocketbarrel Boost, the DK64 references make a lot of sense. And again, it's the game that puts K. Rool in the spotlight far more than any of the other Rare games; he has a couple of minor cutscenes in DKC2, 3, and even Land III, but nothing like in 64. After Squawks, he's literally the first character you meet in the opening cinematic.

I'm not the biggest fan of DK64 these days, but I agree that I have fond memories of it and K. Rool's portrayal is a highlight for me... mostly.

Never liked how K. Rool just turned into a complete joke during the final boss battle, but the boxing gloves are still welcome on his moveset.

The Expresso trophy in Smash 4 references Donkey Kong Land, so it wouldn't be the first. But K. Rool's recovery/falling animation is the first deliberate nod to DKC3 after five Smash games.
Ah, you're right, I completely forgot about that.

Top Bottom