• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King K. Rool's Appearance

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I also thinks his design is a mix of the old one and the new one, and a good mix in general.
I like that his skin is not flat green, but it has the scales all over. PAON pure green is weird and a bit more childish. He looks less INSANE in comparison to the Rare design tho and I think this was made to (most) children actually enjoy him too.I like the blue crystal in the chest, always felt that as a improvement.

When his eyes goes all crazy, it feels like the best design I saw of him. When not... maybe yet the best design.
I personally loved.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I personally like it. I do agree that I would've preferred a more Rare-influenced approach, but I think the compromise they did with it was a good direction for him.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I love the way he looks. I especially like how they gave the "HA! Im a damn king!" persona that's reflected in all of his animations. (that sprint in the cinematic makes him look BEAST-MODE!)

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I’m glad that they went with that coloration instead of the neon green and yellow livery he had. I didn’t care much for his Smashified design either.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely glad they took from the Rare design mostly, with the darker skin and gold plated stomach and what not. I just wish he had the Rare version's head. As I've said before, I'm personally just not a fan of the flat face, small crown, and hardly any emphasis on the red eye from the Paon version.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think he looks flipping fantastic, honestly: Crazy and violent while still somehow goofy.

Also, his animations are fire: every action comes with a facial expression where he looks devious AF and I love it...

Paint_B

Smash Cadet
I actually really like his design. It works on all levels. I think the small tail and krown is a nice touch, making him look fatter and more exaggerated.

If he had his bigger krown he wouldn't look as fat.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think my only real complaint with the design itself is I wish the red eye was more prominent. But it does bulge in certain animations.

Oh yeah, I wish the crown was bigger too. Especially since it's an attack.

I've never hated the PAON design and they did a great job beefing it up, while keeping the gold belly. I'd call this about an 80% win, design-wise.
Yeah, I too wish the eye was more pronounced. If it were up to me, slightly bigger and more red, though I do like how it bulges out with certain animations.

*EDIT* I guess the only other minor gripe I have is that, while I don't mind the smaller arms, in fact they probably work better to animate him fluidly than those massive arms that almost reach to his feet at the ground, I wish his arms were muscular. I love how K. Rool is at once fat, but also swole in his legs and arms. The pudgy legs work fine, since his DKC1 model buff legs do make it look like he'd realistically be almost immobile, but he could have stood to have his ripped biceps and lower arms return.

On that note, I've warmed up to his all fours run, but I do kind of wish he had a fast run that copied his running animation from DKC1. Still, that might have been tough since he also had big feet and upon closer inspection, the way he ran in DKC1 doesn't make much sense. Also, it's a bit of a point of contention since I've seen some Rool supporters who have said they don't like that run.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The biggest „issue“ for me is actually his belching voice. It‘s not bad by any means and fits the more feral side they are going for, but sadly it means we won‘t be hearing any „Ahnk!“s or „yeah, thank you!“s.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
The biggest „issue“ for me is actually his belching voice. It‘s not bad by any means and fits the more feral side they are going for, but sadly it means we won‘t be hearing any „Ahnk!“s or „yeah, thank you!“s.
No kidding. I was hoping his iconic Kremling honk would make some sort of appearance, even if they didn't give him a talking voice.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Personally I saw his Smash design almost as a "what if?" Of how he could have looked in Returns/Tropical Freeze and dug it automatically.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I love his design as well. It looks so detailed, down to the scales, the worn out golden belly, and when in the right pose, he can look really scary, in a good way. His crown could have been bigger, though, but it is fine to me now. His eye tic looks good as well.

Plus, I love his animations, especially his feral running animation.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am really kurious to see the rest of his animations. What could his victory ones be, for example?

I can see him laughing maniacally while sitting on his throne as a reference to DK 64‘s game over,

Or wildly shooting about with his Blunderbuss, as a tribute to the opening scene from DKC2‘s boss battle

And, the one that would be the absolute kicker for me personally,
K Rool taking a nap on his throne, sucking his thumb with a clap trap resting on his feet. It‘s be hilarious!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They have this thing for animal-like voices for some fighters in Smash. DK, Diddy, Bowser all could have their more cartoony and funny voices, but they only make boring "real life" animal noises. Such a weird design decision. I want K. Rool's silly sounds, I want Bowser to say "showtime", etc.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
They have this thing for animal-like voices for some fighters in Smash. DK, Diddy, Bowser all could have their more cartoony and funny voices, but they only make boring "real life" animal noises. Such a weird design decision. I want K. Rool's silly sounds, I want Bowser to say "showtime", etc.
I'm happy that they do that with the voices. It makes the characters seem more realistic and intimidating. I don't like the goofy voices, as they feel so over the top, like they're trying way too hard to appeal to children. That's what I liked better about older Nintendo games; they could be appropriate for kids while at the same time not being ridiculously silly and maintaining some realism. The original Donkey Kong Country games are a perfect example of this. They had a somewhat cartoony art style, that also came off as somewhat realistic and had a degree of a serious tone to it.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy that they do that with the voices. It makes the characters seem more realistic and intimidating. I don't like the goofy voices, as they feel so over the top, like they're trying way too hard to appeal to children. That's what I liked better about older Nintendo games; they could be appropriate for kids while at the same time not being ridiculously silly and maintaining some realism. The original Donkey Kong Country games are a perfect example of this. They had a somewhat cartoony art style, that also came off as somewhat realistic and had a degree of a serious tone to it.
Agreed. I think part of the universal appeal of the Donkey Kong Country franchise is its ability to communicate and familiarize the characters through body language and facial expressions. There's no spoken dialog, and very little written. Hell you can meaningfully play through most DKC games without even having to read.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Gonna copy and paste my post about this from the other day on the DK board, since I imagine any k rool supporter on here is a big DKC fan, and I acknowledged k rool anyway--

Because the primal roars are much better than him sounding like an idiot. DKs goofy and fun personality is already captured in his standing animation, his character portrait, every single one of his victory poses, every single character trailer he appears in, his getting hit animations with his eyes bugging out...

You take away the only two things that make him intimidating, his scowls and his roars, and he just becomes a complete goofball. DK is basically Nintendo's Hulk. You should have a balance of both, like Hulk did in Thor Ragnarok. And while it's not 50/50 and the goofy side is highlighted a little bit more, we still have some of that balance

Also, smash takes the liberty of making every character a little more pissed off than usual. This doesn't just happen with DK. Even Mario is more pissed off than he's ever been (except strikers everyone was pissed in that game) because all these jabronis keep coming into his game stealing his spotlight. Even our latest newcomer, the communist King K. Rool, sounds like a monster.. despite never sounding like that. Why? Because he legitimately is a monster.

Tldr- It's a game where people beat the **** out each other. It makes sense to make most of the characters a little more angry, and put emphasis on the ferocity of DK and the rest of the monster-type characters

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I think part of the universal appeal of the Donkey Kong Country franchise is its ability to communicate and familiarize the characters through body language and facial expressions. There's no spoken dialog, and very little written. Hell you can meaningfully play through most DKC games without even having to read.
That's a very, very good point! I completely agree. I also like that the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy felt appropriate for people of all ages. It was friendly enough for kids, while at the same time serious enough for teenagers and adults. That's what I've always loved about the Smash series; they always seem to take the more serious, mature approach with characters. Sure, some characters still maintain a degree of silliness, especially if the character is mostly goofy (Wario, King Dedede). But they give you a version of each character that doesn't make you feel like you're too old to be playing video games haha. But each character approach feels entirely acceptable for people of all ages. I wish Nintendo would get back to more of this in general.

D

Deleted member

Everything about King K. Rool is awesome, hope too see more.

Kiba Fox

Smash Rookie
Only thing that bothers me is the crown.. Wish it was bigger. A bigger crown would make him look more intimidating imo.

Something I quickly made:

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Only thing that bothers me is the crown.. Wish it was bigger. A bigger crown would make him look more intimidating imo.

Something I quickly made:

I actually really like the look of that! Hopefully after the game has been out for some time, people will figure out how to do mods for it and someone could make this edit. I like that a lot better, even with it just being a quick edit. The small crown just doesn't go well with him being so large in my opinion.

StormC

Smash Hero
As much as I would like the big crown, it might risk clipping through platforms if it’s too big. Being big while thrown is a nice compromise at least.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would like the big crown, it might risk clipping through platforms if it’s too big. Being big while thrown is a nice compromise at least.
Completely agree. There's a part of me that feels they actually went with the smaller crown for that very reason. I feel like one workaround could've been just making the crown slightly wider, but not any taller.

It's just funny for me seeing this picture, because it makes me realize that the main gripe I have with the PAON design is the size of the crown. I would still much prefer the Rare design even if the PAON one had the larger crown, but I would like this design nearly as much if it just had a larger, more proportionate crown.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I love K. Rool's design in Smash. It's the kind of welding of the Rare and Paon models I always expected they'd go with. The little details like the scuffed up metal and tattered cape make him look even more wild and unhinged. I think the decision to have him run on all fours is pretty odd though, and I would've preferred him to be act a bit more anthropomorphic, but I like how it further emphasizes how unstable the guy is. It's seriously like he spent the last ten years alone in the jungle, and only now finally crawled his way back to civilization.

If I have any real gripes, it's with his voice. I'm personally in the "DK, Diddy, Bowser, et al should have their canon voices" camp, and I feel the same about K. Rool. He sounds very Dedede-esque here, which I'm not a fan of. Like I said, I prefer K. Rool to be more anthropomorphic, so I would've liked him to have a more human-like voice. He should have a maniacal cackle and some boastful taunts, and sound less like a wheezing airbag. Even if they wanted to go with the "realistic" angle, he still doesn't sound much like an actual crocodile to me. Still though, it's a very minor nitpick I have, and I'm 99.99% satisfied with K. Rool's depiction in Smash. I think they did a fantastic job with him. Better treatment than most characters have gotten, actually.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's true. But I also agree it sounds too much like Dedede. I mean, it's fine.

And personally, I don't actually think he should sound like DK64. But he should have the Kremling honk he had in DKC1 and DKC2.

He looks great in the trailer when he's charging at DK but I still think that first shot where he hits Dedede out of the way and looks at DK/Diddy looks weird. I think the lighting and angle make him look very different.

But in game, he looks great I think.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I like giving the monsters like DK and Bowser feral voices.

But I'd agree he does have a similar sound to dedede

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's definitely a mixture of both.

Classic design: Bloodshot eye and golden belly
Modern design: Smaller crown and jewel keeping his cape intact

His face otherwise seems to be have both features.

I also think the only unique trait on him is his barely noticeable but very short tail.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's definitely a mixture of both.

Classic design: Bloodshot eye and golden belly
Modern design: Smaller crown and jewel keeping his cape intact

His face otherwise seems to be have both features.

I also think the only unique trait on him is his barely noticeable but very short tail.
The bloodshot eye is in the modern design as well, just less prominent.

D

Deleted member

My favourite design of his outside the Classic one from Rare.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm just glad it's not exclusively the Paon design, the stomach was always intended to be armor, after all.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm just glad it's not exclusively the Paon design, the stomach was always intended to be armor, after all.
Am I the only one here hoping his modern design is a costume/skin? One of his potential costumes/skins alongside Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein and King K. Krusha Rool.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Am I the only one here hoping his modern design is a costume/skin? One of his potential costumes/skins alongside Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein and King K. Krusha Rool.
Sadly looking like he won't have any of that, if those leaked renders are anything to go by

Top Bottom