• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay I'll admit, I laughed at the title. :p

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Playing dead move would be soo funny, even if it ends up being a gimmick attack only working on casuasl or people not aware of its existence.

Btw, there is an interesting topic on gamefaqs, talking about the most wanted characters in Japan, propably the key for making it into the Smash Roster.
Unfortunately it is hard to get an idea if you don't understand Japanese and go on their sites, we got few infos about.
But it seems K.Rool could be the N°1 most wanted, if not at least very popular.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76678255

Hope this feedback is true, I don't know if we can really trust Jeff_Mercer (from what I remember he made fake leak in the past ) I'd like to hear more about what japanese fans want.
I don't trust him...oh wait, that's me. I trust me.

Not lying here. K. Rool's support in Japan is MASSIVE. I also did that one joke leak after a couple of buds on here wanted me to lol

But yeah, make no joke about it, K. Rool's popularity is Japan is completely unmatched from what I saw.

This makes me hopeful.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I have been awaiting the arrival of our King for over a decade now, and it finally feels that fate may be on his side. He checks all the boxes, and most of his major competition (except Ridley) have already gotten a roster spot. I feel the time is nigh for our rightful ruler to finally secure his coveted Super Smash Bros. roster slot, and make the dream of all the Kremling Kutthroats come true. Fingers crossed brothers and sisters.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I don't trust him...oh wait, that's me. I trust me.

Not lying here. K. Rool's support in Japan is MASSIVE. I also did that one joke leak after a couple of buds on here wanted me to lol

But yeah, make no joke about it, K. Rool's popularity is Japan is completely unmatched from what I saw.

This makes me hopeful.

That's good to hear, thx.

Ridley is talked about everywhere with E3 approaching, they must not forget our king :(

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's good to hear, thx.

Ridley is talked about everywhere with E3 approaching, they must not forget our king :(
Ridley may have gain Ground since he vergeben gained some creditbility

But I still think the king is in his game based off the ballot and fan request

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
How is Ridley competition for K. Rool? Other than being big, evil reptiles, they have nothing in common. They're not from the same franchise, and they wouldn't have similar movesets or anything either.

:094:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With E3 right around the corner I've really been thinking about who I expect to see again, and I'm so happy to have that Smash hype rushing back. It's a tough call with the minimal info that we have right now, but considering the ballot is going to be taken into consideration, plus that Mii Costume that came out of nowhere and the fact that K. Rool continues to be one of the most popular characters worldwide...

The viable character pool gets smaller with every game. I think it's finally time.

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
How is Ridley competition for K. Rool? Other than being big, evil reptiles, they have nothing in common. They're not from the same franchise, and they wouldn't have similar movesets or anything either.

:094:
Technically, every character is competition for K. Rool because they all take resources to make. If, say, Crash gets in, there might not be enough time left for K. Rool. There's also the possibility of someone popular being picked while K. Rool remains unplayable because "Well, you got a popular char, wasn't that enough?" or something like that.
It's not a good way to think of this stuff though. Especially not for people like us or Ridley supporters considering our history. Even without it, it's just a little bit too negative, no?

Also, obese overlord? C'mon, I'm sure that most of that is just muscle. I mean just check those guns...and his blunderbuss!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How do you guys generally feel about K. Rool's chances in Smash? Will his lack of major appearances in new DKC games prevent his inclusion? I have been thinking about it critically, and I feel his lack of recent significance has been the one and only obstacle preventing his inclusion. But, he has a number of pros that could potentially override that irrelevancy in the new DKC games. I would like to hear as many perspectives as possible.

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
I'd say he has a good chance of being added as a playable character. Not appearing in games for a while isn't really a problem if Pit, who disappeared for like 20 years, somehow got into Brawl's roster. It's not like he was anything really notable either.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am kind of worried. Even if our king is in the game, he could still get in as an Assist Trophy. What are the odds of that happening?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How do you guys generally feel about K. Rool's chances in Smash? Will his lack of major appearances in new DKC games prevent his inclusion? I have been thinking about it critically, and I feel his lack of recent significance has been the one and only obstacle preventing his inclusion. But, he has a number of pros that could potentially override that irrelevancy in the new DKC games. I would like to hear as many perspectives as possible.
His long absence does hurt him, but there are others who have also been out for a while as well. I think his popularity is the biggest thing he has going for him. I know internet polls don’t mean squat, but pretty well every poll, including Japanese ones, put K. Rool at or near the top. Nintendo’s definitely seen his popularity, and I’m sure it took them by surprise.

I can really only base on popularity, but after the ballot, K. Rool really feels likehe has a legitimate chance now.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's time like these that remind me of why I almost exclusively only post here.... geez man you try to tell people to keep their expectations in check and have a civil discussion and you get insulted..... the general board is too much... sorry for the small rant.

Edit: I think K. Rools chances are better than theyve ever been

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
K. Rool might not have had many roles recently, but the roles he DID have are pretty significant. Being the antagonist of a trilogy of well-received platformers is nothing to scoff at, especially when they're among the only western games to ever break a million sales in Japan. There would be plenty of people who would remember after having played the games back in the 90s.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I am kind of worried. Even if our king is in the game, he could still get in as an Assist Trophy. What are the odds of that happening?
If a character is big as K. Rool was relegated to an assist trophy, especially after the attention received in the smash 4 era, the unfortunate tendencies of the internet would lead to the verbal crucifixion of the developer team responsible. I'm sure that Nintendo isn't crazy enough to walk into such a PR nightmare, so I'd say that you nothing to worry about; it's either a character position or nothing for this croc.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Funny thing is, the latest DK game we've gotten is a port of Tropical Freeze which didn't have K. Rool anyway, so we have yet to get a "new" DK game. If we got a new game that lacked K. Rool I'd say we need to start worrying but since the ballot we got the Mii costume and the Odyssey shout out, which is more than we've gotten in over a decade almost... we don't know where the future of K. Rool lies but I can say with confidence that we got Nintendo''s attention. No game series has been better at character revivals than Smash. Pit, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B hell id even say Megaman and Sonic.. it's possible we could see a similar situation with K. Rool. Nintendo waiting to see fan reaction if he gets in to really get an idea of the characters popularity and decide on his roles in future games

Also a side note I'd like to throw in... again I want to reiterate I want Dixie and K. Rool both and really expect to see both but lately I've been seeing a lot of speculation of Dixie getting in over K. Rool once again the argument coming down to recent relevance... I notice a lot of people site the Tropical Freeze port as reason for Dixie getting the spot but i was thinking... if Smash was in development around 2016 possibly 2015 was a TF port even common knowledge around Nintendo for that to be a deciding factor? Clearly we got TF trophies in Smash 4 so Sakurai was well aware of the game and yet Dixie was absent from Smash 4 it would seem Smash Wii U and 3DS would have been her best time.... after all, characters from games released around the same time managed to get in. So really the question I have is HOW good IS Dixie's chance of getting in smash at all at this point. She was in the Brawl data so was close, you would think her return to the series would have been the tipping point. All I'm saying is at this point i don't think Dixie or K. Rool have a leg up on one another at all. I'd say they're in the same boat, where as one character suffers from a lack of current appearance, the other has been passed over twice despite her current appearances.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Inklings were made a playable character after being a mii costume, I believe K. Rool will be as well.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Inklings were made a playable character after being a mii costume, I believe K. Rool will be as well.
Yes the Inklings got a mii costume but that's not why they are in the game. I mean by that logic Llyod is going to be in the next Smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yes the Inklings got a mii costume but that's not why they are in the game. I mean by that logic Llyod is going to be in the next Smash.
I'm fairly sure he isn't saying the Inklings got in *because* they had a Mii costume, just that it sets precedent that characters who had a Mii costume before became characters later. The Inklings obviously got in on all the other merits they had of course.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm fairly sure he isn't saying the Inklings got in *because* they had a Mii costume, just that it sets precedent that characters who had a Mii costume before became characters later. The Inklings obviously got in on all the other merits they had of course.
Well I was more saying the mii costume itself isn't a good indicator that K Rool will be playable

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I hope if K. Rool makes it in, he has kaptain and k roolenstein costumes. I just feel without them it will feel incomplete. Maybe khampion K. Rool as well.

To be fair I’m pretty sure this is everyone’s opinion though lol.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well I was more saying the mii costume itself isn't a good indicator that K Rool will be playable
No, you’re right, though at the very least, it shows he’s on Sakurai’s radar, and is frankly more K. Rool content than we’ve gotten in a decade, which as a rabid K. Rool fan I’m happy to eat up. He even used the RARE design for it, and honestly went above and beyond, which gives a good indicator that a playable K. Rool would be just as meticulously designed.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
No the Mii costume isn't a guarantee that K. Rool is in as a playable character. However it should be noted that the Inkling's and K. Rool specifically are the only first party characters that have original Mii costumes. Using assets not previously in Smash 4 or another Mii based game, this is only shared with a few 3rd party characters Geno, Haihachi, Monster Hunter, a couple Virtua Fighter character's and Lloyd.

Inkling's had to be given original costumes because they were brand new, but as many have asked including myself many times, why was K. Rool given special treatment when he has assets in the game already through his trophy. There's really no clear answer, but coincidentally the orange and blue inkling's have both been revealed which were the Mii costume's we got, it's a fare assumption K. Rool could see similar treatment..

We know Haihachi was at one point considered by Sakurai and Geno aswell for all we know some of the Mii costumes could have been heavy considerations and now Inkling's got in. The Mii costume in my opinion is a boon to Rools chances

Last edited:
Seems like it could go either way. This is his best chance yet, strange saying this about a 20+ year old character whose last appeaance was in 2008 but there ya go. I hope the Mii costume and K.Rool's role in one the most treasured Nintendo franchises ever leads to something, but it may not. There are heaps of variables and the lead up to and this next iteration of Smash is unprecedented, so I don't know what to think. I'm just enjoying the ride, taking things as they come and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

It's time like these that remind me of why I almost exclusively only post here.... geez man you try to tell people to keep their expectations in check and have a civil discussion and you get insulted..... the general board is too much... sorry for the small rant.

The Mii costume in my opinion is a boon to Rools chances
Unfortunately some people get very touchy and take things too seriously/literally and can't be reasonable whatsoever. Lots of neurotic posters in those parts from my experiences. We had the unfortunate pleasure of a few said people stinking this thread up some 15 odd pages back but thankfully those examples are few and far between and for the most part, people aren't hostile. It is the interwebz and all though!

Agree with the costume, the question is, will that + what he brings to the table as a character be enough?

We'll find out soon!

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I voted for him in the Smash Ballot, back in the day. Here's hoping enough of us did the same!

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0No1WPXWEis

Hey guys, it's lookin' a little dead in here. Maybe some late night David Wise covers are what you need.

Just discovered this wonderful YouTube channel, he nails pretty much every David Wise cover he attempts. Perfect music to prime ourselves for the reveal of the King.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think K. Rool's chances are pretty solid. I think the mii costume was Sakurai's way of seeing how popular he really is. There's no way he isn't aware of the fan demand. Especially in his home country of Japan. Honestly, his popularity in general has continued to increase even after the smash ballot. I think Sakurai and possibly Nintendo as a whole has finally been made aware of that and must have at least have him on their minds. So here's hoping we get a reveal at E3.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0No1WPXWEis

Hey guys, it's lookin' a little dead in here. Maybe some late night David Wise covers are what you need.

Just discovered this wonderful YouTube channel, he nails pretty much every David Wise cover he attempts. Perfect music to prime ourselves for the reveal of the King.
I don't know why, but this track is really good, and it makes me confident that my Kremlin King is in fine condition, and has a brighter future ahead of him, for some reason. I guess that's very good.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I don't know why, but this track is really good, and it makes me confident that my Kremlin King is in fine condition, and has a brighter future ahead of him, for some reason. I guess that's very good.
Just what I needed right now, so relaxing. I'm stressing over revising for exams.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here's something that I composed with MMD, just to hold us over for a bit...

Will this match-up come to pass?
K.Rool: "Hey! Hey Bowser, so good to see you, or anyone at all again, been really dark where I've been."
Bowser: "Uhm ... Sup? ... *Who was this guy again?*"

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm hopeful. I voted for him every day in the ballot days (once a day was allowed, right?) and I'm sure Sakurai is well aware of his immense popularity. We may very well see him in this game, maybe even at E3!

I'm going to set my expectation low, though. I don't want to get my hopes up.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Man it's been quite some time since I've been here.

Honestly, through Smash 4 speculation I was incredibly hopeful, but never really felt too secure on the King's chances. This time feels different though, between the ballot and the rumors and the fact that most people I see have him on their prediction roster to some capacity... I don't know. I don't want to expect anything and end up disappointed like the Ridley guys have been, but man I just can't shake this feeling like now is the time.

Anywho, it's a pleasure to be back with y'all! Can't help but hope we'll be celebrating here in a couple of days.

D

Deleted member

I have to be honest, out of all the newcomers i want that are plausible, i think K.Rool is the least likely (outside of Isaac who is a pipe dream at this point). Im not sure if his popularity will outshine his lack of relevance in Sakurai's eyes, but that i wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly I don't give a **** if K. Rool comes inn as a Retro pick at this point. I just want my King playable.

This Smash needs 2 things. King K. Rool and Ridley.

Edit: Also. K Rool being a "Retro" pick would be ironic.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Trying to keep calm and cool but its only a few days to E3 now and we at least find out some information for Smash. Hoping that includes a reveal for K. Rool but we'll see.

Saw this over on GamFAQs, I've never seen this render someone has done that I can remember :

k rool 2.jpg

I was always of the belief that a Paon version of K. Rool would be better but this has me questioning if a Rare version would actually fit quiet well now.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Trying to keep calm and cool but its only a few days to E3 now and we at least find out some information for Smash. Hoping that includes a reveal for K. Rool but we'll see.

Saw this over on GamFAQs, I've never seen this render someone has done that I can remember :

View attachment 147437

I was always of the belief that a Paon version of K. Rool would be better but this has me questioning if a Rare version would actually fit quiet well now.
To me it all depends on the art style. If this was Melee or Brawl I'd say that model used above would work really well. However I feel personally if Smash Switch uses the same art style of Wii U with the more cartoonish asthetics I say use a modern paon inspired design (just give K.Rool a tail). Granted I'd be happy as long as he is in the game as a playable character regardless.

Top Bottom