• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
I believe my first experience with K. Rool was playing my cousin's version of DKC when I was around 6. I had DKC1 and DKC2 as a little kid, but I couldn't get very far in them until I was a bit older. Whenever I went to my cousin's house, he had a lot of the same games I did, but completed, so I would sample later levels in them. In DKC1 I ran into K. Rool himself and started fighting him. I seemed to be doing okay... until the Kredits rolled and I got jebaited.

On my own I beat DKC2 soon after, even DKC3, but I couldn't beat DKC1 on my own until I was older, as Gorilla Glacier was brutal.

Last edited:

Shenron 97

Smash Rookie
Hey you guys!
I was a long stalker on this forum, and you guys convinced me to back for K. Rool back during the ballot days. I know this is late, but it's so surreal that King k. Rool is finally in smash. In two weeks it will be our finest hour!

Supalji

Smash Rookie
Went to the Mall of America for 2 days & king k rool seem to be the most pick newcomer. I had to play my mains to test them out, but he is next on my list. When I watch gameplay of him its unreal he looks perfect in smash. It's like he was always there or meant to be there.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Since the original DKC is 24 years old today, this goes the same for our beloved Kommander :ultkrool:! Happy birthday to one of my favorite villains in gaming! It still feels surreal that he's in, I'll only believe it when I actually get to play as him for the first time! And here's to another congrats to all my fellow Kampaigners who brought him back from the dead!
Ah I'm as old as K.Rool, Diddy Kong, and DKC. We all share the same age. Takes me back....

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I wonder if with the addition of WoL Mode if there will be the more traditional way to unlock the fighters? A Nintendo rep apparently told someone (forget who now, but they were a previewer) that it'd take "roughly 2 hours to unlock them all".

I'm convinced that if that is true (which it likely isn't, but maybe), then we can probably guess that Smash > Stock > SD over and over > get everyone shenanigans is still a thing. This is because given how long it took many of the players to unlock the first 3 or so characters, I highly doubt that WoL is only a few hours long.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if with the addition of WoL Mode if there will be the more traditional way to unlock the fighters? A Nintendo rep apparently told someone (forget who now, but they were a previewer) that it'd take "roughly 2 hours to unlock them all".

I'm convinced that if that is true (which it likely isn't, but maybe), then we can probably guess that Smash > Stock > SD over and over > get everyone shenanigans is still a thing. This is because given how long it took many of the players to unlock the first 3 or so characters, I highly doubt that WoL is only a few hours long.
I'm sure it's not massive. How many events can be in it? The gameplay we've seen shows that opponents can be taken out fairly quickly as well. I'm not expecting anything longer than a 4 hour playthrough to be honest.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Since it`s the 24th Anniversary of :ultkrool:, I want to ask you guys a question. I`m sure it has already been discussed in this board before, but what were your first memories with the Kremling King? :)
Strangely enough, I got to know our Kommander :ultkrool: through Barrel Blast of all games (as I wasn't even born when the original DKC trilogy came out...). Eventually during the early Sm4sh speculation days I came across all the online talk surrounding him, which prompted me to play the SNES DKC trilogy on the Wii's VC. Then, you know what follows, K. Rool's intricately designed boss fights made me fall in love with the character. So much that he got on the same level as Rayman as my most wanted Smash newcomer. From this moment onwards, I silently hoped for him as well as Rayman, Bowser Jr., Pac-Man and Skull Kid while watching the Sm4sh speculation scene from the sidelines.

Fast forward to early April 2015. While I was satisfied that 2 of my most wanted newcomers got into Sm4sh (:ultbowserjr:and:ultpacman:), I was still hoping for my two most wanted characters' inclusion (K. Rool and Rayman) as well as for Wolf's return. I voted for all three of them on the ballot, hoping that my votes would be meaningful enough. But deep down, I was more worried for :ultkrool:'s chances because of his then-hiatus, than for Wolf who was hands down the most supported cut veteran or for Rayman who had the relevance argument on his side, not to mention Nintendo's good relationship with Ubisoft, plus the Rayman trophies in Sm4sh, plus the Artsy Omni leak... But, even though I didn't have any sort of presence whatsoever on the Internet at the time, I saw that a humongous amount of voices had made themselves heard. Though that hope seemed to shatter when Bayonetta was deemed "Ballot winner" later this year...

When Smash Ultimate eventually got teased in March earlier this year, I wasn't confident at all... until E3 came, and the big blowout of "Everyone is Here" coupled with Ridley's inclusion made it clear that Sakurai was adding a heavy layer of fanservice to this entry. Hope had been rekindled...
August eventually came, and so did the Smash Direct. As to not feel disappointed, I told myself not to expect anything in particular. And boy, was this a ride. All these cool new characters, modes, stages, etc blew me away.

But my body clearly wasn't ready for what came next....
Sakurai's speaking fades away. Heavy footstep effects can be felt. My heart starts pounding like I'm running a marathon.

And then... the trailer begins.

I immediately realize. From the very first millisecond of it, where Mario is depicted fighting against Bowser, my subconscious instantly comes to the conclusion that every villain in Smash will be shown in the same way, only to reveal :ultkrool:at the end. I was correct. When I finally see DK yawning, I know that we Kampaigners had won what seemed like the battle of our lives. I then start going full apesh*t, completely oblivious to the concerned looks of my family, since I was watching the Direct in a hotel room...
I finally see K. Rool in action, complete with all these amazing references throughout his moveset. I start tearing up, impressed by the fact that we fans essentially brought him back from the dead to immortalize him forever as a Nintendo All-Star.

Sorry for seemingly over-dramatizing the whole thing... except that it is not dramatized at all.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Strangely enough, I got to know our Kommander :ultkrool: through Barrel Blast of all games (as I wasn't even born when the original DKC trilogy came out...). Eventually during the early Sm4sh speculation days I came across all the online talk surrounding him, which prompted me to play the SNES DKC trilogy on the Wii's VC. Then, you know what follows, K. Rool's intricately designed boss fights made me fall in love with the character. So much that he got on the same level as Rayman as my most wanted Smash newcomer. From this moment onwards, I silently hoped for him as well as Rayman, Bowser Jr., Pac-Man and Skull Kid while watching the Sm4sh speculation scene from the sidelines.

Fast forward to early April 2015. While I was satisfied that 2 of my most wanted newcomers got into Sm4sh (:ultbowserjr:and:ultpacman:), I was still hoping for my two most wanted characters' inclusion (K. Rool and Rayman) as well as for Wolf's return. I voted for all three of them on the ballot, hoping that my votes would be meaningful enough. But deep down, I was more worried for :ultkrool:'s chances because of his then-hiatus, than for Wolf who was hands down the most supported cut veteran or for Rayman who had the relevance argument on his side, not to mention Nintendo's good relationship with Ubisoft, plus the Rayman trophies in Sm4sh, plus the Artsy Omni leak... But, even though I didn't have any sort of presence whatsoever on the Internet at the time, I saw that a humongous amount of voices had made themselves heard. Though that hope seemed to shatter when Bayonetta was deemed "Ballot winner" later this year...

When Smash Ultimate eventually got teased in March earlier this year, I wasn't confident at all... until E3 came, and the big blowout of "Everyone is Here" coupled with Ridley's inclusion made it clear that Sakurai was adding a heavy layer of fanservice to this entry. Hope had been rekindled...
August eventually came, and so did the Smash Direct. As to not feel disappointed, I told myself not to expect anything in particular. And boy, was this a ride. All these cool new characters, modes, stages, etc blew me away.

But my body clearly wasn't ready for what came next....
Sakurai's speaking fades away. Heavy footstep effects can be felt. My heart starts pounding like I'm running a marathon.

And then... the trailer begins.

I immediately realize. From the very first millisecond of it, where Mario is depicted fighting against Bowser, my subconscious instantly comes to the conclusion that every villain in Smash will be shown in the same way, only to reveal :ultkrool:at the end. I was correct. When I finally see DK yawning, I know that we Kampaigners had won what seemed like the battle of our lives. I then start going full apesh*t, completely oblivious to the concerned looks of my family, since I was watching the Direct in a hotel room...
I finally see K. Rool in action, complete with all these amazing references throughout his moveset. I start tearing up, impressed by the fact that we fans essentially brought him back from the dead to immortalize him forever as a Nintendo All-Star.

Sorry for seemingly over-dramatizing the whole thing... except that it is not dramatized at all.
Yo it`s all good my guy. ;)

King K Rool was my most highly requested Nintendo character to be in Smash Ultimate, and he finally happened. Rayman is now my most highly requested out of any character (he was actually the one I voted for the ballot). I wanted another Sonic character to join the roster, but the most popular character other than Sonic got AT'd, which really makes me doubt of the Sonic franchise having new content for the third time in a row (which really angers me). There's not a lot of characters that I truly want in Smash, but Rayman is now the only one missing for me for the roster to be truly complete. :)

Gonna enjoy our Kremling King by the meantime in about two weeks. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo it`s all good my guy. ;)

King K Rool was my most highly requested Nintendo character to be in Smash Ultimate, and he finally happened. Rayman is now my most highly requested out of any character (he was actually the one I voted for the ballot). I wanted another Sonic character to join the roster, but the most popular character other than Sonic got AT'd, which really makes me doubt of the Sonic franchise having new content for the third time in a row (which really angers me). There's not a lot of characters that I truly want in Smash, but Rayman is now the only one missing for me for the roster to be truly complete. :)

Gonna enjoy our Kremling King by the meantime in about two weeks. ;)
After that little stunt Sakurai pulled in WOL, I think they'll be more willing to play ball for Sonic by Smash 6.

In the meantime, I would also love to see Rayman in there. If not, I hope somebody equally as good will be forthcoming. Regardless of anything, I know I will have fun with Rool. :smash:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Lots of Donkey Kong anniversaries in these few days in November! Yesterday was DKC2's 23rd, today was DKC's 24th, DKCR's 8th, and DKR's 21st, and tomorrow is DKC3's 22nd and DK64's 19th.
Insane week for this series. The only odd one out is Tropical Freeze, due to its delay.
Mayyyybe we'll see something in a year's time for DKC's 25th...?

Kulty

Smash Ace
After that little stunt Sakurai pulled in WOL, I think they'll be more willing to play ball for Sonic by Smash 6.

In the meantime, I would also love to see Rayman in there. If not, I hope somebody equally as good will be forthcoming. Regardless of anything, I know I will have fun with Rool. :smash:
Yeah. A bit off topic, but I`m just sad that I don't like Sonic in Smash as much as I would like him to be. Not to discredit Sakurai and his dev team, but I think the Sonic series is among the most poorly represented franchises in the Smash series. I prefer to play characters that feel so close to their original source material and feel like you`re playing the actual character, but Sonic just doesn't do it justice. Look at what they did with our:ultkrool:. There's so much love and care put into this fighter, and I LOVE THE DEV TEAM FOR THIS. Such a shame they can`t do that to Sonic. :(

My apologies for that, but my point is that I love when the dev team puts so much effort into representing a fighter based on their original source material. It like makes you want that character even more. :D

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Alright boys. DKC1 had a King on a Pirate Ship, DKC2 had a Kaptain on an airship, DKC3 had a scientist in a castle.

What's K Rool's next dressup/locale combo for the next DKC game?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. A bit off topic, but I`m just sad that I don't like Sonic in Smash as much as I would like him to be. Not to discredit Sakurai and his dev team, but I think the Sonic series is among the most poorly represented franchises in the Smash series. I prefer to play characters that feel so close to their original source material and feel like you`re playing the actual character, but Sonic just doesn't do it justice. Look at what they did with our:ultkrool:. There's so much love and care put into this fighter, and I LOVE THE DEV TEAM FOR THIS. Such a shame they can`t do that to Sonic. :(

My apologies for that, but my point is that I love when the dev team puts so much effort into representing a fighter based on their original source material. It like makes you want that character even more. :D
Brawl was pretty much the "victim of circumstances" batch of characters, seeing as Meta Knight didn't get much of his signature moves, Sonic was added at the last minute (points for sneaking in a Fighters move or two though), Snake only was allowed to use explosives, and Wario barely got anything from either Land or Ware while somehow being a weird Game & Watch wannabe.

Regardless, I don't mind either, which makes me appreciate it all the more when the devs DO have legroom to give characters some love.

Alright boys. DKC1 had a King on a Pirate Ship, DKC2 had a Kaptain on an airship, DKC3 had a scientist in a castle.

What's K Rool's next dressup/locale combo for the next DKC game?
Roman emperor in a coliseum, gotta go full-on Caligula.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think you guys have pretty much heard about the new footage floating around, but I still wonder where King K Rool is located in WoL Map. We just have to find the optimal path to save him since after you rescue:ultmario:, you have the choice to save:ultmarth::ultsheik::ultvillager:. It's honestly really hard to tell since we only know that on Villager's path, you unlock:ultfalcon:(from what I heard) and :ultmiifighters:(Swordfighter) on the Sheik pathway. I don`t know who you unlock in Marth's pathway.
My thoughts are that I want to know how to get to KKR as fast as friggin' possible so I really hope we get this info before launch.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
A little late to this topic but hey, on the topic of K. Rool's counter, it may have to be used almost exclusively as a reflect. As already noted, in competitive counters aren't commonly used to escape pressure, and in K. Rool's case, to actually counter an attack you'll have to use a hard read where you're confident the opponent is about to hit K. Rool's belly (never thought I'd have to type that.). If the opponent reads the counter, they don't even have to wait until the counter is over to punish. Some characters can almost certainly short hop/full jump over the counter to fair/bair K. Rool's face for a punish, since his counter doesn't cover his whole body like most counters do. Alternately it's possible low dtilts could hit his feet and punish the counter. That will need some labbing. Worst case scenario some characters could in theory full hop over K. Rool and hit him with a powerful dair on his head while he's stuck in counter state. Again, that will probably also need testing to see if there's enough time for that to be viable in practice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sure it's not massive. How many events can be in it? The gameplay we've seen shows that opponents can be taken out fairly quickly as well. I'm not expecting anything longer than a 4 hour playthrough to be honest.
The Primary Spirit's class could influence the difficulty of your opponents though. Against Novice class Spirits, you won't see much resistance, but don't expect the same kind of treatment against a fighter who has a Legend class Spirit, as I have a feeling that fighters with such Spirits will be set to very hard difficulty levels.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Longtime K Rool supporters, I have a question.

What was the lowest point in your campaign to get King K Rool in Smash? Where you, for a moment, believed that Nintendo would stow him in some cupboard away forever, and never give him the glory he deserves?

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet

What was the lowest point in your campaign to get King K Rool in Smash? Where you, for a moment, believed that Nintendo would stow him in some cupboard away forever, and never give him the glory he deserves?
Mii costume. At that point I thought that Nintendo was forever going to sideline the king to cameo appearances and small references.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

I was one of the pessimistic supporters later on. The K.Rool haters got to me "He's too fat and ugly", "Bowser knock-off!", "he's IRRELEVANT!", "he's owned by Microsoft" well that last one wasn't more of hate per se but either being INCREDIBLY stupid and uninformed or people trolling. A few months before his reveal in August I had kinda given up hope saying "Sakurai and Nintendo don't give two ****s about this character. We'd probably get Black Knight from Fire Emblem before we get K.Rool, K.Rool will NEVER get the respect he deserves" Obviously I was DEAD wrong Black Knight becoming an assist trophy (though I wouldn't have minded if he was playable), and K.Rool was added with a ton of love in some areas like mixing his Paon design with his Rare design which I always thought was for the best, that awesome Gangplank Galleon remix and the HOST of other DKC music coming to the game, having moves that reference DKC, DKC2, DKC3, DK64, and DK Land and alts that reference other Kremling members. Of course I have some nitpicks like I'm not feeling his taunts that much seem kinda generic, his Palutena Guidance is incredibly lazy and misinformed. When I look at Ridley's Guidance it's chock full of references to him as a character and all his appearances where as K.Rool's is so basic "He's the leader of the Kremlings" and then they ramble about banana's for 2 minutes. When they had SO much to work with. While yeah it's an easter egg most people won't see/know about it still kinda sucks that people who don't know about K.Rool and see this guidance will think he has no personality, characteristics, or traits and won't learn about any of his appearances.

In the end though I think Sakurai did a really good job bringing him back and all I can hope now is that K.Rool's future is actually looking bright. Hopefully if he appears in more future games it finally silence the K.Rool haters as honestly I'm sick of hearing/reading it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
A little late to this topic but hey, on the topic of K. Rool's counter, it may have to be used almost exclusively as a reflect. As already noted, in competitive counters aren't commonly used to escape pressure, and in K. Rool's case, to actually counter an attack you'll have to use a hard read where you're confident the opponent is about to hit K. Rool's belly (never thought I'd have to type that.). If the opponent reads the counter, they don't even have to wait until the counter is over to punish. Some characters can almost certainly short hop/full jump over the counter to fair/bair K. Rool's face for a punish, since his counter doesn't cover his whole body like most counters do. Alternately it's possible low dtilts could hit his feet and punish the counter. That will need some labbing. Worst case scenario some characters could in theory full hop over K. Rool and hit him with a powerful dair on his head while he's stuck in counter state. Again, that will probably also need testing to see if there's enough time for that to be viable in practice.
Yeah, it's KKR's pressure-escaping nair which is going to be our real best friend there.

But our boy Keith is going to absolutely **** horizontal recoveries with hitboxes...like DK's and possibly Diddy's if he's coming in at an angle. Also Bayo will need to witch twist horizontally at some point, which can be caught. Ridley, coming in from the side, Wolf's side+B, Wario's motorcycle...

We should start compiling a list of horizontal recovery hitboxes we should be trying to intercept and counter.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A WILD CROCODILE CACOPHONY HAS BEEN SPOTTED HOLY S***

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's KKR's pressure-escaping nair which is going to be our real best friend there.

But our boy Keith is going to absolutely **** horizontal recoveries with hitboxes...like DK's and possibly Diddy's if he's coming in at an angle. Also Bayo will need to witch twist horizontally at some point, which can be caught. Ridley, coming in from the side, Wolf's side+B, Wario's motorcycle...

We should start compiling a list of horizontal recovery hitboxes we should be trying to intercept and counter.
Do we know if K. Rool halts his momentum during counter startup? If so, jumping off stage, intercepting recoveries with counter, and up special to ledge could theoretically be a deliciously cheesy strategy.

Untouch

Smash Master
The DKC love we're getting with the music is amazing, we went from 7 remixes of the same song to this.

StormC

Smash Hero
Crocodile Cacophony is the most hype confirmation since K. Rool himself. Holy bejesus.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Crocodile Cacophony is the most hype confirmation since K. Rool himself. Holy bejesus.
Yes but Snakey Chantey came pretty close as well. If we get Hideout Helm or something I'm gonna die of excitement.

Here lies Mariomaniac45213, has died of Over hype! He was only 2 weeks away from Ultimate....

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
oof, dying of hype, fellow kutthroats.....Cacophony confirmation is just too much to handle

Damn, that's a nice surprise.

Best CC remix i've heard would be this:

I'm quietly hoping for DKC3 Bad Boss Boogie and DKC2 Boss Bossanova.

I'm all Jungle hi-jinxed out when it comes to Smash!

Some great call backs to the Kremling army there. No alternate costumes is a bit disappointing but beggars can't be choosers.

Since it`s the 24th Anniversary of :ultkrool:, I want to ask you guys a question. I`m sure it has already been discussed in this board before, but what were your first memories with the Kremling King? :)
Played a heap of DKC and DK64 as the SNES and N64 were my first consoles.

My early memory of K.Rool is fighting him in DKC.

Sounds cliche, but when the Kredits were rolling, I set the controller down thinking I beat him, only for him to do his thing and wipe me out with my last character. I turned to a friend who was watching me, trying to process what just happened. Ultimate fake out

DK64, though not one of my favourite platformers, seeing K.Rool so prevalent throughout the game sticks in my mind as one of my earlier memories of him as well. The Darth Vader like voice, his wacky mannerisms slowly turning into frustration and eventually insanity as the Kongs continue to progress throughout the adventure. Thats a highlight of DK64 for mine and excellent character development as a whole.

I was one of the pessimistic supporters later on. The K.Rool haters got to me "He's too fat and ugly", "Bowser knock-off!", "he's IRRELEVANT!", "he's owned by Microsoft" well that last one wasn't more of hate per se but either being INCREDIBLY stupid and uninformed or people trolling.
Not gonna lie, seeing the dead****s eat humble pie by K.Rool making it in is glorious considering all the crap K.Rool fans copped over the years, just for supporting the character.

(Especially the ones comparing K.Rool supporters to a white supremacist hate group all cos of a feeble attempt to connect an acronym and perceived "behaviours" with said group, really sad indictment on how low people in this community can go)

Sakurai and his team did an amazing job, K.Rools personality just shines through with every movement and facial expression.

Can. not. wait. its been 10+ years in the making!

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
A WILD CROCODILE CACOPHONY HAS BEEN SPOTTED HOLY S***

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL
MOTHER****ER YES. YES. YESSSSS! MY ONE BIG MUSIC WISH GRANTED. **** YES.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I`m really happy that we have more remixes of the DKC series. This series has among the best music I`ve heard in a video game, and the music development team making remixes of these series puts a really huge smile on my face of excitement. Haven`t played DKC2 or DKC3 yet like I mentioned before, but I love the soundtrack of DKC2 especially. GOD I LOVE THE SMASH MUSIC DEVELOPMENT TEAM AND I CAN`T WAIT FOR THE SOUNDTRACK. XD

Last edited:

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
What Crocodile Cacophony are y'all talking about? I don't hear **** over all that noise!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Okay guys. By tmr, it will be two weeks before the official release of Ultimate and our King`s Finest Hour :ultkrool:.

With that said, I`m going to stay out of the SmashBoards thread and avoid Internet to avoid spoilers (as some people do have the actual final game, and I do not want to get spoiled for the ending of WoL, which is the only spoiler I really care about for Ultimate) and also bc I have finals (sigh). I will come back in a few weeks after I played the entire Adventure Mode and unlocked all the fighters. With that said, I wish you all an amazing Smash time at release and have fun maining your Kremling Kommander. Let`s push our Kaptain as far as we can in this new meta of Ultimate.

See you at around the second half of December on the Battlefield. I can`t wait to play with you guys and practice competitive K Rool. :D

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This is insanely refreshing after how 4 neglected the DK franchise music wise. I was honestly not confident at all that we would get Crocodile Cacophony, I thought it was a pipe dream even. I thought they would just go for Gangplank Galleon and leave it at that while ignoring K. Rool's other theme songs, but seeing them go the extra mile and include Crocodile Cacophony within the same game as K. Rool is a dream come true.

Top Bottom