• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I was actually just watching the episode where he reveals that he attended Sore Buns dancing school. He also confirms that he doesn't have ears which seems strange, but maybe all the erratic hand gestures in that show are actually sign language.
huh, weird because crocodiles do have ears.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Also, don't forget, there's another "leak" that just says July. So both major K. Rool "leaks" won't be debunked till August either.

cothero

Smash Lord
I see a lot of people talking about this supposedly July "King K. Rool leak", but i think it's way too soon for a new Nintendo direct to happen. E3 was last month, so i wouldn't expect a new direct until august or september.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I see a lot of people talking about this supposedly July "King K. Rool leak", but i think it's way too soon for a new Nintendo direct to happen. E3 was last month, so i wouldn't expect a new direct until august or september.
Not every character is announced during a direct

cothero

Smash Lord
Not every character is announced during a direct
Every newcomer in Smash 4 were revealed at a Direct, except for Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, wich were revealed to the public during E3 2013 and 2014, respectively. Trailers for hidden newcomers like Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. also appeared on Smash focused directs.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
For some reason I expect at least a mini-direct around the 27th or at leas the week of, mostly because there is some stuff coming out around that time, but that's just baseless conjecture from a half-awake mind. Like some have said it could be a while before we see anything actually announced (Though personally I am pulling for Gamescom and/or EVO to have something, maybe Tokyo Game Show)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Every newcomer in Smash 4 were revealed at a Direct, except for Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, wich were revealed to the public during E3 2013 and 2014, respectively. Trailers for hidden newcomers like Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. also appeared on Smash focused directs.
Incorrect. Robin (and Lucina) were announced on their own, via trailer we knew about in advance, but not in a direct.

Given the limited release timeframe for this game (we have less than 5 months to go now) it’s not unreasonable to see why they might do something like that. Especially given how infrequent directs are these days. (The last one we had before E3 was March 8th)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah I think it's not unreasonable to expect that a newcomer trailer might get posted to the official website considering we don't get directs very often these days.

The whole reason for the Robin/Lucina reveal being on the website was probably because there wasn't a direct close enough to the time Sakurai wanted to announce them.

Of course it won't just randomly appear on the site, I'd expect us to get an announcement a day beforehand.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Remember, Nintendo Directs aren't common anymore like they were when Smash 4 was around. Nowadays, they happen every 3-4 months. With less than 5 months, I imagine the Ultimate devs realize they have to get the newcomer reveals out in either the blog itself or something else.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’d expect one Smash Direct around Halloween timeframe. Maybe like the 50 fact thing.

Considering Robin was announced a month after E3 in a dropped trailer, it seems really possible we could get a newcomer here. If it’s Japan only though...well Shulk was announced in something Japan only...

I’d expect someone like Ashley who’s got very high Japanese popularity. Still, there is that fake leak about K. Rool getting in as Aces DLC - it’s not out of the question since he was last seen in a Mario Sports spinoff, and it would make sense to announce both at once...

Musn’t get hyped...

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
For those who are worried about the lack of information, remember that Brawl after its reveal had no information until November when a new trailer and Fox was shown and then another six month wait before the DOJO opened up. This time around once those five months pass, you'll be able to buy the game and play it. There's still a chance for something to be shown, so worry not about the dry spell.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I feel like no one truly knows anything about this game, the only real leak we had was the Verg leak and so far that was only because whoever his source was saw the promotional material ahead of time with the characters on it.. Simon was a no show and while it's possible for him to show up alongside the supposed Konami collection on Switch it wasn't at E3 which is a huge red flag.

Nintendo has been getting better containing leaks the only time we get them is a day or so before directs probably because someone somehow had seen it. If the Verg guy doesn't know who the remaining newcomers are i dont think anyone does at this point... and even if there IS a real leak out there amongst the garbage, it won't have dates... the real ones never dates because thats implying they know when Sakurai plans on revealing something and I doubt they'd known that.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Yeah, I'd say any leaks that show up round now are mostly just people making safe guesses mixed in with personal wishes. Then if one of their easy calls gets confirmed they get a couple weeks in the spotlight and maybe get the community talking more about characters they "leaked".
Even if they're clearly fake, though, I'd still call them good news for us. K. Rool showing up in so many of them as one of said safe guesses just affirms that people know he's got a real shot.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Assuming that the 4chan “leak” is real, that Smash Bros Event next week could be the mini direct it was referring too (Tho I would assume if the OP had inside information he’d known its an event, but with Nintendo actually streaming it I can kind of understand the confusion). But its a very big assumption and I’m not putting money on it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqcRNm4koRs

James and Mike played DKC3.

They absolutely suck at it. And they seem to hate is based on the fact they don't know how to play it

I doesn't look like they know about the run button. They are moving at a snail's pace.
See, here's the thing; those two are casuals. Especially James, who is more of a film enthusiast than a gamer. I stopped watching their James & Mike Mondays features when it became obvious they didn't bother to take their gameplay sessions seriously. It's pretty much a poor man's Game Grumps.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
See, here's the thing; those two are casuals. Especially James, who is more of a film enthusiast than a gamer. I stopped watching their James & Mike Mondays features when it became obvious they didn't bother to take their gameplay sessions seriously. It's pretty much a poor man's Game Grumps.
At least when the Grumps suck at games, they can still manage to be funny and entertaining. (not always, but often enough)

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone remember how long before the Robin trailer Nintendo announced there was going to be an upcoming reveal?

D

Deleted member

So their live streaming, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Mario Tennis Aces, for some Japan event. Probably just showing off the games, but something at least.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I've said it before but it seems like a good time,

Nintendo's investors have been wringing their necks for more non-Smash related information since E3. So the main takeaways I have for us are that the Direct was obviously coming this month and that we should not expect all of it to be Smash stuff. Might even be one of the ones where you'll have to sit through softball announcements to get to the meat.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Incorrect. Robin (and Lucina) were announced on their own, via trailer we knew about in advance, but not in a direct.

Given the limited release timeframe for this game (we have less than 5 months to go now) it’s not unreasonable to see why they might do something like that. Especially given how infrequent directs are these days. (The last one we had before E3 was March 8th)
I’m going to say no. Let’s be honest with ourselves, Nintendo relied on Smash during the Wii U era, and spilled out all the content before launch just to show they had something. The Switch has already proven to be massively successful, so Nintendo doesn’t need to push their ‘golden goose’ as much.

Smash Ultimate seems to harken back to a time period more akin to Brawl, where information is given, but not every character is shown before launch, leaving many to be secrets. (That leaks will ruin, but that’s besides the point). Expect maybe two more big reveals (and I mean big like Krool and another Ballot placer) due to the usual September and November Directs then maybe two more as we have always gotten 2 third party reps per game since Brawl, so I’m sure Nintendo would show the reveals of characters like Rayman before launch.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I’m going to say no. Let’s be honest with ourselves, Nintendo relied on Smash during the Wii U era, and spilled out all the content before launch just to show they had something. The Switch has already proven to be massively successful, so Nintendo doesn’t need to push their ‘golden goose’ as much.

Smash Ultimate seems to harken back to a time period more akin to Brawl, where information is given, but not every character is shown before launch, leaving many to be secrets. (That leaks will ruin, but that’s besides the point). Expect maybe two more big reveals (and I mean big like Krool and another Ballot placer) due to the usual September and November Directs then maybe two more as we have always gotten 2 third party reps per game since Brawl, so I’m sure Nintendo would show the reveals of characters like Rayman before launch.
Weren't there only three secret characters (and Jigglypuff) in Brawl with Wolf, R.O.B., and Toon Link? They definitely are taking a different approach than that of Sm4sh, but that's not to say that Brawl is much different in terms of secret fighters.

In fact, I'd say Ultimate is far more different than either in terms of marketing campaign because first of all we only got a "proper" reveal of the game six months before its release, that's actually more in line with how Melee was treated. Secondly, we were shown every single returning fighter in its first reveal; for both Brawl and Sm4sh we didn't know every single returning veteran until the game launched (leaks aside).

This marketing strategy is far different than what we've seen in the past, so I think honestly we can't judge exactly how they'll market it until we see more content from Nintendo. Having the announcement trailer and the E3 presentation honestly doesn't tell us a whole lot, except for the fact we have a far shorter "waiting period" compared to past games, and that we know all of the returning veterans. Those two facts in of itself separates it from past Smashes.

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
Something tells me all these "leaks" are merely riding the hype train. Some play it safe, some don't even bother putting effort into it. Remember that one which didn't even bother telling you who is who for some reasons?

Concerning somewhat recent news, if the Ballot really was meant for Ultimate, then I think it's safe to say that K. Rool is very likely to be playable now. I don't think he'll be revealed for a while if that is the case, but it's not gonna matter in the long run if he's playable at all.

In fact, I'd say Ultimate is far more different than either in terms of marketing campaign because first of all we only got a "proper" reveal of the game six months before its release, that's actually more in line with how Melee was treated.
Melee had a much shorter development time, so, it's not exactly comparable here. They had like what, one year? They simply wouldn't have anything to show if they decided to do it earlier.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Something tells me all these "leaks" are merely riding the hype train. Some play it safe, some don't even bother putting effort into it. Remember that one which didn't even bother telling you who is who for some reasons?

Concerning somewhat recent news, if the Ballot really was meant for Ultimate, then I think it's safe to say that K. Rool is very likely to be playable now. I don't think he'll be revealed for a while if that is the case, but it's not gonna matter in the long run if he's playable at all.

Melee had a much shorter development time, so, it's not exactly comparable here. They had like what, one year? They simply wouldn't have anything to show if they decided to do it earlier.
Sorry I didn't mean to compare their development history (yeah, Ultimate has been in active development since 2016 (late 2015 if you count the project proposal) where as Melee only had 13 months of development, so completely different development schedules. It's just that it had the closest marketing campaign compared to all the other Smash games. However Melee and Ultimate's development cycles differ so greatly that comparing them on a game to game level is impossible, that's why Ultimate has such a unique marketing campaign compared to any of the game that have previously released.

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
Sorry I didn't mean to compare their development history (yeah, Ultimate has been in active development since 2016 (late 2015 if you count the project proposal) where as Melee only had 13 months of development, so completely different development schedules. It's just that it had the closest marketing campaign compared to all the other Smash games. However Melee and Ultimate's development cycles differ so greatly that comparing them on a game to game level is impossible, that's why Ultimate has such a unique marketing campaign compared to any of the game that have previously released.
I know, I'm just saying that they didn't have much of a choice when it comes to their marketing campaign. Ultimate is certainly unique in that department.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Weren't there only three secret characters (and Jigglypuff) in Brawl with Wolf, R.O.B., and Toon Link? They definitely are taking a different approach than that of Sm4sh, but that's not to say that Brawl is much different in terms of secret fighters.

In fact, I'd say Ultimate is far more different than either in terms of marketing campaign because first of all we only got a "proper" reveal of the game six months before its release, that's actually more in line with how Melee was treated. Secondly, we were shown every single returning fighter in its first reveal; for both Brawl and Sm4sh we didn't know every single returning veteran until the game launched (leaks aside).

This marketing strategy is far different than what we've seen in the past, so I think honestly we can't judge exactly how they'll market it until we see more content from Nintendo. Having the announcement trailer and the E3 presentation honestly doesn't tell us a whole lot, except for the fact we have a far shorter "waiting period" compared to past games, and that we know all of the returning veterans. Those two facts in of itself separates it from past Smashes.
Ohh. Yeah. Sorry it’s been awhile, I just remember Brawl being more secretive with characters, while Wii U literally dumped out all of their fighters before the game’s release. Honestly, I still believe the marketing won’t show much. Sakurai seems to want to surprise more, as we only got one new character reveal at E3 compared to Wii U’s 3 per show. Plus with him saying that he wants the roster to start off with the OG 12, I’m guessing he wants some surprises for players to find.

I feel the only real reveals will be 2 third party characters, the rest may be left as a surprise for fans to find.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
So their live streaming, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Mario Tennis Aces, for some Japan event. Probably just showing off the games, but something at least.
We may get something actually. I checked the time it starts, and it's around the time the website gets updated.

Not saying anything will show up, but it's quite a coincidence the livestream starts when it does. We could be getting a trailer the same way we got Shulk's reveal.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
https://youtu.be/CT-DmdaLH_Q

Not meaning to grasp at straws here folks, but this popped up on my feed this morning... - Afro
WOAH WOAH WOAH

The logo on the left of the video is clearly the Smash Ultimate logo in Japanese, it's got the same font and curved underline and ™ mark in the same place the english logo does.

GUYS

CHARACTER REVEAL SOON

I CAN ****ING FEEL IT

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Got my girlfriend to translate the title and description of the stream video:

"Aim for 3 consecutive victories! knockout challenge in Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue'"

And then goes onto mention in the description, "There is going to be tournaments for SSBU and Mario Tennis Aces at Makuhari Messe in Chiba and some place in Osaka".

I really doubt they would announce a new fighter during a non international stream, but who knows?

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Got my girlfriend to translate the title and description of the stream video:

"Aim for 3 consecutive victories! knockout challenge in Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue'"

And then goes onto mention in the description, "There is going to be tournaments for SSBU and Mario Tennis Aces at Makuhari Messe in Chiba and some place in Osaka".

I really doubt they would announce a new fighter during a non international stream, but who knows?
RIP

Nevermind boys, we gotta wait this one out a little longer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well there goes that it’s alright, I can wait and Nintendo will be ready to show, something when ready. It’s summer time to enjoy the hot weather hang with friends, play other games ECT. Nintendo and Mashpotatoe samurai will talk when ready. Till then just got to be patient.

Top Bottom