• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know if anyone else missed this, but I sure did.

Crocodile Cacophony HD came out days before K Rool's announcement.

Edit: Oh man, I was watching the battle with K Rool in DKC2 and I remember his pattern from all those years ago. I was predicting what to do. The person survived it, but the way they did it was weird and kinda bugged me while watching it.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor It goes a little deeper as I was still on the edge with Smash and was awaiting the Assist Trophies lineup. The moment I saw Klaptrap, I took a massive WHEW and chortled at Shovel Knight. Mean-spirited, but hey. When Sakurai 'ended' the stream, I wonder what the hell was going on and if it was on my end, but that thumping happened again. I didn't make the connection nor did I want to, I just wanted to see what was next. Comes the montage of heroes and 'rivals' and I didn't make the connection still. Something turns off the showcase, cue DK yawning.

I was frozen with fear and anticipation.

No he didn't. No he didn't.

As the trailer went on, I saw the silhouette and grew giddier until Dedede popped out with that costume and said loud and clear, "You ****ing troll. He really did it." The moment the real thing popped up and that splash hit the screen, I hollered and shouted so loud while cheering and laughing. I have NEVER done that for a video game in all my life. Not even Breath of the Wild's reveal got me that excited and I anticipated that as much as K. Rool's return. Everything about that trailer was perfect to a T, a nice timeline of the complaints with DK's representation with Smash, the overall bundle of rivals and bad guys from other series and the controversy with the costume, the ballot and the end results with Sakurai himself getting one last jab in before being promptly put in his place.

I gotta go to bed but I'm going to watch that trailer again and again and again. I'll never get tired of it. Someone else mentioned it, but K. Rool's trailer had more views than Simon's and it reminded me that a Nintendo character can still generate hype over the guest characters, and by far he's the most watched trailer of all time. This again is telling me how much people like the big lug and just how crucial this ballot was in bringing him back. That trademark around the time of the costume's reveal had to have been in ties with our votes. They knew it was gonna get crazy when Bayonetta was going to be considered the winner and more people got vocal about it. But man. It's funny how much has changed since then and leading up to Wednesday.

And a shoutout to Diem Diem , I wanted more from Metroid, too. Ridley and Dark Samus seemed interesting and look what happened. Especially the Ridley fans. Four years of being tightknit and we both got the last laugh. I'm maining Rool AND Ridley together. The doubles matches are gonna be fun with those two.

I say it again: We did it.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
What made the reveal even sweeter was just the night before the direct, pessimism was pretty high after Vergeben said one of his sources claimed no new DK characters. Of course, he claimed he didn't believed it, but the damage was done, and several posters were now just ready to wait for DLC. What made it worse was the leak galaga medleys for Bloody Tears and Monster Dance, which many assumed spoiled the main surprise of the direct which was confirming Simon. There were even some who planned to not even watch it because of this.

D

Deleted member

Anyone notice that K. Rool's crown enlarges when he throws it?

Also, reminder that Ridley and K. Rool are in the game, and you are not dreaming.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It has been 5 years since I made this silly little image.

Figures that now the kroc himself has returned, I'd revisit that concept again.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I'm a bit late here but I just wanted to speak my mind about it and i'm sure it's been said a million times before but... Holy **** we did it.

K. Rool was my most wanted character for many years now and while it is starting to sink in it's still extremely surreal to see it. We did it Kutthroats, and I truly believe it's only a matter of time before he is back to his home series. This game cannot come soon enough. It's the most hyped I've been for anything since Smash 4 and since I know that this game won't be a collossal disappointment I'm even more incredibly hyped.

Also i think my favourite part of the move-set is his dash attack with that Donkey Kong Land reference. That's INSANE. I never thought anything from DKL would ever be referenced in smash. (Now can we get a kremlantis remix please)

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
It's been a few days since K. Rool has been announced and I'm still stoked for his arrival as a playable fighter! You know, it's the period after which a character has been revealed when you still have to get used to the idea of this character definitely being in the new Smash game. I've felt this period for Cloud and Ridley, but it was mostly because these characters took me by surprise as I thought they were not realistic choices for playable characters at that time. For K. Rool though I was actually hopeful and this new period during which I must get used to his presence is because I wanted him to become playable, and it makes me realize that I wanted him more than I realized prior to his confirmation. I mean, after Corrin's reveal in Smash 4 DLC (who was pretty much the representation of everything I didn't want from a DLC character at the time, although I'm okay with them now) I started to think it's better to be more open minded about new ideas and to not invest myself too emotionally in a video game, so my want for K. Rool while still significant faded a bit, especially since I thought it would feel more right to have him back in his home series first.

Now that he's in I feel like the later reason to temperate my want for K. Rool in Smash was wrong. His appearance is awesome and if we know the track record of the Smash series influencing later Nintendo titles (like the surge of popularity of the Fire Emblem series or Bowser Jr. now being more linked to the Clown Car than before) then there's no reason why it won't have any influence about K. Rool's future, and the fact we got in back in Smash first actually doesn't feel wrong at all. With how many likes and views his trailer got I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't stop doing anything with him anymore outside of Smash.

For his satisfaction ratings in RTC I cut two points from the perfect score (giving him 98%) because I thought getting yet another character with a counter was a bit lame, but now that I think about it it makes sense. K. Rool is portrayed as a character themed about subversion, inspired from the fake kredits at the end of DKC1, and it shows in Smash in his reveal trailer with Dedede's trolling and the section where he plays dead then stomps the Kongs, not to mention it looks like playing dead is his regular crouch. Thinking about that I feel better with K. Rool's down special since a counter is obviously a subversion move, although I still would have liked the Kannonball Fall instead. Hopefully it'll be present somewhere else like as an unconventional down smash.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It has been 5 years since I made this silly little image.

Figures that now the kroc himself has returned, I'd revisit that concept again.

This reminds me, it hasn't been confirmed yet whether the blunderbuss or crown throw is K. Rool's neutral special. If it's the blunderbuss, is Kirby going to wear a pirate hat when using it?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
How cool is this? New Donk City was the place where K. Rool's boss fight took place in in D.K Land so this will be the second time he visits the place.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huh, I never thought about that. On one hand, K. Rool literally pistol whipping his kidnapping victim seems hardcore. On the other hand, the intensity of that could potentially be considered lessened when you consider he was pistol whipping the same guy who survived an explosion from a barrel of TNT thrown at him by his own grandpa. Alternatively, one could also argue that just makes Cranky more abusive than K. Rool.
The way I see it, you can consider him the Adam West Joker to Ridley's Nolan Joker in that sense; one can potentially kill yet is mostly comical, while the other is a little bit comical but very dangerous.

With K. Rool in, now I feel selfish wanting anything else for Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I know that feeling. However, I have a gut feeling that a certain Wah brand might get service soon as well, but we'll see what happens.

BKupa666 BKupa666 I think YOU should be written a thank you letter as well.

I reckon I speak for many when I say that this Kutthroats thread was the sole reason I made a Smashboards account and joined the Smash speculation period and supported the King here.

DKC has always been my favourite video game franchise, I grew up with it and within the golden era of SNES, N64 and PS1. Its been great to engage with others who have similar feelings, sharing love and passion for the same universe and characters as I do. Which has all eventually amalgamated into this massive force of momentum for an amazing and memorable character which has resulted in the ultimate prize.

Despite the momentum and acknowledgement, we've had to be defensive at times and I always appreciated your astute thoughts on certain green and scaly matters, plus not being afraid to back us or K. Rool up amongst the hordes of misinformation, exaggeration, high horse mods and just plain haters.

I loved seeing updates on Dudery's art pieces which kept things ticking along, progress on Bellboy's tribute poster and Tortilla's detailed theories on the development of the game and overall speculation. Just to name a few.

The gist of this is that this platform has brought together so many like minded people for a common goal and through sheer determination and passion has had a hand in saving this krafty kroc King from the gaming graveyard. Thank you all and for that I am forever grateful.

As some say in Australia, you bloody beauty, cheers mate!

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How cool is this? New Donk City was the place where K. Rool's boss fight took place in in D.K Land so this will be the second time he visits the place.
Only if there was a blimp to fight K. Rool in like in Donkey Kong Land. Heh heh!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For the direct, I didn't have the slightest clue what was coming. I knew the shaking camera at the end of the direct meant another character reveal (besides, I watched late and noticed we still had a few minutes left), but I couldn't have guessed who.

Like Aeon Lupin Aeon Lupin said, Vergeben's "No DK" hit the night before. I didn't believe it - I don't tend to believe many leaks in general, but Sm4sh taught me that the most disappointing ones tend to be true - so I was nrevous. Mainly, I thought that Simon would be the capstone reveal, so I wasn't expecting him first.

But as soon as they started showing the Mario vs. Bowser and Link vs Ganondorf images, I knew who was coming. I was at work, so I couldn't have a total freakout, but I was excited. And then we saw DK's mouth, and I was pumped.

And then Dedede came out and I had the same face as the Kongs.

What a great trailer in every way.

Untouch

Smash Master
I felt that the "no DK" thing was BS as nintendo was really pushing DK around that time as TF was releasing. K Rool was still a bit of a tossup, but I felt that if he wasn't getting in there was very little chance Dixie wasn't.

StormC

Smash Hero
What made the reveal even sweeter was just the night before the direct, pessimism was pretty high after Vergeben said one of his sources claimed no new DK characters. Of course, he claimed he didn't believed it, but the damage was done, and several posters were now just ready to wait for DLC. What made it worse was the leak galaga medleys for Bloody Tears and Monster Dance, which many assumed spoiled the main surprise of the direct which was confirming Simon. There were even some who planned to not even watch it because of this.
What didn't help is "no new DK characters" spread like wildfire on other sites and already being taken like gospel. Even with the Klaptrap in to give us hope, people could shut us down with "Kritters were in Smash Run! It means nothing!" Thank Christ K. Rool got revealed immediately or else we could be spending months fending off people just looking to tear us down.

After Ridley got confirmed, K. Rool got the brunt of character bashing in the Smash community. Now look where we are. All because we voted.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, does anyone else plan to celebrate K. Rool's inclusion by playing the original three Donkey Kong Country games and maybe Donkey Kong 64? I know I am.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Say, does anyone else plan to celebrate K. Rool's inclusion by playing the original three Donkey Kong Country games and maybe Donkey Kong 64? I know I am.
I need roms first, and emuparadise is dead. But yes, I was.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've still got all the games on Wii U but I'd have to reinstall it. But replaying all the games before launch isn't a bad idea.

StormC

Smash Hero
I had already replayed DKC1 and DKC2 in the last couple of months and said I would replay DKC3 if the King was in.

Tempted to replay DK64 too despite my mixed feelings on the game overall.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Me too. Already played through DKC 1-3 earlier this year but i think this situation demands seconds :D maybe DK64 too if my brother gives back my wii u

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
A few days after the reveal and I still find myself going through youtube, watching reacts and just watching the reveal trailer in general. It still feels like a fever dream, knowing that when December 12 comes by that I will be going crazy on unlocking characters just to get K.Rool. I hope he isint as low tier as Dedede who has always been the character i've mained.

But you know now that the dust has settled, and we are no longer in that limbo stage of wondering if we will be disappointed or not again, I cant help but wonder if this was a blessing or a curse for K.Rool to come this late into the series. Lets not kid ourselves, he should of been in by Brawl, and its great that Sakurai is finally putting in highly requested characters, but move sets have become much more creative because of the power the switch has.

I can't help but think of Ganondorf fans, who have to suffer from the fact that he is still mostly a Captain Falcon clone, or how it too until Smash 4 for Bowser to run normally instead of do that weird vibrating bus thing he did in Melee and Brawl. Because he is trying so hard to give the fans what they want, I feel characters like Ridley and K.Rool are receiving a huge amount of polish, and it really makes you wonder what might of happened had he been introduced in Brawl. Prehapes in visual and technical terms, the long awaited return of the King was a good thing?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I realized I hadn't checked in here since the Direct (in my defense I was busy celebrating over Chrom :p), but still. I would offer my Kongratulations, but it has the word "Kong" in it, so saying it in a K. Rool thread may be a bit kontroversial. ;)

Seriously though, I'm so happy for you guys that he's in. Especially you, BKupa666 BKupa666 . Seeing him in action really rekindled my love for him as well; he looks better than I could have ever imagined. That up throw!

Also this is a weird thing to be excited about, I suppose, but his tag line was great. I've been thinking it'd be "King K. Rool Sets Sail!" but "King K. Rool Comes Aboard!" is SOOOOO much better. It implies force, like, ready or not, here he is, invading your ship with his Kremling Krew and stealing your potassium. And that's wonderful.

And hey, maybe Smash will be the final push needed to bring Rool back to the DK games. It could happen. Bowser Jr.'s solely been in the Clown Car ever since Smash, after all.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Who is King K. Rool?
King K Rool is the primary antagonist of Donkey Kong, from 1993-2008.

I'd recommend having a look at his boss battles from Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3, as well as Donkey Kong 64, to get the best feeling of the classic games from which most of his moveset is derived.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
King K Rool is the primary antagonist of Donkey Kong, from 1993-2008.

I'd recommend having a look at his boss battles from Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3, as well as Donkey Kong 64, to get the best feeling of the classic games from which most of his moveset is derived.
i think he was trolling when you answered that

Weeman Weeman if thats a troll attempt, its a serious fail

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
i think he was trolling when you answered that

Weeman Weeman if thats a troll attempt, its a serious fail
Mate, its a perfectly innocent (and in all honesty, pretty reasonable) question.

His recent reveal will have confused some people who don't really know who the character is, and there's a reasonable chance some of them go to the most relevant place to ask about him. There's no need to push them away by assuming they're having a laugh.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Mate, its a perfectly innocent (and in all honesty, pretty reasonable) question.

His recent reveal will have confused some people who don't really know who the character is, and there's a reasonable chance some of them go to the most relevant place to ask about him. There's no need to push them away by assuming they're having a laugh.
ah, well from hearing that who is question from the past, i assumed this was going to be another 2015-ish scene. Can't be too careful though, also i'm not trying to push anyone away tbh, i just don't want to go through that area again.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if K. Rool and King Dedede will get into long rallies sucking in and launching projectiles back at each other?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder if K. Rool and King Dedede will get into long rallies sucking in and launching projectiles back at each other?
Poor Ganondorf. Dead Man's Volley was his thing. :p

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I feel like in retrospect the Mii costume was almost definitely taken from a prototype design of K. Rool and how he was planned to look. A lot of the elements in the costume made it over to the Smash 5 model. The vertical crease in his gold armor is missing in Smash 5, his cape has some wear and tear, and his bulging eye is less defined now but I definitely feel like the costume was just a way of saying "We know this is what you want, just give us enough time to make it a reality."

D

Deleted member

I sure am ready to replay DKC1 to Celebrate K.Rool's arrival.

I already replayed Super Castlevania 4 for Simon, it's only fair to do it for the Kremling King.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel like in retrospect the Mii costume was almost definitely taken from a prototype design of K. Rool and how he was planned to look. A lot of the elements in the costume made it over to the Smash 5 model. The vertical crease in his gold armor is missing in Smash 5, his cape has some wear and tear, and his bulging eye is less defined now but I definitely feel like the costume was just a way of saying "We know this is what you want, just give us enough time to make it a reality."
Yeah a lot of us on the Discord were pouring over all the incredible detail it had before his reveal. At first we just thought it was the blue gem, but then we examined it closer and noticed there was far more going on than expected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom