• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Well we have to consider the official ballot as well. (which we don't know the results of) Sakurai is clearly looking at worldwide results and not just Japan.

It's possible she was less popular in the west and that dragged her down.
Of course this poll was just a sample.
But Krystal is still popular, I think she did well on the ballot, not a smuch as K.Roll or Ridley, but still.
And yet she is deconfirmed...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well we have to consider the official ballot as well. (which we don't know the results of) Sakurai is clearly looking at worldwide results and not just Japan.

It's possible she was less popular in the west and that dragged her down.

I was literally about to say the same thing, the thing he may be looking for is characters who have a large chunk of votes through out multiple regions. Krystal probably underperformed in the west and Sakurai may have figured theres a higher priority character. I think it stands to reason here that in Sakurai's mind if Japanese fans get K. Rool they will have gotten their most wanted newcomer so Krystal missed out due to limited character spots available. I'd anything we should see Krystal missing out as more possible evidence in K. Rools favor.

I am sorry for Krystal fans though... I love Star Fox adventures. She deserved a spot

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Thinking back on the Mii costumes in the last game, I can definitely see Sakurai considering them as "consolation prizes" for popular characters. While not all Mii costumes represent popular characters there's a lot of evidence that Sakurai is now going to transition a lot of them into bigger roles this time around.

Like others said, Chrom, Geno, and King K. Rool have not been witnessed in the game in any capacity (at least so far). These three characters were popular in their own right. Chrom was left out because of his similarities to Ike despite being popular amongst Fire Emblem fans, Geno was a huge deal back in the Brawl days and was probably one of the most requested at the time, and K. Rool is obvious for us.

I know that there's some people saying that since he didn't get through in the last game that means to give up hope for this one. The facts are that literally only one character got made in the ballot, and it was a character that was both humanoid with a similar skeleton and from an insanely recent game. If there was a character like Bandanna Dee or something that also made it (who has a severely different skeleton) then I'd agree that would be something to be concerned about, but in the end the ballot wasn't actually that important to Smash 4. It was important for Nintendo as a whole.

A lot of the requests in the ballot led to a lot of different things in Nintendo games. Bandanna Dee, for instance, who was a popular request, got elevated to the same level as Meta Knight and King Dedede in Kirby: Star Allies. King K. Rool not only got the Mii costume but also got trademarked and got referenced in Mario Odyssey (even if it was an small detail). In fact, I bet the ballot even encouraged the idea of bringing everyone back. Snake and Wolf were insanely popular requests in the ballot doing consistently well in fan polls, and that probably partially encouraged the idea of bringing every character back.

So all I'm saying is that at this moment in time we are definitely in the best possible situation. I don't like saying this since I feel bad for a lot of the character fanbases but a lot of the frontrunner options for characters have gotten Assist Trophy status. So unless if the newcomers only are 3rd party characters (which I guess is possible) I can't imagine King K. Rool as not one of them. Literally the only thing holding K. Rool back at this point is an outright dislike for the character on the development team. Because if we're still at the point that he still isn't in the game even as an NPC then that's the only conceivable reason why.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I got my Ridley.

K Rool is the only first party character left that I've been asking for since 2005.

Cmon K Rool!!!

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I have scattered thoughts I might post later...I've been awake nearly 24 hours straight going to the Nintendo NYC store and standing in line for about five hours, first to get in and see the presentation and then to play the demo.

After that Ridley trailer, I never again want to hear people in the fanbase griping that "ohhh, announcing popular characters is so boring, they should do mostly surprises instead."

You don't get this kind of freakout with just any character. As a matter of fact, having even your highest expectations for a desired character blown out of the water might just be the best surprise you can get with this series.

And I think Sakurai's comments about the outcry for Ridley bode super well for his scaly comrade-in-speculation-arms being the next to elicit such hype.

The reactions were touching, you can feel the joy, the relief, and also guess the past suffering.
It gives me some echoes a K.Rool supporter.

What is going to be our slogan : not irrelevant ?
Well he will still probably be anyway.

Btw I think K.Rool varied looks really fit well with the concept of unlucking pletoria of costumes.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Btw... K. Rool in Smash aside... someone call Retro Studios and see if their ok because no one's seen them at E3 in like 6 years.... we didn't even get that rumored Star Fox Racing game.... another E3 presentation with no Retro studios game there..what is going on with that...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There's a LOT of people in japanese talking about K. ROOL ever since yesterday.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=キングクルール&src=typd

I can't read japanese but google translate suggests a lot are wondering where he is after Ridley was revealed.

Look at all the posts that mention K. Rool on our fellow DK fan from japan's page that he RT'd.

https://twitter.com/janglejapes
クルール K. Rool
キングクルール King K. Rool

Same with English and other languages too!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
There's a LOT of people in japanese talking about K. ROOL ever since yesterday.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=キングクルール&src=typd

I can't read japanese but google translate suggests a lot are wondering where he is after Ridley was revealed.

Look at all the posts that mention K. Rool on our fellow DK fan from japan's page that he RT'd.

https://twitter.com/janglejapes
クルール K. Rool
キングクルール King K. Rool

Same with English and other languages too!
I love it.
My translator makes it King Crew. Racist much translator?

Anywho, I'm so glad to see the Japanese people wanting King Crew as much as us !
K. Rool is when East and West ... And Europe meets each other.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Ridley has given us every reason to be optimistic. If Sakurai can walk back on a character he's said no to twice over the last ten years, how much harder of a sell can K. Rool be?

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
I'm pulling for you guys. With Ridley in, K. Rool is the last first-party character I want in the most, now that Waluigi has been set as an Assist trophy.

We need more villains. We need more DK reps. We need... K. Rool. And besides, the website says there's 66 characters, but we currently have 65. The hope is still alive.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I'm pulling for you guys. With Ridley in, K. Rool is the last first-party character I want in the most, now that Waluigi has been set as an Assist trophy.

We need more villains. We need more DK reps. We need... K. Rool. And besides, the website says there's 66 characters, but we currently have 65. The hope is still alive.
Actually we already have 66 characters. If you count Pokemon Trainer as 1 and make the Echo characters each have their own spot that's 66. I'm pretty sure the website will update with the appropriate number once the next character gets announced. So there isn't just one spot left (hopefully lol). I also seriously doubt that a game not out for 6 more months would reveal its entire roster on the first day of showing footage. For the most hype possible there has to be a decent amount of surprises along the way.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
lol the game isn't out for 6 months, as if there won't be more newcomers. Probably 3-5 unique is my guess, plus echo fighters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Seeing that both Snake AND Ridley were explicitly mentioned to have gotten in due to demand gives me some really high hopes for our Fearless Kremling Leader. Hopefully Ridley isn't the only newcomer they got in due to fan demand.

I got faith in King K. Rool. I don't think he'll miss out on Ultimate.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
With Ridley confirmed, I'm pretty sure that K. Roll is now the single most requested character now. Even if it doesn't happen in this game, his appearance in Smash Bros is simply a matter of when, not if.

To say he'll not appear in this game is a possibility that can't be ignored.

To say he'll never make it in any Smash Bros game is simply crazy talk.

Do I expect him to make it in Ultimate? Not sure. One can never predict the mind of Sakurai.
Agreed. Regardless of when it happens he's definitely going to be in smash eventually at this point.(honestly i'm satisfied with smash ultimate's roster so far with EVERYONE coming back and ridley confirmed alonsgside inkling this is honestly looking to be the single most well rounded roster yet that truly has something for everyone, k. rool being in would just make it perfect) K. rool does seem extremely likely for being the next newcomer though since when i think about it.. K.rool is the last "essential" nitendo icon left. we've got all the main nintendo heroes and now with wolf coming back and ridley finally being added after way too long we have most of the big nintendo villians, add in k.rool and we have the whole thing rounded out at last!

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. Regardless of when it happens he's definitely going to be in smash eventually at this point.(honestly i'm satisfied with smash ultimate's roster so far with EVERYONE coming back and ridley confirmed alonsgside inkling this is honestly looking to be the single most well rounded roster yet that truly has something for everyone, k. rool being in would just make it perfect) K. rool does seem extremely likely for being the next newcomer though since when i think about it.. K.rool is the last "essential" nitendo icon left. we've got all the main nintendo heroes and now with wolf coming back and ridley finally being added after way too long we have most of the big nintendo villians, add in k.rool and we have the whole thing rounded out at last!
Yeah, I'm actually hoping K.Rool is in, not the fact that it is K.Rool, but the fact that Smash Bros as a series is in desperate need of more playable villains. Of course, if he isn't in, then I legitimately cannot be disappointed by it, as the base roster now is a literal dream roster. That alone pretty much overrides any reason to be disappointed by certain characters not making it in.

With a character like K. Rool, and given his fan demand to be added in, I think the most logical thing would be to have a character like him announced at another big gaming event, like the Tokyo Game Show for example.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
No K. Rool would be a slight disappointment but between Ridley, Snake, and Wolf, for me there has been a very sufficient buffer for failure.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-fBA79z-4

Fast forward to 0:18. And I'm just going off of what other people were saying. I thought it sounded like the bonus room track from this first game too, but everything else I had seen claimed it was a remix from the third game.
Dixie Beat is a remix of the bonus room theme, so really we could say it's both.
The Bonus Room Blitz melody appears in four out of the five Country games, I'd say it's almost as iconic to the series as DK Island Swing is. That it went this long without a proper remix in Smash is just another gripe on the long list of "things that represent Donkey Kong Country and were thrown out in favor of more jungle level remixes"
edit: actually three out of the five i coulda sworn it was in tropical freeze. still, i'm mad it took this long

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If it really is Dixie Beat, which I'm not sure it is, that would be a sucky addition to add from DKC3.

Like picking the Bonus Song from DKC2 if you picked a DKC2 track.
Or the temple remix of jungle hijinx from Tropical Freeze.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Random thought; what if King K. Rool got in, but he was a semi-clone of Bowser (attacks not involving his shell or fire breath)? Would you be unhappy, or just thankful that he got in? I saw this question asked on another website, and was just curious what some of your thoughts might be.

I wouldn't really like it that much personally, but I would just be happy that he's in haha.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Glad he would be in the game, but he would just not really fit this way.
Not true to himself, which is a shame.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Although, I could see some of Bowser's moves working for King K. Rool, like his forward-air for example. Definitely would not be ideal though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Random thought; what if King K. Rool got in, but he was a semi-clone of Bowser (attacks not involving his shell or fire breath). Would you be unhappy, or just thankful that he got in? I saw this question asked on another website, and was just curious what some of your thoughts might be.

I wouldn't really like it that much personally, but I would just be happy that he's in haha.
That's impossible to happen because of the following

1 the crown throw or boxing glove throw

2 the blunderbust

3 the helipack

And probably the shockwave attack from 64

But I wouldn't be happy if king k rool was a semi clue status however a few of bowsers attacks are perfect for him

By the way based on how final smashes work in this game

I feel the final smash will be this
0:22

Basicly kind of similar to ridleys but dk island instead

Or similar to ness or lucas final smash but cannon balls instead

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Random thought; what if King K. Rool got in, but he was a semi-clone of Bowser (attacks not involving his shell or fire breath)? Would you be unhappy, or just thankful that he got in? I saw this question asked on another website, and was just curious what some of your thoughts might be.

I mean, it’s not THAT far-fetched; for stuff like aerials it’s fine imo where it fits. I could totally see his fair being that, and maybe the down-b being similar, but that’s where it’d end I think.

If K. Rool makes it, he’s no doubt making it because of the fans, so I don’t expect they’d half-ass him, since as we know, Sakurai is the only person to acknowledge Rare K. Rool in aeons.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
After seeing good old Ridley get in...I have much more Faith that K. Rool is going to make it in.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
With Ridley confirmed, I'm now committed to the Kremling King. Lets hope we can get both reptilian pirates into the roster like we've dreamed of for years!

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280

I'd be immensely dissapointed in the wasted potential especially after all these years of waiting, not gonna lie.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I still think there is a good slight chance for K. Rool being playable, and I'm still keeping my hopes up for it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Definatly a request I want

If king k rool makes it

Make a fan art of Ridley and king king rool together like pirates captured Dk And Samus kind of like that vote for k rool picture someone's made a while back

Top Bottom