• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I don't put much stock in those. We had Omegas available in Smash 4 and barely anyone used em in competitive

The sad part is, Jungle Hijinx from Smash 4 would be a fantastic stage pick for hazardless, but it ain't part of the roster.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I just want literally one stage from DK that we can legally play on because the music is godlike and the stages are all banned.
Is Konga Falls, with stage hazard toggle being a thing, not legal?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Is it just me or is the Kongo Jungle waterfall stage a little hard to look at in terms of fighting? Maybe it was the video quality but the video with Snake vs K. Rool was hard to follow. People said a big thing affecting that was the effects like the smoke but I felt like the waterfall in the background was also interfering with readability.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The tiny stone outcropping is an obnoxious camping location against those lacking projectiles or strong air games.
Ah, right, the damn stones protruding out of the waterfall. Shame.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I went to the Best Buy Ultimate demo in Los Angeles yesterday. I just got my King of Krem shirt recently, and everyone there loved it! It's great to see that so many people are excited to try out King K. Rool when the game comes out, it makes the years of supporting him feel so worth it. I also thought it was intriguing that some children liked the King K. Rool shirt as well, since I could imagine that many of them did not even know who the kremling king was until just last month. I had a great time playing Ultimate as well, Ridley is a lot of fun to use. December can not get here sooner enough.

IMG_0583.JPG

D

Deleted member

Wish I could have tried, out one probably would have played Ridley and Inklingloads heh. Still game is close so I can wait, glad you had fun, and glad the kids and people are excited for King K. Rool. Good sign happy to hear it.

StormC

Smash Hero
If K. Rool was in the demo I might have made the hike to LA, but otherwise, if it's anything like Smash 4... I'd be in line five hours to play two minutes.

I can wait three more months.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If K. Rool was in the demo I might have made the hike to LA, but otherwise, if it's anything like Smash 4... I'd be in line five hours to play two minutes.

I can wait three more months.
I actually went to the Best Buy event in New York City, Broadway. Had to wait 2 1/2 hours for two matches. Played Ridley, and had fun, but while it was worth it, I wouldn't do it again.

In regards to K. Rool in a demo, yeah, I've resigned myself to the fact that throughout the entirety of the promotional campaign for Ultimate, there will be no publicly available demo that is anything beyond the E3 build. It's fine, I can wait for December 7.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Am I wrong or does K. Rool now keep his big eye open while keeping his normal eye closed a lot of the time in this game? How do you feel about that? It sort of emphasizes his big eye. I like it.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Am I wrong or does K. Rool now keep his big eye open while keeping his normal eye closed a lot of the time in this game? How do you feel about that? It sort of emphasizes his big eye. I like it.
I think it's excellent that they're holding on to that detail. Back when I was drawing K. Rool fanart, I always enjoyed the challenge of giving him a readable expression with only one eye to work with. They seemed to have done well with that here too!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
what really emphasizes his eye is his hit animation. I mean holy crocodile, it really bulges out, I love it!

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
what really emphasizes his eye is his hit animation. I mean holy crocodile, it really bulges out, I love it!
It also really bulges when he whiffs his grab! Looks hilarious, you can see both the anger and the confusion from how his pupil shrinks. It's great.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't put much stock in those. We had Omegas available in Smash 4 and barely anyone used em in competitive

The sad part is, Jungle Hijinx from Smash 4 would be a fantastic stage pick for hazardless, but it ain't part of the roster.
A thing to point out with regards to this is that Omega stages were not standardised in the previous games. They had varying blast zones and ledge mechanics to the point where some had subtle advantages - omega Wily Castle was better for anyone with a wall jump, for example - and people didn't choose them because of that. In the new game it's been explicitly stated that the layouts of omega and battlefield stages have been standardised so this is unlikely to be an issue.

I certainly intend to make good use of it, anyway.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
You know, all this box drama makes me that much more thankful that K. Rool was revealed this early. Imagine if he wasn't, and the only characters people would be speculating on were the ones Vergeben has known about.

StormC

Smash Hero
You know, all this box drama makes me that much more thankful that K. Rool was revealed this early. Imagine if he wasn't, and the only characters people would be speculating on were the ones Vergeben has known about.
This is why I'm taking all this stuff with a grain of salt. Vergeben had no idea K. Rool was in. Heck, his claims of a Square character would more or less invalidate the box theory.

Part of me thinks it's because some people had unrealistic expectations for this game. Many thought Sakurai was "joking" when he said there were not too many fighters, or that somehow we're going to get 5+ unique characters confirmed in the last few months. They have only themselves to blame for creating their own narrative and expecting unfair things from a game with over 70 characters already.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
You Kremling boys have been popping into the Isaac thread every now and then to give words of encouragement. Thanks a bunch! I exploded with hype when K Rool was revealed and plan to listen to Gangplank Galleon another 400 times before Dec 7th.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is why I'm taking all this stuff with a grain of salt. Vergeben had no idea K. Rool was in. Heck, his claims of a Square character would more or less invalidate the box theory.

Part of me thinks it's because some people had unrealistic expectations for this game. Many thought Sakurai was "joking" when he said there were not too many fighters, or that somehow we're going to get 5+ unique characters confirmed in the last few months. They have only themselves to blame for creating their own narrative and expecting unfair things from a game with over 70 characters already.
I wouldn't expect 100 newcomers for the base game, but if more than 10 newcomers was surpassed I'd be pleasantly surprised. The thing with the box theory is that for many people, it has shrunken their imagination and theorising to the point that they can't talk about anything but Ken and Incineroar now. That thing managed to do what Bayonetta did for Smash 4.

And even if there's just somehow a handful of character announcements left over two whole months, there's the possibility of DLC. Somehow that stopped existing for people and we're suddenly back in the days of Brawl speculation? Come on now.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't expect 100 newcomers for the base game, but if more than 10 newcomers was surpassed I'd be pleasantly surprised. The thing with the box theory is that for many people, it has shrunken their imagination and theorising to the point that they can't talk about anything but Ken and Incineroar now. That thing managed to do what Bayonetta did for Smash 4.

And even if there's just somehow a handful of character announcements left over two whole months, there's the possibility of DLC. Somehow that stopped existing for people and we're suddenly back in the days of Brawl speculation? Come on now.
As someone who doesn't believe in the box theory, I think we're only getting 2-3 more unique newcomers tops. I've seen people suggest we have half a dozen more coming, even though we've only had five announced up until now. Every Smash game people have obscenely high standards and they're never met. Sakurai tried to let people down gently this time by telling them to "not expect too many new challengers" and people flipped and took it to be part of some long trick or something... developing a roster of over 70 characters is seriously no mean feat.

It's dangerous to expect more than what is reasonable, I feel. I understand being disappointed that one's favorite didn't get in, but I think people have to also have realistic expectations to some extent so they don't hype themselves up over nothing. Character-wise, the biggest priorities for this game were Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool. Those characters were both popular in their own right and hailing from popular series. Those should be considered the mandatory characters and what people hoped and dreamed for - and we got them, and it's great!

It isn't like this game isn't already amazing or something. None of us could have dreamed of a roster like this during Brawl. But here's the simple truth:

Not everyone can get in.

If you were banking on a character to get in that wasn't those three (especially say, a random third party), and they don't make it... better luck next time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As someone who doesn't believe in the box theory, I think we're only getting 2-3 more unique newcomers tops. I've seen people suggest we have half a dozen more coming, even though we've only had five announced up until now. Every Smash game people have obscenely high standards and they're never met. Sakurai tried to let people down gently this time by telling them to "not expect too many new challengers" and people flipped and took it to be part of some long trick or something... developing a roster of over 70 characters is seriously no mean feat.

It's dangerous to expect more than what is reasonable, I feel. I understand being disappointed that one's favorite didn't get in, but I think people have to also have realistic expectations to some extent so they don't hype themselves up over nothing. Character-wise, the biggest priorities for this game were Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool. Those characters were both popular in their own right and hailing from popular series. Those should be considered the mandatory characters and what people hoped and dreamed for - and we got them, and it's great!

It isn't like this game isn't already amazing or something. None of us could have dreamed of a roster like this during Brawl. But here's the simple truth:

Not everyone can get in.

If you were banking on a character to get in that wasn't those three (especially say, a random third party), and they don't make it... better luck next time.
That's fine, but there does need a concrete announcement so that there's no shadow of a doubt about how many are left.

Sakurai did say "a few more characters" in the last Smash Direct. It seems to hint at a finite low amount of remaining newcomer announcements, but it's vague enough that you can't really pinpoint how many beyond maybe 4.

Though at this point it's irrelevant. After the initial E3 reveals, I just expected the amount of 10 newcomers in total (including Echoes), no more, no less. Which for me would leave me with only one left, after doing some math (Inkling+Ridley+Daisy+Chrom+Dark Samus+Simon+Richter+K. Rool+Isabelle=9). If the next amounts surpass that, cool then. But I'll still continue to temper expectations in the meantime, and try not to spend too much time on here.

Edit: Now granted, there would still be some more content to reveal beyond characters (e.g. trophies, All-Star), but I doubt Sakurai would get to Spirits yet, since it seems to be this huge secret.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Just creeping around to post a secondly reminder about your people having the best ****ing song in Smash history

D

Deleted member

Going to say goodbye now. Probably leaving after Super Smash Bros. Ultimate comes out even if there is DLC won't be coming back. It's been fun. Thanks for making me a huge Donkey Kong Country fan. I still don't much about the games and will always suck at them but thanks for making me like them.

I am happy to have supported King K. Roll and always will the crazed crocodile is part of my life always.

Anyway I had fun I can now main Mario, Link, and King K. Rool and be horrible with all three heh. Thanks for everything farewell.

Will still be posting till then just wanted to say this before then. Till then Smash hype is on for me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know it is kind of late, but here are some more lyrics I made for King K. Rool, plus Ridley and Simon.

Simon: *Does a dance and goes behind a door and comes back out of it* I'm gonna be in Smash!
I'm gonna be admired by many, no mystery
I'm gonna be a blast
You'll see me with the other Smash Brothers
Making every one of them burn and crash!

King K. Rool: I'm gonna be in Smash Brothers
Ridley: I'm gonna be in the game!
King K. Rool: I can't wait for my fans to pick me on the screen
I'll be flying around in a private plane

I can see it now
I'm smashing everyone
Won't even stop
Until the fight is done

Simon, King K. Rool and Ridley: I'm gonna be in Smash
A big fighting idol worship from afar
I'm gonna be in Smash
You're gonna play as me no matter who you are

King K. Rool: You'll see my face
On all game magazines
And at every big party
I'll be making a scene

I'm gonna be in Smash
As a big star-star-star!

What do you guys think?

EDIT: You know what this is based off of?

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I know it is kind of late, but here are some more lyrics I made for King K. Rool, plus Ridley and Simon.

Simon: *Does a dance and goes behind a door and comes back out of it* I'm gonna be in Smash!
I'm gonna be admired by many, no mystery
I'm gonna be a blast
You'll see me with the other Smash Brothers
Making every one of them burn and crash!

King K. Rool: I'm gonna be in Smash Brothers
Ridley: I'm gonna be in the game!
King K. Rool: I can't wait for my fans to pick me on the screen
I'll be flying around in a private plane

I can see it now
I'm smashing everyone
Won't even stop
Until the fight is done

I'm gonna be in Smash
You're gonna play as me no matter who you are

King K. Rool: You'll see my face
On all game magazines
And at every big party
I'll be making a scene

I'm gonna be in Smash
As a big star-star-star!

What do you guys think?

EDIT: You know what this is based off of?
Pretty sure that's based on the "I'm gonna be a star" song (or whatever it was called) from the DKC tv show. On the topic of the king, I'm becoming very anxious to play as him, really hoping there's a downloadable demo with him in it (would probably be the E3 demo though) because I finally got a Switch and now I'm just counting down the days until Smash arrives.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm so excited to play as King K. Rool too. I'm down for doing King K. Rool dittos with anyone that wants to upon the release of Ultimate, it would be very fun to celebrate his return with everyone.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm so excited to play as King K. Rool too. I'm down for doing King K. Rool dittos with anyone that wants to upon the release of Ultimate, it would be very fun to celebrate his return with everyone.
No better way to get better than to train with fellow kutthroats

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm so thankful that K. Rool was konfirmed back in August instead of later, especially amongst the Steve rumors.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
I'm so thankful that K. Rool was konfirmed back in August instead of later, especially amongst the Steve rumors.
Same here! I'm riding the hype train until the day this game and out and try to find a way to unlock him as fast as possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Heck, it'll be fun watching an insane crocodile monarch getting combo'd by a cute little dog secretary.
I kinda love how she stands out among a lot of the recent newcomers.
View attachment 164001
Isabelle really does look out of place when compared to all the other newcomers. Doesn't help that she's a pacifist, while everyone else looks like they can put up a fight.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Isabelle really does look out of place when compared to all the other newcomers. Doesn't help that she's a pacifist, while everyone else looks like they can put up a fight.
Does Daisy really look like someone that could put a fight?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does Daisy really look like someone that could put a fight?
Daisy does look tougher than Peach. It would probably be foolish to underestimate a princess who can intimidate her own teammates just by looking at them (refer to Mario Strikers Charged in this case).

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Daisy does look tougher than Peach. It would probably be foolish to underestimate a princess who can intimidate her own teammates just by looking at them (refer to Mario Strikers Charged in this case).
But everyone in Mario Striked Charged look like they could kill someone, I don't know if that really count imo. Especially since Daisy in Smash still wear a dress while fighting, which isn't exactly the best kind of outfit to fight with.

Not to say Daisy couldn't fight at all, but out of all the new character in Ultimate withotu counting Isabelle, I feel like she is the most "normal" of the bunch, you know here well.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Man, who is ready for something that will be very new for the K. Rool thread, tech discussion? We're going to be able to talk about the tricks and combos that our king has up his sleeve. Though I suppose the latter is already a thing with the fAir into cannonball that was in that gameplay video. We'll be able to talk about his best and worst match-ups too, as well as give each other tips and advice on how to play him better.

Top Bottom