• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
As someone mentioned before, if Dark Samus has a possibility of making it to the roster than it would be hugely controversial for a smaller franchise like Metroid to have 4 reps. DK has only 2 reps as of now, but I feel like its a given that at least one more rep will make the leap for the DK franchise. Since yesterday I've made the realization it could also be likely that both K. Rool and Dixie Kong make it in together. I don't know I just have this feeling that Sakurai knows of both K. Rool's and Dixie's popularity and he definitely wants to give all the DK fans a happy ending. I'm also saying this because there are a gazillion reasons now for both of their inclusions and anything can happen, so hopefully this installment is the golden shower for DK and Metroid just like Smash 4 was 4 Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Random thought; what if King K. Rool got in, but he was a semi-clone of Bowser (attacks not involving his shell or fire breath)? Would you be unhappy, or just thankful that he got in? I saw this question asked on another website, and was just curious what some of your thoughts might be.

I wouldn't really like it that much personally, but I would just be happy that he's in haha.
Like everyone else, I'd prefer a true newcomer.
But I'd take him as an echoe one.
It would basically means : you get a clone, or nohing, so I still prefer the clone.
And I would still be more than happy with it, it would not kill my hype at all, no disappointment as long as the King is playable.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hello fellow Kutthroats! It's been quite a long time since I've seen all you guys. It was thrilling seeing Ridley getting his dues after all these years and it was extremely disappointing that Waluigi got the Assist Trophy treatment again...

I'm very hopeful that K. Rool will be getting that grand entrance we've been waiting for. Now I want to see K. Rool twirling something on his finger sadistically taunting DK.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Further evidence that the number of Amiibo in the case mean nothing about the newcomers, the octoling Amiibo were shown today in the same sort of case as the Smash ones and had the same deal... a little sign on the empty stand with the Splatoon 2 logo. So it's a case of the display case having more stands than Amiibo it''s not meant to represent unannounced Amiibo figures.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I am happy to see Ridley actually made it due to "Western popularity/demand". What occasions are yet to come this year that could have our King possibly be revealed due to "Eastern popularity/demand'? Assuming Japan loves him even more than we already do, maybe it is fitting that he gets revealed directly to them. Any thoughts?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know... like others have said, I really have a feeling that Sakurai's "The End" joke that he made in the direct correlates to a foreshadowing of K.Rool eventually making it on the roster. It's a pretty iconic moment from the original DKC due to the feeling of having tricked the player into believing they had beat K. Rool before being surprised with an unexpected twist in him getting back up after the Kredits finished playing. Why else would have Sakurai done that besides the fact that he tends to be a massive troll about certain things?

Sure, there is a possibility we are looking too much into this particular moment, but I just have a feeling it means something...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm optimistic about K. Rool.

Was K.Rool in the Vergebond leak?
No, but tbh, I don't think Vergeben was fully right. He's gotten some things wrong before. One notable thing is how his source said no cuts, but how could they have missed everyone coming back?

Of course, Vergeben's leak was just a "this is all I know" sort of thing, but I'm really thinking that we're not getting Simon at this point.

Either way, I think K. Rool is in at this point in time.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There is something interesting to consider. Sakurai mentioned Ridley got in due to demand, but was that in regards to the ballot or in general?

I'm inclined to believe the former due to many undoubtedly giving up on Rids and not voting for him on the ballot, but if Sakurai's statement held weight in that manner, that is HUGE for K. Rool, as he undoubtedly surpassed his purple dragon counterpart in votes.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm guessing Sakurai was cognizant enough to realize that Ridley was hurt by his own comments but that people still liked the character a lot anyway. I think K. Rool outdid Ridley on the ballot, too.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Hooooly crap it's been a very long time, years in fact. Was a part of the ballot shenanigans, and have usually stayed quiet and delegated to Discord instead. Figured I'd pop back in, if only to lurk. I have a good feeling we'll be rewarded this time around.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Was K.Rool in the Vergebond leak?
Vergeben’s leak only mentioned no cuts, Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake and Simon Belmont; he was only listing characters his source was telling him and doesn’t actually know the full roster.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, how's everybody holding up over here? I've been busy celebrating on the Ridley board, but I remembered I should check back in with the board cheering for my #1 most wanted newcomer (Though Ridley was my second. Not close second though, K. Rool is by far my first hands down, especially now with Ridley out of the way). Well, I'll say don't lose hope yet. I personally doubt we've seen all the characters, and all things considered, Ridley's reveal probably does beat out K. Rools in terms of hype, so if they had to pick a character to reveal for E3, I'm not surprised Ridley was it after 17 years of waiting. I don't think Ridley's inclusion means K. Rools out, or even that they compete for the spot. I predict we still have a few character reveals to see in the six month wait for the game, and even then K. Rool might be a hidden unlockable, and even then we can push for DLC should the worst happen. It ain't over till the fat croc sings everybody! Keep the hope high as we wait for the other villainous reptile pirate to join the fray at long last.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't know what to think. I mean Sakurai definitely knows K. Rool is popular, he wouldn't have been acknowledged with an all new Mii suit if he wasn't. And Ridley getting in mostly because of fan demand is a good sign.

Still, I can't shake my usual cynicism, and keep imagining scenarios where Ridley was added also because he's been in recent games, not wanting to add two heavy villains, and even ridiculous things like them still believing Kaptain K. Rool is a separate character or that he wouldn't be distinct enough from Bowser.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't know what to think. I mean Sakurai definitely knows K. Rool is popular, he wouldn't have been acknowledged with an all new Mii suit if he wasn't. And Ridley getting in mostly because of fan demand is a good sign.

Still, I can't shake my usual cynicism, and keep imagining scenarios where Ridley was added also because he's been in recent games, not wanting to add two heavy villains, and even ridiculous things like them still believing Kaptain K. Rool is a separate character or that he wouldn't be distinct enough from Bowser.
True, there's always that level of cynicism. But thinking about it, almost any of those arguments and *many* more were leveraged at Ridley again and again. Even stuff like "lol Charizard clone".

If Sakurai's main goal this time is to make fans happy, I think demand is even more important than "what makes them unique". *That* was the mantra *last* game. Of course, that's an unsubstantiated supposition, but still, it's looking pretty decent for the King this time around.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Nobody?

Ok I'll be the one to point out this spectacularly minor detail. Clicking "Sort by Series" on the website gets you Mario first because ofc, followed by the DK series with a whopping two. I get that they're listing stuff in order and Dk goes back to mid 80's but whatever cruel master made this choice wanted people to see this weak sandwich of reps.
It's actually crazy.

Character numbers per franchise

Mario: 8
DK: 2
Zelda: 6
Metroid: 3
Kirby: 3
StarFox: 3
Pokemon: 7 (9 with individual Pokemon of PT)

FireEmblem: 6
Kid Icarus: 3

Come on, they can't be thinking this is okay.. DK is clearly missing something! Both K. Rool and Dixie hopefully. I could still see a double-reveal trailer.

But to be honest, with the few more newcomers message from Sakurai I'm not sure what to think. K. Rool still has a chance, but will he really make it? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm expecting a few more characters.. but I'm not sure if I'd expect 70.

Simon Belmont,
maybe a Pokemon (Decidueye - but I guess it would be possible as DLC as well?)
and then.. who knows. Maybe other fan favorites like Geno, K. Rool, ..
or an Arms character (could also be DLC)

Sakurai going for fan-demands and stuff makes me a bit hopeful, though. I can't say I wouldn't be happy with the new roster though. I'm glad many cut characters are back like Pokemon Trainer, Wolf and Snake, as well as keeping all the "current" characters we have in Smash4.
But if no DK newcomer makes it in there would still be a hole in my Smash-heart..

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's actually crazy.

Character numbers per franchise

Mario: 8
DK: 2
Zelda: 6
Metroid: 3
Kirby: 3
StarFox: 3
Pokemon: 7 (9 with individual Pokemon of PT)

FireEmblem: 6
Kid Icarus: 3

Come on, they can't be thinking this is okay.. DK is clearly missing something! Both K. Rool and Dixie hopefully. I could still see a double-reveal trailer.

But to be honest, with the few more newcomers message from Sakurai I'm not sure what to think. K. Rool still has a chance, but will he really make it? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm expecting a few more characters.. but I'm not sure if I'd expect 70.

Simon Belmont,
maybe a Pokemon (Decidueye - but I guess it would be possible as DLC as well?)
and then.. who knows. Maybe other fan favorites like Geno, K. Rool, ..
or an Arms character (could also be DLC)

Sakurai going for fan-demands and stuff makes me a bit hopeful, though. I can't say I wouldn't be happy with the new roster though. I'm glad many cut characters are back like Pokemon Trainer, Wolf and Snake, as well as keeping all the "current" characters we have in Smash4.
But if no DK newcomer makes it in there would still be a hole in my Smash-heart..
I'm feeling good about K. Rool this time around. Like, I've felt good about him before, but given the work Sakurai put into the Mii costume, and the continually-exploding popularity of the King worldwide, I think if it's ever his time, it's this time. The direction this time seems so focused on fan-pleasing, to the point where there's cameos *everywhere*.

I'm far more confident of a Xenoblade 2 rep than an Arms rep. Then again, no reason we couldn't have both. We have Sakurai on record talking about how much he loved XC2 though, and Rex+Pyra certainly have both popularity and interesting mechanics to build upon. So they'd still probably meet the criteria for being worth putting in to appease fans and make the game feel truly "Ultimate".

I assume you're not including Echoes in your numbers? I expect a few more, just because we know they take much less development time, and I don't think he would've gone through the trouble of rebranding just for three, one being new. It's also a good way to include fan favorites (Funky Kong DK anyone?) without taking much away, especially now that we can't complain about them taking Vet slots.

My current list of full newcomers is:

K. Rool
Ashley
Simon Belmont
Geno
Rex+Pyra

I dunno, I just think the time is right.

Echoes might be a bit longer, but not by much, but that's a different beast, won't list that here.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
You're right (Luigi player), and you're onto something here.

For example, the changes to Ness and Lucas' final smashes. They went out of their way to say "Look! It's Kumatora and Boney and Poo and Paula and Jeff is back!" which is so, so different from just not having them there or not mentioning it.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
That's impossible to happen because of the following

1 the crown throw or boxing glove throw

2 the blunderbust

3 the helipack

And probably the shockwave attack from 64

But I wouldn't be happy if king k rool was a semi clue status however a few of bowsers attacks are perfect for him

By the way based on how final smashes work in this game

I feel the final smash will be this
0:22

Basicly kind of similar to ridleys but dk island instead

Or similar to ness or lucas final smash but cannon balls instead
I was just thinking about this. Most people (me included) speculated that K. Rool would summon a barrage of cannon from the sky to attack his opponents. But now that final smashes are "straight to the point", it'd make a bit more sense to have him use the Blast-O-Matic.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
One of the things to consider is that we sre still missing some notable stages from the game like a Pirate Ship (albeit from WindWaker) and a few DK stages like the new one from Smash 4. Could be saved to show off new things with K. Rool if he is in.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hooooly crap it's been a very long time, years in fact. Was a part of the ballot shenanigans, and have usually stayed quiet and delegated to Discord instead. Figured I'd pop back in, if only to lurk. I have a good feeling we'll be rewarded this time around.
With Ridley finally playable after all these years

I feel this is the kings sign he might make it this time

Sakurai is probably focusing on the most wanted characters for smash bros instead of advertisement purpose characters

D

Deleted member

I'm not into predicting newcomers and I might be horribly wrong, but K. Rool feels almost inevitable to me.
Sakurai is really going all out trying to please the fanbase, and considering he's aware of K. Rool's popularity it seems like an obvious choice.
I don't think he will be the next reveal (I believe the leak so I'm predicting Simon Belmont will be revealed today), but we'll likely see him eventually. It's only a matter of time.

GeoBantra

Smash Rookie
Hi, everyone. Just wanna say real quick that though I am new here, I have actually been following the Kutthroats for awhile now, but with the new Smash on the rise I thought now is the time to show my support. King K. Rool is the only thing I want in this game in order to make it perfect, and I feel like his chances just keep getting better. So let us fight for the King, and NEVER assume that we have lost. Getting back when beaten down is the Kremling King's specialty, so should we not do the same? This is it, King K. Rool's finest hour or bust!!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
As someone mentioned before, if Dark Samus has a possibility of making it to the roster than it would be hugely controversial for a smaller franchise like Metroid to have 4 reps. DK has only 2 reps as of now, but I feel like its a given that at least one more rep will make the leap for the DK franchise. Since yesterday I've made the realization it could also be likely that both K. Rool and Dixie Kong make it in together. I don't know I just have this feeling that Sakurai knows of both K. Rool's and Dixie's popularity and he definitely wants to give all the DK fans a happy ending. I'm also saying this because there are a gazillion reasons now for both of their inclusions and anything can happen, so hopefully this installment is the golden shower for DK and Metroid just like Smash 4 was 4 Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.
Also Ike no longer has his Chrob alt and Robin's final Smash hasn't been shown, so Chrob will probably be an echo. Another FE character without a DK newcomer? I don't think so.

Hi, everyone. Just wanna say real quick that though I am new here, I have actually been following the Kutthroats for awhile now, but with the new Smash on the rise I thought now is the time to show my support. King K. Rool is the only thing I want in this game in order to make it perfect, and I feel like his chances just keep getting better. So let us fight for the King, and NEVER assume that we have lost. Getting back when beaten down is the Kremling King's specialty, so should we not do the same? This is it, King K. Rool's finest hour or bust!!
Welcome! You are now One of Us!

D

Deleted member

Also Ike no longer has his Chrob alt and Robin's final Smash hasn't been shown, so Chrob will probably be an echo. Another FE character without a DK newcomer? I don't think so.
That's not the mindset Sakurai has when he chooses newcomers

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Said it once, and now again, I won't expect a K.Rool reveal before we get to know about a next DKC game.

Ridley had stronger demand overal and showing him first makes sense. Yet K.Rool just needs that extra something that's gonna make his inclusion more logical. And that Retro "secret project" might just be the thing.

I'd hold out judgement for now. Sure the demand has been heard, wether it'll be answered is a second thing. But the odds SEEM TO BE in our favor this exact time.

We might actually need to learn to be like the Ridley fanbase. Be more loud and obnoxious and upfront about wanting our Obese Kremling Overlord in Smash. It seems to help this time.

Also keep in mind that it'd be suicide if Sakurai isn't gonna include DLC for this game. It was hugely succesful last time, and likely will be this time as well.

Let's just be optimistic, but let's keep the support going as well. How is that Kremling Kampain running for example? Would be wise to have such things yet again.

Random thought; what if King K. Rool got in, but he was a semi-clone of Bowser (attacks not involving his shell or fire breath)? Would you be unhappy, or just thankful that he got in? I saw this question asked on another website, and was just curious what some of your thoughts might be.

I wouldn't really like it that much personally, but I would just be happy that he's in haha.
Same here. I'd also be happy if he got in regardless of being a Bowser semi-clone. And honestly... it IS a possibility that K.Rool would be based a lot of Bowser.

The old Melee Koopa Klaw for example fits K.Rool extremely well. A Down B has always been a ground stomping move or something involving his weight in fan movesets. And Neutral B could even be outrightly stolen / borrowed from Bowser Jr.

For normals, honestly most of Bowser's moveset seem to fit K.Rool.

I wouldn't even be upset honestly.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If King K. Rool gets in then all series in the original starting roster of 64 will have a villain:
Mario & Yoshi - Bowser
DK - King K. Rool
Zelda - Ganondorf
Kirby - King Dedede
Star Fox - Wolf
Metroid - Ridley
Pokemon - Mewtwo

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
So I've been wondering about this, but does anyone think that there's a full model of K. Rool's Mii costume design in existence? I wonder if they actually fully redesigned his character, made the model (possibly even the skeleton) but scrapped him when working on other characters. I seriously doubt the team would overhaul his entire design JUST for a Mii costume when they had the assets from his trophy to work with just as easily (especially since the redesign featured a lot of Rare's elements). Since a lot of stuff is being carried over from Smash 4 him having a fully made model definitely increases his chances exponentially. I don't know, it's just food for thought, really.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So I've been wondering about this, but does anyone think that there's a full model of K. Rool's Mii costume design in existence? I wonder if they actually fully redesigned his character, made the model (possibly even the skeleton) but scrapped him when working on other characters. I seriously doubt the team would overhaul his entire design JUST for a Mii costume when they had the assets from his trophy to work with just as easily (especially since the redesign featured a lot of Rare's elements). Since a lot of stuff is being carried over from Smash 4 him having a fully made model definitely increases his chances exponentially. I don't know, it's just food for thought, really.

Something I've been thinking for some time now, when exactly did they start planning Smash Ultimate.

I'm of the opinion that Smash Ultimate was being planned around the time of the ballot. Nintendo knew the Wii U was tanking and I think it's about then that they asked Sakurai to work on the next game and the ballot was going to be used as a gimmick for DLC but also as a means to see possible newcomers for the next game in line. They planned from the start to use assets from the previous game as it would speed up development. I believe that some of the Mii costumes we got are from assets that were being made for Smash Ultimate.. think about it this SSBU is coming out this year the last DLC came out in 2016.. that's not a whole lot of dev time and look at how much of the game is done.... when the DLC was in its later half i absolutely believe they were drafting material for the new game.

With that in mind i believe K. Rools Mii costume was taken from a model they made for Smash Ultimate, same as the Inkling's and I believe we will see Geno as well

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I only really expect 1 or 2 more characters I just hope King K Rool gets in

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Something I've been thinking for some time now, when exactly did they start planning Smash Ultimate.

I'm of the opinion that Smash Ultimate was being planned around the time of the ballot. Nintendo knew the Wii U was tanking and I think it's about then that they asked Sakurai to work on the next game and the ballot was going to be used as a gimmick for DLC but also as a means to see possible newcomers for the next game in line. They planned from the start to use assets from the previous game as it would speed up development. I believe that some of the Mii costumes we got are from assets that were being made for Smash Ultimate.. think about it this SSBU is coming out this year the last DLC came out in 2016.. that's not a whole lot of dev time and look at how much of the game is done.... when the DLC was in its later half i absolutely believe they were drafting material for the new game.

With that in mind i believe K. Rools Mii costume was taken from a model they made for Smash Ultimate, same as the Inkling's and I believe we will see Geno as well
We know Sakurai's next project was already decided before development of Smash 4 DLC ended.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
If Ridley could be playable in smash ultimate so can K rool its time my boys also Dixie Kong too.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, there's naturally a lot of mixed feelings here, and that's understandable. There was a battle between two scaly beasts and Ridley got the cut, for now. However, rather than be discouraged, I personally think that King K. Rool's chances are better than ever as a candidate. Just look at all the flack Sakurai has given Ridley over the years, and in the end, he finally caved and added him. He made every excuse in the book to shut him out (made him into a stage hazard, teased Ridley fans, and even straight-up said he was too big on numerous occasions), but the fans continued to revolt and stand strong, and now there's a purple reptile in the SSBU roster.

We need to be the same so that there's a krowned reptile in the roster as well. Not of the Koopas, but of the Kremlings.

With Ridley out of the way, who is the next candidate by popularity? King K. Rool, that's who! Waluigi and Krystal have both been disconfirmed by this point (my condolences guys).

As for Sakurai's comment about there being less newcomers, all that means to me is that the newcomers he DOES plan to add will potentially be more unique. There may be a few more Echoes as well, but I don't think they are what Sakurai is talking about when he refers to having "a few more newcomers".

I'm honestly feeling more hopeful than ever for King K. Rool in SSBU. Seeing how much fan service and thought Sakurai has put into the game thus far, and seeing the widespread demand for K. Rool after Ridley's reveal from Westerners and Japanese fans alike is a very strong indicator for him in my book. With the amount of fan service we're seeing, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Dixie or Funky as well, even if they ended up being just Echoes.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Been a supporter of Ridley since the Brawl days, but now with his reveal I don’t have any more personal requests.

I haven’t played any DK games, but seeing the passion and the commitment this community has behind K. Rool makes me want to support him (especially since his and Ridley’s fan bases were close during Smash 4). So I sincerely hope K. Rool makes it in, he’s the only character I care about making it in now.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
If King K. Rool gets in then all series in the original starting roster of 64 will have a villain:
Mario & Yoshi - Bowser
DK - King K. Rool
Zelda - Ganondorf
Kirby - King Dedede
Star Fox - Wolf
Metroid - Ridley
Pokemon - Mewtwo
Never thought about this!? YOU ARE RIGHT.
Also, if the Roster starts off as the first 8. Then the tribute to N64 is stronger. Inkling where the first newcomer shown, to be N64.
Even with all those good things in the way for our King, I believe this 64 tribute might be a thing to end them all. K. Rool is more than likely now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I only really expect 1 or 2 more characters I just hope King K Rool gets in
But if that's true, what is the point of withholding those 2 newcomers? Unless you don't count Echoes as total new characters, which it seems to be cause they treat Daisy as a new character.

Good to see you back tho homey!

StormC

Smash Hero
My belief has always been that Ridley is the only character who could be revealed at E3 that would not diminish K. Rool's chances - if anything, increase them.

K. Rool's chances are better than ever, especially with the onslaught of Assist Trophies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My belief has always been that Ridley is the only character who could be revealed at E3 that would not diminish K. Rool's chances - if anything, increase them.

K. Rool's chances are better than ever, especially with the onslaught of Assist Trophies.
Also the fact they went all the way to include Krystal in her Star Fox Adventures attire seems to hint at more Rare-created content?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yes, Krystal is a good omen I think. If Krystal got in as an AT , an irrelevant Rare-created but fan favorite whose support is much smaller than K. Rool, they're going all out with representing fan favorite characters in some way. And yet K. Rool and Dixie are missing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, Krystal is a good omen I think. If Krystal get in , an irrelevant Rare-created but fan favorite whose support is much smaller than K. Rool, they're going all out. And yet K. Rool and Dixie are missing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Krystal is an Assist Trophy though.

Top Bottom