• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was watching a retrospective of the DK series throughout the years and I still get chills when I see that E3 presentation where they revealed DKCR.

I also found out that apparently DKCR is considered a hard game. Which blows my mind. Really? I'll admit that DKCR2 is kind of hard. But DKCR?

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I was watching a retrospective of the DK series throughout the years and I still get chills when I see that E3 presentation where they revealed DKCR.

I also found out that apparently DKCR is considered a hard game. Which blows my mind. Really? I'll admit that DKCR2 is kind of hard. But DKCR?
I have actually never played either of the new DKRs. Though i keep considering buying Tropical Freeze for the switch.

That being said, I did download DKC and DKC2 on my 3DS recently to catch up on those good old K.Rool memories. I miss the kremlings so much. I miss their older designs when they looked more intimidating. And man David Wise is a wizard. Most games have catchy tunes, but he makes it catchy and just douses each song in ambience and atmosphere. How did he make the snes sound chip sing like that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's demand for the Kremlings return that's going to get a third game in the series made

Imagine the title having; Donkey Kong K Rool Returns

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Will Gangplank Galleon replace Pirate Ship why haven't we seen Pirate Ship sense E3?

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Would you feel betrayed if Dixie makes in instead of K. Rool ?
I will not lie, Dixie is my favorite videogame character of all time and personally I'd be more happier with her inclusion.
But lately both of them are equally wanted to me, both would be a dream come true.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'd be a little miffed, yeah.

Not that I don't like Dixie, but I always been a fan of villains, and I know K. Rool would be a crazy fun character to play.

Plus I'd have my two favorite DK characters in the game, him and Diddy.

However, if Dixie is in the game, I would hope she isn't an echo of Diddy. There's enough to pull from to make her own movest.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'd far prefer K Rool despite actually liking Dixie more as a character. I'm a sucker for playable villains. Like, I'd be super hyped at Giygas even though I have no idea what he'd even do just because villain.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
While I disliked at first of this idea, I think having Dixie as a echo and K.Rool is a newcomer is the best scenario for the series.if If the game will really have a low number of newcomers, there's a very very low probability of having both of them as newcomers.
K.Rool is unique. He must be implemented from scratch.
Dixie, while would be nice to have her guitar and hair, can be easily made out of Diddy. There's a lot of work with changing the animations, but it would use less resources and not be saw as a "dk bias" (I dunno if people would remember this last two games without dk newcomers).

Enchess

Smash Lord
While I disliked at first of this idea, I think having Dixie as a echo and K.Rool is a newcomer is the best scenario for the series.if If the game will really have a low number of newcomers, there's a very very low probability of having both of them as newcomers.
K.Rool is unique. He must be implemented from scratch.
Dixie, while would be nice to have her guitar and hair, can be easily made out of Diddy. There's a lot of work with changing the animations, but it would use less resources and not be saw as a "dk bias" (I dunno if people would remember this last two games without dk newcomers).
Devil's advocate: People in the general thread keep popping up saying that Sakurai wouldn't draw from DKC2,3, or DK64 for some reason. If he was only based on DKC1, I could see him as a Wolf-esque clone, taking every move that works for him from Bowser, then taking the rest from other characters (ex. Up-B from Dedede). If that was the case we could have unique Dixie and semi-clone K Rool

Klimax

Smash Ace
Dixie as an echo would feel awkward, why would she use a jetpack instead of her hair ? The best scenario ever would be Dixie and K. Rool as newcomers.
And if Dixie is making in without K Rool, i would be happy for Dixie (i really like the character) but also really sad since K. Rool is my favorite video game villain.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think Dixie works fine as a semi-clone, but anything less and she’s just not Dixie. Her hair is a huge part of her character and should be a part of her move set.

That said, as a fan of both K Rool and Dixie, I would greatly prefer the former, and I think he’s more deserving. He might not be more relevant, but IMO he’s more iconic.

But - like the case with Impa and any other Zelda rep - I would be fine with any DK rep since it’s so under represented.

Enchess Enchess Also Giygas would be cool. I’d like it if all 12 of the OG’s has their villain!

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Well... Dark Pit has that minimum changes from Pit.
Dixie maybe change the UpB only and the animations.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Would people prefer Diddy's Dixie color scheme become a full-on Dixie costume, ponytail and everything, or not have Dixie playable period?

Personally I'd rather the costume than nothing. I know with echoes it feels like it traps the character from ever being more in future, but I feel differently about costumes for some reason.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Yea I feel Dixie as an echoe would not be Dixie.
If it meant havint the jetpack, it would not reflect the character.
And I don't think replacing it with hair animation would work.
I first said she could be echoe because I did not fully understand what echoe meant, but apprently, she would not fit in that category if it means not changing the animations.
She'd be good as a semi-clone.

As for getting Dixie but no K.Rool, I would not feel betrayed.
Because Dixie is my N°2, and she is one of the last essential characters missing, alonside K.Rool imo.
But It would definitly hurt me not to get the Crocodile king.
I prefer the: K.Rool but no Dixie scenario, because I prefer him, and I think he would bring more to the table than her ( not yet another ape, we need more heavy characters, he could be a heavy AND a zoner with blunderbuss wich could be quite unique, we need vilains and I think every important serie needs its archnemesis, and 8 main series of the game all got their villains...except DK...).
But still, with K.Rool and no Dixie, I would feel something is still missing...But I'd get over it easier than no K.Rool and Dixie.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Would people prefer Diddy's Dixie color scheme become a full-on Dixie costume, ponytail and everything, or not have Dixie playable period?

Personally I'd rather the costume than nothing. I know with echoes it feels like it traps the character from ever being more in future, but I feel differently about costumes for some reason.
That's better than nothing, so yeah.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Would you feel betrayed if Dixie makes in instead of K. Rool ?
I will not lie, Dixie is my favorite videogame character of all time and personally I'd be more happier with her inclusion.
But lately both of them are equally wanted to me, both would be a dream come true.
Betrayed? No.

I want more DKC content and I'd have got more DKC content. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Obviously I'd rather KKR but after the disappointing absence of anything in Smash 3DS/Wii U I'd be ecstatic to see either.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
guys, I think we should focus on getting k rool first before Dixie. I get that Dixie should be in but compared with k rool, Dixie is a lot more easy to put in in terms of move set and relevance. she can be a semi clone of diddy and that isn't to much work. plus she was part of the forbidden 7 if anyone remembers that. I feel like king k rools time is now. it's been way to long and this needs to happen with k rool as his ultimate comeback. It's not because he'll finally be playable but also to make him relevant again and have him appear in future dk titles. where as Dixie Kong is already relevant and has been appearing in games. k rool needs to come first. I would like both of course, but k rool is more requested and DK needs his villain. samus got hers and fox got his rival. k rool is the only one missing. makes sense? if the smash ballot wasnt enough to tell Nintendo that king k rool means a lot to so many people, im afraid he'll never be able to get in. I don't want him to be playable when I'm 50 years old

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
guys, I think we should focus on getting k rool first before Dixie. I get that Dixie should be in but compared with k rool, Dixie is a lot more easy to put in in terms of move set and relevance. she can be a semi clone of diddy and that isn't to much work. plus she was part of the forbidden 7 if anyone remembers that. I feel like king k rools time is now. it's been way to long and this needs to happen with k rool as his ultimate comeback. It's not because he'll finally be playable but also to make him relevant again and have him appear in future dk titles. where as Dixie Kong is already relevant and has been appearing in games. k rool needs to come first. I would like both of course, but k rool is more requested and DK needs his villain. samus got hers and fox got his rival. k rool is the only one missing. makes sense? if the smash ballot wasnt enough to tell Nintendo that king k rool means a lot to so many people, im afraid he'll never be able to get in. I don't want him to be stable when I'm 50 years old
Pray tell: how do we focus on getting one character in?

For the most part we aren't really doing anything. All we can do is speculate and make some noise about the characters we love and for many of us that extends to the whole of the DKC franchise.

Speculation isn't an either/or, nor should it be.

Enchess

Smash Lord
guys, I think we should focus on getting k rool first before Dixie. I get that Dixie should be in but compared with k rool, Dixie is a lot more easy to put in in terms of move set and relevance. she can be a semi clone of diddy and that isn't to much work. plus she was part of the forbidden 7 if anyone remembers that. I feel like king k rools time is now. it's been way to long and this needs to happen with k rool as his ultimate comeback. It's not because he'll finally be playable but also to make him relevant again and have him appear in future dk titles. where as Dixie Kong is already relevant and has been appearing in games. k rool needs to come first. I would like both of course, but k rool is more requested and DK needs his villain. samus got hers and fox got his rival. k rool is the only one missing. makes sense? if the smash ballot wasnt enough to tell Nintendo that king k rool means a lot to so many people, im afraid he'll never be able to get in. I don't want him to be stable when I'm 50 years old
We can't get K Rool in the base game at this point if he isn't already. These threads can only be considered to boost a character's chance for DLC or the next game. I think the Dixie and K Rool threads are really more about community and mutual love of DK series than 'getting in'. They are symbiotic in that way because the larger we grow a community who remembers and cares about classic DKC, the more likely Nintendo is to bring back the elements we love, be it in Smash or DKC6.

StormC

Smash Hero
Obviously I love Dixie, and after getting Ridley, only getting her is something I could live with. But I would still be disappointed Sakurai neglected a fan favorite character with such a rich history, especially when it could change the tide forever on how people think he doesn't care about the DK series. K. Rool would just be such a unique fighter, both in Smash in general and as a Donkey Kong character, and I can't think of a better platform for him to make his return. He's the last major villain not playable in the series and I think it's high time for his debut.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pray tell: how do we focus on getting one character in?

For the most part we aren't really doing anything. All we can do is speculate and make some noise about the characters we love and for many of us that extends to the whole of the DKC franchise.

Speculation isn't an either/or, nor should it be.
Yeah, unless there's a new ballot coming we're not really in a position to do anything about it right now.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I am really going to go off topic on this one, but yesterday I realized that there is something I wish we saw in Smash:

Either a stage of this mining stage or a level "if" there was an adventure mode in Ultimate. I think something like this was a missed opportunity in Melee's adventure mode since the DK franchise didn't have anything interesting to showcase other than fighting DK, but Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Ice Climber, and F-Zero had interesting levels that reflected the gameplay of the franchises. A level like this where the fighters have to ride the carts to the finish line with hazards along the way would be so cool, but I can only dream.....

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I don't think any of us should feel "betrayed" if Dixie got in over K. Rool. I would personally be happy that DK got another rep, but I'd also be left pretty sad. End of the day, It's all Sakurai's decision. But if it were to come to that I don't think any of us should turn this into a Dixie vs K. Rool war. That would only lead to things being much worse. We're gonna have to be level headed about it if it comes to that.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think people need to think about K. Rool's inclusion from a marketing standpoint to realize exactly what his chances are. People often reference K. Rool's absence in Donkey Kong games, or his popularity being solely with the "nostalgia crowd", but what these people tend to forget is: K. Rool has sex appeal. Those intelligent eyes. Those white teeth. The tasteful golden breastplate. The lavish cape. Those strong, capable arms.

I don't know why everyone pushes Zero Suit or Bayonetta as the "sexy" character. K. Rool makes them look like the women you find at Wal-Mart at 3AM. And c'mon. K. Rool, Wario, and Ridley in one game? Might as well reclassify this game as M for Mature for the raw sexuality being exuded.

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I think if it did have to be either K. Rool or Dixie I would say, as of now, K. Rool has a greater chance of being playable. Yeah, Dixie is definitely the more "relevant" character but seeing as how she didn't get a Mii costume kind of shows to me that Sakurai considers K. Rool higher on the "priority ladder." I'm not saying it's definite that K. Rool would get in over Dixie but there's no way they'd release a piece of paid merchandise of a character that didn't appear in a game in years if they didn't think there was some form of financial demand. It kind of just shows me that Sakurai (or Nintendo) considered K. Rool more of a financially viable choice for DLC material. And I know Sakurai's choices can sometimes be out of left field but it is important to realize that they want to pick what they personally think would appeal to the most consumers possible.

So yeah, I'm hoping that Dixie also gets a chance at this game with K. Rool (because frankly DK only having the same amount of characters as Kid Icarus is sort of laughably bad, just based on the disparity of the franchises), but if I had to put money on one I'd put money on K. Rool (as of now).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think people need to think about K. Rool's inclusion from a marketing standpoint to realize exactly what his chances are. People often reference K. Rool's absence in Donkey Kong games, or his popularity being solely with the "nostalgia crowd", but what these people tend to forget is: K. Rool has sex appeal. Those intelligent eyes. Those white teeth. The tasteful golden breastplate. The lavish cape. Those strong, capable arms.

I don't know why everyone pushes Zero Suit or Bayonetta as the "sexy" character. K. Rool makes them look like the women you find at Wal-Mart at 3AM. And c'mon. K. Rool, Wario, and Ridley in one game? Might as well reclassify this game as M for Mature for the raw sexuality being exuded.
In that case, we should hope that K.Rool isn't the next revealed character. Based on this scheme, he needs to be the fourth unique moveset we get.

I'll see myself out.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
For those who refresh the Smash Ultimate thread on the main board as much as I do, you know a bunch of recent leaks have mentioned a Banjo-Kazooie reveal this weekend or Monday. And of course Rare’s “power outage” that’s forcing them to postpone a reveal of BK merch/a Greg Mayles interview until ... Monday.

What does this mean, if anything, for K. Rool’s chances? I doubt this is legit and that it really would mean anything if it were, but what do you think?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For those who refresh the Smash Ultimate thread on the main board as much as I do, you know a bunch of recent leaks have mentioned a Banjo-Kazooie reveal this weekend or Monday. And of course Rare’s “power outage” that’s forcing them to postpone a reveal of BK merch/a Greg Mayles interview until ... Monday.

What does this mean, if anything, for K. Rool’s chances? I doubt this is legit and that it really would mean anything if it were, but what do you think?
I don't buy any reveals but the power outage was legit. Pretty well the entire East Coast of the US plus a significant number inland running Comcast was without internet/phone/TV for a few hours in the middle of the day because a fiber got cut that serviced a lot of the area.

Glad I could still play Hyrule Warriors without going online, and glad I have a smartphone.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I've seen the Rare tweets, but nothing about any leaks that are related. Got any links? I'm curious.

Top Bottom