• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
This leak is such an odd mix of stuff that seems truthful and the usual fanboy dream junk. It's hard to have a solid opinion on it.

Also add me as a supporter. I love the Donkey Kong Country games and I've been waiting for the king to join Smash for so long.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This leak is such an odd mix of stuff that seems truthful and the usual fanboy dream junk. It's hard to have a solid opinion on it.

Also add me as a supporter. I love the Donkey Kong Country games and I've been waiting for the king to join Smash for so long.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us!

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Man I love logging on and coming to this thread. Especially right now, due to this being the only place where my inbox isn't completely devoid of messages lol. Been having a hard time with social media lately. It's a ghost town. *is a completely ignored freak in 2018*

But back to Rool. I so desperately want this "leak?" to be true. As I said, I've been so let down by every Smash since Brawl. (Melee I actually enjoyed because all I wanted in Smash then was Bowser, and he made it in there). I'm scared to be invested into my King for this one. Yet at the same time, more and more signs point to him being in. And with you-know-who having made it, I'll be ticked if K. Rool isn't in just because of her.

I'd argue that the Ice Climbers got in despite being super irrelevant since NES, but they ARE Smash vets so my argument doesn't apply. But Rool... his fans, including myself, haven't given up on him and it shows. I'm just SO tired of seeing little piss-ants, particularly on GameFAQs, saying "K. ROOL SUPPORTERS ARE DOOMED LOUDMOUTHS!!! THEIR MOST-WANTED CHARACTER IS DED! WALUIGI OVER K. ROOL!" I'm worried because at this point only King K. Rool's fan-favourite status seems to be able to save him. Sakurai, thank goodness, seems aware of how bad we want him, and is that a good thing or not?

I'd just hate to be disappointed again because K. Rool hasn't been in a DK game in ages. But.... back to the IC's argument. They'd been dormant from the NES to Melee... But then again, their game is nowhere near the scale of the DK series.

That conspiracy theory about Bayonetta not being the real #1 in the ballot? I buy that... Nothing against Bayonetta, she seems really cool. But I wasn't happy when she was revealed as the last DLC. (again, not because I dislike her) That stuff about Nintendo / Sakurai knowing the Wii U was toast makes a lot of sense. I don't think even if there were no 3DS version that the Wii U game / console could have been saved.

I'm just not sure if I'm ready for a K. Rool deconfirmation. Emotionally prepared, you know?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If I recall, wasn't Mother 3 supposed to be 3D game on the Nintendo 64 before they decided to put it on the GBA? If that is the case, them making Mother 3D would be that much more cool if it is real.
I actually knew about this before. It was planned for the 64DD (Disk Drive), to be precise.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
If I recall, wasn't Mother 3 supposed to be 3D game on the Nintendo 64 before they decided to put it on the GBA? If that is the case, them making Mother 3D would be that much more cool if it is real.

Edit: Found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVqMlMfiGU
I actually knew about this before. It was planned for the 64DD (Disk Drive), to be precise.
From what I recall of MOTHER 3's development cycle, the both of you are right with the exception of one wrinkle: MOTHER 3 in its N64 incarnation actually got straight-up cancelled, before they later decided to restart development on the GBA.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
From what I recall of MOTHER 3's development cycle, the both of you are right with the exception of one wrinkle: MOTHER 3 in its N64 incarnation actually got straight-up cancelled, before they later decided to restart development on the GBA.
Yeah, I forgot to add the cancelled part for some reason. Silly me.

StormC

Smash Hero

Edit: Found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVqMlMfiGU
It's difficult to imagine MOTHER 3's strange, complex, heartrending story through primitive N64 graphics and presentation.

...then again, Majora's Mask.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's difficult to imagine MOTHER 3's strange, complex, heartrending story through primitive N64 graphics and presentation.

...then again, Majora's Mask.
That's why it would be so cool to see Mother 3D be real. It would be like what could have been, except it is our modern graphics instead of the N64. My two biggest questions for Mother 3D though are what would it's Earthbound(Earthbound 2: Electric Boogaloo) name be and is it a Switch or a 3Ds game?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Don't forget that Reggie made it quite apparent Nintendo is aware of the want of Mother 3...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ise_mother_3_and_make_another_animal_crossing

Nintendo has certainly been listening to fans more and more... just because they mention Mother 3D in a direct dosent mean it's coming this year... I think Nintendo is in a mini panic mode over their current stock situation... in fact it's possible that this direct info could have slipped early due to them quickly throwing a direct together to try and fix the situation.... that direct mini we got early in the year was full of info fast and it's not out of sorts to believe this one could be the same. Showing FF7 on screen and saying *coming to Nintendo Switch* like they did with Darksouls requires a minute of time and would get just as much hype and press.

While I'm currently covering myself in salt with this leak and I can see this stuff happening...

Square is taking Switch more seriously and two franchises like KH and FF getting big games on Switch is money.. especially in Japan.

Bethesda has been supporting Switch more and more it was a little off to me that Fallout Shelter is on Switch but no major Fallout game, I can see 76 coming to Switch it's built of Fallout 4's engine anyway and if Doom and Wolfenstien can run on Switch Fallout 4 can and if FO4 can Fallout 76 can. Same assets, same engine..

Cuphead is an indy title, it could have timed exclusivity to Xbox and now it could end up on Switch it's been asked for since it's release. MS and Nintendo have been playing real nice and I don't see an indy title being that big a consequence to them. They let Nintendo have Minecraft which is a MUCH bigger fish than Cuphead...

Overall I think this info is pretty crazy but I think it's a little more realistic than we think. Switch is getting bigger and bigger in sales and companies can see this... plus as much as it may seem small, Nintendo's willingness to do cross play is a boon right now. Sony is starting to hurt for it because Switch is being looked at as nice alternative console to have alongside your Xbox. If this direct was real it would show everyone that devs are taking it seriously and putting big name ports onto it. I think it's possible...

Then your throwing 2 HUGE Smash requests out there now so if people aren't swayed on Smash yet they will be. Any other character announcement will be seen as a bonus.. it doesn't matter when a character is announced once theyre shown hype is hype. If K. Rool and Dixie are shown this month it's only going to hype Smash more and get people talking about who's next.

StormC

Smash Hero
If K. Rool and Dixie are announced, who are the big hypsters left?

Banjo? Geno? Simon? Isaac? Characters that would get headlines everywhere. I guess it's feasible one or two of these gets shown...

Oh damn, I caught myself hoping again.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Banjo? Geno? Simon? Isaac? Characters that would get headlines everywhere. I guess it's feasible one or two of these gets shown...

Geno would be the only character left I would really root for

Though Banjo would be cool if he got in. I just don't expect it

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Banjo, while unlikely, is not as unfeasible now that Nintendo and Microsoft have been getting very buddy buddy. I can go on about Geno, but the short of it is that he would be a great Nintendo related Square rep and has a big cult following. Isaac also has a cult following, and it would nice to see the more unnoticed Nintendo Ip's be rewarded spots. I see Geno as the most likely of the 3, but I am rooting for the others as well. The King would also shed more light on these others as it would help support the idea that Ultimate is more about fan service and popularity than relevancy.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
K.rool is all i need. I want to stop being so stressed out at the fact that he should be in but there is absolutely guarantee he will be. It would be so nice to not have to deal with nay sayers and just be content knowing he is locked and loaded After him anything else is bonus but my personal wish list would be

Dixie with at the very least being a semi clone, most being her own character. One more kirby rep ((Though i dont believe we will get one, Bandana Dee, Gooey or Dark matter would be prefered)), and Geno.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

I don't think they're seeing hype levels like we are, after all were gonna be hyped out of our minds if K. Rool gets revealed but not everyone just like the Ridley reveal. Nintendo and Sakurai probably see any reveal as hype truthfully. So any characters past a theoretical K. Rool reveal would be seen as hype worthy

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think they're seeing hype levels like we are, after all were gonna hyped out of out minds if K. Rool gets revealed but not everyone just like the Ridley reveal. Nintendo and Sakurai probably see any reveal as hype truthfully. So any characters past a theoretical K. Rool reveal would be seen as hype worthy
Ridley crashed SmashBoards which hasn't happened since Sonic, so I do think he had a bit more universal appeal overall, in large part because of his legendary meme-ish status. K. Rool has always been a bit more in the background of Smash speculation until the ballot where he exploded.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Ridley crashed SmashBoards which hasn't happened since Sonic, so I do think he had a bit more universal appeal overall, in large part because of his legendary meme-ish status. K. Rool has always been a bit more in the background of Smash speculation until the ballot where he exploded.
Right but I'm just saying not EVERYONE was hyped when Ridley got in, there's plenty of fans who were indifferent towards his inclusion. My point is that I think Nintendo and Sakurai sort of see all these character reveals on equal ground..any of them can and will be hyped up when revealed. If K. Rool and Dixie get a reveal this month that probably means that riddle list is true. Then we know the remaining newcomer's and truthfully that list was pretty hype.. Haihachi would he a big announcement, Simon Belmont would be pretty big aswell. Isabelle would be pretty big too, the only luke warm reveals I can see off that list is Elma and Ashley. Ashley would cause a stir in Japan but here in the states the reaction would be meh, and Elma would probably be the most meh.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
They let Nintendo have Minecraft which is a MUCH bigger fish than Cuphead...
oh right thats a thing. man I should look into the story about how nintendo got minecraft. if minecraft is owned by microsoft that would seem like something impossible for them to get... wonder how that might effect banjo?

I am curious how other threads are reacting to this leak. I only know that the Ashley thread ain't buying it.
The Geno Thread hasn't even made mention of it as far as I've seen. I think we probably just didn't bother talking about it since it has nothing to do with Geno.

also please no Mother 3 spoilers guys (no clue if any were said, out of habit I stop reading a thing when it mentions it) But yeah Mother 3D would overshadow K. Rool for me if both were real. but I'm not gonna believe anything yet. still feels like a big hoax to me and I know better not to get my hopes up for Mother 3...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
ight but I'm just saying not EVERYONE was hyped when Ridley got in, there's plenty of fans who were indifferent towards his inclusion. My point is that I think Nintendo and Sakurai sort of see all these character reveals on equal ground..any of them can and will be hyped up when revealed. If K. Rool and Dixie get a reveal this month that probably means that riddle list is true. Then we know the remaining newcomer's and truthfully that list was pretty hype.. Haihachi would he a big announcement, Simon Belmont would be pretty big aswell. Isabelle would be pretty big too, the only luke warm reveals I can see off that list is Elma and Ashley. Ashley would cause a stir in Japan but here in the states the reaction would be meh, and Elma would probably be the most meh.
I agree mostly, but Ashley is the secound biggest newcomer thread on Smashboards, only behind the King of course. She seems to be building a lot more traction. On Smashboards at least, I can see Geno causing a bit of anger, as he does seem to be a bit controversial to most threads.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
The thing with Cuphead, Microsoft, and Nintendo is super interesting to me.* Cause, what does Microsoft get out of that? Like, Cuphead was a nice hit for them, especially in a time where they were desperate for some good, exclusive games. Obviously, more sales of the game means more money, but... doesn't it feel like they would want something from Nintendo as well? Like, yeah, they're buddy-buddy now since they are both on the opposite end of Sony, but are they really wanting to help each other out that much?

*If the leak turns out to be true, obviously.

oh right thats a thing. man I should look into the story about how nintendo got minecraft. if minecraft is owned by microsoft that would seem like something impossible for them to get... wonder how that might effect banjo?
Microsoft knows that the game sells to a younger audience. The Nintendo systems, as well as mobile, is the best place to have it. Plus, the game also released on Sony, their rival. They seem to want the money from game sales over the exclusivity with it.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Here's a new idea that hatched in my head.
K. Rool and Dixie reveal with Tiny Kong echoing her, straight from DK64.
Yah? Nyet?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The leak mentions a new Pokemon trailer that's supposed to air on the direct

Well, we already GOT a new trailer yesterday and it features most of the stuff that was supposedly new to the direct trailer.

Not to mention we have MORE info because the Japanese commercial showed that Jessie and James are in the game.

Why would they have a new trailer when not only one was just released, but it features most of the same info that we already know?

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
e thing with Cuphead, Microsoft, and Nintendo is super interesting to me.* Cause, what does Microsoft get out of that? Like, Cuphead wasTh a nice hit for them, especially in a time where they were desperate for some good, exclusive games. Obviously, more sales of the game means more money, but... doesn't it feel like they would want something from Nintendo as well? Like, yeah, they're buddy-buddy now since they are both on the opposite end of Sony, but are they really wanting to help each other out that much?

*If the leak turns out to be true, obviously.

Microsoft knows that the game sells to a younger audience. The Nintendo systems, as well as mobile, is the best place to have it. Plus, the game also released on Sony, their rival. They seem to want the money from game sales over the exclusivity with it.
Oh okay right because they still get money from the sales on other consoles. So they are basically acting as a third party publisher to the other consoles. and with the sheer amount of money minecraft can make it's probably still totally worth it to them to work with their opponents. the whole switch, Xbox cross play thing is still amazing in it's own right though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Well, we already GOT a new trailer yesterday and it features most of the stuff that was supposedly new to the direct trailer.

Not to mention we have MORE info because the Japanese commercial showed that Jessie and James are in the game.

Why would they have a new trailer when not only one was just released, but it features most of the same info that we already know?
That is interesting, because the leak specified we would see the 3rd gym, while the 1st and 2nd gyms were only shown just recently. So there is another point for the leak.

StormC

Smash Hero
Here's a new idea that hatched in my head.
K. Rool and Dixie reveal with Tiny Kong echoing her, straight from DK64.
Yah? Nyet?
Would be excessive (not sure how Tiny could imitate some of Dixie's animations like a ponytail grab) but I straight up would not care 'cause I'd be so happy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That is interesting, because the leak specified we would see the 3rd gym, while the 1st and 2nd gyms were only shown just recently. So there is another point for the leak.
Actually I just reread the leak and it says

Pallet Town, Lavender Town, Saffron City and Lt Surges Gym

Which haven't been shown.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Oh okay right because they still get money from the sales on other consoles. So they are basically acting as a third party publisher to the other consoles. and with the sheer amount of money minecraft can make it's probably still totally worth it to them to work with their opponents. the whole switch, Xbox cross play thing is still amazing in it's own right though.
That's my assumption, yeah. And I am pretty sure that it is cross-play with Xbox, Nintendo, PC, and even mobile. Just like Fortnite. Sony is keeping their players from being able to at the moment, but I have a feeling that the pressure will cause them to change their minds about that.

Anyway, staying with K. Rool... He's a character that I want simply because how many of you guys have wanted him for a decade. Hoping that he is revealed soon so I can celebrate with you! Come on leak!

StormC

Smash Hero
MS and Nintendo teaming up makes sense. They've already played nice before with Rare making GBA and DS games, and they hit completely different demos; Nintendo has a large kid audience obviously but also a hardcore dedicated group of 20-30 somethings. Xbox targets a similar age range but more casual-focused. While Sony does have a sizeable group of similarly hardcore 20-30 dedicated fans that competes more directly with Nintendo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We're just going to have to see. A direct with that much stuff is just absurd to me

If they had those many things going on they would have shown more at E3

Some of the stuff is crazy like Mother 3D

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman

That's why I doubt if they are in the game that they will be revealed so soon. While there is still a large number of popular characters left to choose from. There are very few first party characters with the demand of them. That's why I expect the next reveal is potentially going to be a joke character like Isabelle or the Chorus Men. Any widely popular/high demand first party characters or third party characters will come further down the line.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We're just going to have to see. A direct with that much stuff is just absurd to me

If they had those many things going on they would have shown more at E3

Some of the stuff is crazy like Mother 3D
Nintendo does not care to much about E3. Why unload everything in an enviroment so crowded with news when you can unload it all with no competition. Nintendo has made a tradition of mainly showing off one game for E3. They did it for BotW, they did it for super Mario odyssey, and they have done it again for Ultimate.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's why I doubt if they are in the game that they will be revealed so soon. While there is still a large number of popular characters left to choose from. There are very few first party characters with the demand of them. That's why I expect the next reveal is potentially going to be a joke character like Isabelle or the Chorus Men. Any widely popular/high demand first party characters or third party characters will come further down the line.
I don't think it would be a joke character necessarily but someone like Elma, a character not directly tied to fan demand. Or even someone like Ashley.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it would be a joke character necessarily but someone like Elma, a character not directly tied to fan demand. Or even someone like Ashley.
That's highly possible to. They seem to be pushing female characters again so I expect more female characters will be reveled at some point. I'm hoping for Pauline but very doubtful she will make it in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's highly possible to. They seem to be pushing female characters again so I expect more female characters will be reveled at some point. I'm hoping for Pauline but very doubtful she will make it in.
Pauline was seen in the background of the Mario trailer, but who knows? Maybe she has Alfonzo's number.

StormC

Smash Hero
I do think we'll get at least one female newcomer that is not an echo or with a male alt. Elma, Dixie, Ashley, take your pick.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

In all fairness Nintendo Directs repeat information all the time. They most recently did this with Pokemon at E3 this year where I don’t think they had any new information at all. That’s not saying this leak is real either, but Nintendo giving no new info or reminders about things in Directs isn’t exactly foreign.

Top Bottom