• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Klimax

Smash Ace
Yeah, Paon's K. Rool definitely looks a bit like Wart.

By the way, i made a topic about the most wanted newcomers in France, you guys should check, i'm sure you'll like it haha !

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A number of people in the K. Rool Discord were looking at Google Trends and comparing his and other characters' results to make sure we weren't forcing Nintendo to go out of business by adding such an irrelevant dead villain to Smash.

Here are some of their findings. K. Rool is represented by the blue line, while the other character has the red line. The two big spikes you see near the end of K. Rool's line are in April 2015, when the Smash ballot launched, and in July 2015, when K. Rool's costume was revealed.

Of note, this is how Google describes the values in the Y axis: Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time. A value of 100 is the peak popularity for the term. A value of 50 means that the term is half as popular. A score of 0 means there was not enough data for this term.

K. Rool and Dixie:

K. Rool and Geno:

K. Rool and Ashley:

K. Rool and Elma:

K. Rool and Isaac:

K. Rool and Lloyd Irving:

The users tried doing other searches as well, but they turned out to be far more difficult to decipher. A search with Bayonetta, for example, comes up with results for both the character and her games. And most Mario characters and enemies beat K. Rool handily, though that's far from a surprise given it's, y'know, Mario.

Anyhow, read into this what you will. My take is, there might have been "silent majorities" investigating other characters on...Yahoo or Bing, but on Google, K. Rool was right up there with the best of them as far as characters people were curious about at a time when it mattered most for this game.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just realized how the trailer could go down

Dixie kong is the last reveal of whatever direct it is then we see gameplay of her then at the near ending we get the classic "The end?" Then king k rool pops out then get whatever catchphrase it is then gameplay then the direct truely ends

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here's a cool topic to think about...Have any of you been literally DREAMING of how this will turn out?

So, what about the rest of you? Any good dreams?
I did actually have a weird dream about K. Rool

I was hanging out with a bunch of nintendo characters at a bar, talking to K. Rool.
He was telling me how he was concerned about if he would get into smash.
So I held his hand and reassured him that he was gonna make it.

then the TV came on and a character reveal was about to happen. and Waluigi was confirmed as a character for smash!
I thought "whoa that's great! that will make a lot of people happy, but don't give up yet K. Rool, it's still early, there is hope for you my friend"

I'm not sure how to react to that dream but I can't help but laugh at the fact that I was holding his hand xD
it was kind of intimate, and yet not... Bromance maybe?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I had a Ridley dream a few days before he was revealed.
It was...anticlimatic. He was at a Smash themed party, trying to drink from a cup and failing because of his beak shape.
Currently trying to have a K. Rool dream were K. Rool comically steals bananas and pratfalls or something.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
You know what I hate about Dixie's role in Smash? How did she not slip through the cracks like Martha and Black Pit did in For? If she were a last minute dessert option, I'd have happily settled with that and would have still kept the game. At least I could mix DK/Diddy, Dixie/DK, Diddy/Dixie in team battles and even have a triple Kong team in 8-Player Smash. That's the most damning factor of this; Dixie theoretically could have been added at the last minute with some mild tweaks. K. Rool makes sense considering his unique design.

Dixie got screwed over hard in hindsight.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You know what I hate about Dixie's role in Smash? How did she not slip through the cracks like Martha and Black Pit did in For? If she were a last minute dessert option, I'd have happily settled with that and would have still kept the game. At least I could mix DK/Diddy, Dixie/DK, Diddy/Dixie in team battles and even have a triple Kong team in 8-Player Smash. That's the most damning factor of this; Dixie theoretically could have been added at the last minute with some mild tweaks. K. Rool makes sense considering his unique design.

Dixie got screwed over hard in hindsight.
Because she wasn't a costume for Diddy

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
Guys I don't think Simon belmont will get in. I don't know if this is on topic Bec I didn't read they posts beforehand lol.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I know since most of the leaks are fake this doesn't mean anything, but I am super happy that I haven't seen a leak that hasn't directly mentioned K. Rool. Technically Vergeben's didn't but his info was extremely vague outside of E3. Honestly what a fantastic turnaround for this character. He went from basicallygetting phased out at Nintendo to getting trademarked and possibly taking a spot back in the spotlight. The fact that people who are trying to look credible are NEEDING to put in K. Rool just to have people even think it's legit is incredible.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I am really hoping that if K.Rool gets confirmed for smash, that we get a bunch of fan art of him and ridley being bros, considering the two are pretty simular in smash fan demand.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I am really hoping that if K.Rool gets confirmed for smash, that we get a bunch of fan art of him and ridley being bros, considering the two are pretty simular in smash fan demand.
My headcanon is that Ridley hangs out with K. Rool because he misses Kraid.
I mean, besides the size they're pretty similar.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hmm... Going from Sakurai's Part 2 of his "Smash is Special" column as translated by SourceGaming:
I have to receive approval from the original creators of the characters, and I need to reflect their feedback. If this feedback differs from the direction we’ve taken with a character in Smash, then it’s our job to reconcile this disparity no matter how much time or energy it takes. Contractual agreements and other legal issues can also make development exceedingly difficult.
I'm wondering something. Let's say that K. Rool did very well in the ballot, but when it came time for considering the character that would make it in as the 'Ballot Winner,' perhaps legal issues may have come into play? K. Rool is a character who was made by non-Japanese developers, and perhaps given the timeframe of the ballot, they might not have been able to have the time and budget to settle on K. Rool as the 'Winner.' Maybe because the process of arranging with Steve Mayles (who I'm sure wholeheartedly would approve on seeing K. Rool or Dixie join Smash Bros as playable characters), then trying to make him work as a playable character might have eaten into their time. Perhaps that's why they settled on making the Mii Costume, and they'd revisit K. Rool again now that Smash has officially acknowledged his fanbase and the demands for him to be playable.

I think it's kinda plausible that with the limited timeframe they had for the ballot, K. Rool's popularity and demand for being playable would be acknowledged, and they'd save him for the next game. Just a personal theory I thought of. What do you think?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm... Going from Sakurai's Part 2 of his "Smash is Special" column as translated by SourceGaming:

I'm wondering something. Let's say that K. Rool did very well in the ballot, but when it came time for considering the character that would make it in as the 'Ballot Winner,' perhaps legal issues may have come into play? K. Rool is a character who was made by non-Japanese developers, and perhaps given the timeframe of the ballot, they might not have been able to have the time and budget to settle on K. Rool as the 'Winner.' Maybe because the process of arranging with Steve Mayles (who I'm sure wholeheartedly would approve on seeing K. Rool or Dixie join Smash Bros as playable characters), then trying to make him work as a playable character might have eaten into their time. Perhaps that's why they settled on making the Mii Costume, and they'd revisit K. Rool again now that Smash has officially acknowledged his fanbase and the demands for him to be playable.

I think it's kinda plausible that with the limited timeframe they had for the ballot, K. Rool's popularity and demand for being playable would be acknowledged, and they'd save him for the next game. Just a personal theory I thought of. What do you think?
Steve Mayles does in fact completely support having K. Rool in Smash.

I think the Mii costume if it means anything was meant as a fair compromise at the time either way, since K. Rool is much more work than any human-shaped character and certainly is less "realizable" than someone like Bayonetta, especially if his scales have actual scale textures, which they would. As we've countless pointed out, it uses the Rare model that Steve designed, and has yet to be mentioned by Sakurai despite being arguably the most noteworthy costume. It's not a stretch to see it as texture practice or even parts of a 3D model they might have been working on. Having to confer with Steve might've taken part of the time too. (Of course, let's not continue this narrative, because Sakurai doesn't *have* to speak with Steve or anyone. Steve doesn't own the rights to K. Rool now, Nintendo does. If Sakurai wants to talk to him, it has nothing to do with the usability of K. Rool. I don't think he'd speak with him though.) I'm sure it wasn't a huge timesink though, since there's not really a ton of intense party-to-party negotiation going on with someone who isn't part of a third party company.

I mean, Diddy was designed by Kevin Bayliss, and he made it just fine.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Steve Mayles does in fact completely support having K. Rool in Smash.

I think the Mii costume if it means anything was meant as a fair compromise either way, since K. Rool is much more work than any human-shaped character and certainly is less "realizable" than someone like Bayonetta, especially if his scales have actual scale textures, which they would. Having to confer with Steve might've taken part of the time too. I'm sure it wasn't a huge timesink though, since there's not really a ton of intense party-to-party negotiation going on with someone who isn't part of a third party company.

I mean, Diddy was designed by Kevin Bayliss, and he made it just fine.
That seems fair enough. If the Mii Costume was designed as a 'consolation prize' of sorts, then I guess K. Rool's still on their mind and they might be willing to experiment with making him playable in Smash Bros this time around; perhaps more so if the game started development as the ballot was wrapping up. If they're willing to try and make K. Rool as faithfully as they could make Ridley, then I'm okay if they decided to save him for Ultimate.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

It's true that King K. Rool was created by Steve Mayles when he worked for Rare. But at this point, that's more like trivia than any meaningful information. Neither Steve Mayles nor Rare have legal rights over K. Rool. The same goes for any other thing Rare created for the DKC franchise. King K. Rool is a Nintendo first party property just like Diddy, Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Squawks and Rambi, who were also created by Rare. All these characters, including King K. Rool, have shown up in Nintendo games since Microsoft's acquisition of Rare, most of those games having no involvement by Rare or Microsoft in any form.

King K. Rool has nothing to do with Rare anymore and I am sure that Sakurai would never consult with anybody outside of Nintendo when it comes to interpreting the character in Smash Brothers. K. Rool belongs to them.

The quote mentioned about Sakurai seeking approval of the original creators probably is in relation with characters that are not owned by Nintendo -- third party characters. I am sure he does consult with the original creators of Nintendo-owned franchises, like he consulted with the Wii Fit developers about Wii Fit trainer's face. But consulting within the company for a Nintendo owned property is very different from consulting an outside party about something they own. That will never happen. I am sure now that other people at Nintendo are "in charge" of the DK franchise that Sakurai could consult, should he decide to.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That seems fair enough. If the Mii Costume was designed as a 'consolation prize' of sorts, then I guess K. Rool's still on their mind and they might be willing to experiment with making him playable in Smash Bros this time around; perhaps more so if the game started development as the ballot was wrapping up. If they're willing to try and make K. Rool as faithfully as they could make Ridley, then I'm okay if they decided to save him for Ultimate.
Oh yeah, I'm working with the theory it was a "This is the best we can do right now, here's a "technically playable" K. Rool as an acknowledgment of the support, we'll see what we can do with this kind of model once we have a full team again." type thing. The DLC team was consistently described as having a much smaller, skeleton crew team, and all of the newcomers were human-shaped and based loosely on existing skeletons, so it adds up.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That looks like a lo-fi Smash 3ds leak. It might even be from the last cycle of leaks tbh.
Yeah, I checked with people on the Discord and BKupa said it was from back in the day. Still, having a stage with the Sunset Shore aesthetic would be *awesome*.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Found it on 4chan. Can't remember the thread! Looks really freaking cool. I hope it's real. Could you imagine a DKC stage that looks like that? That would be amazing.
While I'd love to believe that this is real, (King K. Rool confirmed, silhouette stage too? BRO) I feel like whoever did this used a silhouette design so that it would be easier to fake, since you can't actually see the King K. Rool model. Plus, when are the blurry screenshot leaks ever real? I would certainly love for this to be real, though!

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Found it on 4chan. Can't remember the thread! Looks really freaking cool. I hope it's real. Could you imagine a DKC stage that looks like that? That would be amazing.
but wouldn't that be a lot of extra work since every character would need an extra color essentially? and what about alt colors? in that case that one stage would be doubling the workload for all the characters colors.

also if you just posted here how do you not know what the thread is?

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
The fact that the first image of K.Rool is a silhouette immediatly makes me think fake. Just too easy of a way for someone to say he is in the game without putting effort in making a realistic 3d model. That being said a level like that would be really neat.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Faker than King Kut Out. That's just K. Rool's DKC sprite.

I've been wondering. Do you think Paon K. Rool could qualify as a Pokemon rep? As an alternative final evolution of Poliwag, the great frog king Paon K. Rool could make it into Smash as a double DK/Pokemon rep. Maybe we can catch Paon K. Rool in Pokemon Let's Go Pikach/Eveee.

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
but wouldn't that be a lot of extra work since every character would need an extra color essentially? and what about alt colors? in that case that one stage would be doubling the workload for all the characters colors.

also if you just posted here how do you not know what the thread is?
I had the image saved on my computer a few hours ago and our power went out so I couldn't get to it until just a little while ago lol

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I got a question for you guys cuz i want your opinions. if K.Rool is in smash, do you think he'd have realistic roars like Bowser and DK, or will they go with cartoony grunts like in the cartoon or mario sluggers?

Enchess

Smash Lord
I got a question for you guys cuz i want your opinions. if K.Rool is in smash, do you think he'd have realistic roars like Bowser and DK, or will they go with cartoony grunts like in the cartoon or mario sluggers?
Depends on if they do a boring DKC1 only moveset (realistic) or pull from all games (cartoony).

In the greatest timeline we get cartoony gadgets and realistic crocodile noises. It makes me laugh when I try imagining him making realistic crocodile sounds while using a blunderbuss to propel himself in a dash.

Top Bottom