• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Guys are we having a celebration tourney?
I’m down, it would be a ton of fun to celebrate King K. Rool’s return with everyone! I’m also down to play friendlies with whoever wants to, December 7th can not get here any faster.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Here's a better look at King K. Rool's alt colors, special thanks to Smash Bros Spain for the original video I made this image from:

View attachment 175318
I think I'll be repping 1, 3, 6, and 8. The black and white are pretty inoffensive to me and the brass belly on 3 looks pretty slick imo.

At the end of the day though I didn't wait all these years for my boy just to ignore his classic green. And if C C-G is correct, K. Rool easily has one of the most robust and nasty movesets of any newcomer we've seen. Such an embarrassment of riches. He even has a passive (his belly mechanics) which automatically says they aimed for him to be rewarding to main and understand.

Thundross

Smash Rookie
K. Rool can be seen throwing down with Incineroar in the classic mode mural art! Pretty great to see him interacting with other Nintendo characters.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar putting all his focus on taking out K Rool. Meanwhile, K Rool given the camera a 'this guy righter here *shakes head*' look. Truly we know the winner of this tussle

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The Direct had me not see any hopes on playable Dixie anymore, so I'll be hopping fully on K.Rool's joyride indefinitely. Still looks immensely amazing in action to me, so there's one fun heavy character to play as now.

Last edited:

Thundross

Smash Rookie
Incineroar putting all his focus on taking out K Rool. Meanwhile, K Rool given the camera a 'this guy righter here *shakes head*' look. Truly we know the winner of this tussle
Looks more like he's focused on the little creature next to them.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
This is something I was kinda wondering about and now we can see it thanks to Incineroar's final smash, K. Rool's got those bony plates on his back just like a real crocodile. Pretty neat.
k rool back.png

Kulty

Smash Ace
The Direct had me not see any hopes on playable Dixie anymore, so I'll be hopping fully on K.Rool's joyride indefinitely. Still looks immensely amazing in action to me, so there's one fun heavy character to play as now.

I don't think Dixie being a spirit immediately deconfirms her. I wanted her along with Rayman, and the latter did not show up, but Rabbid Peach did as a spirit, which is a good sign for him. :)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is something I was kinda wondering about and now we can see it thanks to Incineroar's final smash, K. Rool's got those bony plates on his back just like a real crocodile. Pretty neat.
View attachment 175450
Lol his stubby tail makes me laugh.

I’m loving every second of K. Rool I’m seeing. It’s more beautiful than I could have imagined.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I actually brought the possibility of this up a few months ago, but I won't lie, I'm not a huge fan of that.
It is a bit weird to see anatomically correct details on an anthropomorphic, obese caricature of a real animal, yeah. DK's new nose in Tropical Freeze on Switch bugs me for the same reason. Still, I think the plates look at least marginally better than a huge flat plane of the scales he has everywhere else would look.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
It's ya boi TropicalBreeze here with the croc facts. Those are called osteoderms. Essentially, big scales (scutes) reinforced with hunks of bone. Most crocodilians only have them on their backs, necks, and tails, but smaller species like the African dwarf crocodile have them on their underbellies, too.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Oh, one more thing while we're still in post-Direct mode, I know BKupa666 BKupa666 you often compared K. Rool to the likes of Wart and Tatanga, and how K. Rool escaped the threat of joining them as forgotten villains.

As I'm sure some of you noticed, both Wart and Tatanga were shown as Spirits in the Direct (the Wart one was even equipped by a K. Rool player). Definitely serves as a strong reminder of how far K. Rool has come in comparison, and that our Ballot votes and campaigning prevented the King from sharing a similar fate.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Been watching K. Rool vids and hot dang! He has potential to be one of the best heavies in the game. I hope it's compensation for asking him for so long. He seems to have both speed and weight to him!

StormC

Smash Hero
Every piece of K. Rool footage reminds me that I need to play as him yesterday.

Also, seeing some of the reactions to this last direct - not the people who are respectful but still genuinely disappointed - is a good reminder that any large fanbase has a propensity for people to act overly outraged, not just "toxic K. Rool fans" who were upset about the results of DLC last time.

Hoo boy, I don't even want to think about how I'd feel right now without him in.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is beautiful.

I remember when I joined back in the Sm4sh days - I really didn't have any major wanted characters (save possibly Midna). It was the Ridley and K.Rool threads here that really brought me to their sides, even though I'd never played a Metroid or DK game. I was really bummed that neither made it into Smash playable then.

But it did inspire me to dust off the N64 and get though DK64 for the first time.

I was so hyped to see Ridley, and I thought nothing could top "Everyone is here." K.Rool was never my number one request. But then the direct happened and he just showed up, unleaked. It was beyond incredible.

Seeing him in Smash now, he looks perfect. I'm at the point that he's the newcomer I'm most excited for, and each set of footage makes it look better and better.

Thanks once again for being the most awesome gang here!

D

Deleted member

He truly is incredible handled Ken well.

Man King K. Rool is rocking.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You guys think he has the Paon belly and it gets exposed when the armor breaks?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

Good LORD

:ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool:
This footage is the best I’ve seen of the big guy in action. Oof, he looks so amazing! So expressive! So fun!!

I don’t know if it was already confirmed elsewhere, but it looks like you can fire the blunderbuss without the suck animation, which is good to see.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, one more thing while we're still in post-Direct mode, I know BKupa666 BKupa666 you often compared K. Rool to the likes of Wart and Tatanga, and how K. Rool escaped the threat of joining them as forgotten villains.

As I'm sure some of you noticed, both Wart and Tatanga were shown as Spirits in the Direct (the Wart one was even equipped by a K. Rool player). Definitely serves as a strong reminder of how far K. Rool has come in comparison, and that our Ballot votes and campaigning prevented the King from sharing a similar fate.
If there were no ballot, or if K. Rool fans went less above and beyond during the voting, then he, Wart and Tatanga would all be relegated to spirits for Bowser.

Thankfully, we don't live in that darkest timeline.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Not the day of. Ain't nobody gonna be able to open up their copy and play K Rool out of the box
Which has me thinking. How long is the Adventure mode gonna be and I just pray to god it's fun and isn't super long like subspace. I dread the thought of K.Rool being one of the last characters you unlock.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Man, every time I see the King he looks better and better! I'm also incredibly grateful that we have him represented so close to what many of us dreamed of I'm sure. He utilizes everything I ever imagined and more in his kit, and the details such as the Baron K. Roolenstein and various DK64 references are icing on the cake. The amount of attention that K. Rool got is a prime example that we're not living in the dark timeline everyone makes it out to be.

I don't agree with everything Sakurai does, but look no further than the King and you'll see that he puts his soul into things that he does decide to commit to.

Seeing the massacre that occurred in the last Direct makes it a special time to be thankful as a K. Rool/Ridley fan right now, that's for sure.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You guys think he has the Paon belly and it gets exposed when the armor breaks?
This is what I've been wondering!

Which btw! Good on Sakurai for sticking to the lore that much and really hilighting that his belly armor is actually armor. He must have been paying attention because I remember when that was confirmed on Twitter... not even officially stated in the games... man. I can not complain about K. Rool at all the more I see the more I love.. I can't wait to play him.

Can't wait to see his big return to his home series... I still see people doubting him coming back to the DK series.

D

Deleted member

He is amazing.

Truly looking better and better.

King K. Rool will be a blast no doubt.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
The fact we have a heavy weight with an amazing recovery probably means that K Rool has to be higher than mid tier. He is honestly looking like the best heavy weight in the game. He has a ton of projectiles which heavys struggle with. I'm so glad he isn't low tier :)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It really does seem like we dodged a bullet. I was skeptical before, but now it seems quite likely that K. Rool really did "win" the ballot, doesn't it? Even if we consider that Ridley, Isabelle, and Simon might have been ballot picks as well, we still ended up with a very select group of newcomers. K. Rool easily could've been edged out by someone more "realizable" or "relevant", but the fact that he got in as the only non-echo newcomer explicitly stated to be tied to the ballot lends credence to the idea that he really was among the very top-requested characters. Even Dixie is MIA and she could've very easily taken his place as a much more easily implemented DK newcomer. We got super lucky that Sakurai decided to throw us a bone. I can't overstate how grateful I am to the guy for finally including K. Rool, and for doing him so much justice at that. Seriously, his entire portrayal is so spot-on and it's so much better than I would have expected.

His alts aren't too shabby either. Think I would've preferred if they played around more with his cape's coloring, but none of them look bad, which is more than I can say for most characters (I don't like a lot of the alts in Smash 4 and Ultimate). I usually use the default colors for most characters, and I think I'll do the same with K. Rool, but I'm totally gonna set my amiibo to that brown one. Chocodile looks pretty nice with that green cape.

Also, anyone else kinda bummed that they cut Jungle Hijinxs? It would've been so cathartic to see K. Rool in a stage based on one of the Retro games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool is definitely the ballot winner. It's painfully obvious, and it's the one thing about Ultimate that really convinces me to buy it. Well, despite already having bought a Switch just for the game and Tropical Freeze Switch lol... But yeah. K.Rool is the ballot winner, and am happy about it.

Still, am sort of skeptical if Nintendo is even gonna let a next Donkey Kong game feature King K.Rool honestly. Smash's influence is kind of overrated. Look what influence Smash has on other first party titles for example. Rosalina hasn't appeared in Mario games since her being a newcomer in Smash 4, Sheik and Ganondorf are 4 times veterans and their most recent title is Hyrule Warriors, they haven't appeared in recent Zelda games outside of remakes. Mario has had F.L.U.D.D. since Brawl, but no Sunshine remake. Star Fox characters are popular in Smash, but the franchise won't do anything but StarFox 64 remakes... MOTHER 3 won't be translated ever, Daisy won't be in mainline Mario games, Fire Emblem 6 won't get a remake before 10 years or so, Final Fantasy 7 remake won't be on Switch, Metroid Prime 4 will most likely NOT have Dark Samus... Do I need to continue?

I think we must be extra thankful for King K.Rool being here because of this. Cause it might frankly be all we're gonna get.

On a more positive side, King K.Rool seems to have a real solid moveset and I could see him potentially being somewhat of a High Tier character.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
We truly have been blessed, fellow cutthroats! Not only is our King in the game as the presumed ballot winner,

but he actually looks good! The dust has settled and the King stands strong with a flexible moveset that is going to take a lot of time to fully master, I believe.

It'll be a fun ride!

Top Bottom