• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I kind of wonder if ROB fits the mold of a combined zoner/grappler better, as his projectiles are much more multipurpose and his reward off of a grab is likely higher.

I agree; K Rool feels in some sense like he's meant to use his projectiles more for trapping than zoning. Using the boomerang to force shield for grabs, using the blunderbuss to block movement options whilst threatening grabs, that sort of thing.
Regardless of whether we want to be firing his Blunderbuss wantonly or not, am I the only one who gets the feeling it will be hype whenever the cannonball itself hits an opponent? Much in the way it's kind of cool when any character with a charge projectile manages to devastate their opponents with that fully charged blast?

D

Deleted member

An up close character, with good long ranged attacks. Seems to be the way King K. Rool will play? Cool that sounds awesome.

Definetly will keep an eye on that.

And all the possible ways he plays for sure.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If anyone here plays or has played Pokken Tournament Deluxe, would it be fair to say Blastoise is the closest to how K. Rool is looking to play?
Blastoise focuses much more on zoning than K. Rool seemingly does, and I wouldn't really call either a grappler (until we see more of K. Rool, at least). Projectiles in Pokken aren't limited to special moves (some of Blastoise's normals involve using its jet streams as extensions of its limbs, similar to how Ridley uses fire for his forward Smash, heck both even have a similar ground stomp), and having a command grab doesn't necessarily mean he always wants to keep you within grabbing distance (the grab is more used for okizeme and set ups with other moves like Bubble, which in itself is like a trapping projectile so using both would be redundant).

The only real comparison I'd draw is both have the same status as Mighty Glacier (incredibly slow movement speed compared to others/the average, but hit very hard and have things like long reach, counters and superarmor to compensate), the somewhat similar cinematic supers, and both having matching color palettes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Blastoise focuses much more on zoning than K. Rool seemingly does, and I wouldn't really call either a grappler (until we see more of K. Rool, at least). Projectiles in Pokken aren't limited to special moves (some of Blastoise's normals involve using its jet streams as extensions of its limbs, similar to how Ridley uses fire for his forward Smash, heck both even have a similar ground stomp), and having a command grab doesn't necessarily mean he always wants to keep you within grabbing distance (the grab is more used for okizeme and set ups with other moves like Bubble, which in itself is like a trapping projectile so using both would be redundant).

The only real comparison I'd draw is both have the same status as Mighty Glacier (incredibly slow movement speed compared to others/the average, but hit very hard and have things like long reach, counters and superarmor to compensate), the somewhat similar cinematic supers, and both having matching color palettes.

Exactly how Blastoise plays is rather matchup-dependent. Against pure grapplers or plain close combat fighters it is like you say, he'll focus more on zoning and trying to keep them out as long as possible. But against pure zoners he'll only use projectiles to try and disrupt his opponent and create an opening to move in. Being a grappler doesn't necessarily mean you grab a lot, just that you have strong grab tools, and both Blastoise and K. Rool have highly damaging throws, as well as ones with special utility.

Kind of funny you bring Ridley's fsmash in a zoning discussion, since it seems to have less reach than most of his other moves.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
An up close character, with good long ranged attacks. Seems to be the way King K. Rool will play? Cool that sounds awesome.

Definetly will keep an eye on that.

And all the possible ways he plays for sure.
Both of his projectile options are slow. By nature, slow projectiles are traps instead of tools for winning projectile wars, especially if you can act while your opponent is reacting to them (which in the case of Krown, is the case). Blunderbuss has a lot to be confirmed before we can determine it's role, such as durability and if K Rool is locked into his suction move.

D

Deleted member

Sounds good that seems exactly as I would expect him. Will keep an eye on that.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Someone should make a video with K. Rool gameplay but replacing K. Rool's Smash voice with his DKC1-2 "voice", including the Kremling honk. I like DK64 within context but I feel like some of the sounds he makes sound too "human" and feel that the Kremling honk is a way better base to make a voice on.

I saw someone make a video with the Mario Sluggers voices but I think that voice is bad. Sounds way too much like Funky!

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm liking how he sounds but would not mind what you just described.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
At least we can all agree that Funky absolutely needs his real voice when he gets added to Smash. Animal sounds would NOT work with him.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Nah. I think that sounds too weak, sounds good for the Kritters.

I was talking about this one:

I think a "voice" based on that sound, with new similar sounds would be cool.

D

Deleted member

Oh yes you're right that's way better. And when you face him in the final battle in the original DKC he does make that sound.

Man yeah that would be perfect would love if he made a sound like that for a taught or when he takes damage.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So a user in the K. Rool Discord made this meme template a few weeks ago. . .

I decided to take advantage. Feel free to borrow it for memes of your own.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Funny you say that because the same guy who voices modern Funky voices Paon K.Rool as well.
It's kind of sad that only King K. Rool's Mario Super Sluggers voice clips are available to download at the Sounds Resource; a Donkey Kong Barrel Blast section doesn't even exist.

I will say that some of the Mario Super Sluggers voice clips could work with some of King K. Rool's actions.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
As someone who despises the animal voices, K.Rool with crocodile roars is surprisingly kind of bad***.

That said, I’m hoping for his canon game voice mod when the game releases.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Here's an fun hypothetical time waster: Imagine you were tasked with giving K. Rool a voice. K. Rool is confirmed some speaking roles for a new project and you have to give him a voice. Doesn't matter what the project is so I'll leave it to your imagination, be it a new game, cartoon, children's interactive edutainment book, etc., the choice is up to your imagination. For said project, who do you hire to voice King K. Rool? For me personally I'd have to pick someone British obviously to honor Rare, but you don't necessarily have to. It also doesn't have to be a specific voice actor or star if your not up on those types of things. An answer like "Someone like the original DKC cartoon" or describing what you'd like to hear would be fine. If such a thing were possible I think I would cast young John Cleese, but I'd have to check to see if he still sounds the same in his old age. Failing that I'd have to brush up on my British actors and study their voices and roles to make an informed decision.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Idk, Ben Kingsley maybe if he was into it and willing to really ham it up. Ideally the same guy who voiced the cartoon.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Here's an fun hypothetical time waster: Imagine you were tasked with giving K. Rool a voice. K. Rool is confirmed some speaking roles for a new project and you have to give him a voice. Doesn't matter what the project is so I'll leave it to your imagination, be it a new game, cartoon, children's interactive edutainment book, etc., the choice is up to your imagination. For said project, who do you hire to voice King K. Rool? For me personally I'd have to pick someone British obviously to honor Rare, but you don't necessarily have to. It also doesn't have to be a specific voice actor or star if your not up on those types of things. An answer like "Someone like the original DKC cartoon" or describing what you'd like to hear would be fine. If such a thing were possible I think I would cast young John Cleese, but I'd have to check to see if he still sounds the same in his old age. Failing that I'd have to brush up on my British actors and study their voices and roles to make an informed decision.
Whoever voiced him in DK64. Was it Kevin Bayliss or Grant Kirkhope? Idk but DK64 was so awesome IMO. Obviously update it using modern technology and maybe make it sound a little less stiff and robotic and we got ourselves a K.Rool!

StormC

Smash Hero
Whoever voiced him in DK64. Was it Kevin Bayliss or Grant Kirkhope? Idk but DK64 was so awesome IMO. Obviously update it using modern technology and maybe make it sound a little less stiff and robotic and we got ourselves a K.Rool!
It was Chris Sutherland. The original, raw voice clips were modified to create what we see in the game.

Last edited:

GigaRidley

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3298-5285
Switch FC
SW 7210-7639-6413
So, I went back and watched the K. Rool gameplay, and I noticed that when he sucks up the cannonball at this part, you can see some shines angling up when he shoots it back out. I know we've only seen him angling it up at this point, but this could mean you could angle it in multiple directions.

https://youtu.be/CBLnjibehdU?t=30

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
It's kind of sad that only King K. Rool's Mario Super Sluggers voice clips are available to download at the Sounds Resource; a Donkey Kong Barrel Blast section doesn't even exist.

I will say that some of the Mario Super Sluggers voice clips could work with some of King K. Rool's actions.
Honestly, I think modern K. Rool’s best work was in Jungle Climber...

https://youtu.be/CU_J4FhY-Fw

There is some good, some bad... I really like his “RHUHOY”. I do think it would be better with a filter over him, like they do with Bowser.

That said, interestingly, out of all of the reptile characters who make animal noises, I’d say K. Rool’s has the most personality. He could even laugh...which we don’t see Bowser or Ridley do yet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, I think modern K. Rool’s best work was in Jungle Climber...

https://youtu.be/CU_J4FhY-Fw

There is some good, some bad... I really like his “RHUHOY”. I do think it would be better with a filter over him, like they do with Bowser.

That said, interestingly, out of all of the reptile characters who make animal noises, I’d say K. Rool’s has the most personality. He could even laugh...which we don’t see Bowser or Ridley do yet.
Bowser laughs in Subspace Emissary, and Ridley has never laughed... ever. He's a professional that only takes time to gloat or torture when he's sure he has the upper hand.

Those memes are absolutely glorious.

Here's an fun hypothetical time waster: Imagine you were tasked with giving K. Rool a voice. K. Rool is confirmed some speaking roles for a new project and you have to give him a voice. Doesn't matter what the project is so I'll leave it to your imagination, be it a new game, cartoon, children's interactive edutainment book, etc., the choice is up to your imagination. For said project, who do you hire to voice King K. Rool?
My first thought was James Earl Jones.

His famous roles include the voice of Darth Vader in some of the Star Wars films and Mufasa in The Lion King.

His voice can be booming , intimidating, grisly, and/or classy. I think he would portray the K. Rool character well overall.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I kinda hope we get a song from the Donkey Kong Cartoon but that is a huge longshot but it would be so awesome
I've always thought that if my pipe dream of having Captain N join Smash ever comes to fruition, that would be the time for the Smash composers to acknowledge that Nintendo's history with cartoons and television exist, as do their songs, and add some new tracks accordingly. A few from the DKC show, the Kirby Right Back at Ya! theme (and the DKC theme too.). Anything from the Captain N OST itself if there's any memorable tracks, Do The Mario, etc.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Oh man, if I could watch Solid Snake beat the living snot out of Cloud Strife in Luigi's Mansion to the tune of "SWING YOUR ARMS FROM SIDE TO SIDE" I'd never play another game in my life.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oh man, if I could watch Solid Snake beat the living snot out of Cloud Strife in Luigi's Mansion to the tune of "SWING YOUR ARMS FROM SIDE TO SIDE" I'd never play another game in my life.
I've heard Japan gives great respect to the dead. Even if we entertain that "Do the Mario" is a track that any Smash composer at any time has ever thought about including, I wonder if the fact that Lou Albano is departed from us would deter them from using the song.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
It's funny because that's already looking like a real rough matchup for Snake.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I've heard Japan gives great respect to the dead. Even if we entertain that "Do the Mario" is a track that any Smash composer at any time has ever thought about including, I wonder if the fact that Lou Albano is departed from us would deter them from using the song.
They could add a little "In Tribute to Captain Lou Albano" somewhere in the credits as a form of respect to a man that played a small but memorable part of Nintendo history.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
I really wish K. Rool’s entrance animation was one of his taunts.. I want to have the ability to laugh in my opponent’s face... you know...getting in character.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I really wish K. Rool’s entrance animation was one of his taunts.. I want to have the ability to laugh in my opponent’s face... you know...getting in character.
I don't mind the part of the entrance where he literally just falls from the sky a la DKC1, however I kind of wish it came with the iconic barrel blast sound that he entered with in his boss fight in DKC1, not unlike how other characters have sound effects that accompany their entrances. I know a lot of people agree with this sentiment but if I have one minor complaint among a few nitpicks its' that I wish K. Rool incorporated more sounds from the original DKC trilogy.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Yeah, I would have loved for K. Rool to have the DKC trilogy SFX, but I expected him to have generic reptile noises. At least it's consistent for the DK franchise in Smash. Unlike a certain other reptilian king and his son.

Top Bottom