• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
K. Rool looks so fun. I thought I would be using the backbreaker throw more, but the piledriver looks so good too. Can't wait to tech chase people out of it with the crown and blunderbuss.

I was disappointed that they didn't show his armor getting broken. Does he have the Paon stomach underneath? Would be a wicked detail.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
K Rool looks fun in casual, but I’m not too sure how he’ll do competitively. He was just sooo slow in the treehouse today. I hope his super armor gimmick pulls through or he has some early kill confirm, because he needs a boost.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So taking what we learned today:

So it looks like he gets super armor on Usmash, Dsmash, Nair, and Dash attack. Of these, Nair is the most important, as Nair hits at a stupid good angle both for being aggressive and being defensive. All three of the others look to be real hard commitment moves. Usmash seems really, REALLY fast for actual Anti-Air capabilities. Otherwise, it's hard read territory on the ground. Dsmash is a bit harder to tell. Unlike similar jump and slam moves, I think this one will completely dominate any low hitting normal, but anything hitting it head on, I'm skeptical of.

I think Bair hits harder than Ganon fair. It killed Diddy at 60% near the ledge with bad DI. with how good of an angle it is that could get mad oppressive, especially since his recovery is shown to be so potent at distance and safety.

Ftilt's a nice low commit option, and Dtilt's range is pretty good even without the sweetspot, though the sour spot lacks the punch it may need. Might be a good poke due to disjoint, which the dude needs, but it being ground based may put a damper on that. Utilt looks mad good for an anti-air option. Lotta range, covers his entire front, quick startup.

Blunderbuss being piece meal means that dude has a hard hitting projectile that he can turn into a grab if someone runs up shields it. It should do good winning projectile wars if the cannonball is durable enough. Even if it isn't, reflectors.

As it stands, based on how he looks in his matches, K Rool will suffer the most from being out neutraled. His limbs are good and can keep up with the likes or Marth in a head to head fight, so that's not the issue. The big problem is that they lag. K Rool needs to either have a trap out to make them safe-ish, so shield becomes a problem. If shield becomes a problem, the solution of grab becomes more important. And if grabs are a big concern and you can't confidently press a button, being forced to approach can really sour your milk. Vs projectiles I think he fares better. Nair can go through most Flash Kicks the opponent may prep when they throw their Sonic Booms, and the Cannonball/Blunderbuss Combo should be able to deal with a projectile war just fine.

Unlike literally every other heavy K Rool can do fine if he's getting mauled. He has more than enough tools in any situation to get out oppression or punish them (would you want to approach a super-heavyweight who can BURY YOU FROM A GRAB!?) through grabs, counters, Krowns and armor.

Here's a video of K Rool in a 4 man match. It shows him sucking up and reverse firing a fighter with the Blunderbuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoXwdIfhKo

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
4:46
Down Throw has I-Frames...?
Is that something with all throws, it should be good against Rosalina or Ice Climbers then.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
After everything that has happened I feel we should feel even more grateful that K. Rool managed to make it in. not as many fan favorites had as big of a chance as I thought. but anyway that new K. Rool gameplay though?!

I like the mechanic with the super armor belly. sure we can't abuse it too much. but it seems to heal fast. and in exchange for that weakness sounds like we are getting a whole lot of super armored moves!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
K. Rool's new gameplay today almost made it feel like he was revealed all over again. Very happy and thankful he got in. For the fans that rallied and for Sakurai and his team that made it happen. I love how he moves!

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
It's been a busy and long day, so haven't had a chance to talk about the Direct or our King. After that Direct, I am so grateful he got in.

The Direct was honestly really mediocre. The pacing in general was off. Part of that was the Grinch leak raised expectations, but even if the Grinch hadn't come along and stolen the hype, I think it'd still be disappointing. They spent a while talking about Spirits, and honestly I'm not 100% convinced on that game mode. Trophies cut too, which is a big deal for me (understandable, but I'll still miss collecting them). I like the new Assist Trophies in general, but I really sympathize with the Issac, Shadow, and Skull Kid fans. I can imagine that section was brutal for them, just like how we were on edge in the August Direct Assist Trophy section. The time spent on settings like Help and Brightness was not good pacing wise, and Piranha Plant, while a crazy surprise, I am not sure about. The final trailer for World of Light was awesome, and seeing K. Rool standing in the background along with Mario, Link, and other all-stars was wonderful.

Basically my feelings on the Direct have heightened my appreciation for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and the few other fan favorites that got in. We dodged a bullet other fan-bases are going through, and I couldn't be happier and more thankful for K. Rool's inclusion.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Reusing past artworks requires less effort than making new trophy models, so I can see why trophies got the boot this time.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
4:46
Down Throw has I-Frames...?
Is that something with all throws, it should be good against Rosalina or Ice Climbers then.
Lots of throws have armor. However, Nana/Luma can only act when their partner can, so it doesn't matter. It's very important with more than 2 players, though

Steelia

Smash Champion
Here's a video of K Rool in a 4 man match. It shows him sucking up and reverse firing a fighter with the Blunderbuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoXwdIfhKo
Surprisingly, K. Rool's no sore loser, look at him just clapping away at the end. It truly feels like K. Rool himself realizes how long he's been out of commission, and is just extremely grateful to be back in the limelight again, DK or no DK.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Surprisingly, K. Rool's no sore loser, look at him just clapping away at the end. It truly feels like K. Rool himself realizes how long he's been out of commission, and is just extremely grateful to be back in the limelight again, DK or no DK.
Not even a grouch like K. Rool can be mad at this face.
protect.png

D

Deleted member

Even the crazed croc has a soft spot barely but it's there.

I was staring wide eyed and goofy at his gameplay this Kremling king really makes me more and more fond of him.

I truly am going to main him always. But also really glad he's in.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm finally getting to watch the Treehouse footage of K. Rool, and I'm only 1:30 minutes in and everything I've seen is amazing. Can't wait to play as him come December 7th.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Really hoping one of the events that will have the 74 character build will be in NYC. I want to try the king so bad. I had the chance to try Ridley, I want to give K. Rool a go as well.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I only got around to watch the direct tonight and it was damn brutal. Seeing Isaac and Shadow as ATs again is disappointing to the max. I do have to say that I started getting hyped up every time I saw K. Rool in the direct. I wanted to see K. Rool take on Incineroar in glorious CG footage. Then seeing him near the front next to Mario and Link, it's about damn time. After 10 years, it feels great.

Then I also have to talk about his moveset and my god it looks incredible!! They perfectly captured the essence of his character. His throws, specials, everything is absolutely perfect. This direct makes me ever so thankful that K. Rool got into this game. I am so hyped to get the game for lots of K. Rool glory.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Just got a chance to watch these.

So how will our boi not be at least mildly overpowered...?

Dthrow being a guaranteed kill followup seems mighty strong (and the irony that his dthrow buries but Bowser's doesn't...).

I'm trying to think of a reason to at least sorta still play Bowser but I'm pretty much out of reasons at this point...

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
My username says it all, but as far as someone I want that no one really talks up, I gonna have to go with my boy Petey Piranha. Ever since Sunshine and Double Dash I can't help but love the guy.

View attachment 155083

There's a few others I thought of that also feel obscure:

Meowth (Team Rocket)
Doctor Eggman
Birdo

I just realized, everyone I want is a villain or enemy.
Whudda thunk my boy would finally make it along with K. Rool :denzel:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Well, we've basically been vindicated in claiming K. Rool won the Smash ballot, so that's nice. Spirits looks fun even if it isn't a story mode, Ken and Incineroar look great, we have 5 DLC packs to look forward to, and the more we see of K. Rool, the better he looks. This is even more of a day 1 buy for me than it was before.

I'll admit Piranha Plant looks really cool and fun to play as. But the fact that Sakurai decided to develop him as a fighter instead of characters like Isaac, or even Shadow as an echo is insulting to their fans who campaigned hard like we did. I know that if it was K. Rool in that position, I'd be livid. Because of that, I'm honestly finding it a bit difficult to enjoy what we do have at the time being.

Incineroar looks like fun to play, his personality shines through in his moveset and playstyle, looking forward to trying him out.

Ken is cool too, always used him when playing Street Fighter Turbo back in the day. Congrats to those fans.

Loved Guile as an AT and Yoshi's final smash, some unexpected highlights. Great call back to Melee there.

Spirits mode was looking gimmicky and empty till the montage at the end which showed the correlation with this Adventure mode, genuinely interested to see/hear more about it now. Shame about some of the popular and more seemingly suitable fighters showcased like they were and we genuinely don't know if that rules them out for DLC or not, but thems the breaks.

Seeing K.Rool more just increases the anticipation to release, genuinely looks like a blast to play. Can't wait. Its a testament to the work of Sakurai and his team to just absolutely nail what K.Rool, the character, is all about.

Piranha Plant looks hilarious, but meh a pretty underwhelming direct for most parts. I guess the leak and expectations that came with it had a part to play in that.

So looking like some of those perceived "insiders" aren't as much chop as many thought.

It is what it is, still have some characters like Rayman, Banjo and co. who look to still be in the running so we wait and see for DLC and more information....

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
After the initial disappointment subsided, all three characters revealed actually look really fun. Ken looks like a more fun Ryu, I was very pleasantly surprised by how fun Incineroar's moveset looked, and Piranha Plant looks like a blast to play.

In regards to K. Rool, I'm going to echo most people's sentiments here. We were incredibly lucky to get K. Rool when we did. Today's Direct was a massacre for fans of Isaac, Shadow, and more. Getting K. Rool almost three months ago (has it been that long already?) let us rest a little easier and we had him to fall back on if future reveals disappointed.

Considering everything that's happened, I do not have a shred of doubt in my mind that K. Rool did indeed win the ballot. Maybe a veteran like Snake or Wolf had more votes, but out of newcomers, K. Rool was the clear favorite. Ridley was a boss at that point and no one expected Simon, and the other three unique newcomers were added due to relevancy. Suck it, Bayo. Glad to see it all paid off, and after watching the gameplay footage of him at the Treehouse he looks like everything I imagined him to be and more.

And the propeller has a hitbox! Praise Sakurai, that fact alone is more hype than some of the characters announced.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant feels more like a bonus than anything else to me. Get the crew together, play a few games with him, then go right back to K. Rool.

Incineroar on the other hand looks like a blast. Definitely a character I can see myself playing.

Some Gangplank Galleon remixes/mash ups for y'all:

DKC/Ultimate Gangplank Galleon mash up:

Bit messy in parts but climaxes at around the minute mark.

These are both really well done.

Interior crocodile alligator!

A more traditional cover.

Original tune restored to HD, sounds amazing. Hello new ring tone!

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
The only move we have yet to be shown is K Rool's Forward throw at this point.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Two things I gleaned from this footage.

1) K Rool's Forward throw is a forward slam into the ground, similar to he bury, except they bounce off it. It looks really useless since it sends them minimally far away in a 'too long for a combo, too short for a kill' kind of way. The enemy ZSS was at the edge of Frigate Orpheon and barely went anywhere. It might make for a low % combo throw at best.

2)K Rool's Up Air is murder. It killed a Meta Knight who as on Pokemon Stadium at 82% and was positioned at a comparably height to Battlefield's top platform

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
First thing I noticed in all that footage is another new K. Rool costume, hah.
There's a handful of yellow Kremlings but the closest match I can think of is Kutlass, thanks to the black cape.
yellow krool.png

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Two things I gleaned from this footage.

1) K Rool's Forward throw is a forward slam into the ground, similar to he bury, except they bounce off it. It looks really useless since it sends them minimally far away in a 'too long for a combo, too short for a kill' kind of way. The enemy ZSS was at the edge of Frigate Orpheon and barely went anywhere. It might make for a low % combo throw at best.

2)K Rool's Up Air is murder. It killed a Meta Knight who as on Pokemon Stadium at 82% and was positioned at a comparably height to Battlefield's top platform
Which footage do you mean, here? The Treehouse?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Fair auto cancels if used early. Dair also has a lingering hitbox that light-spikes

Last edited:
Top Bottom